Summary of Offense: Convicted and sentenced to death for the July 1, 1985 rape and murder of two roommates.

Gibbs worked and lived at the Conroe, Texas apartment complex where Bryant and Ackland lived. Both women were outpatients of the Texas Department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation.

Gibbs confessed after his fingerprints were found at the scene and human blood found on his boots. In his statement, Gibbs stated:"While I was having sex with her, I cut her throat. I don't know why I did it." Next, he raped Bryant and slashed her throat with a butcher knife, and ransacked the place to make it look like the women were killed in a burglary.

Gibbs was previously convicted of theft robbery and burglary, and on parole after early release at the time of the murders.

In 1990, while in jail for Ms. Bryant's rape and murder, Gibbs was also convicted of voluntary manslaughter for killing another death row inmate, Calvin Williams. Gibbs received a 20 year sentence for that homicide.

Victims:
Marietta Bryant, 29, and Carol Ackland, 46

Manner of execution:
Lethal injection

Time of Death:
6:18 p.m.

Last Meal:
Chef salad (any dressing except oil and vinegar), two bacon cheeseburgers all the way (cut the onions), deep fried home fries (with chili powder on top), pitcher of fruit flavored milkshake, two scotch eggs (boiled and packed in a sausage roll, battered and deep-fried and served with syrup), slice of pie

Final Statement:
Gibbs told Mickey Bryant, Marietta's brother, "I have wronged you and your family, and for that I am truly sorry. I forgive and have been forgiven."