Thread: Sherman Collins - Alabama Death Row

Sherman Collins - Alabama Death Row

Sumter County jury recommends death penalty for New Orleans man in murder-for-hire

LIVINGSTON, Alabama - A Sumter County jury voted last week to recommend the death penalty to a New Orleans man hired to kill 31-year-old Sumter County resident Detrick Bell in 2012.

Earlier this month, the jury convicted Sherman Collins of capital murder for pecuniary gain and criminal conspiracy to commit murder. Last week, the jury voted 10-2 to recommend that Collins be put to death. In January, Circuit Judge Eddie Hardaway is scheduled to consider the jury's vote and impose sentencing.

"There was just no mitigation in this case," 17th Judicial Circuit District Attorney Greg Griggers told AL.com. "He was a contract killer."

John Stamps, a defense attorney in the case, said he and lead attorney Kyra Sparks didn't think it would be appropriate to comment on the case until after Collins was sentenced, but he said the defense "most definitely" plans to appeal the verdict.

Bell was shot and killed during a rap concert at the Morning Star Community Center, near Cuba, Ala., at about 1:30 a.m. on June 17, 2012, according to the Sumter County Record-Journal.

"In a nutshell, the evidence that we presented shows that Sherman was paid - offered payment - by another individual to kill Detrick Bell, the victim in the case, and that's what he did," Griggers said. "When he got to the Morning Star Community Center, he was armed with a pistol, and he walked up and shot him in front of a handful of witnesses pretty much at point black range."

Collins, who was 36 at the time of the murder, used an "extremely large caliber handgun," Griggers said. The .454 handgun "caused such extensive damage to the victim's head that the pathologist initially thought that it must have been a shotgun slug," Griggers said.

Sumter County resident Kelvin Wrenn is suspected of hiring Collins for the murder, and could face trial in the spring, Griggers said. The state is not seeking the death penalty for Wrenn.

"According to the shooter, Sherman Collins, he said it had something to do with a beef that the guy that paid him had with Mr. Bell, something that had happened four or five year prior to," Griggers said.

"He had access to this victim - the guy that paid him - for those four or five years, so I don't know why they would have picked this night to get even, but that's what [Collins told investigators], anyway."

The prosecution's case lasted about three days. The defense did not put on a case. Asked if that was unusual in a capital case, Griggers said no.

"Both sides were pretty much stuck with the witnesses who were there, and I felt like we did a good job of bringing to court anybody who had firsthand knowledge of what happened out there that night, or who had firsthand knowledge of the conspiracy I think that existed to kill our victim," Griggers said. "I don't think there would have been anybody they could have brought as a defense witness that could have added anything."

The jury deliberated for less than an hour before convicting Collins, according to Griggers.

http://www.al.com/news/tuscaloosa/in...l#incart_river
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Sherman Collins was officially sentenced to death on January 13, 2015 and entered Alabama's death row on February 4, 2015.

http://www.doc.state.al.us/InmateInfo.aspx

Court Upholds 2 Alabama Capital Cases

The Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals is upholding the cases of two men sentenced to death

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — The Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals is upholding the cases of two men sentenced to death.

The justices ruled Friday that Bart Wayne Johnson's death sentence for killing a Pelham police officer in Shelby County in 2009 can stand. The U.S. Supreme Court had ordered the state court to look at the case.

The high court ordered the review because of its decision that threw out Florida's system of letting judges override jury recommendations of life without parole.

Criminal Appeals says Alabama's law is different enough for the sentence to stand.

The court also upheld the conviction of Sherman Collins, who was sentenced to die for the 2012 murder of Detrick Bell in Sumter County. The court did order a judge to rewrite the sentencing order.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...-capital-cases
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Alabama court upholds death sentence for New Orleans man

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — An appeals court has upheld the capital murder conviction and death sentence of a New Orleans man condemned to die for a contract killing in west Alabama.

The Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals turned away a challenge by death row inmate Sherman Collins on Friday.

The 43-year-old Collins was convicted in the shooting death of Detrick Bell in Sumter County in 2012. Evidence showed he was hired to kill Bell, who was shot to death at a small-town rap concert.

Collins claimed the judge who sentenced him to die didn't give enough consideration to his rough childhood and lack of a father figure.

The court turned away that challenge. It also ruled that the death penalty for Collins wasn't out of line with the sentence in similar cases.

https://www.ncadvertiser.com/news/cr...w-14563071.php

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Rehearing denied by the Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals.

https://law.justia.com/cases/alabama...r-14-0753.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Death sentence affirmed in part, reversed in part, and remanded to the ACCA for further instructions by the ASC.

https://law.justia.com/cases/alabama...1/1200443.html

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    Sherman Collins is back on Alabama Death Row, as shown in the ADOC roster updated on 12/09/2021.

http://www.doc.state.al.us/deathrow

Distributed for conference April 22, 2022.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/21-7371.html

Petition for certiorari denied.

Lower Ct: Supreme Court of Alabama
    Case Numbers: (1200443)
    Decision Date: November 5, 2021

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/21-7371.html

Thread Information