Thread: Amanuel Menghesha Sentenced to Life Plus 375 Years in 2015 GA Murder of Police Officer Terence Avery Green

Amanuel Menghesha Sentenced to Life Plus 375 Years in 2015 GA Murder of Police Officer Terence Avery Green

Amanuel Menghesha

Veteran Fulton police officer ambushed, killed near Fairburn ID’d

UPDATE: The veteran Fulton County police officer shot in the head and killed early Wednesday in what the assistant chief described as an ambush-style attack has been identified as Terence Avery Green, according to Channel 2 Action News.

Family members confirmed Green was a 22-year veteran of the department.

Channel 2 sources have also confirmed the name of the suspect. He has been identified as Amanuel Menghesha.

ORIGINAL STORY: A veteran Fulton County police officer was shot in the head and killed early Wednesday in what the assistant chief described as an ambush-style attack.

The shooting happened around 1 a.m. at a home on Chastain Way, in a neighborhood off Cedar Grove Road.

Channel 2 Action News reported that the officer was among several responding to a call that shots had been fired inside the home.

By the time officers arrived, the gunman had left the home and was roaming the neighborhood, the station reported.

The officers were immediately fired upon, and as they ran for cover, one was shot in the back of the head, according to Channel 2.

A second officer was also hit, but the suspect’s bullet struck his duty belt area, shattering his police radio but not wounding the officer, the station reported.

“It was dark and it was foggy,” Fulton police Assistant Chief Gary Stiles told Channel 2. “They were doing their job, trying to protect this neighborhood from somebody that was shooting, and the way it appears to me, they were ambushed without warning.”

The gravely wounded officer was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. His name has not been released.

Other officers returned fire, wounding the suspect, according to Channel 2.

The wounded suspect was also taken to Grady, and was alert and conscious. His name has also not been released.

At daybreak, police continued to examine a crime scene that spanned about three blocks. The suspect’s home on nearby Parks Trail was surrounded by police tape, and Stiles said police recovered the suspect’s weapon, described as a “long gun.”

The suspect was known to police from previous alcohol-related calls to his home, Channel 2 reported.

“I got a call tonight that every police chief dreads and prays never happens,” Fulton police Chief Cassandra Jones said from outside Grady Memorial Hospital. “I got a call that I had lost one of my officers.”

Jones asked that the community “please be with us and pray for us. We have to pray for all our family members, and the officer’s family members foremost.”

Jones said the slain officer had been on the force for about 22 years.

“He worked in many divisions of the police department,” she said. “A very dedicated officer.

“We’re all grieving terribly. We’re probably not handing it well, but we’re trying to stay strong.”

Stiles echoed the chief’s sentiments.

“I think you can guess where my heart’s at,” Stiles said. “It’s heartbreaking. The men and women of this department obviously are going to be heartbroken over it.”

According to the Officer Down Memorial Page website, the last Fulton County police officer killed in the line of duty was Aaron Jovon Blount, who was shot April 22, 2003, on a traffic stop in south Fulton’s Red Oak community. The last Fulton County sheriff’s deputy killed in the line of duty was Hoyt Teasley, who was shot to death by Brian Nichols on March 11, 2005.

Nichols, on trial for rape, overwhelmed a deputy and burst into a courtroom, killing Fulton Superior Court Judge Rowland Barnes and his court reporter Julie Brandau. While escaping, Nichols shot and killed Teasley, another deputy outside the courthouse.

Alfred Printup lives on the street where Wednesday’s shooting happened. He said that as he arrived home from work a little after midnight, police told him that there was a gunman loose in the area.

“They asked me if I could leave the area until they had him in custody,” Printup told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

“Once I left the area, I called my wife to let her know there was a gunman loose in our neighborhood, and as I was talking to her, we heard the gunfire going off,” he said. “We heard about three volleys of rounds going off at different times.”

He said the incident was “very frightening” for his wife. “At the time, she and my son took a position on the floor just to stay low and get out of the way of a possible stray round.”

Printup, who has lived on Chastain Way for eight years, said news of the officer’s death “broke my heart, to know that he cared enough to give his life protecting my family and my community.”

— Staff photographer John Spink contributed to this report.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/fulton-...fairbur/nkNRr/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Fulton officer’s accused killer charged with murder

The man accused of shooting and killing a veteran Fulton County police officer has been charged with murder and aggravated assault, police said Thursday.

Amanuel Menghesha, 42, of Fairburn, allegedly shot Detective Terence Avery Green in the back of the head early Wednesday as several officers responded to a report of shots being fired, according to police. Green, 48, died from his injuries.

Menghesha was also shot, possibly by a Fulton deputy that was assisting officers, police said. Arrest warrants were obtained for Menghesha later Wednesday while he was being treated at Grady Memorial Hospital. He was also charged with possession of a firearm during a felony, Detective Melissa Parker said.

