Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fatima Abu Diab, Fahed Abu-Diab and Tyrone Thomas Sentenced in 2015 KY Murder of Scott Hunter

Fatima Abu Diab, Fahed Abu-Diab and Tyrone Thomas Sentenced in 2015 KY Murder of Scott Hunter

Scott Hunter, 49

Tyrone Thomas, Fatima Abu-Diab and Fahed Abu-Diab

May 4, 2015

Kentucky Derby trip was on murder victim's bucket list

By Jenny Yuen
    The Toronto Sun

TORONTO - Attending the Kentucky Derby was something Scott Hunter wanted to scratch off his bucket list.

When the opportunity came up to see the prestigious horse race in Louisville, Ky., over the weekend, the 49-year-old co-owner of Grinder Coffee in Riverdale didn’t hesitate to accompany a long-time friend from British Columbia on the trip.

The adventure turned into tragedy as the Toronto man was shot dead during a botched robbery Saturday around 9 p.m. — just a couple hours after the race — while walking with his friend in Louisville’s Phillips Lane area, local police said.

“He had never been before and this was very much their ‘knock it off their bucket list’ kind of trip,” Joelle Murray, Hunter’s business partner at Grinder, said Monday. “It wasn’t that he was a huge racing fan, but the boys had always wanted to do this. So they had an opportunity and they met up there.”

Three suspects — brother and sister Fahed Abu-Diab, 18, and Fatima Abu-Diab, 19, and Tyrone Thomas, Jr., 19 — were arrested Sunday evening and charged with first-degree murder and robbery. The investigation is ongoing.

“An altercation broke out and the victim was shot and pronounced dead on the scene,” Louisville Police spokesman Dwight Mitchell said Monday. “It was at least one shot.”

There was no word on when his body would be returned to Canada, police said.

Scott’s coffee shop — located on Gerrard St. E., near Jones Ave. — remained closed Monday. A sign on the door indicated that “due to a family emergency” the shop would open again Tuesday.

Grinder’s Facebook page was filled with messages of condolence.

“We’re going full-steam ahead,” said Murray, 41, a friend of Hunters for 18 years. “He had a very self-deprecating style of humour. We joke that it would be just like Scott to say, ‘God, I had to die to make my business popular?’ because that’s his sort of sense of humour.”

The House on Parliament, where Hunter also worked as a bartender, issued a memorial on its Facebook page.

“Scotty was an intrepid member of our family, able to fulfil any role we placed him in on the floor. We will remember him as a tough-as-nails co-worker with a heart of gold, always there with a warm hug, shoulder to cry on, a quick grin and funny as hell,” the post said.

A manager at Betty’s on King St. E. confirmed Hunter worked for the bar’s former owners 15 years ago.

“Heavy hearts at Betty’s today with sad news of a senseless passing of a former colleague and friend. R.I.P. Scott Hunter ... You are already missed,” said a post on Betty’s Facebook.

Hunter, who was not married, was one of two brothers and had a mother from Hamilton. He was often bitten by the travel bug. He had been to Mount Everest, India and backpacked across South America alone for six months.

He also ran Ironman triathlons and was into cycling and boxing.

“He lived life to the fullest, that boy,” Murray recalled. “He was amazing, he was quintessential ‘east-end’ all the way. Everyone knew him and liked him in the neighbourhood. He was our lovable curmudgeon. He was a character in all the right ways.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/05/04...ain-in-robbery
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Commonwealth's Attorney to seek death penalty against 3 suspects in Derby murder

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) – The Jefferson County Commonwealth's Attorney will seek the death penalty against three people accused of murdering a tourist in town for the Kentucky Derby, according to spokesperson Jeff Cooke.

Previous:

Kentucky Derby-goer from Canada murdered when returning to hotel after race

Cooke says the office filed a notice of aggravating circumstances last week, telling the court the prosecution would be seeking capital punishment in the case against Fahed Abu-Diab, Fatima Abu-Diab and Tyrone Thomas Jr.

“The aggravating circumstance in this case is that the murder was committed during the course of a robbery in the first degree,” Cooke said.

Fahed and Fatima Abu-Diab are charged with murder. Thomas is charged with complicity to murder.

All three are facing nearly a dozen robbery charges and Fatima Abu-Diab is also facing a possession of a controlled substance charge.

Cooke says the filing is a notice that death, and life without parole are potential penalties in the case.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/29279049/c...n-derby-murder
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Exclusive: New details, video of Derby robbery spree that ended in murder

By Karma Dickerson

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11) – It was a quarter until 4 a.m. Derby morning.

