Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Timothy Madden Sentenced to LWOP in 2015 KY Murder of 7-Year-Old Gabriella Doolin

Opinion:

Justice for Gabbi taking too long

Bowling Green Daily News

What happened to Gabriella “Gabbi” Doolin in 2015 was and continues to be a horrible tragedy.

For nearly three years, the Doolin family has waited for justice for Gabbi. Losing a child is something no parent should ever have to endure, especially one as young as Gabbi, who was 7 years old at the time of her death.

Her body was found Nov. 14, 2015, in a wooded area near Allen County-Scottsville High School, where her older brother was playing in a sporting event.

Timothy Madden, 41, is charged with murder, kidnapping, first-degree rape and first-degree sodomy in Gabbi’s death.

Since her death, Madden has had every right afforded to him under the law. The trial was postponed twice previously – once to allow Madden’s then-attorney, Travis Lock, additional time to prepare his defense, and another time after Allen County Circuit Judge Janet Crocker disqualified Lock from the case and appointed Tom Griffiths of the state Department of Public Advocacy to represent Madden, who was found indigent.

Madden has even had his trial moved to Hardin County due to the pretrial publicity surrounding the case. That is Madden’s right as he is presumed innocent until proven guilty.

We take extreme issue with the fact that it has been nearly three years since Gabbi was taken from her family and friends and we now learn that their family will have to wait for almost another year to seek to get justice for their beloved Gabbi.

A Sept. 4 date for the trial, which is expected to take two weeks, has been set and Allen County Commonwealth’s Attorney Clint Willis is seeking the death penalty. Madden deserves and is entitled to his day in court in a timely manner.

Waiting nearly four years for justice and to begin seeking some degree of closure if Madden is found guilty seems, to us, far too long for a family to wait.

Willis hit the nail on the head when he said Gabbi’s family is ready to have a trial date firmly set after two postponements.

“I’ve been ready for 21/2 years, we could do it (any time) from January to December. The family would prefer (a trial) sooner rather than later. Their perspective is do not move (the date), if we’re going to pick a date, put it in stone,” Willis said last week.

We don’t believe the Doolin family or the prosecution is asking too much to have this trial as soon as possible. Gabbi Doolin was deprived of so many things in her short life. She’ll never be able to obtain a driver’s license, graduate high school and college or have her father walk her down the aisle on her wedding day. She was cheated out of that, sadly, which is all the more reason why this trial should not be taking this long to be held.

It really is a sad day when a family still in deep grief has to wait so long for a trial date to try to get the justice they deserve and so pray for.

https://www.bgdailynews.com/opinion/...eb0935a58.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

New Attorney to Prosecute Madden Death Penalty Case

By Lisa Autry
    WKU Public Radio

This week’s election has produced a shakeup in a capital murder case in south central Kentucky.

Nearly three years after a young Allen County girl was brutally murdered, a new prosecutor is joining the case.

Clint Willis, the commonwealth’s attorney for Allen and Simpson counties, was defeated in Tuesday’s election by Franklin lawyer Corey Morgan.

Willis built the case against Timothy Madden after he was charged in the November 14, 2015 death of seven-year-old Gabbi Doolin.

Morgan has past experience as the assistant county attorney in Barren County. He currently specializes in criminal defense and says that could be advantageous in prosecuting the Madden case.

"I think that will help me a lot, not just this case, but all all my cases because I have, in fact, defended a lot of cases in the past that are high profile," Morgan told WKU Public Radio.

However, this is Morgan’s first death penalty case.

The Madden case has faced multiple delays in going to trial over the past three years, but Morgan says he has every intention to get the case before a jury next fall. The trial is currently is set for September 4, 2019.

A call placed to Willis was not returned. Morgan will be sworn into office on December 31.

http://www.wkyufm.org/post/new-attor...-case#stream/0
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    New prosecutor has first hearing in Madden murder case

BY JUSTIN STORY
    The Bowling Green Daily News

SCOTTSVILLE — A new team of prosecutors is involved in Timothy Madden's death penalty case, which remains on track to go to trial in September.

Corey Morgan, the Commonwealth's Attorney for Allen and Simpson counties, took office this week, assuming control of a criminal case on the minds of many voters who helped him defeat his predecessor, Clint Willis, in the November election last year.

