Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jerome Jenkins, Jr. - South Carolina Death Row

Senior Member Frequent Poster joe_con's Avatar
    Found his DOB. It is 4/3/1994.

SC Supreme Court to hear convicted Sunhouse killer's case in October

By Heather Gale
    WPDE News

HORRY COUNTY, S.C. (WPDE) — The death penalty sentence for a Loris man convicted in the 2015 Sunhouse murders is scheduled to be heard by the South Carolina Supreme Court in October.

Jerome Jenkins was found guilty in 2019 of attempted murder, armed robbery, and murder. He was then sentenced to death.

This case was the first death penalty case to be tried in Horry County since 2008.

Jenkins and two other men, McKinley Daniels, who pleaded guilty, and James Daniels, who was found guilty, killed 40-year old Bala Paruchuri in January 2015.

Less than a month later, the same three men went to the Scotchman convenience store off Lake Arrowhead Road and robbed the store at gunpoint. No one was killed in that robbery, but police said the three men went to a second Sunhouse gas station later that night in Conway, where they shot and killed cashier Trisha Dawn Stull.

In this death penalty appeal, the Court will consider a constitutional challenge to section 16-3-20(B) of the South Carolina Code (2015) and several evidentiary and procedural rulings made by the trial court.

S.C. Code Section 16-3-20(B) deals with holding a separate sentencing proceeding when the state seeks the death penalty in a case.

Jenkins was found guilty on Saturday, May 11, 2019. His sentencing phase started Monday, May 13, 2019.

Jenkins' attorneys are also arguing about the court not allowing a forensic psychiatrist to offer a piece of evidence regarding one of the co-defendants telling Jenkins to kill Stull; not allowing the defense counsel to inform the jury during the penalty phase of what would happen if they didn't come to a unanimous decision; by refusing to disqualify or excuse two jurors for different reasons; by refusing to exclude evidence of pre-trial misconduct at the Department of Corrections; and by excluding evidence of a riot at a state facility where Jenkins' was housed at the time that would have shown, according to the documents, Jenkins' inability to cope while being held in dangerous maximum-security prisons as a pre-trial detainee.

The state supreme court justices will hear Jenkins' case at 10:30 a.m. on Oct. 12.

https://wpde.com/news/local/south-ca...ase-in-october
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

S.C. Supreme Court upholds death sentence for man convicted in Sunhouse robbery, murder

By Kristen Nelson
    WMBF News

HORRY COUNTY, S.C. (WMBF) – The death sentence for a man convicted in the 2015 Sunhouse armed robbery and murder will stand.

The South Carolina Supreme Court upheld Jerome Jenkins’ conviction and death sentence in an opinion that was filed on Wednesday.

He was convicted in 2019 in the armed robbery and murder of 40-year-old clerk Bala Parachuri at the Sunhouse convenience store in Longs. Authorities said Jenkins is also connected to another armed robbery a few weeks later at a Sunhouse store that left 30-year-old clerk Trisha Stull dead, as well as the armed robbery of the Scotchman store on Lake Arrowhead Road on the same day.

Jenkins’ defense claimed that several errors were made during his trial that led to a jury sentencing him to death.

He alleged that the trial court denied him the right to plead guilty and be sentenced by a jury. He also argued that the court refused to admit a statement made by an expert witness into evidence. Jenkins also claimed two jurors selected for the case didn’t meet the qualifications in the death penalty case.

After reviewing the arguments made, the state Supreme Court ruled that the death penalty was not an excessive sentence.

“Jenkins’ admission to those crimes coupled with the aggravating circumstances of Jenkins’ future dangerousness and the evidence that Jenkins committed two more armed robberies and a murder just weeks later leads us to conclude the death sentence was neither excessive nor disproportionate,” the state Supreme Court stated.

Jenkins is currently being held at the Broad River Correctional Institution in Columbia. An execution date has not been set.

Two other men were also charged in the armed robberies and murders.

McKinley Daniels pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 45 years in prison. He also faced the death penalty but the court found him intellectually disabled and ordered he not be prosecuted under the death penalty.

James Daniels was found guilty and sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

S.C. Supreme Court ruling on Jerome Jenkins death sentence
    by WMBF News on Scribd

https://www.wmbfnews.com/2022/04/06/...obbery-murder/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Distributed for conference November 4, 2022.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/22-5513.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court DENIED Jenkins' petition for certiorari.

Lower Ct: Supreme Court of South Carolina
    Case Numbers: (28089)
    Decision Date: April 6, 2022
    Rehearing Denied: June 7, 2022

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/...22zor_8m58.pdf

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information