A man tries kicking his way into a car in the parking lot of a Louisville club. When it doesn't work out, he grabs a crowbar.

He takes 6 swings with the crowbar, still having trouble and gets some help.

"That's when the bigger Asian gentleman gets in with a sledgehammer," Brett Griffith said.

Griffith, who works at the club, says at the time he recognized the men in the video as people who had been in the club earlier that night and now he knows them from their mugshots.

19-year-old Tony Ha, who Griffith believes broke the window open and 18-year-old Fahed Abu Diab, who he says not just kicked that window, but ransacked another car in the parking lot. Griffith says they got away with a wallet and the needles, but suspects them in a theft of another car from the parking lot. Still after hearing what police say came next, he feels lucky "I'd rather lose a window in a truck than a life," he said.

Police tell us Canadian tourist Scott Hunter did lose his life because of what they say was a crime spree that involved these car break-ins, and a dozen armed robberies not far from the Louisville airport.

Police say Fahed Abu Diab, joined this time by his sister Fatima, and her boyfriend Tyrone Thomas shot Hunter in front of his hotel when he tried to fight back. But another visitor tells us they had more than a gun.

"When I poked my head back up, he was running back at me with a Taser, trying to tase me over the driver side door," Ingle said.

Ingle was in town for Derby from Iowa. He says he and his friend were in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn off Crittenden Drive, when he says Fahed Abu Diab attacked him, and Tyrone Thomas attacked his friend Lane Vangorden.

"There was also a second suspect running after him trying to pull out his pockets and take his laptop bag. Basically, they were just yelling, give us all you got," Ingle said.

Ingle tells us he locked himself in the car and honked the horn to scare the suspects off. He tells us they did get away with money. It wasn't until the drive home that he learned the true cost of that robbery spree and realized how close he and his friend had come to meeting the same fate as Scott Hunter.

"If I wasn't quick enough to get in and lock the door before he got to me, or maybe if we have struggled more then maybe they would have felt defensive, and fired."

http://www.whas11.com/story/news/loc...rder/28848423/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Court documents detail violent crime spree by suspects in Derby Day murder

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Prosecutors say the suspects charged with murdering a Canadian tourist as he returned to his hotel on Derby Day were in the middle of a violent crime spree involving Tasers and guns -- all while cruising around in a luxury car.

According to newly released evidence, the suspects are accused in a total of 15 violent robberies during Derby weekend. Court documents show the four suspects charged with murdering 49-year-old Scott Hunter were driving around in a Jaguar, preying on hotel guests mostly staying near the fairgrounds.

Police say Tyrone Thomas, Fatima Abu Diab, Fahed Abu Diab and Tony Ha would go up to victims shock them with a Taser, or at least threaten to shock them, hold the victim at gunpoint, assault them and then rob them.

Police report the suspects robbed eight victims on May 1 and 2.

One victim told police "He heard a buzz and felt a shock in his abdomen" then the suspects took cash right out of his pockets. Another victim says he was on his way up to his hotel room when Fatima Abu Diab asked for his phone number and followed him to his room. When he opened his door he says the other suspects forced their way inside then robbed him and two friends punching them when they resisted.

The ninth robbery victim was Hunter, who was in town from Canada to see the Derby.

Court documents show Fatima Abu Diab and Fahed Abu Diab attempted to rob Hunter, but he put up a fight before Tyrone Thomas shot and killed him.

"They were driving down Phillips Lane and saw the two victims walking on the side of the road, and that's when they got out of the vehicle and approached them," Kessinger said. "They went to rob both victims and, during the robbery, there was a struggle, at which time they fired a shot and killed the victim."

But it didn't end there.

Police say the crime spree continued after the murder and into the next day, with the suspects going on to rob six more men and women, stealing credit cards, clothes, blank checks, phones and a laptop.

All of the suspects are in custody awaiting their next court hearing later this month. Fahed and Fatima Abu-Diab are charged with murder. Thomas is charged with complicity to murder.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/29354860/c...rby-day-murder

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Group spreads message of hope from Toronto to Louisville after slaying

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — It's been a little more than three months since a Canadian man in town for the Kentucky Derby was gunned down after a robbery gone wrong.

News of Scott Hunter's death stunned many, not just in Louisville but in Toronto, the community he called home.

A local church group worked to change the way those grieving Hunter's loss perceived Louisville.

