Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pascasio Yanel Pacheco-Arellano Gets LWOP in 2015 KY Quadruple Murder

Senior Member Frequent Poster schmutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by one_two_bomb View Post
    Man they really do save the DP for the worst of the worst eh? Oh wait...
    It got a guilty plea that might not have come about without the arm-twisting the threat of death can provide. I consider that a win.

Senior Member CnCP Addict one_two_bomb's Avatar
    Well then they need to clarify that the death penalty isn't for the "worst of the worst" but rather, a handful of unlucky murderers. The "worst of the worst" get plea deals for lesser sentences on a routine basis.

Senior Member Frequent Poster NanduDas's Avatar
    Agree with OTB, there was no good reason for prosecutors to let this guy plead out.
    "The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer." -Theodore Roosevelt

He wasn't going to get executed so it doesn't even matter.

Quote Originally Posted by NanduDas View Post
    Agree with OTB, there was no good reason for prosecutors to let this guy plead out.
    Besides the sparing of lots of billable hours at trial and for the appeals, it frees up time for the next cases in line to be disposed. Also, being a college town (Murray State), getting a death sentence was no slam-dunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    He wasn't going to get executed so it doesn't even matter.
    Oh I know, i was using this as an example to show a handful of things:

1) The death penalty is not in any way, shape or form reserved for the "worst of the worst" but rather an unlucky few
    2) The death penalty in Kentucky (and the rest of the USA) is a joke
    3) If states aren't going to execute anyone then they should not have a death penalty
    4) Pros that continue to support "sentencing phases" and the current death penalty statutes are the reason this keeps happening. Mandatory death sentences are the only way to go.

That being said, prosecutors should be using all resources available to make sure that all murderers receive the maximum sentence possible, whatever that may be.

SCOTUS explicitly rejected mandatory death sentences when capital punishment was reinstated in Gregg. Never mind that all states had rejected a mandatory sentence by 1963 - a trend that had started in the 19th century.

Senior Member Frequent Poster NanduDas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by schmutz View Post
    Besides the sparing of lots of billable hours at trial and for the appeals, it frees up time for the next cases in line to be disposed. Also, being a college town (Murray State), getting a death sentence was no slam-dunk.
    I understand that there are financial and time benefits to be had with plea deals. In fact, there are plenary of capital murder pleas I’ve read about here that did not bother me. However, I believe there are some cases in which a prosecutor is obligated by duty to seek the ultimate punishment all the way to trial. I’m not going to get into where I draw the exact line, but murdering a family of four, including two children, definitely fits. Perhaps the college town jury would have been unusually lenient, but I would expect a prosecutor to try to secure death in a case like this.
    "The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer." -Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by schmutz View Post
    SCOTUS explicitly rejected mandatory death sentences when capital punishment was reinstated in Gregg. Never mind that all states had rejected a mandatory sentence by 1963 - a trend that had started in the 19th century.
    Funny, whenever anyone here argues against mandatory death sentences, the only argument they have is "well gregg/furman blah blah blah". Well no crap that's why we can't have mandatory death sentences, but by that logic you should support atkins, Simmons, moore, ring, etc. This is the reason why we have crap like this, and the death penalty is in its last days. If we are afraid of mandatory death sentences why even have it? How do you justify a system that allows people like this to plea to a lesser sentences and say the death penalty is fair? Not just this case specifically, but all the mass murderers who have escaped death recently in Florida, Georgia, Texas, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by NanduDas View Post
    I understand that there are financial and time benefits to be had with plea deals. In fact, there are plenary of capital murder pleas I’ve read about here that did not bother me. However, I believe there are some cases in which a prosecutor is obligated by duty to seek the ultimate punishment all the way to trial. I’m not going to get into where I draw the exact line, but murdering a family of four, including two children, definitely fits. Perhaps the college town jury would have been unusually lenient, but I would expect a prosecutor to try to secure death in a case like this.
    Reading between the lines, I suspect that the survivors of the victims were going to ask that the perp be spared when it came to the penalty phase.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information