Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glen E. Bates - Ohio

Glen E. Bates - Ohio

Glenara Bates

Court: East Walnut Hills abused toddler death follows history of abuse

CINCINNATI -- A mom accused of abusing her 2-year-old daughter days before the toddler's death has a history of other abuse allegations, according Hamilton County court documents obtained by WCPO.

Andrea Bradley, 28, was arraigned on a charge of felonious child endangerment Monday after investigators said she whipped, beat and dropped her daughter Glenara from about 6 feet above the ground. Bradley is also accused of trying to sew the girl’s head up with a needle and thread.

The child's father, Glen Bates, 32, was also arraigned on a charge of child endangerment. Both remain in Hamilton County jail after police arrested them Sunday when they brought Glenara to Cincinnati's Children Hospital.

Doctors reported Glenara was dead when her parents brought her in.

The court documents reveal Bradley was investigated for a child abuse in 2010 after several men were arrested in her home with a gun and drug scales.

Records state Bradley and her children were not home at the time, but that Bradley knew the men were trafficking drugs.

Then, in 2012, Hamilton County Jobs and Family Services received a report that another one of Bradley's children suffered bruises to the neck, eye, back and legs, according to records.

The child's bruises were so severe that he had difficulty walking, the report goes on to state.

After completing drug treatment and parenting education, Bradley was granted temporary custody of several of her kids in late 2013, documents show.

As recently as December, Glenara was hospitalized with malnutrition as Bradley was dealing with depression and bipolar disorder, records state.

Bradley's sister, Desena Townsend, expressed grief and anger after Glenara died.

“I believe (Bradley and Bates) tortured that baby,” Townsend said. “They beat her and they killed her… (Bradley) had some demons inside of her that really took over.”

Bradley has eight children, three of which were with Bates, the sister said. Five of Bradley’s children are now in foster care, Hamilton County Family Services said.

“I don’t even know why she had her kids,” she said. “She did not deserve to have those kids, and I say that because they (were taken) out of her home so many different times.”

Townsend called her sister and Bates “heartless.”

Bradley and Bates are being held on a $250,000 bond.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/...story-of-abuse
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Prosecutor will pursue death penalty against parents in 2-year-old's death

Deters: I'd like to see child's parents executed

CINCINNATI -- A Hamilton County grand jury indicted a mother and father on aggravated murder charges Wednesday in the starving and beating death of their 2-year-old daughter, officials said.

Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters said his office will pursue the death penalty for Andrea Bradley and Glenn Bates if a jury finds them guilty of aggravated murder, murder and felony child endangerment in the death of their daughter, Glenara Bates.

"If they get executed, God bless them, I’d like to see it,” Deters said.

Bradley and Bates were charged with felony child endangering on March 29 shortly after taking their already dead daughter to Cincinnati Children’s Hospital.

The charges against the parents were upgraded to murder after Hamilton County Coroner Lakshmi Kode Sammarco completed an autopsy on the toddler.

“I’ve never seen starvation like this before, and I’ve traveled around the world,” Sammaraco said of her medical findings.

Glenara weighed 13 pounds when her parents brought her to the hospital. Sammaraco said the toddler’s small intestines were empty when she performed her medical exam.

"We are not sure the last time she had been fed or given anything to drink,” she said, adding 13 pounds is the average weight for a 3-to-4-month-old.

Sammaraco said it was likely days since the child's last meal.

The autopsy also confirmed multiple laceration and cuts on the child that doctors reported to Cincinnati police when Glenara was brought to the hospital.

"And then it took one of our forensic pathologists over four hours to document the number of scars and wounds on her extremities and her torso and her body," the coroner said. "Over four hours just to document the wounds on the outside of her body."

Bradley apparently tried to stitch a wound on Glenara before taking her to the hospital, doctors at Children's Hospital reported.

Glenara also suffered internal bleeding in her head on three separate occasions, the autopsy uncovered.

"There is no doubt in my mind this child was tortured for the majority of her pitifully short life," Sammarco said.

Deters said the toddler also lived in physically deplorable conditions.

"This baby ate and slept in a bathtub filled with feces and blood,” Deters said. "You wouldn’t treat your dog like this."