The Westport Road Baptist Church Youth Ministry planned to visit Toronto this summer long before Hunter's death.

When members of the group heard the news, their plans changed.

“I think that in that moment, it all really struck us. We're like, ‘Wow, we're going to this city and imagine what they might think about us now,’ you know?” youth ministry member Abby Johnston said.

“I just asked the question, ‘Is there anything we could do?’ (I) didn't know what would come of that,” student minister Joshua Miles said.

What the group came up with was a simple act of kindness: a commemorative painting.

“(It has) the Toronto skyline on top and the Louisville skyline on bottom and they merged and blended together with the word hope,” Miles said.

Johnston, a budding artist, created the painting.

The youth ministry hand-delivered it to Hunter’s closest friends at a coffee shop that he co-owned in Toronto with his business partner, Joelle Murray.

“And she got tears in her eyes and said, ‘Thank you, this means so much.’ So it was really neat to see that one, like, physical representation of the bridge that was built between our communities meant so much to her,” Johnston said.

Despite the almost 600 miles that separate the two cities and the tragedy that many thought would divide them, the group is showing that it's never too late to mend bridges and maybe build a few new ones along the way.

“Our goal is, how can we help bring a message of hope to this world and to this little coffee shop?” Miles said.

Before the group returned to Louisville, their hosts shared stories of Hunter.

They also snapped a picture to bring back memories.

“You know, it shows that connection that we have with that city and that we're there for them and we're there to give them a little bit of hope,” Johnston said.

Murray said the painting is on display in the coffee shop.

Fahed Abu-Diab, Fatima Abu-Diab and Tyrone Thomas are charged with murder in Hunter’s death.

Police said they were among a group of five people who went on a violent robbery spree during Derby weekend.

http://www.wlky.com/news/group-sprea...aying/34594722

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Friend of Derby night murder victim told police dream trip was 'tarnished in blood'

By Jason Riley
    WDRB.com

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Canadian resident Scott Hunter and his best friend, Robert Smith, were talking about their trip to Kentucky and how nice the walk back to their hotel was after a Derby night dinner on May 2, capping off their shared dream of attending the historic race for the first time.

Then, just a couple minutes from their hotel, two men approached them from behind and Smith felt something on his back, heard the zapping sound of a Tazer and ran, he told Louisville Metro Police, according to recently released court records. When he looked back seconds later, Hunter had been shot.

“He was lying face down on the ground,” Smith said. “It happened so fast.”

Smith's interview with police was released in court records recently along with interviews with the defendants, pictures and hundreds of pages of documents.

Fahed Abu-Diab, his sister Fatima Abu-Diab and her boyfriend, Tyrone Thomas Jr., were arrested for several robberies over Derby weekend and the murder of Hunter, 49. Investigators say those robberies involved 12 victims, most of them tourists.

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

The three defendants and two others charged in the robberies were in Jefferson Circuit Court on Thursday for a pre-trial hearing. They have all pleaded not guilty.

Smith, from British Columbia, told police he and Hunter had been in Louisville for a few days, spending time at the track and visiting the Louisville Slugger Museum and Muhammad Ali Center. After dinner on Derby night, they were enjoying a walk back to their hotel, admiring the full moon, not thinking about any possible dangers, Smith said.

“We were talking about how the whole trip was amazing … and the next thing you know my buddy is face down, dead,” Smith said, his voice sometimes choking with emotion in his interviews with police. “We went to something that we thought was spectacular and now it’s been tarnished with blood.”

Bystanders and police were on the scene, in the 600 block of Phillips Lane, within a minute.

Fahed Abu-Diab admitted to police that he and Thomas had robbed multiple people over the Derby weekend. Thomas was armed with a gun while he had a Tazer, Abu-Diab said.

But Abu-Diab said he tried to talk Thomas out of robbing Hunter and Smith, arguing the area was too crowded. He said he walked behind Thomas, only flashing his Tazer when the robbery turned into an altercation.

“What happened last night was him, all him, not me,” Abu-Diab said. He told police Hunter and Thomas got into a struggle during the robbery, and Thomas then fired his weapon.

Police expressed doubt about Abu-Diab's story, telling him he had admitted being complicit in every other robbery.

Thomas initially told police he was home with Fatima Abu-Diab the night of the murder. Later, after police told him they had interviewed Fatima, Thomas said he wanted an attorney and declined to speak further with investigators. An attorney for Thomas declined to comment.

In her interview with police, Fatima Abu-Diab said she stayed in the vehicle, and Thomas told her he shot Hunter in self-defense.