Menghesha was in stable condition Thursday afternoon at Grady. Witnesses, including other officers, were being interviewed Thursday about the fatal shooting, Parker said.

Fulton police had been called before to Menghesha’s home in the 7000 block of Parks Trail. In November, he was arrested after allegedly assaulting his daughter and choking and threatening to kill his fiancée. He was due in court Monday to answer the charges.

Several residents called 911 reporting gunfire early Wednesday. By the time police arrived, Menghesha had left the home and wandered three blocks away, to Chastain Way, shooting indiscriminately, Fulton police Chief Cassandra Jones said.

Investigators believe Menghesha was intoxicated.

Green, a 22-year veteran of the department, was well known in the community where he worked. The father of four attended high school in East Point and Morris Brown College before becoming an officer.

His close-knit group of friends called him a hero for protecting and serving the community.

“He had the gift of being able to understand life,” longtime friend Carlton Gammage told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “Our friend will go down as a hero. Protect and serve, that’s what he was doing. He was protecting and serving.”

Funeral arrangements had not been announced Thursday afternoon for Green.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/fulton-...-murder/nkPZn/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Edited:

Alleged cop killer moved from Grady to Fulton County jail

The man accused of shooting and killing a veteran Fulton County police officer was moved from Grady Memorial Hospital to jail Friday, according to a spokesman for the Fulton County Sheriff’s Office.

Amanuel Menghesha, 42, of Fairburn, allegedly shot Terence Avery Green in a south Fulton neighborhood on March 4. Green, 48, died after being shot in the back of the head.

Officers returned fire striking Menghesha, who survived and was transported to Grady for treatment. Hours later, Mengheshaa was charged in his hospital bed with murder, aggravated assault and possession of a firearm during a felony, according to police.

Menghesha’s injuries were not life-threatening, but he spent more than two weeks in the hospital. On Friday, he was transported to the Fulton County jail, spokeswoman Tracy Flanagan said. Menghesha is expected to make his first court appearance Saturday at 11 a.m. at the jail.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/alleged...on-coun/nkbpH/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Edited:

Bond denied for alleged Fulton County cop killer

Bond was denied Friday morning for Amanuel Menghesha, the man accused of killing veteran Fulton County police detective Terence Avery Green.

Channel 2 Action News reported that, in addition to denying bond in Friday morning’s hearing, a Fulton County judge decided probable cause existed for the murder and other charges filed against 42-year-old Menghesha, who is accused of ambushing Green in a south Fulton neighborhood on March 4.

The case will now move to superior court.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/bond-de...-killer/nkmS4/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Edited:

Fulton officer’s accused killer indicted on murder charges

By Alexis Stevens
    The Atlanta Journal Constitution

The man accused of killing a veteran Fulton County police officer in an ambush attack has been indicted on murder charges, the District Attorney said Tuesday.

Amanuel Menghesha, 42, of Fairburn, allegedly shot Detective Terence Avery Green in the back of the head in March as several officers responded to a report of shots being fired, according to police. Green, 48, died from his injuries.

A 22-year veteran of the department, Green was killed in the early-morning hours of March 4 as he and six other officers searched for the suspect in The Parks of Cedar Grove subdivision in south Fulton County, according to police.

The 29-count indictment returned Friday against Menghesha includes charges of murder, felony murder, criminal attempt to commit murder, aggravated assault against a peace officer, reckless conduct, criminal damage to property, violating family violence order and weapons offenses in connection with the shooting death of Green, DA Paul Howard said.

A trial date has not yet been scheduled.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/f...murder-/nmSzM/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Fulton DA seeks death penalty in case of accused cop killer

The Fulton County District Attorney’s Office confirms that the District Attorney is seeking the death penalty in the case against a man accused of killing a Fulton County police detective.

Investigators said Detective Terence Avery Green was shot in the back of the head just after midnight on March 4 after he and other officers responded to “shots fired” calls from neighbors in a Fairburn subdivision.

Police said the suspect, Amanuel Menghesha, went on a rampage in his neighborhood, allegedly firing an AK-47 into people’s homes. Police fired back at him, injuring the suspect.

Menghesha is charged with murder, possession of a firearm and aggravated assault of a police officer after he allegedly shot Green.

Thousands of law enforcement officers from all over the country paid their respects for Detective Green following the shooting.

Green grew up in the Atlanta area. He studied criminal justice at Morris Brown and his only law enforcement post was for Fulton County. He served 22 years.

Green was a father of four adult sons and was engaged.

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/29...on-county-case
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Man accused in shooting death of officer appears in court

By WGCL Digital Team
    WGCL News

FULTON COUNTY, GA (CBS46) - Motion hearings have begun in the case of a man accused of shooting a Fulton County police officer to death in March of 2015.

Amanuel Menghesha, 42, is accused of shooting officer Terence Green, a 22-year veteran with the Fulton County Police Department.

