Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Ali Awad Mahmoud Irsan - Texas Death Row

Prosecutors File New Charge in Houston ‘Honor Killings’ Case

By Associated Press

HOUSTON — Special prosecutors are accusing a woman of conspiring with relatives in the so-called honor killings of her estranged sister’s American husband and her sister’s friend who was an Iranian women’s rights activist.

Nadia Irsan, 35, was charged on Wednesday with conspiring with her father, stepmother and brother in a plan that led to the 2012 fatal shootings in the Houston area, the Houston Chronicle reported.

It is not the first charge against Irsan related to the killings of Nesreen Irsan’s 28-year-old husband, Coty Beavers, and her friend Gelareh Bagherzadeh, 30. She was charged in 2015 with stalking related to the case.

Irsan’s public defender, Eric J. Davis, said he is contesting the case.

“My hope is that people will presume her innocent,” Davis said.

Marie Primm, a pro tem prosecutor, said further evaluation of the evidence prompted the new charge.

Irsan’s father Ali Mahwood-Awad Irsan, a Jordanian immigrant and conservative Muslim, was sentenced to death in 2018 for the two killings that occurred about 11 months apart.

Bagherzadeh was targeted first, in January 2012. Police said Irsan, his wife and their son, Nasim Isran, followed Bagherzadeh to her parents’ Galleria-area home, and that the son shot her in her automobile. He is awaiting trial on a capital murder charge.

That November, Ali Mahwood-Awad Irsan slipped into Beavers’ unlocked apartment near Houston, waited for his daughter to leave for work, then shot his son-in-law, according to the elder Irsan’s wide, Shmou Ali Alrawabdeh.

Nadia Irsan is one of two people with open cases linked to the killings.

Her brother, Nasim Irsan, in August accepted a plea deal of 40 years in prison for fatally shooting Bagherzadeh. Prosecutors have said Ali Irsan and his wife persuaded him to kill the woman.

Alrawabdeh, who was also charged with murder, testified against her husband last year in exchange for pleading guilty to a lesser kidnapping charge. She testified that her husband also intended to kill their daughter, Beavers’ twin brother and Beavers’ mother.

But her case is still open, and Primm noted that the deal would not be done until Alrawabdeh testified against all relevant parties.

If Nadia Irsan is convicted in the latest conspiracy charge, she could be sentenced to 15 years to life in prison. Primm offered Irsan a plea deal of 25 years, while promising to drop the existing stalking charge.

However, Irsan did not take the deal on Wednesday. Her case has been reset for December.

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/201...ist-slain.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member Member
    Shouldn’t his direct appeal be happening soon?

Texas’ direct appeal system is a mess at the moment.

John Falk and Billy Tracy were both condemned in 2017. Tracy was at the federal district court when Falk’s direct appeal was denied.

Isidro Delacruz was condemned in April 2018 and hasn’t been denied direct appeal yet

Kristopher Love was sentenced to death in November 2018, months after Delacruz and Irsan, and was denied direct appeal in April

It’s supposed to only be two years but it’s a mess
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Related:

Woman receives probation in 2012 'honor killings,' drawing family murder plot cases close to an end

By Samantha Ketterer
    Houston Chronicle

Ali Mahwood-Awad Irsan orchestrated the 2012 “honor killings” of his estranged daughter’s husband and best friend. His punishment: a death sentence.

His son pulled the trigger in one of the slayings. His punishment: 40 years in prison.

His other daughter allegedly conspired in the plot. Her punishment: Ten years of probation, agreed in court on Wednesday.

Nadia Irsan, 37, pleaded guilty this week to organized crime, closing another chapter in the prosecution of family members accused of scheming to kill a relative as well as four others who supported her religious conversion. One case remains open, against a stepmother charged with murder.

“Nadia wanted to move on with her life, and I think the complainants did too,” public defender Eric J. Davis said. “They went through a trial already. This spares everybody the stresses of doing that again.”

Marie Primm, one of the special prosecutors appointed to the case, declined to comment. If Irsan completes the terms of her probation by 2031, a judge will not enter a conviction on her record.

Davis upheld the merits of his client’s case despite the guilty plea, which Irsan made in exchange for the kind of probation called deferred adjudication. She was not in a car linked to the first homicide, and prosecutors made no allegation that she had a weapon, he added.