“That dude was big and was really attacking him, and that’s the only reason why he shot him,” Fatima said. “He was protecting himself.”

Smith told police the entire robbery and shooting lasted only seconds, and he didn’t believe Hunter fought with his attacker.

Hunter was pronounced dead at the scene at 11:23 p.m. of multiple gunshot wounds.

Hunter owned a coffee shop and enjoyed traveling, having been to Mount Everest, India and backpacked across South America alone for six months, according to the Toronto Star.

He also ran Ironman triathlons and was into cycling and boxing, the newspaper reported.

Smith told police the two men were making plans on how to celebrate Hunter’s upcoming 50th birthday.

“Could have just has easily been me too,” Smith said of the shooting. “I don’t know why it took Scotty.”

http://www.wdrb.com/story/30109333/f...ished-in-blood

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Police interview with Derby day murder suspect

FRANKFORT, Ky. (WHAS11) -- Earlier this year, a Canadian tourist that was in town for the Kentucky Derby was murdered as he was returning to his hotel.

During the investigation, Police heard a very different version of the story that ended on Phillips Lane with gunfire.

Fatima Abu Diab said her brother, Fahed Abu Diab and her boyfriend Tyrone Thomas, told her about an argument they'd had with two men.

She says she was nearby in the car when she heard gunfire.

“The dude was backing up to Tyrone because Tyrone said something smart to him and then the dude started beating up Tyrone and then my brother was fighting with the other guy,” Fatima Abu Diab said.

But police don't see this as a case of self-defense.

Fatima, her brother and boyfriend are all charged with the murder of Scott Hunter on Derby night.

Police said the trio was involved in several robberies that night and said Scott Hunter was one of their victims.

Fatima said her brother and boyfriend were talking with Hunter and his friend when things turned violent.

“Tyrone shot him. Tyrone only shot him because dude was beating him up. Tyrone [has] never killed anyone. He didn't mean to shoot him. He did not mean to shoot him at all,” Fatima said.

Police said the suspects used tasers and held people at gunpoint and then robbed them that weekend.

Two other people are charged in connection with the robberies.

http://www.whas11.com/story/news/inv...pect/73027798/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Suspects accused in deadly Derby weekend crime spree due in court

LOUISVILLE, Ky. —The suspects accused of a deadly crime spree on Derby weekend in 2015 are expected in court Tuesday.

Fahed Abu-Diab, his sister Fatima, her boyfriend Tyrone Thomas and Tony Ha are all charged in this case.

Police said they carried out a string of robberies that ended in a man's murder.

The Abu-Diab siblings and Thomas are charged with killing Scott Hunter.

Hunter was a Canadian tourist and was shot as he and a friend were walking to their hotel on Phillips Lane.

http://www.wlky.com/news/suspects-ac...court/41530516

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Derby murder suspect asks judge to lower his bond

By Kayla Vanover
    WAVE3 News

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - The defense attorney for one of three people charged in connection to the murder of a Canadian tourist who was in Louisville for the Kentucky Derby asked for his defendant's bond to be lowered.

Tyrone Thomas, Fahed Abu-Diab and Fatima Abu-Diab are charged with robbery and murder after Scott Hunter was robbed, shot and killed while walking to his hotel after the race.

Brother and sister Fahed Abu-Diab and Fatima Abu-Diab were in court Thursday morning. Fatima was only there to listen in on the bond hearing.

Fahed Abu-Diab's attorney asked the judge to reduce his bond from $500,000 to $50,000.

The Commonwealth's attorney argued that $500,000 is even a low amount, considering the Commonwealth is seeking the death penalty.

Jude Olu Stevens said he will consider both arguments and make a ruling the coming days.

http://www.wave3.com/story/36107769/...lower-his-bond

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

January 10, 2018

Suspects in 2015 Derby Day murder case appear in court

By WAVE3.com Staff

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - Three people accused of killing a Canadian tourist on Derby Day in 2015 were in court on Wednesday.

Tyrone Thomas, Fahed Abu -Diab and Fatima Abu-Diab are charged with robbery and murder after Scott Hunter was robbed, shot and killed while walking to his hotel after the race.

On Wednesday, defense attorneys argued that some witness identifications of defendants should be suppressed due to problems with photo packs and media coverage before some IDs were made.

A ruling was not made.

The next hearing in March will determine if the suspects will be tried separately. A hearing is set for April on possible death penalty charges.

http://www.wave3.com/story/37239962/...ppear-in-court

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information