Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serial Killer Johnny Joe Avalos Sentenced to 2 Life Terms in 2012 - 2015 TX Multiple Murders

Serial Killer Johnny Joe Avalos Sentenced to 2 Life Terms in 2012 - 2015 TX Multiple Murders

Natalie Chavez, 15

Celia Lopez, 29

Genevieve Ramirez, 45

Johnny Joe Avalos

Inmate charged with capital murder in death of teen found under bridge

Johnny Joe Avalos, 28, charged in death of Natalie Chavez, 15

SAN ANTONIO - A man jailed in the sexual assault of a teen girl has been charged with capital murder in connection with the young victim's strangulation, San Antonio police announced late Thursday.

Johnny Joe Avalos, 28, was arrested April 21 on a charge of sexual assault of a child based on DNA evidence found on the body of Natalie Chavez, 15.

Chavez was found dead Dec. 18 under a west side bridge near the intersection of Vera Cruz and Nueva Leon Street.

The teen was nude and had been strangled. According to an arrest affidavit, Avalos told investigators he had sex with Chavez for a “predetermined amount of money.” Avalos said he was not aware of Chavez’s age.

According to San Antonio Police spokesman Sgt. Javier Salazar, investigators, who had identified Avalos as a person of interest in Chavez's death, developed probable cause to issue a warrant for Avalos on the capital murder charge.

The warrant was executed Thursday at the Bexar County Jail where Avalos was being held.

Avalos a person of interest in two other cases

Trevino is also calling Avalos a person of interest in two other cases.

On April 15, Celia Lopez, 29, was found dead on the 4400 block of South Presa. Lopez had suffered trauma to her head and face.

On April 4, a woman was found unconscious in a grassy alleyway in the same area on the 100 block of Avondale Avenue. According to SAPD, the woman was nude from the waist down and had bruising but no obvious signs of trauma. Police have not confirmed whether she was sexually assaulted. She remains hospitalized.

Avalos has a criminal history that includes resisting arrest, drug possession and making a terroristic threat.

http://www.ksat.com/content/pns/ksat...nd-under-.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Police: Man charged with murder of San Antonio teen found under bridge also killed 29-year-old woman

By Joshua Fechter
    mysanantonio.com

SAN ANTONIO — A San Antonio man charged with capital murder and sexual assault in the death of a 15-year-old girl allegedly killed a 29-year-old woman earlier this year.

Johnny Avalos, 28, has been charged with murder in the death of 29-year-old Celia Lopez, the San Antonio Police Department announced Friday.

Lopez's body was found April 15 in the 4400 block of South Presa Street. Investigators believe that she had been dead for several days before being found and her body showed obvious signs of trauma, SAPD Interim Chief Anthony Trevino said at the time.

Avalos was already in jail on charges of capital murder and sexual assault of a child for allegedly killing and sexually assaulting Natalie Chavez, a 15-year-old girl whose naked body was found under a bridge at Apache Creek and Vera Cruz Street around 10 a.m. on Dec. 18, 2014.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...io-6338057.php
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Man charged with 2 murders draws police interest in third

Johnny Joe Avalos person of interest in death of Genevieve Ramirez

By Robert Taylor
    Web-News Editor

SAN ANTONIO - Johnny Joe Avalos, 28, is charged with murder in the deaths of two women and is now a person of interest in a third death, police said.

San Antonio police said Genevieve Ramirez was found unconscious April 4 in a grassy alleyway in the 100 block of Avondale Avenue.

Ramirez was being treated at an area hospital but has died from her injuries. Avalos is now a person of interest in her death.

On Friday, Avalos was charged with murder in the death of Celia Lopez, 29. She was found dead April 15 in the 4400 block of South Presa. She had suffered trauma to her head and face.

Prior to Friday's charges, Avalos was already in jail, charged with the murder of Natalie Chavez, 15. The teenager was found dead under a West Side bridge on Dec. 18.

