Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pablo Antonio Serrano-Vitorino Facing Death Penalty in 2016 MO Slaying of Randy Nordman Found Dead in his Cell

Pablo Antonio Serrano-Vitorino Facing Death Penalty in 2016 MO Slaying of Randy Nordman Found Dead in his Cell

Pablo Antonio Serrano-Vitorino and victims
    Randy Nordman, Michael Capps, Clint E. Harter, Austin L. Harter and Jeremy D. Waters

Massive manhunt underway for man suspected in 5 fatal shootings

CBS News

KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- Dozens of officers searched farmland in central Missouri on Tuesday for a man suspected of killing a man at a nearby house just hours after fatally shooting four people at his neighbor's home about 170 miles away in Kansas.

Two helicopters, police dogs and at least one SWAT team were helping look for Pablo Antonio Serrano-Vitorino near New Florence, said Capt. John Hotz, a Missouri State Highway Patrol spokesman. The patrol said he was considered dangerous and may be armed with an AK-47.

According to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, they previously deported Serrano-Vitorinio: "an illegal alien from Mexico, in April 2004 ... Mr. Serrano-Vitorino illegally re-entered the United States on an unknown date," CBS affiliate KCTV reported.

Several schools in the area were placed on lockdown, with officers stationed at the buildings.

Serrano-Vitorino, of Kansas City, Kansas, was charged with four counts of first-degree murder late Tuesday afternoon in the Kansas killings, Wyandotte County District Attorney Jerome Gorman said. Gorman's office listed
    Serrano-Vitorino's age as 40, while police said he was 36.

The search for him began late Monday when four men were shot at the home in Kansas City, Kansas. One of the men managed to call police before he died, but it's unclear how the men knew each other or what may have prompted the shooting, Kansas City police officer Thomas Tomasic said.

"They located a party in the yard with a gunshot wound and another party on the front porch. Then, upon further investigation, they located two subjects in the house that were deceased from apparent gunshot wounds," KCK Officer Cameron Morgan said, reports KCTV.

Police have confirmed the identities of three of the four victims as brothers Austin and Clint Harter and Michael Capps, KCTV reports.

"We've spoken to all the neighbors back there, and they're all kind of related. They had some information, for us, but they all pretty much heard and saw the same things," Morgan said.

Residents are on edge.

"Everybody's on edge. We're praying the guy's caught in the daylight, 'cause if not, it's gonna be twice as bad at night," one resident told KCTV.

"There have been cops everywhere, flying above, holding rifles," another resident shared.

As he watched the investigation, resident Rick Bethel was worried the murder involved his family.

"My cousin lives west about 200 yards where the guy Randy got killed. I thought it might have been my cousin, but it was Randy," Bethel said.

The manhunt shifted Tuesday, when a truck Serrano-Vitorino was believed to be driving was found about 7 a.m. abandoned along Interstate 70 in central Missouri, about 80 miles west of St. Louis.

About 25 minutes later, sheriff's deputies responded to a shooting about 5 miles away at a Montgomery County home along an I-70 outer road and found the body of 49-year-old occupant Randy J. Nordman, according to the patrol. Highway Patrol Lt. Paul Reinsch said a witness who called 911 reported seeing a man running from Nordman's property, launching a manhunt of that area.

Reinsch said investigators weren't aware of any connection between Serrano-Vitorino and Nordman, whose home is near his family's campground and a racetrack for remote-controlled cars.

A neighbor of Nordman's, Genevieve Kelly, said she didn't know anything had happened until she saw helicopters circling overhead. She said she didn't know Nordman well, but that she would occasionally help him with sewing.

The owner of the Kansas City home where the four men were shot said he received a call from a tenant at a neighboring house Monday night about a person lying on the porch as if he were dead. Steve Manthe said that when he was allowed into the rental home after 6 a.m. Tuesday, he saw blood on the living room couch and throughout that room, and the television still on.

"It looked like he just stepped in the door and blew them away," said Manthe, 61, who is retired from the Army.

Manthe's family spent part of Tuesday morning scrubbing blood off the front porch with bleach. Manthe, who has lived in the neighborhood for 25 years, said he wasn't aware of any tension between the victims and neighbors.

Neighbors who live near the small, yellow one-story home where those men were shot described the area as quiet. They said they hadn't heard gunshots the night before.