Investigators say the 48 year-old Green was responding to a 911 call in the early morning hours of March 4 when he was shot multiple times at The Parks at Cedar Grove in Fairburn.

Police said the incident stemmed from a 911 call about a man who had fired shots inside a home on Parks Trail. The first officers arrived at 12:43 a.m. and learned that Menghesha had left the home and was possibly intoxicated.

Other officers arrived on the scene and began searching for Menghesha. About 45 minutes later, more calls came into the 911 center from another part of the neighborhood about half a mile away. Officers were nearby and heard the shots, too.

“At some point, the officers who were searching came under fire without warning from the suspect,” said Fulton County Assistant Police Chief Gary Stiles shortly after the incident. “One of our officers was struck.”

Other officers fired back, striking Menghesha.

Police records and neighbors indicated Menghesha had a number of arrests on violent charges in the past.

Records obtained by CBS46 News indicate Menghesha was charged with assault, terroristic threats, possession of a firearm and family violence in November of 2014.

A police report in August of 2014 indicated Menghesha was charged with battery for allegedly getting into a bloody fight with George's son. In November of 2013, police arrested him for refusing to pay his tab at a Union City bar.

Menghesha is facing charges of murder, aggravated assault and possession of a firearm during a felony in the killing of Green.

http://www.wtvm.com/story/32413245/m...ppear-in-court

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

4 years later, family still waits for justice after officer killed in ambush

By Tom Jones
    WSB-TV Atlanta News

SOUTH FULTON COUNTY, Ga. - Family and friends are gathering to remember a police officer killed in an ambush attack.

Fulton County police Officer Terence Green, a 22-year veteran of the force, died four years ago as officers responded to a shots fired call in the Parks of Cedar Grove subdivision.

Police say Amanuel Menghesha, a man with a long criminal history, ambushed Green, a father of four, and killed him. He is facing the death penalty.

Green's family told Channel 2's Tom Jones they are very concerned that the trial for Menghesha still hasn't started.

"We regret that the wheels of justice are turning so slow," his father Johnny Green said at an emotional memorial service Wednesday.

The family also said the case has suffered one delay after the other.

"It's been too long and we call and written letters and it doesn't do any good," his mother Bertha Green said.

District Attorney Paul Howard agrees that four years is too long. Howard told Jones a judge retired and he hopes a trial can begin in the fall.

Jones attended a memorial service at Woods Memorial Baptist Church where Green's family and friends celebrated his life and remembered what an amazing officer he was.

The memorial service is held every year to keep his memory alive.

"I want to say right now Terence is smiling down on us," Fulton County Police Chief Daryl Halbert said.

A member of the church told Jones that Green was a member of the church and helped the congregation with security.

"He was a wonderful, loving, spirited person and we loved him and so we're celebrating his life,” Sandra Singleton McDonald said.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/sou...duty/934625044

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Man escapes death penalty, faces life plus 375 years in murder of Fulton County Detective

Amanuel Menghesha, shot and killed Fulton County Police Department Detective Terence Green in March 2015

By Joe Ripley
    11 Alive News

SOUTH FULTON, Ga. — A man was sentenced to life in prison plus 375 years for shooting and killing a Fulton County Police Department Detective and several other offenses.

Amanuel Menghesha, who is 50-years-old, was found guilty Friday of malice murder, aggravated assault on a peace officer and more than 30 other offenses, according to the South Fulton Police Department.

“The Fulton County District Attorney’s Office prosecution of this case and the court’s sentence makes it clear that attacks on our law enforcement officers have no place in our state,” Police Chief Keith Meadows said.

The department said that Menghesha "accepted a negotiated plea agreement in lieu of a death penalty trial."

Terence Avery Green served as a Fulton County Police Department Detective for 22 years and was from Eastpoint. He was shot and killed by Menghesha on March 4, 2015, while responding to a call that a man was going from house to house, banging on doors and firing a long barrel gun.

“Many of our officers worked with and cherished Detective Green during his time with us. Terence’s void will never be filled; however, his family, coworkers, and friends can hopefully gain some closure with this conviction”.

On the night of March 4, 2015, detectives said Menghesha fired shots into his neighbor's house, then came outside, firing at least 12 rounds at officers. Three of those hit Green

"Detective Green was initially struck in the left upper arm," Twanesa Howard, Green's mother, said. "There was also a hole in his left shoulder and the left side of his head."

Officers shot back, and Menghesha was taken to Grady Hospital.

Menghesha's family said Green knew him and even stopped by his house every two weeks to check on the welfare of his 15-year-old daughter.

In August 2014, he was charged with battery for a fight with his stepson. And in November 2014, Menghesha was charged with two counts of aggravated assault after his fiancée told police he choked her and his daughter and threatened them with a gun and also drunk.

https://www.11alive.com/article/news...a-4d06d2c5f6c2

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information