Thread: Andrew Wayne Young Sentenced to 40-50 Years in 2015 NC Slaying of his 13-Month-Old Daughter Ruby-Rayne Delana Young

Andrew Wayne Young Sentenced to 40-50 Years in 2015 NC Slaying of his 13-Month-Old Daughter Ruby-Rayne Delana Young

Ruby-Rayne Delana Young, one-year-old

DA seeks death penalty in infant death

The death penalty.

District Attorney Ernie Lee seeks conclusive justice for the man accused of slitting his baby’s throat with a steak knife at a Richlands home early morning May 3.

Although the defendant, Anthony Wayne Young, 37, allegedly called 911 and said he had “killed his daughter” after the butchering, according to previous Daily News reports, he pleaded “not guilty” in Onslow County Superior Court on Tuesday afternoon.

Young’s wide eyes scanned the courtroom gallery as he walked with a slight hunch and wore long, thin sideburns and a mustache.

An Onslow County grand jury indicted Young on one count of first-degree murder June 16 in connection with the death of Ruby-Rayne Delana Young — his 13-month-old girl for whom he had legal custody when authorities found her bleeding to death on May 3.

Lee said there are aggravating circumstances to justify a capital case: “especially elements of heinous, atrocious or cruel.”

He said the child’s age and the nature of the alleged acts meet the legal standards required.

Defense attorney Scott Jack of Jacksonville told the court he was not certain his client had the competence to understand the hearing’s implications.

“I’m not a psychiatrist or a psychologist,” Jack said as his client swayed and stood at the defense table with his worn hands by his sides.

Jack explained that his client has not been housed at Onslow County Jail but had to be transported from centers elsewhere in the state.

Young’s case was among numerous others — accusing defendants of major crimes — with proceedings rendered on Tuesday.

No autopsy report filed

The clanging of metal filled the courtroom Tuesday as detention officers removed restraints from a man accused of shooting his wife multiple times in the chest at the family’s home in the presence of children.

Christopher Michael Skaggs, 33, is accused of shooting his wife, Jordan Skaggs, about 9:45 p.m. July 13, 2014, at the family’s home on Cherry Blossom Lane. Skaggs is charged with first-degree murder in connection to her death.

A slender, tall Skaggs — noticeably thinner than his stature in mugshots — walked into the courtroom Tuesday and sat before slightly swiveling in his chair at the defense table beside attorney Dick McNeil of Jacksonville.

“All the discovery in my possession I’m hesitant to provide,” Lee told the court, adding that he lacks an autopsy report — a document typically received early in cases.

Judge Charles Henry continued the next hearing — to determine whether the case merits the death penalty — to July 28 amid the delays for disclosure of evidence in the case.

http://www.jdnews.com/article/201507...52386410104366

Murder trials pending in Onslow

By Jacksonville Daily News

Anthony Young, accused of cutting the throat of Ruby-Rayne Delana Young, his 13-month-old daughter, with a steak knife on May 3, 2015.

Investigators said Young called 9-1-1 and told dispatchers he killed his daughter, but he has pleaded not guilty in court.

Lee previously announced he is seeking the death penalty. His trial is to be scheduled for 2020.

https://www.jdnews.com/photogallery/...103009992/PH/1
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Legend
    October 26, 2022

'She trusted you': Onslow County man pleads guilty to 2015 murder of one-year-old daughter

By Morgan Starling
    The Daily News

A Richlands man charged with the 2015 murder of his one-year-old daughter pled guilty in Onslow County Superior Court Wednesday afternoon.

Anthony Wayne Young, now 44, pled guilty to felony second-degree murder and felony child abuse inflicting serious bodily injury. He was sentenced to a minimum of 480 months to a maximum of 600 months, or 40-50 years, in the North Carolina Department of Corrections.

On May 3, 2015, Young called 911 stating he had killed his 13-month-old daughter Ruby-Rayne Delana Young. Investigations and an autopsy showed Ruby's neck had been cut with a non-serrated steak knife and her cause of death was exsanguination.

According to the state's case presented by Onslow County District Attorney Ernie Lee, Young said he was reading the bible and trying to get himself right with God, that it was laying on his heart to make this sacrifice. Young stated in the nearly 11-minute 911 call that he woke up in the middle of his sleep, heart pumping.

"I don't want to do this...I didn't want to take her life...I told the heavenly father if this be your will...in the story of Abraham and Isaac, he thought someone would stop him," Young said in the call. "Ma'am, I cut her throat."

He added he thought God was testing his faith and that an angel would stop him.

Young did have several psychological evaluations, the most recent taking place on Sept. 19. Although he was found capable to proceed in court, part of his plea arrangement is that the court will recommend he be placed into a therapeutic diversion unit and will receive mental health treatment during his prison term.

Lee added that decision is up to the North Carolina Department of Public Safety.

Ruby's mother, Jewelie Reedy McNeil, was not living with Young at the time of the incident. However, she had checked on Ruby at Young's 112 Wilson Spur, Richlands residence before going to work the night before. Ruby was staying with Young for the weekend. McNeil gave a short, emotional statement to the court Wednesday afternoon.

"Anthony, she loved you so much," McNeil said to Young directly. "She loved you so much. She trusted you, I trusted you. The person she trusted the most besides me was you and you're the one that took her."

Young responded to McNeil with simply, "I loved her too."

Noted in previous The Daily News reports, Young has a criminal record in North Carolina, including drug convictions in 1995, 2001 and 2008, according to information from NCDPS.

"Losing my daughter Ruby has ripped me to shreds," McNeil said. "People say that losing a child, you lose a part of you. That puts it way too simple. It doesn't just take a part of you, it really rips it from you. I think of her every day, she was just a sweet little baby, she was sweet."

https://jdnews.com/story/news/2022/1...e/69592719007/

Thread Information