Thread: Brett Allan Bogle - Florida Death Row

Brett Allan Bogle - Florida Death Row

Brett Allan Bogle

Summary of Offense:

Brett Bogle, the defendant, was convicted and sentenced to death for the murder of Margaret Torres on September 13, 1991. Margaret Torres stayed with her sister, Katie Alfonso, four to five nights a week. In June 1991, Alfonso met the defendant, and soon after, Bogle moved in with the two sisters. Since Bogle and Torres never got along, Alfonso had to ask him to move out. The three remained acquaintances and went out together on September 1, 1991, the week after Bogle moved out. During the course of the evening, Bogle and Torres began to argue. The sisters refused to let him in their house, but Bogle broke through the screen door and pushed his way past Alfonso to stop Torres from calling 911. Bogle warned Torres that he would kill her if she told the police and pressed charges. Bogle called Alfonso a few days after the incident and again threatened that if Torres contacted the police, she would not live to tell about it.

On September 13, 1991, Bogle ran into Torres at a local bar. Witnesses testified that Bogle was clean and free of any visible injuries when he entered the bar and that he and Torres spoke briefly. Torres left the bar at 1 a.m., and the defendant was seen leaving five minutes later. When Bogle was seen 45 minutes later outside the bar, his clothes were soiled, his crotch was damp and his face was scratched.

Torres’ nude body was found the next day close to the bar. She had been beaten severely, her head had been crushed with a piece of cement, and medical examiners found semen in her vagina and anus. Tests confirmed that the semen matched Bogle’s DNA type, and that only 12.5 percent of white males could have left that particular type of semen.

Bogle was sentenced to death in Hillsborough County on February 15, 1993.

Factors Contributing to the Delay in the Imposition of the Sentence:

Bogle’s 3.850 Motion was pending for more than ten years.

Case Information:

Subsequent to his initial sentencing, Bogle was granted a new penalty phase by the Circuit Court on 12/22/92. During the second penalty phase, the judge sentenced the defendant to death on 02/15/93.

On 03/01/93, Bogle filed a Direct Appeal in the Florida Supreme Court. In his appeal, Bogle cited that the court erred in allowing the State Attorney’s Office of the 13th Circuit to handle his case when that office had hired one of his defense attorneys. Bogle also argued that the court prevented the penalty phase jury from hearing important evidence. He also claimed that the court erred in its application of several aggravating factors. The Florida Supreme Court affirmed the convictions and sentence of death on 02/16/95. The mandate was issued on 07/17/95.

Bogle filed a Petition for Writ of Certiorari on 09/13/95, which was denied on 11/13/95.

On 03/18/97, Bogle filed a 3.850 Motion in the State Circuit Court and amended the Motion on 07/05/00, 11/30/00, and 06/13/03. On 03/10/04 and 04/24/06, Evidentiary Hearings were held. On 04/02/07, this motion was denied in part and an Evidentiary Hearing was granted. The motion was amended on 06/06/08 and an Evidentiary Hearing was held on 11/30/09-12/01/09.

BRETT A BOGLE v STATE OF FLORIDA AND BRETT A BOGLE v JULIE L JONES etc..

In today's Florida Supreme Court opinions, the court AFFIRMED the DENIAL of postconviction relief and denied Bogle's petition for a writ of habeas corpus.
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

On May 26, 2017, Bogle filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/fl...cv01250/337535

In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court declined to review Bogle's petition for certiorari on state habeas appeal.

Lower Ct: Supreme Court of Florida
    Case Numbers: (SC11-2403, SC12-2465)
    Decision Date: February 9, 2017
    Rehearing Denied: April 13, 2017

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/17-6329.html

Distributed for conference September 29, 2020.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/20-5065.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court declined to review Bogle's petition for certiorari.

Lower Ct: Supreme Court of Florida
    Case Numbers: (SC17-2151)
    Decision Date: December 19, 2019
    Rehearing Denied: February 11, 2020

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/20-5065.html
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Third motion for post-conviction relief denied by the FSC.

https://law.justia.com/cases/florida...sc20-1054.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Thread Information