Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: James Terry Colley, Jr. - Florida Death Row

James Terry Colley, Jr. - Florida Death Row

Amanda Colley, 36, and
    Lindy Dobbins, 39

Fla. man captured in Virginia in slaying of estranged wife, friend

ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- After an hours-long search Virginia police captured and arrested a northeast Florida man wanted in the murder of his estranged wife and another woman.

The St. Johns County Sheriff's Office said 35-year-old James Colley was arrested on suspicion of murder and driving under the influence late Thursday after a traffic stop in Norton, Virginia.

Killed were Colley's wife 36-year-old Amanda Colley and her friend, 39-year-old Lindy Dobbins of western New York.

Witnesses told detectives that Colley shot the two women at a house in St. Augustine, and then fled.

Court records show that Colley earlier Thursday was found to be in violation of a protective order meant to keep him away from his wife.

Court records show that a domestic violence case was filed against Colley in July.

Neighbors told the Florida Times Union
    that James Colley has been unstable for months and has bragged in the past about having guns in his house.

According to the paper, Amanda Colley requested the protective order when she came home from a weekend away to find her clothes burned in the backyard.

James Colley allegedly entered her family's home to "search for her," threw a purse at her, threatened to kill her dog and stole her medication, the paper reports, citing the court order.

"He has threatened to 'cut' her if he caught her cheating," the order reads.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-...d-wife-friend/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

St. Augustine man indicted for murder of wife, best friend

By First Coast News

ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. — A St. Augustine man has been indicted for the murder of his wife and her best friend. James Terry Colley Jr., 35, is charged with first degree murder, attempted murder, and burglary stalking.

State Attorney R.J. Larizza announced the indictment Friday afternoon.

Colley was arrested in Norton, Virginia.

Amanda Cloaninger Colley was buried Tuesday. Her friend Lindy Dobbins was buried Thursday. They were shot to death in Colley's upscale St. Johns County home last week.

Hours before his wife and a family friend were shot to death inside a South Bellagio Drive home Thursday, Colley had been in court pleading no contest to violating an injunction for protection against domestic violence ordered by a judge last month, court records show.

Earlier in the day, a judge ordered James Terry Colley, Jr., 35, of St. Augustine, received a year of unsupervised probation as part of his plea agreement, which ordered him to surrender his weapons, complete a batterers' intervention class and have no contact with his estranged wife, Amanda Cloaninger, according to court papers obtained by First Coast News.

"He could have been locked up, and he was allowed to go on probation and surrender his weapons and stay away from his wife," St. Johns County Sheriff David Shoar told reporters at a news conference last week.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story/...cted/71721208/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

James Colley behind bars in Saint Johns County

ST. JOHNS COUNTY, Fla. - The man indicted on two counts of first degree murder in the shooting death of his wife and her friend is behind bars in St. Johns County.

James Colley, 35, was booked into the St. Johns County jail just after 6:00 p.m. Colley is accused of shooting and killing his wife, Amanda Colley, 36, and her friend, Lindy Dobbins, 39, back on August 27.

Colley was on the run and arrested later than night in Norton Virigina. [FULL STORY]

http://www.news4jax.com/news/james-c...ounty/35128938

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Edited:

No bond for Fla. man accused of killing estranged wife, friend

By Crimesider Staff

ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- A man accused of killing his estranged wife and her best friend in St. Augustine, Florida has made his first appearance before a Florida judge after he was arrested last month in Virginia, reports CBS affiliate WJAX.

James Colley faces two counts of first-degree murder, burglary while armed and aggravated stalking after injunction, reports the station. He reportedly appeared in court shackled and showed little emotion as a St. John's County judge ordered him held without bond.

The 35-year-old Colley was arrested on suspicion of murder and driving under the influence Aug. 27 after a traffic stop in Norton, Virginia, the St. Johns County Sheriff's Office said.

Killed were Colley's estranged wife, 36-year-old Amanda Colley, and her friend, 39-year-old Lindy Dobbins of western New York.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/no-bond-...d-wife-friend/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

New details surface on man accused of killing wife, friend

ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. - James Colley Jr., the man charged with two counts of first-degree murder in the shooting death of his wife and her friend, is behind bars in St. Johns County.

Colley, 35, made his first appearance before a judge Sunday morning. In addition to the murder charges he is accused of one count of burglary with assault and battery, one of burglary of a structure while armed and one count of aggravated stalking after injunction charges.

Colley was ordered held without bond.

Colley is accused of shooting and killing Amanda Colley, 36, and her friend, Lindy Dobbins, 39, in a home off International Golf Parkway.

