Thread: Alan Tysheen Eugene Lassiter Sentenced to LWOP in 2015 NC Murder of 3-Year-Old Daughter Calista Lassiter

Alan Tysheen Eugene Lassiter Sentenced to LWOP in 2015 NC Murder of 3-Year-Old Daughter Calista Lassiter

911 Call: "I just drowned my two daughters in the lake"

Durham, NC — In an emotional, 8-minute call, a Raleigh man tells a 911 dispatcher that he tried to drown his two daughters in a Durham lake because Child Protective Services "wanted to take them away from me."

Police say the man heard on the call, Alan Tysheen Eugene Lassiter, 29, threw his three children into the lake near Shearwater Drive shortly after 9 p.m. Sunday.

An off-duty Durham County sheriff’s deputy, David Earp, pulled two of the children – a 3-year-old girl and a 5-year-old girl – out of the water. Their 7-year-old brother was able to get away and run for help, police said.

Officers performed CPR on the girls until EMS arrived, and the girls remained hospitalized Monday. The 3-year-old is in critical condition and the 5-year-old is in stable condition. The 7-year-old boy is with relatives, according to police.

In the 911 call released Monday, the man sounds frantic and angry as he asks the 911 dispatcher to send police and an ambulance.

"I just drowned my two daughters in the lake back there … 'cause CPS wanted to take them away from me," he said. "I was dealing with some pedophilia things, OK, OK. I was dealing with some sexual desires that I was trying to get some help with, but instead they turned their back on me, the whole system, and tried to take my kids, and they took the rest of the, of the little happiness that I had."

"Y’all take this and learn from me. When somebody asks for help, really help them, OK? Because y’all didn’t help me," he continued. "You blame CPS for this. They (are) trying to take people’s kids over dumb (expletive), and this is what you get! All I wanted was help … They wasn't there for me. Nobody was there for me … Nobody helped me."

The manager at Lassiter's apartment complex did not want to be identified, but said the incident started with Lassiter walking around the complex saying that his child had been kidnapped. The manager was on the scene before authorities arrived and at one point she even took the phone from Lassiter to speak with the 911 dispatcher.

During the call, he asks the 911 dispatcher to have someone break the news to his wife.

"I need an ambulance out there (for her). She’s gonna be in shock," he said.

He also asks for help for his children.

"Please send an ambulance. My daughters are in the lake drowning," he said. "Did y’all find my son?"

Lassiter was arrested at the scene and placed in the Durham County jail under a $2.25 million bond. He is charged with three counts of attempted murder.

"Whether you have children or not, you're impacted by young lives that are placed in such a horrendous situation," Durham Chief of Police Jose Lopez said.

Lassiter's choice of the Audubon Lake area for his act was a mystery to police and to Dorothy Hockett, who lives there.

"I actually work at a preschool around here," she said. "It's actually frightening to hear something like that."

http://www.wral.com/police-raleigh-d...lake/14915396/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Police: Girl dies after dad's drowning attempt in pond

DURHAM, N.C. (AP) — A 3-year-old girl died Wednesday, three days after her father tried to drown her and her sister in an apartment complex pond, police said.

The girl was fully submerged when an off-duty sheriff's deputy pulled her from the pond on Sunday night. She had been in critical condition at a hospital since then, said Durham Police spokeswoman Kammie Michael.

Alan Tysheen Eugene Lassiter is currently charged with three counts of attempted murder for trying to kill the girl, her sister and their 7-year-old brother. Lassiter is jailed on a bond of $2 million and is awaiting a court hearing next month.

Lassiter's 5-year-old daughter was rescued from the pond, and she has been released from the hospital, police said. The 7-year-old boy got away from Lassiter and ran for help, police said.

On Sunday night, Lassiter flagged down passers-by at the Audubon Lake apartments and told them he thought his son had been kidnapped and needed help finding him, apartment complex manager Sylvia Scott said Tuesday.

It wasn't until later that Lassiter told Scott and a 911 operator that he'd thrown his 3- and 5-year-old daughters in the pond, Scott said. The girls were pulled from the water by Durham County Sheriff's Deputy David Earp, who lives nearby.

