Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oscar Ray Bolin, Jr. - Florida Execution - January 7, 2016

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth but why couldn't Bolin's execution date have been set for November or early December instead of next year?

Senior Member Frequent Poster Fact's Avatar
    Politeness. Executing someone around the holidays is a big no-no. Hanukkah starts the first week of December this year and Thanksgiving is relatively late.

Senior Member Member OperaGhost84's Avatar
    Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the warrant have to be at least 60 days out?
    I am vehemently against Murder. That's why I support the Death Penalty.

Kathleen Reeves places flowers on the grave of her daughter, Teri Lynn Matthews, who would be 55 on Monday.

After 29-year wait, mom awaits Bolin’s January execution

By Keith Morelli
    The Tampa Tribune

TAMPA — Kathleen Reeves will celebrate her only daughter’s birthday Monday the same way she has for the past 29 years.

“I’ll take flowers to her grave,” she said.

Teri Lynn Matthews would have been 55, maybe with a family of her own. But her life was taken when she was just 26 by serial killer Oscar Ray Bolin Jr., who is scheduled to atone for her murder on Jan. 7 when he is executed by the state of Florida.

Reeves, a 78-year-old Spring Hill resident, said her daughter’s homicide in 1986 was the first in a series of deaths that have left her alone. Her two sons and a stepson have died from diseases and a car wreck since Matthews was murdered. Her husband died in April 2014, the victim of cancer; the same for her brother, who died in June.

“My family,” she said, “is gone.”

Reeves plans to attend Bolin’s execution, but right now she would rather talk about her daughter, a graduate of Tampa’s Robinson High School who was buried long ago in a Hernando County cemetery.

“She worked at night and she was learning scuba diving,” Reeves said. “She just recently had gotten into a serious romantic relationship with a young man.

“He’s gone,” Reeves wistfully said, “has family of his own now.”

Her daughter’s future was bright.

“She had everything; all her ducks in a row, and she was headed in the right direction,” Reeves said. “She was a happy young lady. Her life was looking rosy, and she was pretty excited.”

Those hopes came to a violent end one winter night when Bolin abducted Matthews from a Land O’ Lakes Post Office parking lot before stabbing and bludgeoning her on Dec. 5, 1986.

He brought the severely injured woman, wrapped in a sheet, to the home of his 13-year-old half-brother, who later told authorities he saw the victim in the sheet on the ground outside the house and heard moaning and gurgling sounds.

Bolin then bludgeoned Matthews with a wooden club before loading her into his truck and driving off.

Matthews’ body was found wrapped in the same blood-stained sheet on the side of a road in rural Pasco County later that day.

The case went unsolved for four years, until Bolin’s ex-wife in Ohio told authorities he confessed to her that he had killed Matthews. When he was charged in 1990, Bolin was serving a 22- to 75-year prison sentence in Ohio for kidnapping and raping a 20-year-old waitress near Toledo.

Reeves said she has waited for what seems like a lifetime for justice. In fact, it has been a lifetime. The time between Matthews’ murder and now — 29 years — is three years longer than her life.

On Oct. 30, Gov. Rick Scott signed a death warrant for the 53-year-old Bolin in Matthews’ case. He also has been convicted of murdering two other females, one a 17-year-old girl, in a 1986 murder spree.

Three times, Bolin stood trial in Pasco County in the slaying of Matthews. The first two convictions were thrown out by appeals courts. The third conviction withstood appellate challenges, and his death sentence was upheld.

The former carnival worker and long-distance truck driver also was sentenced to death for the murder of 17-year-old Stephanie Collins, a Tampa high school student and is serving a life sentence for the murder of Natalie “Blanche” Holley, 25.

In January 1986, Holley was abducted after she left work at Church’s Chicken in North Tampa. She was stabbed to death and her body was found the next day in a Lutz orange grove.

Ten months later, Collins disappeared from a shopping center parking lot in Carrollwood. Her body was found on Dec. 5, 1986, with blunt injuries to the head. The bodies of Collins and Matthews were found on the same day.

Collins’ mother, Donna Witmer, along with Reeves and Holley’s mother, also named Natalie, attended trials together and became close friends.

Witmer declined to comment on the signing of the death warrant last week.

Natalie Holley died in 2012 and won’t get to see her daughter’s killer pay the ultimate price for his crimes.

Bolin’s defense attorney, Bjorn Brunvand, said this case has taken a toll on all parties.

“Because of the number of trials and the number of appeals, it has been very draining for everyone involved,” he said. “That being said, if it turns out that at some point, (Bolin) is found to be innocent, certainly it’s all worth it.”