A new police report released Tuesday recounts the harrowing minutes before the two women's deaths as James Colley stormed through the home with a handgun.

According to deputies, Dobbins and Amanda Colley were in the home with two friends, Rachel Hendricks and Lamar Douberly, as James Colley emerged from a wooded area in the home's backyard, pulled out a handgun and started shooting into the home's sliding glass doors.

Amanda Colley ran to hide in a bathroom while Dobbins and Hendricks hid in a closet in the home.

As James Colley entered the home, deputies said he began yelling, "Where is he?" trying to find Douberly, who had run out of the house.

While Hendricks and Dobbins were in the closet Hendricks pressed herself against the door, trying to keep James Colley out while yelling at him that Amanda Colley wasn't in the closet.

Deputies said that James Colley started shooting into the closet, barely missing Hendricks, but causing her to fall away from the door and giving James Colley enough room to open the door, shooting and killing Dobbins.

The report said that while James Colley was shooting Dobbins, Hendricks was able to escape and began calling police as James Colley found his estranged wife, shooting and killing her.

After killing the two women, James Colley called his father, James Colley Sr., and said that he had shot his wife and her friend, before taking off, eventually being stopped by police in Virginia.

James Colley was returned from Virginia, where he was arrested Aug. 27, several hours after the victims were found. He was booked into the St. Johns County Jail just after 6 p.m. Saturday.

The report also said that this isn't the first time that James Colley acted aggressively and violently toward his estranged wife.

On July 13, Amanda Colley got a temporary injunction against James Colley after he had broken into her home, taken all of her clothing and burned them in the yard, deputies said.

Then on Aug. 27, officials said that James Colley broke into Amanda Colley's home again, ransacking the house, breaking televisions and taking things from the home.

James Colley is expected back in court Sept. 28 for arraignment.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/new-det...riend/35162858

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    State seeks death penalty for accused killer

James Colley Jr. charged with murder in death of estranged wife, her friend

ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. - The state wants the death penalty on the table in the August shooting deaths of a St. Augustine woman and her friend.

Police say Amanda Colley and Lindy Dobbins were killed in Amanda Colley's Murabella home Aug. 27 by her estranged husband, James Colley Jr. Two other people were inside the home and escaped, police said.

James Colley, 35, faces charges of murder, burglary with assault and battery, burglary of a structure while armed, and aggravated stalking after injunction.

State Attorney R.J. Larizza announced Tuesday that the prosecution will seek the death penalty against James Colley. He is set for a pretrial conference at 8:30 a.m. Jan. 7 before Judge Michael Traynor.

The shooting

According to deputies, Dobbins and Amanda Colley were in Amanda Colley's home with two friends, Rachel Hendricks and Lamar Douberly, as James Colley emerged from a wooded area in the home's backyard, pulled out a handgun and started shooting into the home's sliding glass doors.

Amanda Colley ran to hide in a bathroom while Dobbins and Hendricks hid in a closet in the home.

As James Colley entered the home, deputies said he began yelling, "Where is he?" trying to find Douberly, who had run out of the house.

While Hendricks and Dobbins were in the closet, Hendricks pressed herself against the door, trying to keep James Colley out while yelling at him that Amanda Colley wasn't in the closet.

Deputies said that James Colley shot into the closet, barely missing Hendricks, but causing her to fall away from the door and giving James Colley enough room to open the door, shooting and killing Dobbins.

The report said that while James Colley was shooting Dobbins, Hendricks was able to escape. She called police as James Colley found his estranged wife, shooting and killing her, deputies said.

After killing the two women, James Colley called his father and said that he had shot his wife and her friend, before driving away, deputies said.. He was eventually stopped by police in Virginia.

James Colley was returned to St. Johns County from Virginia, where he was arrested Aug. 27, several hours after the victims were found.

The report also said that this isn't the first time James Colley acted aggressively and violently toward his estranged wife.

On July 13, Amanda Colley got a temporary injunction against James Colley after he had broken into her home, taken all of her clothing and burned it in the yard, deputies said.

Officials said that on Aug. 27 James Colley broke into Amanda Colley's home again, ransacking the house, breaking televisions and taking things from the home hours before the shooting.

James Colley is being held in jail in St. Johns County with no bond.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/state-s...iller/36367642

Disturbing details emerge in double murder

911 calls, voice mails emerge in double murder case

By Scott Johnson
    News4Jax

ST. JOHNS COUNTY, Fla. - Chilling calls to 911 and disturbing details outline the moments after two mothers were shot and killed in a St. Johns County home in late August.