Morgan and his new assistant prosecutor, Justin Crocker, appeared Friday in Allen Circuit Court for a pretrial conference in Madden's case.

Madden is charged with murder, kidnapping, first-degree rape and first-degree sodomy in connection with the death of 7-year-old Gabriella "Gabbi" Doolin, whose body was found Nov. 14, 2015 in a wooded area near Allen County-Scottsville High School.

He faces the death penalty if convicted as charged.

Friday's hearing produced little in the way of new developments beyond Allen Circuit Judge Janet Crocker maintaining that the trial will begin as scheduled on Sept. 4 in Hardin County.

"Sitting here today, I don't see any reason why the case should be delayed any further," Crocker said during the hearing. "The trial has been continued twice and, barring any extraordinary circumstances, it will not be continued again."

With Morgan taking office, both the original prosecutor and defense team in Madden's case no longer have any involvement.

Madden is represented by a court-appointed capital defense team led by attorney Tom Griffiths of the Department of Public Advocacy, who replaced Travis Lock, a Bowling Green attorney who was ordered off the case last year by Crocker after Madden was found to be indigent and unable to afford private representation.

Morgan said after the hearing that much of his work in preparing the case between now and September will involve responding to defense motions.

"Any time there's a case of this magnitude, there's a lot of material to catch up on," Morgan said. "Shortly after the election, I was able to look at the file and get up to speed somewhat."

Though he was a criminal defense attorney immediately prior to winning his election, Morgan has earlier experience prosecuting cases in the Simpson County Attorney's Office.

This is the first death penalty case in which Morgan has been involved.

Shortly after he defeated Willis in the election, Morgan said many voters in Allen County spoke to him about the delayed trial dates in the Madden case.

On Friday, Morgan said he is getting to know the Doolin family as they wait for a resolution, saying after the hearing that they are "good people."

"I've had opportunities to speak with them and I know they've had some frustrations and I think they understand that we're doing everything we can and they expect things to go smoothly," Morgan said of the Doolins.

Three motions Lock made during his involvement with the case, including one to strike the death penalty as unconstitutional, remain pending.

Griffiths said he would likely file supplements to those motions in the near future.

Crocker set a March 15 deadline for the filing of any motions in the case.

"There may be additional motions that come up as situations change, but I will try to have as many, and perhaps the lion's share, of those motions done by that date as we can," Griffiths said in court.

A pretrial conference was set for May 3, but monthly status conferences in the case are anticipated until the trial begins.

https://www.bgdailynews.com/news/new...af845752d.html
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

Judge in Madden case allows defense to test evidence for DNA

By Justin Story
    Bowling Green Daily News

SCOTTSVILLE — Timothy Madden's defense team will be allowed to access items of evidence in order to conduct forensic testing, a judge ruled Wednesday.

Madden, 42, of Scottsville, is charged with murder, first-degree rape, first-degree sodomy and kidnapping in connection with the death of 7-year-old Gabriella "Gabbi" Doolin, whose body was found Nov. 14, 2015, in a wooded area near Allen County-Scottsville High School.

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for Madden, whose case goes to trial in September.

A teleconference was held Wednesday in Allen Circuit Court to hear a motion from Madden's attorney, Tom Griffiths of the Department of Public Advocacy, in which he requested the release of unspecified evidence for DNA testing.

Madden's defense team has retained an independent lab based in California to conduct DNA testing and serve as an expert defense witness, court records show.

Griffiths said Wednesday that some of the items he is seeking to have tested have not been previously sent by the Kentucky State Police to its state crime lab for forensic testing, while others have been tested.

Allen Circuit Judge Janet Crocker granted Griffiths' motion over the objection of Allen County Commonwealth's Attorney Corey Morgan, who voiced concerns that the testing would not be completed in time for the trial, set to begin Sept. 4 in Hardin County.

"I would want to make sure that the trial does not get continued," Morgan said in court. "This could have been done at an earlier date."

Griffiths said he secured the services of the Serological Research Institute to conduct the testing based on assurances that it could complete the work ahead of the trial.

"I'm told by the lab they will have everything done and everything returned to us before the start of the trial," Griffiths said.

Griffiths' motion, filed Monday, argued that Madden's due process rights entailed having an independent lab test the evidence.

Results of forensic testing on items sent to the KSP crime lab on behalf of the prosecution have been made available to Madden's defense team, according to court records.

