Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arkansas Death Warrant Discussion

Arkansas Death Warrant Discussion

Of the 34 men on death row, eight have exhausted all appeals and can be scheduled for execution. Sixteen are white and 18 are black.

The eight men are:

• Bruce E. Ward, 58, white, was sentenced in Pulaski County to death row Oct. 18, 1990, for capital murder. On Aug. 11, 1989, Ward strangled to death 18-year-old Rebecca Doss at a Little Rock convenience store where she worked. Ward emerged from the men's room after a police officer had entered the store and discovered there was no one behind the counter. Doss' body was found on the bathroom floor.

• Don W. Davis, 52, white, was sentenced in Benton County to death row March 6, 1992, for capital murder. On Oct. 12, 1990, Davis broke into the Rogers home of 62-year-old Jane Daniels. He shot her execution-style once in the head in a storeroom of her home with a .44-caliber Magnum revolver he had stolen in a previous burglary.

• Terrick Nooner, 44, black, was sentenced in Pulaski County to death row Sept. 28, 1993. In the early hours of March 16, 1993, Nooner shot 22-year-old Scott Stobaugh at close range seven times as he was washing his clothes at the Funwash Laundromat on West Markham Street in Little Rock. Nooner took $20 and a checkbook from Stobaugh. Nooner's accomplice, Robert Rockett, was sentenced to 65 years in prison after he pleaded guilty to first-degree murder.

• Stacey E. Johnson, 45, black, was sentenced in Sevier County to death row Sept. 23, 1994, for capital murder. On April 1, 1993, Johnson beat, cut and strangled to death 26-year-old Carol Heath at her De Queen home while her 2-year-old son and 6-year-old daughter were in the home. Heath's throat had been slashed to the bone and an inch into her spine.

• Jack H. Jones Jr., 51, white, was sentenced in White County to death row April 17, 1996, for capital murder. On June 6, 1995, Jones raped, beat and strangled to death 35-year-old Mary Phillips and severely beat her 11-year-old daughter. On the day of the killing, Phillips' daughter had gone to work with her mom at a Bald Knob bookkeeping firm where Jones had been painting a sign outside the business. Phillips' body was found the next day and her daughter, Lacey, was discovered in the office bathroom, bloodied and beaten, with a fractured skull.

• Marcel W. Williams, 44, black, was sentenced in Pulaski County to death Jan. 14, 1997, for capital murder. Williams abducted 22-year-old Stacy Errickson, a mother of two, at gunpoint from a Jacksonville convenience store Nov. 20, 1994, where she had stopped for gas on her way to work. Williams forced Errickson to withdraw money from several automated teller machines, raped her at a storage facility and then took her to North Little Rock's Riverview Park, where he beat and suffocated her.

• Jason F. McGehee, 39, white, was sentenced in Boone County to death Jan. 8, 1998, for capital murder. McGehee, who was 21 at the time, was the leader of a group that kidnapped and killed 15-year-old John Melbourne Jr. of Harrison on Aug. 19, 1996. His accomplices, Christopher Epps and Ben McFarland, were sentenced to life without parole in the murder. Melbourne's body was found in a heavily wooded area in northern Boone County on Sept. 3, 1996. Authorities said that the teenager had been beaten, kicked, burned with candles and strangled.

• Kenneth D. Williams, 36, black, was sentenced in Lincoln County to death Aug. 30, 2000, for capital murder. On Oct. 3, 1999, Williams escaped from the Cummins Unit at Varner by hiding in a vat of hog slop moved from the prison. He killed 57-year-old Cecil Boren, who was tending his garden near the prison. At the time of his escape, Williams was serving life in prison without parole in the 1998 slaying of a University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff cheerleader, 19-year-old Dominique "Nikki" Hurd.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2...20150/?f=crime
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Anyone care to hazard a guess which of the above inmates will be scheduled for execution first?

I am going to choose Stacey E. Johnson.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Why Johnson? The exceptional brutality of the crime?

I'll pick Ward since his murder goes back the furthest and he's been on death row longer than the other warrant-ready inmates.

It's the children being in the home that bothers me, Moh. I can't help thinking how much did the six-year-old witness. That being said, it was not an easy pick, as murders go they are all pretty terrible.

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Addict Richard86's Avatar
    I'd pick Ward for the same reasons as Moh outlined.

But it depends how they're being picked. Kenneth Williams is a good example of how LWOP doesn't necessarily protect the public. If we're doing it by brutality, I'd go for Marcel Williams. Did they all take as long to exhaust their appeals? I'd presume that Ward would have exhausted his first, but maybe not.

Edit: Just noticed there were 2 Williamses, should make clear which I mean!

Kenneth Williams might even give some antis pause. What are we supposed to do with a murderer serving LWOP who escapes and murders once again on the outside?

I just found something online, Kenneth Williams murdered three people...he is starting to look like a good choice for first to go

December 15, 2005

Death Row Inmate Pleads Guilty To 3rd Murder

An Arkansas death row inmate who confessed to killing another man in a letter to the editor of The Pine Bluff Commercial has pleaded guilty to the second death. Kenneth Williams entered the plea Tuesday in Jefferson County Circuit Court. In a hearing at the Jefferson County, Williams said he took the life of Jerrell Jenkins by shooting him twice on December 13th, 1998.

After reading the charges, Circuit Judge Berlin Jones asked Williams if he was guilty as charged. Williams replied, quote, "Yes I am."

Williams received a death sentence for the October Third, 1999, slaying of 57 year old Cecil Boren after Williams broke out of the Cummins Unit at Varner. He had been serving a sentence of life without parole in the slaying of University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff cheerleader Dominique "Nikki" Hurd.

On Tuesday, the judge sentenced Williams to another term of life without parole in Jenkins' slaying and to life on a charge of aggravated robbery and ten years on a charge of theft of property.

In a June letter to the newspaper, Williams said that on the day of the cheerleader's death, he also killed the 36 year old Jenkins, of Pine Bluff.

http://archive.thv11.com/news/articl...-To-3rd-Murder

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Well, it looks as though the governor has set execution dates for the eight inmates in chronological order based on the date of crime and sentence.

So who is first to go Moh? Is it Ward?

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

I don't know, but Ward would make sense since both his offense and sentence go the furthest back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information