New discovery material was released in the case against James Colley Jr., the man charged with murdering his estranged wife, Amanda Cloaninger Colley, and her friend, Lindy Dobbins, at their Murabella home in August.

An intense manhunt started after the killings and James Colley was arrested the same night in Virginia and the state is now seeking the death penalty against him.

Investigators said he returned to the home he was living at with his father while he had been separated from his wife and inside the home investigators found 16 guns as well as blood spattered around the home.

They said James Colley Jr. took another car and headed out of town while authorities interviewed his mother who said she had seen her son not too long before the shooting when he had been on the phone with Amanda Colley.

“This look just came over his face. I’ve never seen that look before in my life,” Judy Colley, James Colley Jr.’s mother, said.

Nearly 70 pages of documents and several discs, all containing information against James Colley Jr. were released documenting the moments shortly before the killings that day.

There were also voice mails released of James Colley calling his wife and leaving messages after he left the courthouse.

"Please talk to me. Please, Amanda," James Colley said. "I'm out of court. Please talk to me. Baby, I, please. This is the last time I am calling and begging you. Please."

Colley was in court for violating a domestic violence injunction that Amanda Colley had gotten against him earlier in the month as part of the tumultuous divorce that they were going through.

According to the documents, Amanda Colley had reported that her estranged husband had broken into her house and trashed it.

When asked about those marital problems, Judy Colley said that her son was upset over Amanda Colley going out at night.

"You know what, my husband would’ve beat the hell out of me. He wouldn’t kill me, but he would’ve beat my a**. Maybe he should’ve done that and got that frustration out. I’ve been married 45 years and you know people don’t work on their marriages like we did,” Judy Colley said.

LISTEN: Judy Colley police interview

There is video from the crime scene that day and numerous 911 calls, including from two people who witnessed the shooting.

One of those people was Lamar Douberly, who, according to the documents, had been dating Amanda Colley for a few months. Once the gunshots started, Douberly ran out of the house and called 911.

LISTEN: 911 calls from Amanda Colley's murder

Lamar Douberly: “Shots were fired from the outside into the house, sliding glass through the window.”

Operator: “Do you know who it was?”

Douberly: “I’ve got a great idea who it was.”

Operator: “OK, are they still there?”

Lamar Douberly: “I don’t know, I don’t know. I left. I had to run.”

Operator: “The gunshots didn’t hit anybody, correct?”

Lamar Douberly: “No, they hit the back and then glass shattered everywhere. They hit the sliding glass window. I’m displaced. I think the shots were aimed at me.”

LISTEN: Lamar Douberly 911 call

Rachel Hendricks was also in the home at the time of the shooting and managed to get to a neighbors house where she also called 911.

Operator: "And you saw him firing the gun?"

Rachel Hendricks: "Yes, I got grazed by a bullet."

Operator: "She says she got grazed by a bullet when he started firing. She ran to the neighbors."

Rachel Hendricks: "He point blank shot my friend that was right in front of me. I am scared to death for my life. He shot Amanda and he shot Lindy Dobbins, our other friend that was there with us."

LISTEN: Rachel Hendricks 911 call

The documents also outline what James Colley Jr. did right after the murders. They say his father, James Colley Sr. told police he got a call from his son saying he shot two people.

They say he told his father, "Dad, she's put me back in jail, I can't handle it anymore. It's over, she just won't let it go, so I did what I had to do. I can't go to prison, I shot two people."

After the shooting, Judy Colley told investigators she thought her son may have headed to the mountains of West Virginia where they had relatives and told police they may never find him.

Police eventually found James Colley Jr. in Virginia when a woman called 911 saying that a man was driving erratically and had been tailgating her.

Woman: "Yeah he is flying. I'm going 60, 65."

Operator: "So he is in front of you?"

Woman: "Yes, he will slam on his brakes, slam on his brakes."

Operator: "Norton be advised she's advising the subject passed her but he's trying to stop in the middle of the road in front of her."

Woman: "He has been stopped in the middle of the road, I had to stop, he was on me. I couldn’t even. My kids are scared. Yeah, my mom had to sit in the back of my car to keep my kids calm. They’re scared. And I have a newborn that’s just four pounds.”

LISTEN: Virginia police 911 call

Colley was eventually stopped by police and arrested in Virginia before being transported back to St. Johns County where he is currently awaiting trial.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/chillin...-case/36552472

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Edited

Man in murder case due in court

Thursday’s docket indicates Traynor is scheduled to oversee pretrial hearing for James Colley.