Griffiths noted in his motion that the DNA testing comprises "the key evidence for the prosecution in the case."

"Since there is no eyewitness evidence or statements that connect the defendant to the scene, in effect the DNA evidence is the prosecution's only link between the defendant and the crime," Griffiths said in his motion. "There are questions raised by the results of the prosecution's testing, the biggest among them were the unprecedented speed of the results, the possible clash between the serological results and the DNA testing and the multiple samples taken from the defendant."

Griffiths also noted that Madden's previous attorney, Travis Lock, did not have the evidence tested.

Before being removed from the case, Lock had sought state funding to help mount Madden's defense and retain experts.

Crocker last year ruled Lock could not as a private attorney access state funds for a client who could no longer afford private counsel and ordered Lock off the case.

"Without this (testing) done the question will always linger about the veracity of the testing done in the case (by the state)," Griffiths said in his motion. "Until those doubts are banished the defense will be unable to pursue a fair trial."

https://www.bgdailynews.com/news/jud...c8734564d.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

New developments made in Gabbi Doolin case as trial approaches

Re-testing Of DNA Evidence In Doolin Case

By Nick Beres
    NewsChannel5.com

SCOTTSVILLE, Ky. (WTVF) — With the trial of Timothy Madden quickly approaching, a set of new lawyers have brought more questions about critical DNA evidence could in the rape and murder of Gabbi Doolin.

The 7-year-old was killed nearly four years ago, but now, just months before the prime suspect, Timothy Madden, goes to trial, a heated battle is brewing over evidence.

Gabbi disappeared during a football game at Scottsville High School in Kentucky in 2015. Her body was found just 30 minutes later in a nearby creek.

Police arrested Madden who immediately proclaimed his innocence.

"If they find the right person ... I will come out and will sue everybody who slandered my name and put me where I am today," said Madden from his jail cell in 2015.

He's been locked up since the arrest, held without bond now for more than three years.

So, why no trial yet? For one, all the lawyers have changed.

"This case, we have a new prosecutor who took over in 2019," said legal analyst Nick Leonardo.

Plus, Madden was just assigned a new public defender. Leonardo says the attorneys are pretty much starting from scratch.

"Getting up to speed on a capital case like this is going to take quite some time."

Madden's lawyer is already asking to re-test DNA evidence, which was granted by the judge.

"In a death penalty case, they want to make sure they afford the criminally accused all the due process they possibly can," said Leonardo.

After his arrest, Madden said he did cooperate with police.

"I gave them my clothes that night," he said in the 2015 jailhouse interview.

And prosecutors said DNA from Madden's pants linked him to the crime. But how much of a link?

"Is it a 60 percent match or a 98 percent match," asked Leonardo.

With no apparent witnesses, he said the DNA blood evidence will be crucial for arguments on both sides of the case.

It's likely the legal battle over testing will rage right up until the trial, which for now, is scheduled to begin September 4 of this year.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/ne...ial-approaches

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Allen Circuit Judge Denies Motion to Exclude Death Penalty in Madden Case

By Lisa Autry
    WKU Public Radio

A judge has denied a motion to exclude the death penalty against the man accused in the brutal death of a young Allen County girl.

Timothy Madden returned to Allen Circuit Court on Friday for a pre-trial hearing. Madden is charged with kidnapping, raping, and murdering seven-year-old Gabbi Doolin in 2015.

Allen Circuit Judge Janet Crocker ruled that Madden would remain eligible for a death sentence if he is convicted. Doolin’s cousin Lori Wilson said the family feels that if there’s ever been a case that warranted the death penalty, it’s this one.

“It’s just taken so long, so they’re trying to be patient," Wilson tolds reporters. "Just getting some closure on that part is a definitely a good step in the next direction."

Madden is charged with kidnapping Gabbi Doolin at football game in Scottsville on Nov. 14, 2015. Her body was found that evening in a creek behind the local high school. Investigators determined she had been strangled and drowned.

Judge Crocker denied several other defense motions, including a request to confiscate the cell phones of jurors. Madden’s public defender Tom Griffiths argued that while jurors will be admonished to not research the case during the trial, it happens all the time.

“It’s been my experience, and frankly everybody that tries serious cases, that jurors just can’t help themselves, they just can’t," Griffiths stated.