Avalos was arrested April 21 on a charge of sexual assault of a child based on DNA evidence found on Chavez's body.

http://www.ksat.com/content/pns/ksat...-in-third.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Man accused killer now faces three murder charges

SAN ANTONIO -- Fox San Antonio has learned 29-year-old Johnny Avalos is now charged with the murder of 45-year-old Genevieve Ramirez.

A spokesperson with the San Antonio Police Department says officers submitted this latest case to the Bexar County District Attorney's Office Wednesday, charging Avalos with Ramirez' murder.

Ramirez was found clinging to life in a field in the 100 block of Avondale Avenue on April 4th. Ramirez passed away in June, and police were waiting on the Medical Examiner's Office to determine exactly how Ramirez died.

"And indeed they did inform us Mr. Ramirez did pass away due to homicide," said Officer Doug Greene with the San Antonio Police Department.

Ramirez' friend, Dolores Mejia, says she's been waiting for this day to come. "This is victory for us, this is what we were waiting for," said Mejia.

Avalos has already been charged with the death of 15-year-old Natalie Chavez, whose body was found under a West Side bridge in December.

He's also charged for the murder of 28-year-old Celia Lopez, who was found a few blocks from where Ramirez was discovered, also in April.

"Now that he's actually been charged, it's a step forward for us, now it's just a fight for justice for Genevieve," Mejia went on to say.

Avalos remains inside the Bexar County Jail, and is due in court on Friday.

http://www.foxsanantonio.com/news/fe...l#.VegtApZqubo

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Victim's father wants accused killer to get life sentence

SAN ANTONIO -- A man facing three murder charges made his first appearance in court Friday afternoon.

Johnny Avalos has been indicted with capital murder in the death of Natalie Chavez, 15. Her relatives were anxiously waiting in the 437th District Court when he was lead into the court room.

Some of her family members wore t-shirts with the 15-year-old girl's photo. They say it's so Avalos won't forget her face. Chavez's body was found Dec. 18 under a West Side bridge. He is also accused of sexually assaulting her.

He has also been charged in connection with the death of Genevieve Ramirez, who died in June, two months after she was found in a field near S. Presa. Celia Lopez's body was found in April a few blocks from where Ramirez was discovered. The three murders are connected by one accused killer.

On Friday, prosecutor Daryl Harris handed over some discovery evidence to Avalos' attorney. It was his first appearance after being indicted in Chavez's death. Her father plans to be there for all of his hearings.

"The lethal injection would be good but for what? I'd rather him get a life sentence. Sit in prison for the rest of his life and think about everything he has done. I'd rather his conscience, your conscience will kill you, eventually," her father, Juan P. Chavez said.

Her mother, Kimberly Morales, says she would like for Avalos to get the death penalty, if he is convicted. However, the prosecutor has not determined yet if this will be a death penalty case. Avalos' attorney would not comment Friday.

http://www.foxsanantonio.com/news/fe...l#.VerRG5Zqubo

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Accused killer now a 'person of interest' in another death

SAN ANTONIO -- Johnny Avalos already faces three murder charges. Now, he is also a person of interest in another murder.

A spokesperson with the San Antonio Police Department says Avalos, 29, is a person of interest in the death of 27-year-old Rosemary Perez.

Perez' concealed body was discovered January 12th, outside a home along San Fernando street on the West Side.

"It was very gruesome and ugly," said Krystal Amador, who lives in front of the house where Perez was found.

Amador says her family has lived on the street for years and had never seen anything so frightening. "My sister comes thinking it was trash. She opens it and she see it, and she freaks out," Amador went on to say.

Amador says she didn't know Perez, but her family occasionally comes to the front of her home and leaves flowers.

"Out of respect for them, I leave them there."

Avalos has already been charged with the death of 15-year-old Natalie Chavez, whose body was found under a West Side bridge in December.

