Thread: George Kent Wallace - Oklahoma Execution - August 10, 2000

George Kent Wallace - Oklahoma Execution - August 10, 2000

Summary of Offense: Convicted and sentenced to death for the 1987 abduction and murder of William Von Eric Domer and the 1990 abduction and murder of Mark Anthony McLaughlin.

In December 1990, Wallace was arrested in Arkansas and charged with the abduction and attempted murder of Ross Allen Ferguson, who advised that he had been picked in a parking lot up by a man posing as a police officer. He was then taken to a nearby pond and stabbed six times. He pretended to be dead, then jumped up, pushed down his attacker, jumped in the car and took off. Wallace was arrested later that night walking in the area of the abduction. Ferguson identified him in a lineup. Wallace later was sentenced to three life prison terms, plus 60 years, after pleading guilty to abducting four other teenagers and trying to kill Ferguson.

Wallace was questioned regarding two bodies previously found in a pond in Oklahoma. Mark Anthony McLaughlin, 14, was last seen on November 11, 1990, at a Van Buren convenience store. His body was found the next day. William Eric Domer, 15, was found on February 23, 1987. Wallace confessed to the murders and led authorities to a pasture where a .22-caliber pistol was found, later identified as the same gun used to shoot both McLaughlin and Domer in the back of the head. According to the confession, Wallace paddled both teenagers with a paddle during the abduction.

While in prison, Wallace also confessed to two murders in North Carolina. At trial, Wallace took the witness stand and told the judge he wanted to die as quickly as possible.

Victims:
    William Von Eric Domer and Mark Anthony McLaughlin

Manner of execution:
    Lethal injection

Time of Death:
    9:27 p.m.

Last Meal:
    Eight pieces of fried chicken, four biscuits and a pint of banana pudding flavored frozen custard

Final Statement:
    He looked toward his attorneys and spiritual advisers and mouthed, "I love you."
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

August 11, 2000

Escaped victim watches killer's execution

McALESTER - Nearly 10 years ago, serial killer George Kent Wallace tried to take Ross Alan Ferguson's life.

Wallace - who had a three-decade history of posing as an undercover police officer to prey on boys - stuck handcuffs and leg irons on Ferguson, beat him with a plunger handle and stabbed him six times.

Miraculously, Ferguson escaped.

"I pretended to be dead and eventually was able to knock him down and steal his car," Ferguson recalled Thursday night, a few hours before his attacker was executed in the murders of two Arkansas boys.

Ferguson's 1990 escape was the break law enforcement officials needed.

About 30 to 40 minutes after Ferguson called 911, authorities captured Wallace and linked him to the murders of William Von Eric Domer, 15, and Mark Anthony McLaughlin, 14. Both boys' bodies were dumped in an eastern Oklahoma pond, albeit nearly four years apart.

Thursday night, Ferguson watched from behind tinted glass as the state Corrections Department pumped lethal drugs into Wallace's veins.

"I wish he could have seen me," Ferguson said. "That would have given me a little satisfaction. Overall, I'm pleased he's dead."

Ferguson, now 28 and a paramedic in Crawford County, Ark., said he came to witness the execution to honor the real victims - Domer and McLaughlin.

Wallace, 59, was pronounced dead at 9:27 p.m. in Oklahoma's first evening execution.

The state previously carried out executions just after midnight.

The time was changed to make it more convenient for victims' relatives to attend, corrections officials said.

Even as Wallace's execution approached, questions remained concerning whether he killed other boys.

Between 1966 and 1988, he served more than 17 years in North Carolina prisons for impersonating an officer to get young boys.

He reportedly confessed to a North Carolina sheriff's investigator in 1996 that he killed two boys there, one in 1976 and another in 1982.

Wallace also was suspected in the 1990 murder of Alonzo Don Cade, 12, of Fort Smith, Ark.

But Wallace decided not to meet this week with an Arkansas investigator about the Cade case, and he abruptly canceled a planned visit Thursday from a North Carolina sheriff's deputy.

"There are... unanswered questions about Mr. Wallace's activities," Oklahoma Attorney General Drew Edmondson said before the execution. "Unfortunately, they may remain unanswered."

Wallace made no final statement.

As the lethal drugs were injected at 9:22 p.m. and the prison chaplain read from Psalm 23, he looked toward his attorneys and spiritual advisers and mouthed, "I love you."

He gave one of his spiritual advisers a thumbs-up sign with his left hand, which was strapped to the gurney.

When the doctor gave Wallace's time of death, McLaughlin's mother, Bonni Haag, exclaimed, "Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!"

Later, Haag told reporters, "I'm feeling a great relief that he is finally dead and burning in hell."

She recalled her son as a great kid who wanted to be an Arkansas Razorback from the time he was 3 years old. He later decided that he wanted to be a doctor or a lawyer.
    "He wanted to know which one paid most," his mom said.

Ferguson said he was disappointed Wallace showed no remorse.

Edmondson said his thoughts were with the families of Domer and McLaughlin, "two teen-age boys who thought they were dealing with a police officer, but were instead dealing with a murderer."

Wallace pleaded guilty in March 1991 in Le Flore County to killing Domer and McLaughlin. The bodies were found in a pond near Pocola.

In both cases, Wallace posed as a police officer while abducting the boys. He placed handcuffs and leg irons on them and drove them to the pond.

At the pond, he pulled their pants down, beating Domer with a wooden rod and McLaughlin with a plunger handle.

He then shot them in the back, removed the handcuffs and leg irons, and threw their bodies in the pond.

Domer, of Fort Smith, Ark., was kidnapped Feb. 17, 1987. His body was found Feb. 22, 1987.

McLaughlin's body was found Nov. 12, 1990. He had been reported missing from Van Buren, Ark., that same day.

The break in the case came about a month later when Wallace pulled behind Ferguson's truck on Dec. 9, 1990. Ferguson, then 18, was leaving a grocery store where he worked when Wallace asked to see his driver's license and told him to turn off his engine.

Wallace frisked Ferguson, placed handcuffs and leg irons on him and drove five to seven miles to a point where a pile of dirt hid the car from the highway.

Wallace then turned off the car and asked Ferguson "the last time his father had given him a whipping," according to an Oklahoma attorney general's report.

"Pulling out a plunger handle, Wallace came around to Ferguson's side of the car, pulled down his pants and underwear to his ankles and beat him with the rod for at least five minutes," the report stated.

About 20 to 30 feet down the road, Wallace stabbed Ferguson five times in the back and once in the arm. Ferguson pretended he was dead as Wallace dragged him toward a pond.

As Wallace removed the handcuffs and leg irons, Ferguson jumped up and knocked Wallace down. He then ran up the hill and beat Wallace to the car. Wallace had left the keys in the car, and Ferguson raced to a nearby residence to seek help.

He spent nearly five years in the Navy after the ordeal.

"Getting away from this thing really helped me," he said.

But the weeks leading up to the execution brought all his emotions back. He doesn't consider himself a hero.

"I honestly believe I was a vessel, and God used me as a tool to stop this methodical killer."

http://newsok.com/escaped-victim-wat...707369/?page=1
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information