Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Derrick Ryan Dearman - Alabama Death Row

Conviction and death sentence affirmed on direct appeal for six counts of capital murder

Remanded to the Mobile Circuit Court to vacate four of the capital murder convictions on a double jeopardy claim

https://law.justia.com/cases/alabama...r-18-0060.html
    Last edited by Bobsicles; 08-05-2022 at 11:45 PM.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Derrick Dearman has four of ten capital murder convictions thrown out

By Brad Gunther
    WPMI News

MOBILE, Ala. (WPMI) — The Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals on Friday vacated four of the ten capital murder convictions against Derrick Dearman.

Dearman was charged with 12 counts of capital murder and 2 counts of kidnapping in the 2016 brutal mass murder of six people, including an unborn child, in Citronelle in August 2016.

Robert Lee Brown, Chelsea Marie Reed (5 months pregnant), Justin Kaleb Reed, Joseph Adam Turner and Shannon Melissa Randall were murdered at a home on Jim Platt Road.

Dearman plead guilty to ten of the capital murder charges in exchange for the state dropping 2 capital murder and the 2 kidnapping charges, a jury sentenced Dearman to death in 2018.

Dearman argued that 4 of the five convictions violate the double-jeopardy principles, which prevent a defendant from being tried and convicted on multiple counts of capital murder when they involve the same victims.

The appeals court agreed and on Friday remanded the case to the Mobile County Circuit Court to vacate four of the convictions and the death sentences.

The court concluded that on all the remaining counts “the death penalty was the proper sentence in Dearman’s case.”

Dearman still has six capital murder convictions and sentences of death.

https://mynbc15.com/news/local/derri...ons-thrown-out
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Man on death row heading back to court Thursday, some convictions could be dropped

By Lacey Beasley
    Fox 10 News

MOBILE, Ala. (WALA) - A mass murderer on death row heading back to court Thursday. Four of his convictions may be dropped, but the death penalty won’t change.

Wednesday night, Derrick Dearman was temporarily off death row after being convicted of 10 counts of capital murder.

This gruesome crime happened back in 2016 in Citronelle. Derrick Dearman used an axe to hack the five victims, then a gun to shoot them including a pregnant woman.

Retiring District Attorney Ashley Rich said this is one of the most horrific cases she’s ever seen.

“I’ve never had a case where there have been five victims,” said Rich.

Thursday, four of those convictions could be thrown out. She recalled the shocking details of this case.

“He proceeded to chop them all with an axe,” she said. “There were five people in the residence. He chopped each one of them with an axe, and they were suffering severe injuries, and then he went one by one and then shot them with a gun.”

Mass killer Derrick Dearman committed this crime on August 20th, 2016.

According to court documents, Dearman and Laneta Lester were involved in a ‘longtime, volatile relationship.’

Dearman decided to attack Lester’s brother Joseph Turner, and his wife Shannon Randall, along with Justin and Chelsea reed (5 months pregnant), and Robert Brown, who were all staying at a house on Jim Platt Road.

Dearman slaughtered all five, and horrifically enough, while Shannon Randall’s three-month-old infant lay in bed with her.

Dearman then stole the keys to Randall’s vehicle and took off with his estranged girlfriend Lester and infant.

Both Lester and the baby were left unharmed.

Other court documents showed Dearman was high on meth at the time.

His convictions include five counts of capital murder and five counts of capital murder during a burglary.

Thursday, he’s appearing back in court, and four of those convictions could be dropped.

“He could not be convicted of all 10 counts,” said Rich. “He could only be convicted of six of the 10 counts, so it’s been sent back. The conviction stands and has been proven through the Court of Criminal Appeals that the state did everything right on those six convictions--on all 10, but it was just duplicative on the other four.”

Rich added this is one of the worst cases she’s ever seen.

“Oh, this is one of the most horrific cases I’ve ever tried in my 26-and-a-half-year career as a prosecutor here in Mobile County,” she said.

If those four counts are dropped, Dearman still faces six counts of capital murder and will sit on death row until his execution.

https://www.fox10tv.com/2022/09/08/m...ld-be-dropped/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Some murder convictions for mass killer vacated, death penalty stands

By Nicolette Schleisman
    WKRG News

MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG) — Convicted mass murderer Derrick Dearman was back in a Mobile County Courtroom Thursday afternoon, for a hearing to vacate several of his convictions.

It took just a few minutes for a Mobile County judge to vacate four of Derrick Dearman’s 10 charges, but Dearman is still sentenced to death.

“When you chop five people alive with an axe and they are still very much alive suffering from chop wounds from an axe and then you go and shoot them one by one, there’s no case more deserving of the death penalty,” said Ashley Rich, the Mobile County District Attorney.

Dearman killed five people, including a pregnant woman during a meth-fueled rampage at a home in Citronelle in August of 2016. Dearman shot up crystal meth before using an axe and a gun to slaughter the victims in their sleep.

In September of 2018, Dearman was convicted of 10 counts of capital murder, that number was higher than the number of victims because there were overlapping charges of capital murder committed during a burglary and capital murder of multiple people. He was sentenced to death in October of 2018.

He appealed that some of the convictions violated double jeopardy rules, and the court of criminal appeals agreed. So the judge vacated four of the five capital murder charges.

“There should have only been one count of capital murder pursuant to during the course of one course or scheme of conduct, in other words, this was one large act committed by Derrick Dearman that killed five people,” said Rich.

In court, Dearman’s attorney argued that because four of the capital murder charges were vacated, the death penalty is no longer appropriate in this case.

https://www.wkrg.com/mobile-county/s...enalty-stands/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

The ACCA affirmed the conviction and death sentences of three of the capital murder convictions that were vacated by the ASC.

https://law.justia.com/cases/alabama...r-18-0060.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Alabama Supreme Court upholds Derrick Dearman murder convictions

By Brad Gunther
    WPMI News

MOBILE, Ala. (WPMI) — The Alabama Supreme Court on Friday denied an application from Derrick Dearman to hear his appeal, upholding his six murder convictions.

In March 2023, The Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals upheld the six remaining capital murder convictions and death sentences against Derrick Dearman.

In August 2022, the same court vacated four of the ten capital murder convictions against Dearman.

Dearman was charged with 12 counts of capital murder and 2 counts of kidnapping in the 2016 brutal mass murder of six people, including an unborn child, in Citronelle in August 2016.

Robert Lee Brown, Chelsea Marie Reed (5 months pregnant), Justin Kaleb Reed, Joseph Adam Turner and Shannon Melissa Randall were murdered at a home on Jim Platt Road.

Dearman plead guilty to ten of the capital murder charges in exchange for the state dropping 2 capital murder and the 2 kidnapping charges, a jury sentenced Dearman to death in 2018.

Dearman argued that 4 of the five convictions violate the double-jeopardy principles, which prevent a defendant from being tried and convicted on multiple counts of capital murder when they involve the same victims.

The appeals court agreed and on Friday remanded the case to the Mobile County Circuit Court to vacate four of the convictions and the death sentences.

The court concluded that on all the remaining counts “the death penalty was the proper sentence in Dearman’s case.”

https://mynbc15.com/news/local/alaba...an-convictions

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information