Al VanBebber, a 54-year-old mechanic who lives a few blocks away, said he knew at least one of the home's residents and described him as a "nice guy" whom he helped with car repairs and upgrades.

"It's sick," VanBebber said. "I don't know how anybody could do that, with people as nice as could be."

Audrey Ragan said one of the men who died lived across the street from her mother and always went out of his way to help neighbors. She said the man was married with a 2-year-old daughter.

"I thought, 'My God, who could do something like this? I'm just in shock," Ragan said of the shootings. "He's going to be truly, truly missed."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/massive-...nsas-missouri/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

UPDATE: Suspect in KCK quadruple homicide, Serrano-Vitorino, charged in Montgomery Co.

KCK victims ID'd by police

By 41 Action News Staff, Ariel Rothfield, Andres Gutierrez, Andy Alcock, Dia Wall, Associated Press
    KSHB News

A man suspected of fatally shooting four people at his neighbor's home in Kansas City, Kansas before killing another man about 170 miles away in a rural Missouri house was taken into custody early Wednesday morning after an extensive manhunt, the Missouri Highway Patrol said.

Pablo Antonio Serrano-Vitorino, a Mexican national who authorities said was in the country illegally, is accused of fatally shooting 36-year-old Jeremy D. Waters of Miami County, 41-year-old Michael L. Capps, 27-year-old Clint E. Harter and 29-year-old Austin L. Harter – all three from KCK.

He was also wanted in connection with the shooting death of 49-year-old Randy Nordman in Montgomery County.

The manhunt for Serrano-Vitorino included helicopters, police dogs and at least one SWAT team began late Monday after the first shooting. One of the four men managed to call police before he died, but it's unclear how the men knew each other or what may have prompted the shooting, Kansas City police officer Thomas Tomasic said.

The manhunt shifted Tuesday, when a truck Serrano-Vitorino was believed to be driving was found about 7 a.m. abandoned along Interstate 70 in central Missouri, about 80 miles west of St. Louis.

About 25 minutes later, sheriff's deputies responded to a shooting about five miles away at a Montgomery County home and found the body of 49-year-old Nordman, according to the patrol.

Highway Patrol Lt. Paul Reinsch said a witness who called 911 reported seeing a man running from Nordman's property, launching a manhunt of that area.

The patrol said Tuesday that Serrano-Vitorino was considered dangerous and may be armed with an AK-47.

Reinsch said investigators weren't aware of any connection between Serrano-Vitorino and Nordman, whose home is near his family's campground and a racetrack for remote-controlled cars.

Serrano-Vitorino was charged with four counts of first-degree murder in their killings, Wyandotte County District Attorney Jerome Gorman said.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said in a statement Tuesday night that Serrano-Vitorino, of Mexico, had been deported from the U.S. in April 2004 and illegally re-entered "on an unknown date." ICE said it would place a detainer on Serrano-Vitorino if he is taken into custody.

Charges against Pablo Antonio Serrano-Vitorino

Wyandotte County District Attorney Jerome A. Gorman has charged Serrano-Vitorino, 40, with four counts of first-degree murder.

On Wednesday afternoon, Serrano-Vitorino was also charged with first degree murder, armed criminal action and burglary in Montgomery County. If guilty, he could face the death penalty.

A preliminary hearing is set for April 28 at 1:30 p.m. Serrano has requested and was approved for a public defender.

No bond was was set for Serrano in Montgomery County.

Instead of a wedding anniversary, victim's widow plans a funeral

Kansas City, Kansas police said on Monday night, police responded to a shooting in the 3000 block of South 36th Street. When officers arrived they found three men dead from apparent gunshot wounds. A fourth victim was transported to an area hospital where he later died from gunshot wounds.

A neighbor told 41 Action News that Serrano-Vitorino lived next door to the home where the four victims were found.

It’s unclear what may have led to the murders.

Family members told 41 Action News two of the victims in the homicide are Clint Harter and Austin Harter.

Harter’s wife, Ruth, says they were two weeks away from their eighth wedding anniversary.

But instead planning for a celebration, she is planning for a funeral.

Ruth received a call at work that something was wrong.By the time she rushed home, police confirmed her worst fear. She had spoken with Clint just a few hours before his death.

‘I said ‘hey what are you doing?’ He kept telling me stuff and all of a sudden it was ‘just babe, babe, babe,” Harter said.