Griffiths referenced the the case of drug kingpin El Chapo and said a motion for a new trial is pending after a juror admitted to doing independent research on the case.

Comonwealth’s Attorney Corey Morgan said the defense request is impractical to enforce for the duration of the trial.

“You’d have to take their phones that entire time when they’ll be going home and having access to computers and ipads and other things of that nature," explained Morgan.

"This jury will be making decisions that ultimately may determine whether this man lives or dies," remarked Crocker. “If jurors can’t be trusted with cell phones, how can we trust them with such a weighty decision?"

Due to pre-trial publicity, the capital case will be tried in Hardin County starting Sept. 4. Jury selection is expected to take a week to ten days.

https://www.wkyufm.org/post/allen-ci...-case#stream/0

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Timothy Madden's case moves toward trial date

By WBKO News Staff

SCOTTSVILLE, KY. (WBKO) - The case against Timothy Madden, the man accused of murdering seven-year-old Gabbi Doolin, is moving toward a trial date.

Friday morning Judge Janet Crocker held a status conference in the case of Madden. Though defense and prosecution were not physically present in the courtroom, the purpose of Friday's meeting was to ensure everything is on track for Madden’s trial.

During Friday’s phone conference Judge Crocker approved a motion filed by the defense for an inspection of the evidence against Madden, stating defense must have the inspection done within the next 30 days.

Because of several moving parts in the case, Judge Crocker finalized the timeline of events before heading into the trial, which is scheduled to begin September 4th in Hardin County.

July 24th, defense and prosecution are scheduled for a pretrial conference, where there could potentially be a personal appearance by Madden.

August 5th, jury orientation is scheduled in Hardin County to find those who will serve on the jury during Madden’s trial.

Judge Crocker set a final pretrial conference for August 9th where defense and prosecution can address any issues before heading into trial.

https://www.wbko.com/content/news/Ti...510971432.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Defense requests to view and photograph evidence in Madden case

By Glasgow Daily Times Staff Report

Attorneys for the defense and prosecution held a telephonic status hearing last week with Allen Circuit Court Judge Janet Crocker regarding the Timothy Madden case.

Madden is accused in the death of 7-year-old Gabbi Doolin.

Doolin's body was found in a creek soon after she disappeared from a youth football game at Allen County-Scottsville High School in November 2015.

Due to the amount of publicity the case has received, Madden's trial will take place in Hardin County in September rather than in Allen County.

During the telephonic status hearing, Crocker sent a scheduled transfer of the court file to Hardin County and scheduled a pretrial conference in the case for early August in Hardin County.

The judge also addressed a motion filed by the defense, which asked to view and photograph evidence being held at the Kentucky State Police's Bowling Green post.

“We did not object to the photographing of the evidence as long as a representative of the commonwealth was present with the evidence custodian and the KSP detective,” said J. Corey Morgan, commonwealth's attorney for Allen and Simpson counties, in a text message to the Glasgow Daily Times.

https://www.glasgowdailytimes.com/ne...baa3a4f30.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Madden to undergo psychiatric evaluation, hearing dates changed

By Kinslow
    Glasgow Daily Times

SCOTTSVILLE — The intended purpose of a telephonic hearing in Allen Circuit Court on Tuesday was to discuss procedural issues and scheduling matters regarding a mental health evaluation that defendant Timothy Madden was to have undergone at the Kentucky Correctional Psychiatric Center at LaGrange.

Madden is accused in the death of 7-year-old Gabbi Doolin.

Doolin's body was found in a creek soon after she disappeared from a youth football game at Allen County-Scottsville High School in November 2015.

Present for the hearing on Tuesday was Allen Circuit Court Judge Janet Crocker and J. Corey Morgan, commonwealth's attorney for Allen and Simpson counties. On the phone was Madden's attorney, Tom Griffiths with the Kentucky Department of Public Advocacy's Capital Trial's Division.

Madden is being evaluated at KCPC because he alleged a mental capacity defense. Madden has already been found competent to stand trial.

Crocker had previously spoken with Timothy Allen, who was assigned to conduct Madden's mental health evaluation. Crocker explained during the hearing on Tuesday that Allen told her the evaluation would have been completed had it not been for the defense's mental health expert not being available until early August.

The defense's mental health expert can be present for the evaluation, but cannot take part in any way.