Scott said she called Earp. As the deputy retrieved the girls, Lassiter stood nearby smoking a cigarette. He became distraught, wailed "What have I done?" and started to cry, Scott said.

Lassiter, 29, of Raleigh, did not live at the apartment complex, according to Durham Police Chief Jose Lopez.

Earp said the girls were about 10 feet from a bank that slopes sharply down to the pond, which is about as long as a football field. The 5-year-old was floating and crying, Earp said. Her 3-year-old sister was fully submerged. Earp said he walked into water about 5 feet deep and snatched each one under an arm.

The five-year veteran of the sheriff's department said he and the arriving officers from the Durham police department performed CPR on the 3-year-old for about 15 minutes until medical help arrived.

In the 911 call, Lassiter acknowledged trying to drown the children, and between expletive-laden rage and distraught sobs, he told a dispatcher officials had tried to take away his children as he dealt with a personal problem.

Court records show Lassiter and his wife had a rocky start to their marriage six years ago.

Ashley Ivey sought a domestic violence protection order and signed a statement May 15, 2009, that said Lassiter "threatened to throw hot oil in my face and cut my hair off."

"He also threatened to take my son from me for a long time. All this started because I didn't want to marry him."

Ivey added that "things of this nature" had also happened previously.

Ivey voluntarily dismissed her complaint four days later. Less than two weeks later, they were married.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/nationa...f845606cb.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    Raleigh dad won’t face death penalty after drowning child in Durham pond

DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) – A Raleigh father accused of throwing his children into a pond in Durham resulting in the death of his 3-year-old daughter will not face the death penalty.

In September 2015, Alan Lassiter called 911 after he tossed his children, including a 3 and 5-year-old, in a pond at Audubon Lake Apartments.

One of Lassiter’s kids was able to escape and called for help.

Lassiter’s 3-year-old child died as a result of the incident and he was charged with murder. He also faces charges of attempted first- degree murder.

Lassiter called 911 after the incident. In the call, he expressed that he was dealing with having sexual feelings toward children.

“CPS was trying to take my kids away from me. All I did was try to go get help … because I was dealing with some [inaudible] things, OK?” he said. “I was dealing with some sexual desires. I started to go get help with, but instead they turned their back on me, the whole system and tried to take my kids [crying inaudible]… Y’all take this and y’all left me. When somebody asks for help, really help them OK? Really help them, because y’all didn’t help me.”

Lassiter’s wife, Ashely Lassiter, was charged with two counts of negligent child abuse during the investigation.

Alan Lassister’s case is next due in court on Aug. 1.

http://wncn.com/2016/05/06/raleigh-d...n-durham-pond/

Trial opens for man charged with drowning daughter

By AP

DURHAM, N.C. (AP) – A trial has started for a North Carolina man charged with drowning his 3-year-old daughter and trying to kill his other two children.

News outlets report 33-year-old Alan Lassiter’s trial began Friday with jurors hearing conflicting arguments about his mental state on the time of his daughter’s killing.

A prosecutor, Boz Zellinger, says Lassister knew what he was doing when he bound the hands and feet of his two young daughters and tossed them into a Durham pond in 2015.

Defense attorney Lindsay Bass told jurors that Lassiter is severely mentally ill and believed he needed to kill his children to save them from foster care.

An off-duty sheriff’s deputy pulled the girls from the water, but Lassiter’s 3-year-old daughter, Calista, died. Lassiter’s 7-year-old son escaped and ran for help.

https://www.wnct.com/news/north-caro...ning-daughter/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Edited:

Dad accused of drowning his daughter in Durham found guilty of first-degree murder

By Alfred Charles
    WRAL News

The man accused of drowning his young daughter over four years ago was found guilty Tuesday of first-degree murder in her death and guilty of two counts of attempted first-degree murder.

The trial for Alan Tysheen Eugene Lassiter, 33, began two weeks ago, during which Lassiter admitted that he drowned Calista, his 3-year-old daughter, but argued that he should be cleared because he was insane when she was slain.

Lassiter was ordered to serve life in prison without the possibility of parole for the murder charge and received a sentence of up to 15 years in prison for the attempted murder charges, which would be served consecutively with the life sentence.

Lassiter didn't show much emotion during the hearing.

https://www.wral.com/dad-accused-of-...rder/18795828/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information