The prosecutor expressed strong words for Hamilton County Jobs and Family Services who handled past reports of abuse against Bradley.

"The push to put babies back into these homes is so tragic," Deters said. "It’s just got to stop. They just got to recognize there are some people who should just not have kids."

Hamilton County Juvenile Court records obtained by WCPO show social workers removed some of Bradley's children in 2010 because she knowingly "allowed drug trafficking" in her home.

Documents also showed one of Bradley's children suffered bruises to the neck, eye, back and legs in 2012.

The child's bruises were so severe that he had difficulty walking, the report states. That child and others were placed in foster care at the time.

But in late 2013, after Bradley completed drug treatment and parenting education, Jobs and Family Services granted temporary custody of several of those children to her, documents show.

Bradley had eight children including Glenara, according to family members. Three of those children were with Bates.

A spokesperson from Hamilton County Job & Family Services said five of Bradley’s children are currently in foster care.

As recently as December, Glenara was hospitalized with malnutrition as Bradley dealt with depression and bipolar disorder.

The toddler was give back to Bradley a few weeks before she died.

"I think they dropped the ball," Deters said of Jobs and Family Services' decision to return Glenara to Bradley.

Bradley and Bates remain in the Hamilton County Justice Center.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/...r-murder-trial
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Job & Family Services admits mishandling case of 2-year-old allegedly 'tortured' to death by parents

County agency 'dropped the ball,' prosecutor says

CINCINNATI – Under sharp rebuke from the county prosecutor, the director of Job and Family Services admitted mishandling the case of a 2-year-old girl the prosecutor said was "tortured" to death by her parents.

After Hamilton County prosecutor Joe Deters said JFS "dropped the ball" by releasing Glenara Bates back to her mother, county JFS director Moira Weir said Wednesday that "a preliminary review shows we failed to follow our own policies and procedures."

Weir issued this statement to WCPO:

"I share Prosecutor Deters concerns on our mishandling of the case and appreciate him pointing out the legal mandates we work under to keep families intact -- if we can do so safely. I want to re-emphasize that safety always comes above all else. We cannot comment publicly on the specifics of this case, but I will say a preliminary review shows we failed to follow our own policies and procedures in this case. We are conducting further internal reviews and will also have an independent reviewer examine our casework and practice. I will add that we deal with 17,000 Hamilton County children a year and when we have any case end tragically like this, it weighs heavily on me and everyone in our organization. Many of us decided to enter this career path, and this result is heartbreaking.

Deters defended his office after WCPO's I-Team asked why an assistant prosecuting attorney, Roxan Tarnowski, signed off on JFS' motion to return Glenara and some of her siblings to Andrea Bradley in August, 2013.

“We fought it. We fought it. We didn’t want those kids to go back to that home," Deters told WCPO.

"[The magistrate] ruled against us.”

SEE the motion to remand custody here or below.

The magistrate was Paul DeMott, court documents show.

The assistant prosecutor's signature "doesn’t mean she agreed with it, it just means she was present at the hearing," Deters said.

Speaking earlier at a news conference, Deters said he would seek the death penalty against Bradley and the girl's father, Glen Bates.

"If they get executed, God bless them, I’d like to see it,” Deters said. "This case right here is as bad as it gets."

Deters had strong words for JFS, which handled past reports of abuse against Bradley. Deters said Bradley is pregnant with her eighth child by four different fathers. Bates fathered three of Bradley's children.

"The push to put babies back into these homes is so tragic," Deters said. "It’s just got to stop. They just got to recognize there are some people who should just not have kids."

Juvenile Court records obtained by WCPO show social workers removed some of Bradley's children in 2010 because she knowingly "allowed drug trafficking" in her home.

Documents also showed one of Bradley's children suffered bruises to the neck, eye, back and legs in 2012. The child's bruises were so severe that he had difficulty walking, the report states. That child, Glenara and others were placed in foster care.

But in 2013, after Bradley completed drug treatment and parenting education, JFS asked DeMott to grant her temporary custody of several children, documents show. A JFS spokesperson said the rest are currently in foster care.

As recently as December, Glenara was hospitalized with malnutrition as Bradley dealt with depression and bipolar disorder.