Crocker explained she has urged Allen to proceed with Madden's mental health evaluation.

“I want this evaluation completed on Aug. 1,” she said. “If your expert can be there, fine, … but this evaluation has got to be completed and completed on time.”

The judge continued that the court can't move forward to a pretrial conference in the case at this point without the results of the mental health evaluation.

Madden was transported from Christian County, where he is incarcerated, to KCPC on July 1. Griffiths said he and others believed Madden would have been transported to KCPC earlier.

Griffiths also pointed out that Allen is only at KCPC one day a week. He continued that the mental health expert will be present for the mental health evaluation on Aug. 1 even though he is supposed to be at another hearing.

“I understand the court's frustration,” Griffiths said, adding that he, too, is frustrated. “We do object to the evaluation occurring without the defense's expert being present.”

Morgan had no objection for the mental health evaluation occurring on Aug. 1.

“What the court has ordered with respect to Aug. 1 is very reasonable,” he said.

Crocker overruled Griffiths' objection due to where the case is in regard to the start of the trial.

The trial is scheduled to begin on Sept. 4 and has been moved to Hardin County due to the amount of publicity the case has received. Moving the trial to another county will increase the chances of Madden receiving a fair trial.

As part of the mental health evaluation, Madden will be transferred from KCPC to the University of Louisville on July 31 where he will undergo an MRI on Aug. 1.

Originally, a pretrial conference was scheduled to take place in the case in Hardin County on Aug. 9. That hearing has now been cancelled and rescheduled for Aug. 7 in Allen County.

Jury panel orientation is scheduled to take place in Hardin County on Aug. 5. Crocker plans to obtain a list of juror questions and excuses for not serving on the jury by Aug. 7.

Another pretrial conference was scheduled on Tuesday for Aug. 24 in Allen County to hear any objections to jurors who have been excused and to take up any other matters.

A final pretrial conference will take place on Aug. 30 in Hardin County. It is during this hearing the court will walk through the logistics of the trial and discuss how to examine jurors on individual voir dire.

Griffiths asked for Madden to be moved closer to Hardin County prior to the start of the trial.

“It's difficult to prepare for trial as far away as he is,” Griffiths said.

Morgan said he had no objection to that occurring.

Crocker then said she would speak with the jailer about relocating Madden. She explained Madden had initially been moved from the jail in Allen County for security reasons. He is not scheduled to be moved to Hardin County until after Aug. 24.

https://www.glasgowdailytimes.com/ne...7e87e6cee.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Timothy Madden Capital Case Inches Closer to Trial

By Lisa Autry
    WKU Public Radio

The Allen County man charged in the murder of a seven-year-old girl nearly four years ago is now less than a month away from going on trial.

Timothy Madden was in court on Wednesday for a pre-trial hearing.

After multiple delays, the case is on schedule to go to trial on September 4.

If convicted, Madden could get the death penalty for the kidnapping, rape, sodomy, and murder of Gabbi Doolin in 2015.

Due to publicity, the case will be tried in Elizabethtown. Allen Circuit Judge Janet Crocker said 146 Hardin County residents will be questioned and evaluated in the process of seating a jury. Commonwealth’s Attorney Corey Morgan says he’s confident a fair jury can be impaneled.

"Whenever there's jury selection, normally you talk to jurors as a group, "Morgan explained. "However, in a death penalty case, it's individual. That means you have to take each person into the chambers with the judge and opposing counsel and talk about the death penalty to see their views on it, and that takes time."

Despite Elizabethtown being in a different media market, Madden’s public defender Tom Griffiths says he still has concerns about seating an impartial jury.

"Television doesn't hit a wall and people report each other's stories," said Griffiths. "Once something is in the Courier-Journal, it gets picked up by everybody in the state, and frankly, vice versa."

Jury selection is expected to take at least a week, and the trial, as long as a month.

Both sides told Judge Crocker they will be ready for the trial to begin in just over three weeks, although the defense is still waiting on two reports, including a psychiatric evaluation and independent DNA testing.

Hardin Circuit Court Judge Kelley Mark Easton will preside over jury selection while Judge Crocker will oversee the trial.

Timothy Madden returns to court on August 24 for a rare Saturday hearing, which will be his last in Scottsville before the case is transferred to Hardin County.

https://www.wkyufm.org/post/timothy-...trial#stream/0

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information