Summary of Offense: Convicted and sentenced to death for the murder of Nancy Rose Lee McKinney in September 1985.

On August 20, 1985, the disappearance of Nancy Rose Lee McKinney, 37, was reported by her mother. James Glenn Robedeaux, 36, the woman’s boyfriend, was arrested on the morning of November 15, 1985, although her body had not been found. The charge alleged he beat the woman to death in Oklahoma City on or about September 17, 1985. The charge was based on stains found on the carpet, on Robedeaux’s jeans, and the seat cover of his pickup, which were identified as the same blood type A as McKinney.

A left leg was found on December 28, 1985, by two boys while they were playing in a creek near Wellston. On February 3, 1986, a skull was found in a rural yard where it had apparently been dragged by a dog. The state medical examiner’s office identified the skull as McKinney’s by comparing X-rays. An arm was found on February 15, 1986. No other body parts were found.

During a preliminary hearing in February 1986, Lisa Gail Austin testified that Robedeaux had told her about Nancy. She said he told her that he killed her and buried her and that he cut her up. A sheriff’s deputy testified that Robedeaux said he suffered a split lip and McKinney bled heavily after he did a pretty good number on her face.

In November 1978, Robedeaux plead guilty to strangling to death his first wife, Linda Sue Robedeaux in March 1978. He was sentenced on a second degree murder conviction and given a sentence of 25 years in prison with 15 years suspended. In February 1983, he also received an additional year in prison for escaping when he failed to return to Oklahoma City Community Treatment Center on July 27, 1982. He was released in September 1984. On November 19, 1985, he was charged with attempting to kill his second wife, Doris M. Robedeaux, by choking her. Doris Robedeaux told police that she and her husband were separated, but she went to meet him after he said that he wanted to try to get back together. Doris Robedeaux suffered a broken nose and fractured eye socket during that beating. The jury was not told of this history at trial.

Victim:
Nancy Rose Lee McKinney

Manner of execution:
Lethal injection

Time of Death:
12:28 a.m.

Last Meal:
N/A

Final Statement:
"Dad," he said, "I just want you to know I love you. Tell Mother I love her. Tell Sister I love her. Tell the kids I love them." He assured his father he had found salvation and encouraged him to trust Christ. "I'll see you again," he said. He asked McKinney's family for forgiveness. His last words were: "God bless you all. I'm going to be all right. I love you."