The four deaths left many in disbelief, including Audrey Ragan. She takes care of her mom, who lives across the street from the Harters.

“My legs went numb I couldn't believe it,” Ragan said.

She says Clint loved to fix classic cars.

“He would get [them] out occasionally and drive, “ Ragan said. “He was pretty proud of them.”

But above all he devoted his heart to his daughter, Zoivanii, with another child on the way.

“I will keep his memory alive my girls will know how much he loved them,” Ruth Harter said.

Besides a funeral, the family is planning a candle vigil later in the week at the site where the shooting happened.

A vigil for the victims was held at 7 p.m. Tuesday. Another vigil will be held Wednesday at 6 p.m.

Department of Homeland Security confirms, Pablo Serrano-Vitorino is an undocumented immigrant from Mexico

According to the Department of Homeland Security, the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) previously deported Serrano-Vitorino, an undocumented immigrant from Mexico, in April 2004.

He illegally returned to the U.S. on an unknown date.

ICE released the following statement:

"Mr. Serrano-Vitorino was fingerprinted Sept. 14, 2015 at the Overland Park Municipal Court, which generated the issuance of an ICE detainer. Further records checks indicate that ICE erroneously issued the detainer to the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office, instead of to the Overland Park Municipal Court."

Despite the ICE detainer and his criminal history, he was “subsequently released from local custody without ICE being notified,” the Department of Homeland Security said.

The Johnson County Sheriff’s Office is also looking into the case.

“ICE continues to monitor the case and will place another detainer on Serrano-Vitorino if he is again taken into local custody,” according to a statement from the department.

The Wyandotte County Sheriff’s Office confirmed to 41 Action News he was arrested in June 2015 for alleged domestic violence. He was released on his own recognizance.

http://www.kshb.com/news/crime/four-...e-monday-night
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

AG: Man accused of killing 5 to be tried 1st in Missouri

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - Missouri's attorney general says a Mexican national accused of killing one man in that state and four others in Kansas will be prosecuted first in Missouri.

Attorney General Chris Koster said Thursday that his office has been asked by Montgomery County's district attorney to assist in Pablo Antonio Serrano-Vitorino's prosecution on a first-degree murder count related to the killing Tuesday of 49-year-old Randy Nordman.

Serrano-Vitorino is also charged with four counts of first-degree murder in the Monday killing of his neighbor and three other men at his neighbor's home in Kansas City, Kansas. A spokesman for that county's prosecutor says he's unaware of any arrangement between the two states involving Serrano-Vitorino's prosecution.

But a Koster spokeswoman, Nanci Gonder, tells The Associated Press that "we intend to keep him in the state of Missouri through the trial."

http://www.ky3.com/news/local/ag-man...48998_38444788

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Man suspected in 5 fatal shootings in Missouri and Kansas hospitalized after cutting his own throat

MONTGOMERY COUNTY, MO (AP) – A Mexican national charged with killing five men in Kansas and Missouri this week is in the hospital following a suspected suicide attempt in jail.

The Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office says Pablo Antonio Serrano-Vitorino was taken off of suicide watch Wednesday afternoon and placed in the general population.

He was discovered with his throat slit from a safety razor in an apparent suicide attempt Thursday morning, the sheriff’s office said. He was taken to the hospital where he remains in stable condition in a location secured by law enforcement.

Serrano-Vitorino, 40, has been charged with killing a neighbor and three other men on Monday night in Kansas City, KS, then gunning down another man Tuesday morning at the man’s rural home in Missouri. He was captured Wednesday morning.

Authorities have not released a motive for the rampage.

Serrano-Vitorino, who was in the U.S. illegally, eluded Immigration and Customs Enforcement, according to the agency. In June 2015, officials from a Wyandotte County where Serrano-Vitorino faced domestic battery charges asked federal immigration officials about him because he was born outside the country, but ICE didn’t respond before the county let him go.

He was deported in April 2004 because he was in the country illegally, but he re-entered at some unknown time, ICE said by email.

Serrano-Vitorino, who has been living in KCK, was fingerprinted Sept. 14 at the Overland Park Municipal Court after being cited for traffic violations. That triggered an ICE order to have him detained. But ICE said it sent the order to the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office instead of to the Overland Park Municipal Court.

