Summary of Offense: Convicted and sentenced to death for the September 17, 1987 murder of elementary school teacher Lori Barrett.

Elementary school teacher Lori Barrett, 27, was last seen alive as she left her night job, at the Dillard's department store in Abilene, Texas, on the evening of September 17, 1987. When she did not arrive home, the school superintendent, Cecil Davis, drove to Lori's house. He found no one at home and reported her missing to police. Later that day, police went to her home, which appeared in normal condition except for a bathroom window ajar and glass in the sink. Pry marks were found outside the window and her car was missing. Her car was later found abandoned at Abilene Christian University.

A private investigator hired by the family eventually questioned an acquaintance of Clayton, who said that he had seen Clayton driving the car on September 17th, and that he had borrowed the car from someone named Lori. Clayton lived only a half block away from Lori's home and when questioned by police, admitted that he had been driving the car without her permission. He was then arrested for unlawful use of a motor vehicle. In a trash dumpster outside Clayton's apartment, Lori's sister discovered the license plate from Lori's car, mail with Lori's name on it, and a belt which Lori had worn on September 17th. Executing a search warrant on Clayton's home, police found an insurance card with Lori Barrett's name on it.

Barrett's body was ultimately found on September 29th in neighboring Jones County. The body, already in a state of advanced decomposition, was wrapped in a blanket, secured with black electrical wire. The coroner stated that there had been two "through-and-through" high velocity gunshot wounds to Lori's head and neck. He also noted that a ligature and gag had been applied to her neck and mouth. A Remington Peters .243 caliber cartridge case was also found. Lori Barrett's body was identified through the use of dental records. In second search of Clayton's home, police recovered a Winchester .243 caliber rifle and ammunition, later determined to be the murder weapon. Clayton claimed that he had stolen the rifle that was used as the murder weapon from a former roommate's home about a week before the murder.

Victim:
Lori Barrett

Manner of execution:
Lethal injection

Time of Death:
6:17 p.m.

Last Meal:
Three chicken breasts (fried), fresh lettuce and cucumber salad with light vinegar salad dressing on the side, a large pitcher of ice water

Final Statement:
“I would like to use this moment as an example for Christ. I would like to follow his example and leave with peace in my heart and forgiveness. There is no anger in my heart about this entire situation.