Glenara was given back to Bradley a few weeks before she died.

"There's statutory requirements that require that to happen," Deters said, "but I've got to tell you, the push to put babies back into these homes is becoming so tragic. We had a kid 13 days ago beheaded. It's just got to stop.

"Putting these kids back in these houses or these homes or these apartments where their parents are so abusive or their boyfriends are so abusive ... it's insane.

"The bottom line is there are some people who should not be parents at all. OK? They can breed. They can have kids. They can do all this stuff, but they can't raise children. And, you have a kid like this who has over 100 wounds on her body? I mean this -- this is insane what's going on. and I just wish people would recognize it."

Here’s a timeline of JFS’s involvement with Bradley:

• On Oct. 10, 2012, Sarah Goldschmidt from JFS wrote, “Complainant therefore prays this Court inquire into the alleged neglect, abuse and dependency of said children and grant Temporary Custody to the Hamilton County Job and Family Services, or in the alternative, legal custody to a suitable relative or non-relative…”

• In a court document dated Oct. 16, 2012, JFS found Bradley’s four children were neglected, abused and dependent. JFS received the abuse complaints on June 19, 2012. It was reported one of the children had bruises to her neck, eye, back and legs. The documents says there was evidence of whip marks on the girl, resulting in cuts and bruises all over the body. At this point, the four children were placed on a “safety plan” with a relative, Denise Hayes. Hayes violated the plan by leaving the children with Bradley.

• Bradley was charged with one count of child endangerment on Aug. 16, 2012. She failed to appear for her court appearance Aug. 20. It’s unclear from the documents what came of this charge.

• Bradley was diagnosed with bipolar and depression. She was hospitalized in 2009 due to extreme depression. She has a long criminal history going back to 2005, according to the documents.

• Glenara Bates was removed from the home and placed in temporary custody of JFS on May 3, 2013. “The child’s continued residence in or return to the home would be contrary to the child’s best interest and welfare.” The temporary custody was set to expire Jan. 24, 2014. However, it appears all children were returned to Bradley with that Aug. 26, 2013, motion.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/...ath-by-parents

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

WHEN, oh when will we get our heads out of our butts and start sterilizing repeat offenders? If a parent loses custody of their children, or are arrested for abuse and/or endangerment, part of the sentence should be vasectomies and tubal ligations. Period. People go on and on about the parents' civic rights, but those rights should be taken away from them when they hurt or neglect their children. What about the rights of the children? What about the rights of future children? I was listening to a documentary about a woman who was paying prostitutes to have tubals. People were globally bashing her, but not the prostitues. Not even the ones who turned their lives around. AND, this woman had adopted children of prostitutes. When her grown, adopted daughter was interviewed, she was asked if she had not been adopted but had stayed with her mother, would she still rather have been born than never have been born. She said, no. She mentioned one of her half-sisters who stayed with her birth mother did not have a good childhood AT ALL, and was suffering as an adult with drugs and prostitution. The interviewee would rather never have been born than to grow up in that environment.

-Dawn

Senior Member Frequent Poster elsie's Avatar
    Good question, my belief is that when you murder a child it should be a automatic DP. It should be a Federal crime and not state, as so many do not have the DP. It is amazing to me that it seems so ok in this country to murder babies and toddlers, sometimes with not a whole lotta time in prison. This is one way I know this country is going to hell in a hand basket.
    Proverbs 21:15 "When justice is done, it is a joy to the righteous but terror to evil doers."

Photos of Glenara Bates were truly awful

By Mike Canan
    WCPO

Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters described the photos of 2-year-old Glenara Bates' body as gruesome.

It's part of our role as public watchdogs to make sure we continue to access public documents, to make sure we understand the total picture and can work to hold officials accountable.

I have to tell you: Deters was not exaggerating or grandstanding the horror of these photos.

WCPO obtained three photos of Glenara's body taken before the autopsy.

A select group of key managers from the broadcast and digital teams reviewed them.

They were awful, awful pictures.

I've been in the news business for 17 years and these are the worst photos I have ever seen. The photos were like something out of a horror movie. Only these were real images. No makeup. No tricks.