Court administrator Robin Barnard said Serrano-Vitorino showed up at the court the next month to pay a $146 fine. He was never in custody of any local authorities for the traffic violations.

ICE said that had its order been sent to an agency that had Serrano-Vitorino in custody, it would have sought to deport him.

Earlier last year, Serrano-Vitorino was booked on a misdemeanor domestic battery charge in KCK. The Wyandotte County Sheriff’s Department sent ICE an overnight query about him, sheriff’s Lt. Kelli Bailiff said Wednesday, but when ICE did not respond within the required six-hour period, Serrano-Vitorino was released.

ICE said the query, which did not involve his fingerprints, required the agency to interview Serrano-Vitorino, something it wasn’t able to do between when the sheriff’s office sent it at 1:30 a.m. and released Serrano-Vitorino at 7:30 a.m.

Serrano-Vitorino is jailed in Montgomery County on $2 million bond related to the Kansas charges.

Serrano-Vitorino has had at least one previous conviction — an unspecified terrorist threat for which he was sentenced to two years in a California prison — that led to his 2004 deportation, according to ICE.

ICE also said Serrano-Vitorino was convicted in 2014 of driving under the influence in Kansas. But ICE records don’t show the agency was notified that Serrano was fingerprinted at that time.

http://www.kttn.com/man-suspected-in...is-own-throat/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Julie and Randy Nordman in a family photo

Missouri woman who hid in attic says fatal attack on husband 'keeps playing in my mind'

By Kim Bell
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

NEW FLORENCE, Mo. • Barefoot and in a bathrobe, Julie Nordman grabbed a portable phone and raced to the attic to hide. She called 911 and whispered about the nightmare playing out in her garage as her husband struggled with an armed intruder Tuesday morning.

The dispatcher tried to keep Nordman calm, but her mind raced.

“I’m praying,” Nordman said. “I’m thinking he’s going to shoot my husband and come up and get me. I’m thinking, ‘Is it going to hurt?’”

She kept praying: Please, Randy, be OK.

”I know he’s a fighter,” Nordman told herself. “He’s going to beat this.”

In a Post-Dispatch interview about Tuesday’s life-or-death struggle, Julie Nordman explained that the attic had no door to shut, no way to lock herself in, and she had no clue what was happening in the garage to her husband. It fell quiet. She tried to escape out an attic window, but it was stuck.

Suddenly, she heard a pop. She looked out the attic window to the east and could see Interstate 70. She saw a police car racing toward her house, then saw it pass her driveway and keep driving. She whispered to the dispatcher that the officer needed to turn around.

From her vantage point, Julie Nordman, 54, then saw the intruder run across her property, jump into a ditch and hide in a culvert.

Minutes later, police found her husband, Randy Nordman, 49, in the kitchen, dead of a gunshot wound. The alleged killer, Pablo Antonio Serrano-Vitorino, was captured early Wednesday after a 17-hour manhunt, hiding in a ditch about 800 feet from the Nordmans’ home.

Police say Serrano-Vitorino, 40, had encountered the Nordman home while fleeing a quadruple murder in Kansas City, Kan. Serrano-Vitorino abandoned his truck along I-70. The Nordman home is just off the highway.

Julie Nordman speculates that Serrano-Vitorino had confronted her husband while trying to steal keys to one of their vehicles.

In an interview Thursday, Julie Nordman mourned her husband as a well-liked man, a workaholic who would arrive home each night from his machinist job to spend hours building a track for radio-control race car enthusiasts on their 32 acres on Tree Farm Road.

He loved Harley motorcycles and would visit a dirt track every Friday night with his father.

She said she plans to continue her husband’s dream of opening the track for RC cars. It’s called Empire of Dirt RC Park & Campground. The scheduled opening day was to be April 9. Friends have established a GoFundMe page in Randy Nordman’s name to help complete that project.

Randy Nordman was stepfather to Julie’s two sons and daughter. Her daughter especially considered Randy her dad, Julie Nordman said.

”I want to make sure everybody knows that he would have done anything for anybody,” Julie Nordman said. “He was a good man, always smiling and happy. He could relate to anybody. He had long hair and he was a biker, but he could talk Farmall tractors all day long with these old dudes around here.”

Randy and Julie Nordman met through a biker dating website and, at their wedding in 2007, rode off on a Harley. His black motorcycle helmet read “Just.” Hers said “Married.”

