Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Dylann Storm Roof - Federal Death Row

Dylann Roof’s death sentence upheld

A federal court has upheld the death sentence of Dylann Roof, who massacred 9 people at a South Carolina church frequented by black people in 2015, saying he could not express the “absolute horror” of the crime.

The 3 judges on the Richmond Fourth District Court of Appeals ruled unanimously.

Roof, who was 21 at the time, stormed into Our Lady of Emmanuel Church in Charleston on June 17, 2015, as a group of people were beginning to close prayers for his religious studies class and opened fire.

In 2017, Roof became the 1st person in the United States to be sentenced to death for a federal hate crime.

On appeal, attorneys argued that Roof was mistakenly allowed to defend himself during a key stage of sentencing proceedings.

The defendant managed to keep his mental health file private, “under the misconception,” the lawyers argue, “that he would have been rescued from prison by white nationalists, but curiously if he had hidden his mental illness.” .

The lawyers insisted that the conviction and death sentence should be overturned or, in any case, a new trial should be started “after a full psychiatric evaluation”.

The 3-judge panel concluded that the judge did not make a wrong decision in determining that Roof was eligible to stand trial and strongly condemned the criminal conduct.

“Dylann Roof killed African-Americans in his church who were praying and studying the Bible. They welcomed him with open arms. His whole purpose in doing this was not only to scare his immediate victims… but also to inform everyone who knew about the Holocaust,” the panel said.

“No cold narrative or detailed breakdown of criteria and context can express what Roof did. His crimes deserve the harshest punishment a harsh society can give,” they added.

An attorney for Roof, public defender Margaret Alice-Anne Farrand, declined to comment on the decision.

Following the federal trial, Roof was sentenced to nine consecutive life terms after pleading guilty to statewide murder in 2017, where he will be executed in federal prison.

But last month, Attorney General Merrick Garland suspended all federal executions while his office reassessed policy and procedures for the death penalty.

(source: en.memesrandom.com)
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Addict maybeacomedian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Even if Biden does nothing, Roof has alot of years to go before becoming eligible for execution. A Republican president like Trump or some other, would have no hesitation into carrying out federal executions. 13 federal executions in 6 months is credible. Bush did 3.
    I know Bush did McVeigh... what were the other two?

Senior Member Frequent Poster Ted's Avatar
    Juan Garza in June 2001, the week after McVeigh, and then Louis Jones in March 2003.
    Violence and death seem to be the only answers that some people understand.

Distributed for conference October 7, 2022.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/21-7234.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court DENIED Roof's petition for certiorari.

Lower Ct: United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
    Case Numbers: (17-3)
    Decision Date: August 25, 2021
    Rehearing Denied: September 27, 2021

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/...22zor_5426.pdf

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread Information