A grand jury in September indicted Colley, 35, on two counts of first-degree murder in the Aug. 27 shooting deaths of his estranged wife, 36-year-old Amanda Cloaninger Colley, and her friend, Lindy Mosler Dobbins, 39.

He is also facing two counts of attempted first-degree murder with a firearm, burglary with assault or battery, armed burglary, and aggravated stalking after injunction He has pleaded not guilty.

http://staugustine.com/news/local-ne...t#.VopfV1JdLIU
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Colley decides to keep attorney without death penalty qualification

By Kumasi Aaron
    News4JAX

ST. JOHNS COUNTY, Fla. - The man deputies said shot and killed his wife and her friend last summer was back in court Thursday.

The judge is sorting out some legal issues before James Colley Jr. heads to court to face a murder charge.

Police arrested Colley in Virginia last August, days after he allegedly shot and killed his estranged wife, Amanda Colley and her friend, Linda Dobbins at his wife’s St. Johns County home.

Amanda Colley filed for a domestic violence injunction the month before, which Colley violated.

He had a hearing on the violation just before deputies said he shot and killed the women.

This latest hearing was to determine if Colley wanted to keep his attorney, knowing that he is not death penalty qualified. The judge told Colley if he said yes he wouldn’t be able to appeal later.

Colley is charged with first degree murder and his latest court appearance wasn’t as much about those charges, as it was about his attorney’s ability to defend him against them.

Colley’s attorney, Terry Shoemaker, spoke to News4Jax over the phone.

“The whole meaning of the hearing was just to make sure that JR understood that because I'm not death penalty qualified for the Florida statue that he cannot later use that as an appellate issue,” Shoemaker said.

When a client is facing capital punishment in a Florida case, like Colley is, a lawyer has to meet qualifications to represent them.

Attorney Gene Nichols, not affiliated with the case, know all about those qualifications.

“It means having enough trials involving death penalty cases or in the alternative have been involved in enough high-profile cases understanding the nuances of expert testimony understand the nuances of forensic testimony to make sure that they are well qualified to represent a defendant,” Nichols said.

Colley told the judge, despite Shoemaker’s lack of qualifications, he’d keep his attorney.

“If the defendant loses and it comes back on appeal the State’s position is going to be that the defendant waived his right to have somebody who met that requirement,” Nichols said.

For now Colley moves forward with his current counsel, which could soon include another attorney with death penalty qualifications. Shoemaker is aware of this.

“That's been something we talked about since day one and that may be something that happens, but at this point we are not sure,” Shoemaker said.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/lawyer-...murder-suspect

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Text messages reveal tumultuous relationship between wife, husband accused in her murder

James Colley Jr. charged with murdering estranged wife

By Ethan Calloway
    news4jax.com

ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. - News4Jax is getting a closer look at the days and hours leading up to the shocking double murder of two mothers in August.

James Colley Jr. is charged with murdering his estranged wife, Amanda Colley, and her friend, Lindy Dobbins, at their St. Augustine home.

Police said James Colley Jr. was in court that day for violating a domestic violence injunction his wife had gotten against him. They said he left court and went to the home, shooting and killing the two women.

News4Jax went through hundreds pages of text messages that were released Monday.

Text messages sent between James and Amanda Colley show a tumultuous relationship -- a marriage headed for divorce with two children caught in between.

The messages also set the stage for what would end in a nightmare scenario for everyone involved. The day before the murders, James Colley Jr. texted his wife asking for another chance.

The text message read, "Please try to start forgiving me so we can move on… I really miss u and our family being together."

And on the day of the murders, James Colley Jr. sent the following text messages to his wife:

"You’re an awesome persons…"

"Don’t take [me] from my kids, it’s all I have."

And finally, "Call me, or I am going to come find you."

Other texts from Amanda Colley to some of James’ family members expressed worry for the couple’s children.

"I just wanted you all to see what your brother is capable of, and why I am scared for the safety of my kids," the text read.

She was referring to when her estranged husband allegedly took clothes from her closet and set them on fire in the yard.

Family members went on to challenge Amanda on her husband’s behavior. Conversations between Amanda and her friends, including Dobbins, who was also murdered, talk about the sadness she felt about the fighting with James and the effects on her children. Just days later, she and Dobbins were dead.

James Colley Jr. also ransacked their home before the murders happened.

He admitted to his father that he shot the two women just minutes after it happened.

James Colley Jr. is being held at the St. Johns County Jail on no bond and is due back in court for a pretrial hearing on April 6.

http://www.news4jax.com/web/wjxt/new...-in-her-murder

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information