He's also charged for the murders of 28-year-old Celia Lopez and 46-year-old Genevieve Ramirez.

http://www.foxsanantonio.com/news/fe...l#.Ve_uy5Zqubo

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Related:

Exclusive: Mother follows daughter's murder & accused killer's upcoming trial from prison

By Andrew Lofholm
    WOAI News

SAN ANTONIO - Watching from the gallery, Celia Lopez's brother and two sisters looked on as their sister's accused killer, Johnny Avalos entered the courtroom in chains and a red jumpsuit. Missing among the family, their mother, 55-year-old Maria Avila, who spends her days in a white jumpsuit.

"It's something that you need to be a part of but you're not able to be because of my own consequences have to be paid as well,” Avila says. She's serving a 15 year sentence in Gatesville after being convicted on a heroin charge in May, 2014.

Celia was killed in April 2015. Avalos is charged with murder in the death of Lopez, 29. He’s also charged with capital murder and sexual assault in the killing of 15-year-old Natalie Chavez. We have previously reported that San Antonio Police say Avalos has been charged in the death of 45-year-old Genevieve Ramirez and considered a person of interest in the murder of 27-year-old Rosemary Perez. The Bexar County District Attorney's office will seek the death penalty.

"While we always consider the families perspective in any case, we also have to evaluate all the evidence and a defendant’s past criminal history to reach a decision that is best to protect the future safety of our community. We have formally announced to the Court that we are seeking the Death Penalty," the DA's Office said in a statement.

Mom didn't learn about it until days later, and information all came second hand from inside prison walls. "Through networking through the ladies in here, supporting me and helping me out.”

One thing Maria has had plenty of time to do is think. She writes those thoughts out in this journal. It's therapy for her. She's written extensively about what she thinks is an appropriate sentence for her daughter's accused killer.

"Having been incarcerated most of my adult life, I know what goes on back here. And the death penalty is really too good for an individual like that."
    Instead she wants consecutive life sentences. She feels a lethal injection would give Avalos an easy way out.

"There's no reason why he should be able to escape his demons when we have to live without our loved one forever,” she says. "This place consumes you. It eats you up and you become something that you're not because you have no other choice and he may very well fit in with these monsters."

http://news4sanantonio.com/news/loca...rial-from-afar

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

LaHood defends decision to seek death penalty against Avalos, will keep open mind

By Andrew Lofholm
    news4sanantonio.com

SAN ANTONIO--The trial against a San Antonio man accused of killing multiple women last year will move forward as a death penalty case, for now. That decision is a story we broke last week.

"It's a matter of justice,” Bexar County District Attorney Nico LaHood says.

By the time 29-year-old Celia Lopez's body was found in a field, her accused killer was already sitting in the Bexar County Jail. Johnny Avalos was there because police say he sexually assaulted and strangled 15-year-old Natalie Chavez. San Antonio police say he also killed 45-year-old Genevieve Ramirez, and is considered a person of interest in the murder of 27-year-old Rosemary Perez.

On just the Natalie Chavez charges alone, LaHood says his office will seek the death penalty, "At this point we're moving forward with death."

Chavez's dad told us this last September about the prospect of the death penalty, "The lethal injection would be good but for what? I'd rather him get a life sentence."

In an exclusive interview with Lopez’s mom, who's serving 15 years on a heroin charge in Gatesville, said the death penalty would let Avalos off too easy, "Having been incarcerated Most of my adult life, I know what goes on back here. And the death penalty is really too good for an individual like that,” Maria Avila says.

LaHood says it's possible for him to reverse his decision to seek death for Avalos, "I'm always open minded to make sure we get it right and seek justice in every situation."

He'll weigh the family’s wishes, even meet with them if they want, but also consider two other main factors: future danger Avalos could pose and are there any reasons or mitigating evidence why Avalos shouldn't be put to death.

"We'll make that analysis and I'll ultimately reassess it over those two issues."

For now, that decision is death.

