Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Serial Killer Johnny Joe Avalos Sentenced to 2 Life Terms in 2012 - 2015 TX Multiple Murders

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    When suspected serial killer Johnny Avalos will stand trial

By Darian Trotter
    FOX 29

SAN ANTONIO - A suspected serial killer awaits trial while families of the victims wait for justice.

31-year old Johnny Avalos has been behind bars since his arrest back in April of 2015.

Fox San Antonio talked to prosecutors about why it's taking so long for the case to go to trial.

"I know the closure they're looking for and it's never real closure it's really getting to the next level of trying to find peace," said Nico LaHood.

For families seeking justice the wait has been excruciating long.

The body of 15-year old Natalie Chavez was found back in December of 2015, 28-year old Rosemary Perez in January the same year.

Then there's the bodies of 29 year old Celia Lopez, and 46-year old Genevieve Ramirez both found in April of 2015.

31-year old Johnny Avalos has been indicted for Capital Murder in all four cases but he has yet to stand trial.

"I have met with some of the family members," LaHood said. "They know that I have had every intention of trying this case with David Lunan the other prosecutor but I can't control when the judge sets it for docket."

Bexar County District Attorney Nico LaHood says the case is ready to move forward, but a judge controls when the case is scheduled and placed on the docket.

"Our job is to be ready to try the case to evaluate the evidence to be ready to present it to a jury when a judge, any judge allows us to do that," LaHood explained.

After his arrest there'd been concerns about Avalos's mental state.

Earlier this year he was found competent by a magistrate judge to stand trial.

"We're not seeking the death penalty in this case because our expert and the defense expert both agree that he's intellectually challenged," said LaHood.

If found guilty prosecutors will seek a life sentence without the possibility for parole.

LaHood had hoped to go trial before he's slated to leave office.

"And that has obviously given the family some concern because they have intended on myself trying the case," LaHood said.

The trial is set for March of 2019.

https://foxsanantonio.com/news/local...ll-stand-trial
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

Accused San Antonio serial killer sentenced to two life terms

By Elizabeth Zavala
    mysanantonio.com

A San Antonio man accused of being a serial killer was sentenced Tuesday to life in prison.

Johnny Joe Avalos admitted to killing five women from October 2012 through April 2015.

Judge Lori Valenzuela sentenced him to two terms of life without the possibility of parole, which will be served at the same time.

As part of his plea agreement, Avalos admitted killing Vanessa Lopez in October 2012, Natalie Chavez in December 2014, Rosemary Perez in January 2015 and Celia Lopez in April 2015. He also admitted to attacking Genevieve Ramirez in March 2015; she died of her injuries April 3, 2015.

https://m.mysanantonio.com/news/loca...edium=referral
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Addict one_two_bomb's Avatar
    Even in Texas, the "worst of the worst" get plea deals. Bexar county DA's should be ashamed of themselves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information