Brunvand filed a motion for rehearing Tuesday, hoping to persuade a judge to take another look at what he calls discrepancies in the forensic evidence presented at trial and other issues.

The Clearwater attorney said he met with Bolin on Wednesday, five days after the death warrant was signed.

“How is he taking the death warrant? He’s probably taking it better than (his wife) Rosalie and better than his legal team,” Brunvand said.

Brunvand’s opposition to the death penalty has grown stronger while working on this case.

“I’ve always been opposed to the death penalty for a variety of reasons,” he said. “I don’t think it deters other murders. It’s barbaric, and I think that financially it makes absolutely no sense.”

Reeves hopes Brunvand’s last-ditch defense efforts to stay the death sentence fail. She wants to watch Bolin breathe his last breath.

“Absolutely,” she said. “I certainly plan on being there. I’m ecstatic about this. I’m not a fan of the governor, but I am today. I’m going to be 78 this month and, certainly, I was beginning to wonder if this ever would take place.”

She has nothing to say to Bolin.

“These people live on a different plane than we do,” she said. “There is no explanation for what they do. They just live in a different world.”

Rosalie Martinez, a death-row inmate advocate working on Bolin’s case in the 1990s, did make a connection with the killer. In 1996, she married him in a wedding performed over the telephone. She left her Tampa attorney husband and four daughters and has been Bolin’s wife for 19 years.

Asked to comment on the case this week, she responded with an emailed statement, which said, in part:

“I am just beyond heartbroken,” she said. “The governor, by signing Oscar’s warrant, is creating a whole set of invisible victims that no one wants to talk about. That would include me, my family, the lawyers, department of corrections staff and anyone carrying out the death sentence.

“It’s barbaric in a civilized society.’’

http://www.tbo.com/news/breaking-new...tion-20151107/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

I knew him in Raiford back in 2002 while visiting another DR inmate. Of course he and Rosalie looked happy and confident that everything would be right working on his case. It does seem the efforts did not bring any good news. Let's see what happens...

There usually isn't good news for serial killers!
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

You are right Heidi, but among many others in that death row I 've been brought to think that, working his wife Rosalie on his case so hard and so close to people involved in sentencing and signing Xdates, he wouldn't be a "first choice" ... I mean, others have been living on the row much longer than he has. That's all

jenral
    Just a couple of months and to hell he goes.

Oscar Ray Bolin, Jr. asks Florida Supreme Court to stay execution

By Kristen M. Clark
    The Tampa Bay Times

A death-row inmate facing execution in January for a murder in Pasco County 30 years ago is asking the Florida Supreme Court for a stay in the case and to grant a hearing so his attorneys can argue "newly discovered evidence," which a circuit court recently rejected.

Republican Gov. Rick Scott signed the death warrant for Oscar Ray Bolin, Jr., last month, scheduling his execution for Jan. 7.

Bolin killed three women in the Tampa Bay area in 1986. He was sentenced to death for two of them and is serving a life sentence on the third. The scheduled execution is for the murder of Teri Lynn Matthews, whom he abducted from the Land O' Lakes Post Office in the early morning hours of Dec. 5, 1986.

In a motion to the Supreme Court filed late Monday, Bolin's attorneys argue they have new evidence that needs to be heard, including that an Ohio inmate "confessed to having committed the murder." Download Filed_11-23-2015_Motion_Briefing_Schedule

A circuit court last month denied Bolin's request for an evidentiary hearing on the matter, reasoning that the "confession was not evidence of a magnitude that it would probably produce an acquittal or a sentence other than death if admitted at a retrial."

After Scott signed Bolin's death warrant, Bolin appealed his case once more to the Sixth Circuit Court, and on Friday, the court denied Bolin's motion for rehearing and a request to vacate the death sentence.

Bolin was convicted of abducting Matthews and then bludgeoning her with a wooden club, spraying her with a water hose and loading her into a truck to dispose of her body. She was found wrapped in the sheet on the side of the road in Pasco County later that day with severe head injuries and stab wounds in her neck and body.

Bolin previously appealed his case to federal court but his petition was denied in 2013, and the 11th Circuit of the U.S. Court of Appeals also denied to review the case.

Bolin has been convicted of two other murders in Hillsborough County. He is currently sentenced to death for the 1986 murder of Stephanie Collins and is serving a life sentence for the 1986 murder of Natalie Holley.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-bu...cution/2255202
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Florida Supreme Court Denies Appeal

The Florida Supreme Court has denied serial killer Oscar Ray Bolin's appeal for a rehearing. Execution set for Jan. 7.

https://twitter.com/TimesDan

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information