Police Officer Richard Oldham Riggs

Summary of Offense: Convicted and sentenced to death for the January 7, 1986 murder of a police officer.

Following a January 7, 1986 robbery of Tom’s Market on 1000 N.E. 36th Street in Oklahoma City, the suspects stopped at a gas station, and Boyd got out to use a pay phone. Oklahoma City Officer Richard Riggs, 32, stopped to investigate and ordered Boyd to take his hands out of his pockets. With his hands still concealed in the pockets of his coat, Boyd shot Officer Riggs in the abdomen. Boyd then placed the gun against the chest of Officer Riggs and fired a second shot, killing him.

A passing motorist testified that he saw the guy on the phone fire at the police officer. Along with his rookie partner, Riggs managed to return fire. Boyd claimed a hitchhiker took the gun from his knapsack and shot Riggs. He said there was no gunpowder residue on his hands, but prosecutors said Boyd was arrested a day after Riggs was killed and had ample time to wash his hands. Accomplice Lenora Dunn pled guilty and was sentenced to 40 years in prison.

Victim:
Richard Oldham Riggs

Manner of execution:
Lethal injection

Time of Death:
12:21 a.m.

Last Meal:
catfish, French fries, plums, strawberry shortcake, grapes and a cherry Sprite

Final Statement:
"I want to tell my family I love them. I'm all right, I'm at peace with God, I'm fine."