Summary of Offense:
Convicted and sentenced to death for the April 5, 1984 robbery and murder of Gary Michael Cox.

At 7:15 a.m. on April 5, 1984, Gary Cox woke up, showered, and got a cup of coffee. He left his wife and nine-day-old daughter at home and went to work at his combination feed store, convenience store, and gas station. The store was a mile from Cox's home and two miles west of Springtown. A customer arrived at 7:30 and was immediately ordered out by a man with a shotgun. A neighbor walked towards the store, heard a gunshot and saw Gary Cox fall after he had been shot. A white over red Chevy fled from the scene. Cox was dead from a shotgun blast and the cash drawer was open and empty.

Earlier at 4:00 a.m., a Sheriff's deputy had checked a white over red Chevy parked on a nearby service road and obtained the drivers license of Foster, who was with a woman later identified as Vicki Easterwood. Police tracked down Easterwood, who directed police to a stock tank located in a rural area, and clothing, a .12 gauge shotgun shell, and a sawed-off shotgun was found inside.

Foster was apprehended after holding several bank employees hostage for 12 hours during a robbery. During a hearing in federal court in March 2000, Foster admitted, for the first time, the commission of the instant offense, claiming that it was an accident.

Foster was previously convicted of aggravated robbery in 1976. After his death sentence, Foster was transferred for trial on the kidnapping/hostage charges and escaped while awaiting trial from Stephens County Jail. Before capture, he hijacked a truck from a teenager. Ultimately, he was convicted of the kidnapping charges and was sentenced to four life sentences. He also received a 20-year sentence for escape.

Foster was a Vietnam veteran.

Victim:
Gary Michael Cox

Manner of execution:
Lethal injection

Time of Death:
N/A

Last Meal:
Beef fajita, blooming onion, fried chicken (white meat), jalapeno peppers, large Caesar salad with blue cheese dressing, bread rolls with butter, vanilla ice cream, three bananas, one Coke, a pot of coffee, and a pack of cigarettes (prohibited by TDCJ regulations)

Final Statement:
"I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who lives, but Christ who lives in me."