Fatal struggle for gun

Tuesday morning started off in the typical way. Julie was still asleep at 7 a.m. while Randy started his morning routine before heading to work.

The routine went like this: Out to the yard to feed the barn cats. Feed the dogs. Leave dog treats on the counter. Bag up his lunch. Kiss his wife. Drive off in his truck for his machinist job in Wentzville.

But the routine was interrupted when Julie Nordman heard sounds from a distance.

“I was in bed asleep and I heard dogs barking, I heard a scuffle and Randy say, ‘What are you doing?’”

She grabbed her robe to go investigate, then heard her husband shout, “Julie!”

“I knew he meant business,” she says. “I looked out the window and saw him wrestling with a guy over a gun.”

It was a long gun, a rifle, and Randy and the stranger both had a grip on the barrel. That’s when she retreated to the attic.

Julie Nordman said she believes her husband saved her life that day by alerting her and struggling with the intruder. During the struggle, the magazine dislodged from the rifle Serrano-Vitorino was carrying.

After the murder, police took Julie Nordman to her sister Deanna Dunn’s home in O’Fallon, Mo. On Wednesday night, Julie Nordman, her daughter and Dunn returned to her home in New Florence to spend the night. She didn’t get much sleep. She was jittery, she said, and jumped at the sound of a screen door slamming.

“I’m terrified right now,” she said. “It keeps playing in my mind like a tape. I see the gun. I see my husband wrestling over it. It plays over and over in my mind.”

She and Dunn say they are outraged the more they learn about the background of Serrano-Vitorino. He is a Mexican citizen who was deported from California in 2004 and re-entered the United States illegally some time later. He had three encounters with law enforcement in Kansas and Kansas City but was released each time.

“Our family wants to know why he was allowed to stay in this country,” Dunn said. “Why was this mistake made? Who allowed him to be here?”

Dunn said the mistake has cost five people their lives and shattered the lives of the relatives who are left behind.

Julie Nordman knows the case is bound to play out in the national immigration debate.

She has a slew of questions, too, and police have provided few answers. “How’d he get a gun? Why did he target my husband? Why everything?”

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...f8f1f6b85.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Edited:

Multiple-murder suspect's condition upgraded after jail suicide attempt

St. Louis Post-Dispatch

MONTGOMERY CITY, Mo. - A suspect in five murders, who tried to commit suicide in jail, remained under guard Friday in a hospital, his condition upgraded to good, a sheriff's department spokesman said.

Pablo Antonio Serrano-Vitorino, 40, of Kansas City, Kan., cut himself sometime Thursday morning in jail with a razor, Montgomery County Sheriff Robert Davis confirmed. Serrano-Vitorino was taken to the county jail early Wednesday after his arrest in a manhunt.

On Friday, Maj. Matthew Schoo, the sheriff's chief deputy, said the suspect's condition was upgraded from stable. Schoo declined to discuss the suicide attempt or jail policies, and said any decision on moving him to another location "is to be determined."

He said the county jail can hold him adequately.

"I don't see why we cannot," Schoo said. "I'm not going to discuss policy until the sheriff authorizes me to."

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...11f297218.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Missouri seeking death penalty in Montgomery County homicide

MONTGOMERY CITY, Mo. — A hearing for a Mexican national accused of killing a man in Missouri and four others in Kansas is being postponed, with prosecutors planning to seek the death penalty in the Missouri case.

Court records show that a Montgomery County judge on Wednesday delayed Pablo Serrano-Vitorino’s preliminary hearing from April 28 to May 12 at the request of Serrano’s attorneys. Prosecutors didn’t oppose the delay.

The defense motion for the postponement cited conversations with a state assistant attorney general “indicating their intention to seek the death penalty” in the March 8 death of Randy Nordman at Nordman’s home near New Florence.

State and local prosecutors are not publicly discussing that case.

Serrano also is accused in Kansas of killing four men the night before Nordman was slain.

http://fox4kc.com/2016/04/20/missour...unty-homicide/
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Related:

'Illegal reentry' of deportees would be new crime under measure advanced by Missouri Senate

By Jack Suntrup
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

JEFFERSON CITY - The Missouri Senate voted Thursday to create the crime of "illegal reentry" in the state.

The legislation states that anyone who is deported from the United States for committing a crime, returns and commits an assault or any felony would also be guilty of illegal reentry in Missouri.

