Stuhlman1.jpg
overbrook20n-2-web.jpg

New images released of 2 teens charged in murder of Overbrook dog walker

An alleged gunman has surrendered in connection with the murder of a Philadelphia man who was shot and killed last week while walking his dog.

OVERBROOK (WPVI) -- Police have released new photos of the two 15-year-old charged with the murder of James Stuhlman, who was shot and killed while walking his dog in Philadelphia's Overbrook section.

Tyfine Hamilton turned himself in early Friday morning. Already in custody is Hamilton's Overbrook High School classmate Brandon Smith, and a third boy who remains unnamed.

Both Hamilton and Smith are charged with murder, robbery and related charges.

The third boy, who is 14-years-old, is charged with robbery and conspiracy and will be tried as a juvenile.

Police sources tell Action News that all three have confessed, and that they have a lead now on where the murder weapon is located.

It was just before 8:30 p.m. last Thursday when 51-year-old James Stuhlman was walking his dog on the 6400 block of Woodcrest Avenue.

That's when police say he was approached by three juveniles attempting a robbery. Police say Stuhlman pleaded for his life, saying, "Please don't shoot me. Please don't shoot me." But he was still shot once in the chest.

The suspects ran off, without taking any of Stuhlman's belongings.

"Which makes this even more senseless, and even more troubling," said Philadelphia Police Captain James Clark, "that nothing was taken at all and he lost his life."

Police have surveillance of the suspects. They say they were all wearing hoodies and backpacks, and that led police to believe they were likely high school students.

Then Wednesday afternoon while patrolling the area officers observed a group of boys fitting the same description. The officers attempted to stop the boys, but they took off. A foot pursuit ensued and they were quickly apprehended.

Police later searched the home where two of the boys live at 64th Street and Girard Avenue. Inside they recovered numerous assault rifles and hand guns.

As a result of interviews with the teens, charges were filed against the teens.

The boys allegedly told police that they were out playing basketball, and afterwards they came up with the idea that they wanted to commit a robbery.

As they walked down the street, they initially targeted another man, police said. However, they then saw Stuhlman, who was older than the first man, and who was walking a dog who they considered less intimidating.

Captain Clark says as they pulled out their gun and announced a robbery, there was a struggle, and Stuhlman was shot once in the chest.

Neighbors tell us Stuhlman, a landscaper, usually walks the dog at night with his 13-year-old daughter.

That night he was walking alone.

Captain Clark explains, "My understanding is that his daughter goes for a walk with him almost every night. For whatever reason he said to her, 'It's a little late tonight. I don't want you walking with me.' So in effect, he possibly saved his daughter's life as well."

This normally quiet street is still in shock.

Neighbor Sonia Palmer says, "He has a daughter... He always speaks. Very nice... I just can't believe. I just can't believe."

http://6abc.com/news/new-images-rele...walker/556111/