And on a child's tiny body.

I have two young boys at home. I can tell you I had trouble falling asleep last night as these images surfaced in my mind again and again.

You can't unsee those images.

That's why we decided not to publish them online or on TV. The images didn't help us tell the story in any kind of real way — beyond just burning into your soul how awfully this 2-year-old lived and died.

Trust me, you're better off not ever seeing the brutality this child faced.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/photos-of-g...re-truly-awful

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

​Related:

Worker in Glenara Bates death had been disciplined

Of the two government workers assigned to ensure that two-year-old Glenara Bates was safe in her home, one had been on the job less than a year and the other had been suspended for professional misconduct as well as being arrested.

Shamara Hooks-Ware, 34, was suspended by the Hamilton County Department of Job and Family Services for her involvement in a case of potential child abuse or neglect and then twice lying about it to investigators. The other worker assigned the case, Kassie Setty, 27, is a former Urban League and Cincinnati Public Schools employee who was hired 11 months ago by JFS.

The agency, which admitted it didn't do its job in Glenara's case, wouldn't discuss if Hooks-Ware and Setty face disciplinary action after the child's March 29 death. JFS spokesman Brian Gregg, who released the personnel records after The Enquirer requested them using Ohio's Open Records Act, said his agency doesn't comment on personnel matters.

Hooks-Ware, who also used Stephens as a last name while working at JFS, was hired Sept. 27, 2012, as a caseworker in the intake investigations section of Children's Services Division of JFS. She was assigned the case of the family of Andrea Bradley and Glen Bates. Bates is the father of at least Bradley's seven children including Glenara. Bradley is due to give birth to her eighth child this summer.

Glenara weighed 13 pounds when Bradley appeared March 29 at the hospital with the girl's lifeless body that the coroner later said showed obvious signs of abuse.

Now, prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against Bradley and Bates after each was indicted this week for murder in Glenara's death. Prosecutor Joe Deters said she was tortured much of her life, noting she slept in a feces- and blood-filled bath tub.

After those capital murder indictments, Moira Weir, head of Hamilton County's JFS, released a statement admitting her agency "failed to follow our own policies and procedures in this case." The agency, though, hasn't provided more evidence on the case or its admitted failure in it.

Coroner Dr. Lakshmi Sammarco said Glenara's body showed such overt signs of abuse – bite marks on her body, some of her teeth had been knocked out, beating marks, severe bruising – that is was likely others knew of the child's abuse but were silent. "I think it's a case of a number of people knowing what's going on and not saying anything," Sammarco said after Bradley and Bates were indicted.

Prosecutors also criticized JFS for not doing its job in the child's case, noting Bradley agreed to give her children up at one point but JFS later returned them to her.

Hooks-Ware, 34, was a St. Louis County corrections officer in Missouri and a former police officer with the city of St. Louis with a Masters degree in criminal justice, her personnel records show. She left her job as a police officer to move to the Cincinnati area where she soon was hired by JFS at a job paying $41,000 annually.

Initially, she did very well at JFS, where she investigated cases to make sure children were safe and cared for with their families. In one of her first job evaluations, her personnel records note, Hooks-Ware was given high marks but her rater noted

Hooks-Ware "will need to continue to learn as well as build her skills in areas of family engagement" to help her "in thoroughly assessing safety and risk." Another section of that review, though, notes she has "excellent engagement skills."

In 2013, she was suspended for eight hours without pay for her involvement in a case of child abuse or neglect not assigned to her.

"During the course of a 241-KIDS (child abuse hotline) investigation by the Agency's Out-of-Home Care Investigations Unit," her August 2013 suspension notes, "you provided misleading information to the investigator. You also provided misleading information regarding the allegation when questioned separately by (JFS) Human Resources."

Her lying, it added, impeded the investigation caused by her "gross misconduct, dishonesty, nonfeasance, neglect of duty and failure of good behavior."

That letter came two months after Hooks-Ware and her boyfriend were arrested for fighting in public.

