Thread: Billy Jo McLean Sentenced to LWOP in 2015 NC Murders of Calandra Mclean and Tashonna Cameron

Billy Jo McLean Sentenced to LWOP in 2015 NC Murders of Calandra Mclean and Tashonna Cameron

Calandra Mclean and Tashonna Cameron

Death penalty sought for NC man accused of killing wife and stepdaughter

SANFORD, N.C. (WNCN) – Prosecutors announced Monday they would seek the death penalty for a Sanford man accused of killing his wife and stepdaughter.

Billy Jo Mclean is accused of killing Calandra Mclean and Tashonna Cameron, 13, in July.

On July 13, Sanford firefighters responded to an apartment complex in response to a strong gas odor.

When firefighters arrived, they found smoke coming from an apartment nearby and found Mclean and Cameron inside the apartment at 916 Clark Circle.

Authorities said Billy Jo Mclean took his 17-year-old stepson to Texas following the killings.

Billy Jo Mclean was found at the Royal Inn located at in Wildorado, Texas, shortly after midnight July 17.

At a court appearance in Lee County on Monday, prosecutors announced they are seeking the death penalty for Billy Jo Mclean.

Billy Jo Mclean is charged with two counts of first-degree murder in connection with the case.

Billy Jo Mclean’s next scheduled court appearance in in March.

http://wncn.com/2015/11/16/prosecuto...-stepdaughter/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Autopsy: Sanford woman strangled before home set ablaze

RALEIGH, N.C.
    — A Sanford woman whose body was found, along with her daughter's, in a burned-out home last summer had been bound with duct tape and strangled before the house was set ablaze, according to an autopsy report released Wednesday.

Firefighters found the bodies of Calandra McLean, 42, and her 13-year-old daughter, Tashonna Cameron, inside the family's 916 Clark Circle home on July 13.

A nationwide search ensued for McLean's husband, Billy Jo McLean, 54, who was arrested four days later at a motel in the Texas Panhandle, where he had fled with his stepson.

Seventeen-year-old Tobias McLean, who had walked to a nearby diner while Billy Jo McLean slept, learned from Facebook about the deaths of his mother and sister and the manhunt for his stepfather and asked diner employees to call 911.

The medical examiner found no evidence of smoke inhalation in Calandra McLean, according to the autopsy report, indicating she was dead before the fire. There was evidence she had been strangled, and duct tape was found wrapped around her mouth and was used to bind her hands behind her back, the report states.

The autopsy report for Cameron hasn't been released yet.

Prosecutors plan to seek the death penalty against Billy Jo McLean.

http://www.wral.com/autopsy-sanford-...laze/15217863/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Edited:

Billy Jo McLean Denied Motion to Change Counsel

By Shawn Taylor
    The Sanford Herald

On Monday, Gilchrist denied a motion by Billy Jo McLean to change counsel, court employees confirmed, although attorneys discussed the motion outside of the public's view.

McLean is charged with murdering his wife, Calandra McLean, and his 13-year-old stepdaughter, Tashonna Cameron, on July 13, 2015. Authorities reported McLean bound his wife with duct tape, set their Clark Circle home on fire, kidnapped his stepson, Tobias McLean, and fled to Texas.

McLean sent a letter to The Herald, dated Aug. 7, again stating that he does not trust his attorney, Stephen Freedman, and would like to change representation. Public defenders Freedman and Robert Singagliese are representing McLean; Freedman did not return several calls requesting comment. Staff at his office said Freedman does not respond to emails.

McLean had sent an earlier letter to The Herald in March, claiming that his attorneys would not allow his to change his plea.

“I am not afraid of [the court] or the DA. But I am very afraid of my law[y]er and I have said this to them," McLean wrote. "I do not need [the] lawyer in the l[o]ng run. It will be bad for me. I believe I have the right to change my [plea].”

Family members of the victims declined to comment Tuesday.

All information provided comes directly from the corresponding law enforcement agency. All defendants facing criminal charges are presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty in court.

http://www.sanfordherald.com/teenage...9c3747cf8.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Sanford man gets life sentence for killing wife, stepdaughter

By WRAL.com

SANFORD, N.C. — A Sanford man avoided the death penalty Thursday by pleading guilty to killing his wife and stepdaughter two years ago.

Billy Jo McLean, 56, was sentenced to life in prison without parole after pleading guilty to two counts of first-degree murder.

Sanford firefighters found the bodies of Calandra McLean, 42, and Tashonna Cameron, 13, inside the family's 916 Clark Circle home on July 13, 2015.

Autopsies determined both women had been strangled before the house was set ablaze, and Calandra McLean had been bound and gagged with duct tape.

A nationwide search ensued for McLean's husband, who was arrested four days later at a motel in the Texas Panhandle, where he had fled with his stepson.

Seventeen-year-old Tobias McLean, who had walked to a nearby diner while Billy Jo McLean slept, learned from Facebook about the deaths of his mother and sister and the manhunt for his stepfather and asked diner employees to call 911.

http://www.wral.com/sanford-man-gets...hter/16832433/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information