Summary of Offense: Convicted and sentenced to death for the December 17, 1986 robbery and murder of a liquor store clerk.

Accomplice Michael Ellison testified at trial that on December 17, 1986 he asked James McHenry to take him to a liquor store. McHenry agreed and Richardson went with them. At the liquor store, Ellison and McHenry went inside and Richardson waited in the car. While Ellison was paying for some beer, Richardson entered the store. As McHenry walked out of the store, Richardson suddenly shot the clerk, Gerald Abay, 35, in the neck with a .25 caliber pistol. Richardson then shot Abay a second time in the chest. Abay pulled out his .38 caliber pistol and shot at Richardson several times. Abay shot Richardson in the thumb and shattered the glass in the front doors of the liquor store. Ellison took money out of the cash register, as well as Abay's .25 caliber pistol, which was kept behind the cash register.

Ellison testified that Richardson drove the car after the robbery and handed his own .25 caliber pistol to McHenry who put it in the glove compartment. Both McHenry and Ellison gave information leading to Richardson, whose blood and fingerprints were found on the abandoned getaway car, where the murder weapon was located. Richardson was treated for a gunshot wound to the hand.

First death sentence was reversed because the court reporter misplaced a portion of the trial transcription. On retrial, Richardson was again convicted and sentenced to death. Richardson had been paroled three months before the murder after serving four months of a five-year sentence for a burglary conviction.

Accomplices Michael James Ellison and James McHenry both received life sentences.

Victim:
Gerald Abay

Manner of execution:
Lethal injection

Time of Death:
N/A

Last Meal:
Fresh fried chicken (no skin, five breasts and 20 wings), carrot cake, white coconut cake, and cheesecake with cherry topping

Final Statement:
“Heavenly Father, I truly repent, really I do,” he said. “I ask you lift me up, you bring me home, and hold my family safe. Dear Heavenly Father, please bring me home.”