Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Johnathan Ishmael Alcegaire - Florida Death Row

Alcegaire entered Florida's death row on 3/13/19.

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/OffenderSe...rowroster.aspx
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Conviction and death sentence affirmed on direct appeal.

https://law.justia.com/cases/florida.../sc19-428.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Florida Supreme Court affirms death penalty for Jonathan Alcegaire in 2016 Lakeland triple-murder

The Florida Supreme Court last week affirmed the conviction and death penalty for Jonathan Ishmael Alcegaire, 32 of Miami, who is on death row for his role in the murders of 3 Lakeland residents in a January 2016 drug-related home invasion.

Alcegaire was convicted in September 2018 for the execution-style slayings of David Washington, 24, Stacy Branch, 31, and Angelica Castro, 23. Felix Campos was also shot during the home invasion and later testified as a witness in Alcegaire’s trial.

Alcegaire drove to Lakeland with Jamaal John Smith, 30, and another man in the early morning hours of Jan. 6, 2016, and charged into Washington’s home demanding money. Prosecutors said Washington was buying drugs from the men and had just gotten back from a Miami trip that morning.

Jamaal John Smith was sentenced to mandatory life imprisonment

Smith is accused of being the gunman, and prosecutors were seeking the death penalty for his role in the killings. But in February 2020, jurors failed to reach a unanimous decision to recommend a death sentence. Smith was sentenced to mandatory life imprisonment.

During his trial, Alcegaire’s defense lawyers argued that he had come along on the ride from Miami only to visit friends in Lakeland.

In September 2018, the 8 women and 3 men on the jury deliberated nearly 6 hours over 2 days before finding him guilty on the 3 1st-degree murder charges and the other related charges. The next day, the same jury deliberated 90 minutes before unanimously recommending death.

On March 8, 2019, Circuit Judge Jalal Harb ruled that Alcegaire would go to Florida’s death row.

Alcegaire, who refused to offer a defense in his death penalty phase, spoke up at the sentencing.

“I have been wrongfully convicted, so all of you that want my life are wrong,” Alcegaire said. “To the prosecution: Y’all the killers. You all are the ones guilty of murder, and perjury, and robbery, and home wrecking. To the families of the departed: You all were here the whole trial and know the state did not prove the case against me, but your hunger for vengeance blinded you to all the facts.”

Last week, the Supreme Court said Alcegaire’s convictions are supported by competent and substantial evidence.

(source: The Ledger)
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

On September 21, 2021, Alcegaire filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/fl...cv00944/394147

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Distributed for conference April 29, 2022.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/21-7224.html

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court DENIED Alcegaire's petition for certiorari.

Lower Ct: Supreme Court of Florida
    Case Numbers: (SC19-428)
    Decision Date: September 9, 2021
    Rehearing Denied: October 27, 2021

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/...22zor_3f14.pdf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information