The offense would be a class C felony. Custody of the person convicted would be transferred to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement "as soon as practical."

The Senate voted 26-6 to advance the measure to the House, with Democratic Sens. Scott Sifton of Affton and Jason Holsman of Kansas City siding with the Republican majority.

One of the main opponents of the measure was state Sen. Jill Schupp, D-Creve Coeur. She said that the bill is unconstitutional because immigration policy is under the federal government's purview.

"We know crime happens, but that doesn't mean we need to put into place laws that are unconstitutional," Schupp said in an interview. "Missourians' taxpayer dollars are going to be going to court fights instead of all the other important needs we have in the state."

Republican state Sen. Mike Cunningham of Rogersville, the bill sponsor, said that federal government inaction on immigration policy is what spurred the bill.

"Why I filed it was because the federal government wasn't doing their job and it was a chance for the state to stand up," he said.

Cunningham said that he's received legal opinions that argue the law is constitutional.

Schupp also said that a patchwork of state laws concerning immigration would be problematic. She added the legislation follows other ideas in the Legislature that makes Missouri appear anti-immigrant.

Cunningham didn't dispute that the state is unwelcoming — at least when it comes to the people his proposal applies to.

He used an example out of New Florence, Mo.
    , last month. Pablo Antonio Serrano-Vitorino is a Mexican citizen who was deported in 2004 but later reentered the country illegally. He is accused of killing four men in Kansas City, Kan., before driving to New Florence and killing another man.

"Hell yes we're unwelcoming to those people that break the law that abuse," Cunningham said in an interview. "I mean, they've committed felonies before."

The measure now heads to the House for consideration.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...e7619abfb.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    The path of a mass murderer

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. — By the time Pablo Serrano-Vitorino surrendered to police in the early morning hours of March 9, he was accused of five murders in two states.

Prosecutors say Serrano-Vitorino fatally shot four men at a home in Kansas City, Kan. on the night of March 7. He then allegedly drove his pickup truck most of the way across Missouri before abandoning it in Montgomery County. On the morning of March 8, police say he shot and killed a fifth man, New Florence resident Randy Nordman. Shortly after Serrano-Vitorino was taken into custody, it emerged that the Mexican national was in the United States illegally.

According to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Serrano-Vitorino entered the United States illegally in 1993. In 1998, Los Angeles County court documents show he was arrested for fighting in public. Then, in 2003, he allegedly pointed a rifle at his wife and children. He was deported back to Mexico on April 5, 2004. He slipped back into the United States prior to 2014.

In November 2014, Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson announced the Priority Enforcement Program. Anyone who posed a risk to public safety or national security would be classified as priority one, meaning they would face immediate deportation. Shortly after the March murders, Congressman Blaine Luetkemeyer and Kansas Congressman Kevin Yoder held a conference call with ICE officials. Luetkemeyer said Serrano-Vitorino had been classified as priority one. Luetkemeyer said ICE officials told them their agency doesn't have the funding or the personnel to carry out priority one deportations. He disagrees with that argument.

"The bottom line on this is, there's funding for priority one deportations, so it's not an excuse to not go after them," Luetkemeyer said.

Serrano-Vitorino had at least three brushes with the law prior to the murders. In 2014, he was arrested for drunk driving in Coffey County, Kan. ICE said it was never notified when he was convicted. Then, in June 2015, he was booked in the Wyandotte County, Kan. jail on suspicion of misdemeanor domestic assault.

When Serrano-Vitorino was booked, he told deputies he was born outside the United States. Deputies then sent ICE an immigrant alien query, or IAQ. Sheriff's Department spokesperson Lt. Kelli Bailiff said this is standard procedure. The IAQ contains the suspect's name, date of birth, the charges they face and any other identifying information.

"There's really not a typical situation," she said. "They have the option of not responding if they're not interested in speaking about this person. They can call and ask more questions. They can say, hey, we're immediately coming down. We want to interview this person."

In Serrano-Vitorino's case, the Wyandotte County Jail held him for 6 hours and then released him. Bailiff said ICE never followed up on the IAQ the department sent. That September, police in Overland Park, Kan., arrested him for traffic violations. This time, ICE sent a detain order to the Johnson County Sheriff's Department. But Serrano-Vitorino was never booked into the Johnson County Jail. Instead, he paid a $146 fine in municipal court.