While in a car with Herbert Stephens, her boyfriend, both were charged with domestic violence in a June 23, 2013 incident. Police reported the couple was on I-71 north at the 17 mile marker when they got into the fight. "Shamara pushed Herbert, Herbert pushed her back. Shamara then bit Herbert in the shoulder and Herbert then hit her on both sides of the face. Both parties were arrested," court documents note.

Charges were dropped against both, apparently because they refused to testify against each other.

Setty had no disciplinary issues in her 11 months on the job.

She was hired May 8, 2014, by JFS. Initially, her personnel records note, Setty carried a higher case load than average than usual for probationary employee. "At times, she may appear to be confused," her evaluator noted. It added that she "lacked confidence" but was improving.

She is a graduate of Brown Mackie College in Cincinnati with a criminal justice degree. Her JFS probationary period ended March 3 – 28 days before Glenara died.

Hooks-Ware didn't respond to a telephone call for this story. Setty, whose annual salary is $37,000, didn't respond to any email asking for her comments.
    Five of Bradley's children are in JFS custody. The oldest lives with a paternal grandmother.

Bradley and Bates will be arraigned next week on the capital murder charges.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...sues/25597381/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Related:

Ohio coroner: Politicians need to fix child abuse problem

HAMILTON COUNTY, Ohio -- The beating and starvation death of toddler Glenara Bates is the last straw for the Hamilton County Coroner.

Now Dr. Lakshmi Sammarco wants some powerful people to see Glenara's face and other faces of children killed by abuse or neglect.

Some of the images are graphic, but to Dr. Sammarco, there is a message behind the children's lifeless eyes.

The letter from the Hamilton County Coroner includes pictures of dead children. Including 2-year-old James Livesay, who was stomped to death by his mother's boyfriend in 2012.

"I want them to see his cute face... blue eyes staring at the ceiling... lifeless,” said Dr. Sammarco. “That's what I want them to see.”

Eight months earlier, the boy was hospitalized from a beating. His mother was allowed to take him home after promising boyfriend Anthony Pierson would never be there. She lied.

"Look at the bruising over the eyelid, look at his face,” said Dr. Sammarco. “I don't understand how anyone can do this to a baby.”

Dr. Sammarco wants some of the most powerful people in America to see the battered bodies of children she saw on tables here at the morgue.

"I'm sending this to every U.S. senator, congressman, the president, the vice president,” said Dr. Sammarco.

Photos will include the beaten, emaciated, bitten body of 2-year-old Glenara Bates. The child's mother and father face a possible death sentence if convicted.

“The system is broken,” the letter will say, her 28-year-old mother received government assistance for her children. She's pregnant with her eighth.

According to court records, the child’s mother said she did not want to work.

"If you have children assisted by taxpayers, the primary responsibility is taking care of children,” said Dr. Sammarco.

Dr. Sammarco says too often that isn't happening.

"Fix it. It's your job. Fix it find a solution,” said Dr. Sammarco, to public officials. “It isn't working.”

http://www.foxsanantonio.com/news/fe...l#.VSkTP6bptHA

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Toddler’s mother one of few women to face death penalty

Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters is known for seeking the death penalty when children are killed. He has sought it more than a dozen times since 2005 in murder cases involving children.

Until the killing of 2-year-old Glenara Bates, however, who officials say was starved and tortured, Deters hadn’t sought the death penalty against a woman.

Glenara’s mother, Andrea Bradley of East Walnut Hills, is believed to be the first woman in Hamilton County to face capital punishment in more than two decades, according to Enquirer research.

At a news conference Wednesday, Deters said his decision to pursue the death penalty against both Bradley and Glen Bates, Glenara’s father, was based on the unprecedented neglect and violence inflicted on the child.

“This case so cries out for somebody to get the death penalty,” Deters said. He called the case among the worst he has seen in 19 years as county prosecutor.

“At trial, when you see the pictures of this baby,” he told reporters, “you will vomit.”

Bradley, 28, and Bates, 32, face charges including aggravated murder.

Glenara was tortured for most of her life, officials said. She was beaten severely, starved and made to sleep in a bathtub containing feces and blood. When she was taken to a Cincinnati hospital March 29, the day she died, she weighed 13 pounds.

Officials said it wasn’t clear when she last had been given food or drink. She had no body fat, no urine in her bladder, and no evidence of food in her system.