In December, the trial will be scheduled.

http://news4sanantonio.com/news/loca...keep-open-mind

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

DA LaHood: Indictments tie alleged ‘serial killer' to four deaths, sexual assault

Johnny Joe Avalos faces aggravated sexual assault, four capital murder charges

By Jessie Degollado
    KSAT News

SAN ANTONIO - Indictments released Tuesday allege a San Antonio man killed four women in the span of five months.

Avalos Indictments.pdf

Bexar County District Attorney Nico LaHood said the new indictments take into account that accused killer Johnny Joe Avalos, 29, is charged with capital murder in a series of four separate murders from Dec. 2014 to April 2015.

Avalos is charged in the deaths of Natalie Chavez, 15; Rosemary Perez, 28; Celia Ann Lopez, 29; and Genevieve Ramirez, 46.

“That’s what we call serial murder enhancement. The statute allows for that,” LaHood said.

He said if they had occurred all at one time, it would be mass murder, but the district attorney said that doesn’t change the fact his office will seek the death penalty.

Avalos has been in custody since his arrest in April 15, 2015 initially on municipal court warrants.

According to the Criminal District Attorney’s Office, later that day, after a warrant was run on Avalos for sexual assault, CODIS (Combined DNA Index System) came back with a hit on Avalos.

Two indictments detail the four murders, alleging that Avalos asphyxiated each victim with his hand and arm, also using plastic bags on three of them.

LaHood said some, but not all of the women, are alleged to have been involved in prostitution.

“But that’s irrelevant,” LaHood said. “Every life matters in this office and there’s value to that.”

He said the indictments demonstrate that by holding someone accountable in these cases.

“Those victims’ voices and their families’ voices need to be heard in our community,” LaHood said. “That’s reflected in these indictments.”

LaHood said Avalos will have a scheduling hearing December 19 so the judge can set future hearings or the trial itself.

He said it’s likely there will be two trials, each handling two cases listed in both indictments.

The DA's Office plans to seek the death penalty against Avalos.

He is scheduled to make a court appearance Dec. 19 in the 437th District Court, where a judge can set future hearings or trial dates.

http://www.ksat.com/news/da-lahood-i...sexual-assault

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

February 3, 2018

Judge finds accused serial killer competent to stand trial

By Melissa Vega
    foxsanantonio.com

SAN ANTONIO -- 31-year-old Johnny Avalos has been found competent by a Magistrate Judge to stand trial.

Avalos is due back in the 437th District Court on Monday. Avalos has been behind bars since his arrest back in April of 2015.

He's been indicted for the Capital Murder of 15 year old Natalie Chavez in the course of an Aggravated Sexual Assault on December 18th, 2014.

Avalos is also accused of killing 28-year-old Rosemary Perez. Perez was found wrapped in a sheet along a sidewalk in the 2100 block of San Fernando on January 12th, 2015.

He's also accused of killing 29-year-old Celia Lopez, and 46-year-old Genevieve Ramirez.

Both Lopez' and Ramirez' bodies were discovered in April of 2015. Lopez was found on April 15th, 2015 in an area along the 4400 block of South Presa, while Ramirez was found a short distance away in an alley along the 100 block of Avondale on April 3rd, 2015.

Ramirez died in the hospital two months later from her injuries.

Then there's the murder of 25-year-old Vanessa Lopez. Lopez was found near Espada Dam on the city's Southside in October of 2012.

Lopez' death had been ruled undetermined until March of 2016. Back in March, the Bexar County Medical Examiner's Office ruled Lopez' death a homicide. In November of 2016 the San Antonio Police Department stated Avalos was a suspect in Lopez' death.

Alan Futrell, the attorney representing Johnny Avalos tells Fox San Antonio he's still waiting on test results andreports before proceeding with a firm schedule. The question was presented to Futrell is he would contest his client's competency.

Futrell went on to say issues are still being resolved, and the mental health status of his client can take time to determine.

http://foxsanantonio.com/news/local/...to-stand-trial

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information