Bailiff pointed out Serrano-Vitorino gave his name as Pablo Serrano when deputies booked him in June. She said that might explain why ICE never responded to the immigration query.

"We only can send the information that the person is giving us, and believe me, when a lot of people are booked in, they don't always tell the truth," she said.

ICE's repeated failure to apprehend Serrano-Vitorino despite multiple brushes with local law enforcement angers Luetkemeyer. After the conference call with ICE officials, he and Yoder sent a letter to Secretary Johnson asking for a full accounting of what went wrong and what was being done to correct it. He said Johnson has not yet responded. Luetkemeyer accuses ICE administration of promoting an atmosphere of permissiveness.

"They are not following through on their own protocols when they designate an individual a priority one individual. That cannot happen," he said.

ICE officials turned down repeated requests for an on-camera interview on this story and declined to respond to Luetkemeyer's comments.

Serrano-Vitorino is awaiting trial in Missouri for first-degree murder. Prosecutors are considering seeking the death penalty. He also faces four counts of first-degree murder in Wyandotte County, Kan.

http://krcgtv.com/news/local/the-pat...rer-04-28-2016

Trial ordered for man accused of New Florence, Mo., killing – and four more in Kansas

By Tim O'Neil
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

MONTGOMERY CITY, Mo. - The rifle seized by state troopers from Pablo Antonio Serrano-Vitorino at the end of a 17-hour manhunt was linked by ballistics to the death of a stranger who lived nearby, investigators testified in a hearing Thursday.

Associate Circuit Judge Kelly C. Broniec ordered that Serrano-Vitorino — who allegedly killed Randy J. Nordman of New Florence on March 8 while on the run after a quadruple murder in Kansas — must stand trial here for first-degree murder, armed criminal action and burglary.

The preliminary hearing replaces the grand jury process commonly used in urban areas as a path to trial. The next hearing will be June 1.

Serrano-Vitorino, 40, also faces first-degree murder charges in Kansas City, Kan., where he lived and is accused of fatally shooting four men in a neighbor’s home. A Mexican citizen, he returned to the U.S. illegally some time after being deported from California in 2004.

Chained and in an orange jumpsuit, the defendant did not speak during the two-hour hearing. An interpreter translated the proceedings into Spanish for him.

Nordman’s stepdaughter, Tasha Lawson, 26, said later she attended “because I wanted to see the guy who took my dad from us and caused us so much pain. It actually was hard to look at him. I cried when he came in the room.”

Julie Nordman, who heard the shot that killed her husband, did not attend.

Pedro Garcia, one of eight people who made the trip in support of the Kansas victims, said he hopes for a death sentence. Authorities have not said if they will seek one.

Six officials laid out details of what happened after a 100-officer dragnet focused on Interstate 70 and Missouri Highway 19 at New Florence. A pickup linked to the Kansas killing the night before was found abandoned four miles away on the shoulder.

They said Nordman, 49, was shot once in the chest, severing his aorta, in a struggle in his garage about 7:30 a.m.

Only 800 feet away, in midnight rain about 17 hours later, two Missouri troopers found the suspect hiding in a ditch with the rifle propped against his side. He did not resist.

“He just
    appeared exhausted and soaking wet,” Sgt. Brooks McGinnis testified.

Patrol Sgt. Jason Clark said lab tests linked the rifle to a bullet fragment in Nordman’s body and an empty casing in his garage. Clark also said DNA from blood on a tablecloth in Nordman’s kitchen was almost certainly Serrano-Vitorino’s.

New Florence is 75 miles west of St. Louis and five miles south the courthouse.

Randy Nordman was a machinist in Wentzville and an enthusiast of radio-controlled model race cars.

Serrano-Vitorino has been held in the Montgomery County Jail, where Sheriff Robert Davis said he had tried to commit suicide by cutting himself with a razor one day after his arrest.

Serrano-Vitorino had several run-ins with law enforcement that never led to an arrest on the immigration violation. In one case, he walked out of a Kansas court just before a federal “detainer” document arrived.

Members of the Missouri Senate cited Serrano-Vitorino in approving a bill that would make illegal re-entry a state violationas well as a federal one. As of Thursday, the bill was before the House with one day left of the legislative session.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...ca81e999d.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information