“Nadia had a case we had a good chance to defend,” said Davis, the trial chief of the Harris County Public Defender’s Office. “But there’s always a risk when you have dead bodies.”

The double murders occurred more than 11 months apart in 2012, after Nesreen Irsan left her family’s rural Montgomery County Compound and converted from Islam to Christianity.

The family first targeted 30-year-old Iranian activist Gelareh Bagherzadeh, prosecutors said. In January, Nasim Irsan, his father and stepmother Shmou Alrawabdeh followed Bagherzadeh to her Galleria-area townhome, and the son shot her in the head, according to court testimony in Ali Irsan’s trial.

Nesreen Irsan told investigators then that she believed her father was responsible for her best friend’s death. He was released after questioning because of a lack of evidence.

Eleven months later, the father sneaked into the empty northwest Harris County home of Nesreen and her Christian newlywed, 28-year-old Coty Beavers. He was expecting the couple to return home together and planned to kill them both, according to court testimony.

When Beavers returned alone, the father shot him at least five times with .22-caliber revolver.

Three other killings were on Irsan’s list but never completed: daughter Nesreen, Coty Beavers’ twin brother and the Beavers’ mother, Irsan’s wife previously testified.

A SWAT team swarmed Irsan’s Montgomery County compound in 2014 and arrested him for Social Security fraud - with state prosecutors charging him and his family members in the deaths later.

Ali Irsan, a Jordanian immigrant who is Muslim, is now on death row after a jury convicted him in 2018 of coordinating the murders. The high-profile trial garnered international attention and portrayed the older Irsan as a dictatorial patriarch who stalked a daughter after she left and enlisted family members to help him seek retribution.

Others in the family testified that Ali Irsan raped, beat and abused them regularly. Another daughter said he killed her husband in 1999, which he had claimed was self-defense. More testimony revealed numerous financial schemes that allowed Irsan to pay for trips back to Jordan and purchase properties in Montgomery County.

Nasim Irsan agreed to a plea deal the following year, in 2019. Prosecutors dropped a higher charge of capital murder and sentenced him to 40 years in prison on a murder charge, with the possibility of parole after 20 years. He had already served four years at the time of his plea.

Nadia Irsan was originally arrested in 2015 and charged with stalking, a count that was later dismissed and upgraded to organized crime. Primm said in 2019 that she offered Nadia Irsan a plea deal of 25 years. Her charge carried a sentence of 15 years to life in prison.

Cory Roth, a defense attorney who represented Nadia Irsan in a kidnapping case in Montgomery County, told the Chronicle in 2019 that she was misrepresented in previous Harris County court proceedings and that she actually tried to protect her sister from their tyrannical father.

Nadia Irsan entered several agreements as part of her probation, including that she can’t possess a firearm or leave Harris County without permission of the court. She also can’t have contact with some of the Beavers family; her sister; two members of the Bagherzadeh family; or any of her co-defendants.

It isn’t immediately clear how the case will proceed against the stepmother, Alrawabdeh. She testified against her husband in his trial as part of an exchange with prosecutors to drop a murder charge and plea to kidnapping.

But in 2019, Primm said that deal would only be complete when Alrawabdeh testified against all relevant parties. The brother’s attorneys said that year that she wouldn’t testify in his trial. She didn’t testify in Nadia Irsan’s case, said Davis, the public defender.

Alrawabdeh’s case is still listed in court records as “open,” and court officials issued a warrant for her arrest this fall after she violated her bond conditions. She didn’t pick up a GPS monitor, telling the court she couldn’t afford one, records show.

Special prosecutors have ushered the cases through the state district courts. They were appointed after Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg recused her office — one of her top staffers represented one of the suspects in the multi-defendant case before joining the district attorney’s office.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...r-16633207.php
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Oral arguments in Irsan’s direct appeal are scheduled for March 23, 2023.

https://www.txcourts.gov/media/1455887/3-23-23.pdf

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

MOTION FOR LEAVE TO FILE APPLICATION FOR ORIGINAL WRIT OF MANDAMUS DENIED WITHOUT WRITTEN ORDER - DEATH PENALTY:

https://search.txcourts.gov/handdown...ate=11/22/2023

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread Information