Only one woman on Ohio’s death row

Bradley is one of only a handful of local women to face the death penalty in recent memory.

In the last two decades, two women in Butler County faced the death penalty. Both pleaded guilty to avoid a possible death sentence.

Carin Madden, 35, is serving 20 years to life for killing her newborn in 1999. Asuncion Avila-Villa, 31, is serving a life sentence for the 2009 killing of her infant son. Authorities said Avila-Villa killed the infant to avoid being prosecuted for having sex with the teenage father.

Clermont County last had a woman in a capital case in the 1950s. Warren County hasn’t seen one in at least three decades.

Among the 141 people currently listed on Ohio’s death row, one is a woman. Donna Roberts, 70, was sentenced to death in 2003 in Trumbull County for plotting with her boyfriend to kill her ex-husband.

The number of women in Ohio on death row is consistent with nationwide statistics, according to a 2012 report by a death penalty researcher. The report, by Victor Streib, a retired Ohio Northern University law professor, says that women, since the early 1970s, have made up about 2 percent of people across the country on death row.

Nationwide, women account for only about 10 percent of people arrested in homicides, the report says.

Only four women have been executed in the state’s history – and three of the cases were from the Cincinnati area. The last was 61 years ago, according to the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction.

In June 1954, Betty Butler, 25, who was convicted in Hamilton County of drowning a woman, was electrocuted. Five months earlier, 55-year-old Dovie Dean, was electrocuted. She was convicted in Clermont County of poisoning her husband with arsenic.

In 1938, 32-year-old Anna Marie Hahn was electrocuted after being convicted in Hamilton County of poisoning a man.

Since the executions of Dean and Butler, the state has carried out 74 executions – all were men.

Deters’ office is not seeking the death penalty in the case of De’asia Watkins, 20, who is accused of beheading her 3-month-old daughter. Deters has cited the Watkins’ severe mental health problems as a reason.

About Bradley and Bates, he said: “These are two people who don’t have mental health issues...and they treat a kid like this.”

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...alty/25659767/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Prosecutor: 2-year-old only child targeted for abuse

Of the six children who lived with Glen Bates and Andrea Bradley, only 2-year-old Glenara was severely mistreated, prosecutors said Monday.

"It was a constant state of neglect and a constant state of them lashing out at (Glenara)," said Hamilton County Assistant Prosecutor Rick Gibson. "The other children were not subjected to this kind of abuse and neglect."

Bates, 32, pleaded not guilty Monday in Hamilton County Common Pleas Court to charges including aggravated murder in Glenara's death. He faces the death penalty.

Judge Megan Shanahan ordered him held without bond at the Hamilton County jail.

Prosecutors also are seeking the death penalty against Glenara's mother, 28-year-old Bradley, who faces the same charges. Her arraignment is expected Wednesday.

Bates and Bradley told police they had been together about two years, Gibson said. Bates, he said, lived at Bradley's home in East Walnut Hills with six of Bradley's children, including Glenara. The children ranged in age from 1 to 8. The other children are now in foster care. Another of Bradley's children, officials said, lives with Bates' relatives.

Bradley is pregnant with her eighth child. Officials said she has children with four fathers, including Bates.

Both Bates and Bradley have admitted abusing Glenara, according to court documents.

One of Bates' attorneys, Norm Aubin, said in an interview that he is still gathering information about the case. He also said he plans to consult with experts, including people who specialize in injuries to children.

"The worst thing in the world is to jump to a conclusion at this stage," Aubin said.

Bates and Bradley were arrested March 29, the same day Bradley brought Glenara to Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center. The child was "cold, limp and lifeless," Gibson said. Glenara was pronounced dead at the hospital.

She weighed 13 pounds and had bite marks, numerous lacerations as well as marks from being whipped with a belt, according to the coroner.

In December, she was treated at a local hospital for being malnourished, Gibson said. Hospital staff, he said, tried to explain to Bradley that Glenara needed to eat more.

Bradley, he said, "seemed to think the child was … overweight."

Both Bradley and Bates "had a responsibility to this child," he said. "They horribly failed to live up to that responsibility."

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...ment/25707285/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information