Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steven Ray Endsley Sentenced to LWOP in 2016 MO Slaying of Theresa Jackson and Danielle Smith

Steven Ray Endsley Sentenced to LWOP in 2016 MO Slaying of Theresa Jackson and Danielle Smith

Danielle Smith

Man charged with killing mother and daughter in Camden County

CAMDENTON, Mo. - Authorities in Camden County have made an arrest in the killings of two women found in a burned out trailer.

The sheriff’s office reports deputies arrested Steven Ray Endsley, of Camdenton early Saturday morning. A Missouri State Highway Patrol SWAT team and the FBI helped with the arrest. Endsley is charged with two counts of First Degree Murder in the deaths of Theresa Jackson, 61, and her daughter Danielle Smith, 27.

The women’s bodies were found in the remains of their burned out mobile home Monday morning. An autopsy determined the women were killed before the fire was set.

Investigators say Endsley lived next door to the women and, according to witnesses, had been in an ongoing disagreement with Smith over her sexual orientation. The FBI is assisting the sheriff’s office in investigating the possibility of the murders being a hate crime linked to that disagreement.

Two other adult members of Endsley’s family were taken into custody for questioning at the time of his arrest. Neither have been charged.

Endsley is also charged with two counts of Felony Armed Criminal Action, one count of the Class B Felony of 1st Degree Burglary, and one count of the Class C Felony of 2nd Degree Arson.

According to court records, Endsley was due in court in Camden County later this month on a weapons-related misdemeanor charge.

Endsley is being held without bond.

http://www.ky3.com/content/news/Man-...392252161.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Family of woman murdered in Camden County says she was harassed for months by accused killer

By Francis Watson and Lance Green
    KSPR33 ABC News

CAMDEN COUNTY, Mo. - Last week, the bodies of two women were found in a burned trailer in Camden County. Authorities arrested and charged a neighbor for murdering them.

Investigators say Danielle Smith was stabbed to death before being burned.As for her mother, the medical examiner can't tell, she was burned too badly.

Smith's sister says she had plans to leave Missouri to get away from Steven Endsley but never got the chance.

Now, she just wants justice for her sister and her sister's mother.

"Why does he get to have a life if she couldn't?" Says Heather Smith.

Steven Endsley is charged with first degree murder for killing 27 year-old Danielle Smith and her 61 year-old mother, Theresa Jackson.

"I want to confront him on the day that he is sentenced and ask him how can he kill my sister? I want to see him get the death penalty, honestly. I don't care if it's 20, 30 years down the road, I will sit there and I will watch him die," she says.

Their bodies found after a fire destroyed their mobile home. All that's left is the frame of the home and a makeshift memorial.

"I can understand from the family's standpoint what's it's like to be confronted with this information out of the blue," says Sgt. Scott Hines with the Camden County Sheriff's Office.

He is helping with the investigation.

"There's some indication that one of the victims lived a homosexual or bisexual lifestyle. If that was a deciding factor, and this all goes to motive, if that was a deciding factor on the suspect's case then that's when the FBI gets involved as far as this becoming a hate crime," explains Sgt. Hines.

Heather Smith says Endsley was harassing her younger sister.

"Nine months of him throwing fire crackers at her house or trailer, calling her names, even harassing her friends that would come and visit," she says.

Sgt. Hines confirming past run ins.

"We actually did take a couple of incident reports, one of which was relatively detailed," he says.

Heather Smith explains, "They told her they couldn't do anything until something physical happened. Unfortunately it escalated into death."

Danielle Smith's only choice was a restraining order. There wasn't one filed.

"If that restraining order is broken or violated, that's a violation of the law at which point the sheriff's office or police department can take action. It's hard to say the situation could have been prevented," explains Sgt. Hines.

Heather Smith is left only with the memory of a sister she says was loving and genuine.

"She made sure she let people know she loved them," she says.

This investigation is far from over. The FBI and sheriff's office says information about this case is still coming in.

Right now, Endsley is only facing state charges. He could be face federal charges if this turns out to be deemed a hate crime.

Heather Smith is planning to come to Missouri from Nebraska for funeral arrangements and has set up a GoFundMe page to help cover costs.

Endsley is charged with 6 felonies and is in jail without bond. He'll go before a judge on October 4.

http://www.kspr.com/content/news/Fam...392525851.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Man Sent Anti-Gay Texts Before Murdering Bisexual Woman And Her Mother, Authorities Say

By LakeExpo.com Staff

CAMDEN COUNTY, Mo. — A series of text messages appear to reveal a local man’s planning of a double-murder and arson, investigators say, and federal authorities are looking into whether the anti-gay slurs and content of those messages reveal a motive for the crime.

Steven Ray Endsley, 54, of Camdenton, is charged with six felonies in the Aug. 29, 2016 deaths of 27-year-old Danielle Smith and 61-year-old Teresa Jackson. He is facing two counts of murder, one count of arson, and three other felony charges after authorities say he stabbed both women multiple times and strangled one of them, in the early hours of Aug. 29.

A court document details text messages allegedly sent by Endsley in the hours before the two women were murdered. A text sent at 1:23 a.m. on Aug. 29 said “no dikesor faggots” and a text sent one minute later said “Bipolar Lesbos”, according to the document. Another text allegedly sent a few minutes later referenced a “block house with camper.”

Endsley reportedly had a troubled history with Jackson and Smith. He lived next door to them, and sheriff’s deputies had responded to disturbances there on multiple occasions, according to the document. An acquaintance of Endsley told investigators that Endsley had once stated, “I’d burn that trailer down if I could get away with it,” referencing Jackson’s mobile home.

An autopsy on Aug. 31 revealed a total of seven stab wounds between the two women, with one showing signs of strangulation. The mobile home where Smith and Jackson lived, on Parkway Court just south of Camdenton, was totally destroyed by fire, though both victims were deceased before the fire was started, the autopsy revealed.

Authorities say the fire was set by Endsley with the use of accelerant. According to the court document, the State Fire Marshal confirmed accelerant was poured near each murder victim’s body. The document states a text allegedly sent by Endsley at 2:35 a.m. instructed Endsley’s son to “bring shine,” which authorities say is a reference to moonshine, which can be used as a fire accelerant.

In the hours before the fire, Endsley is alleged to have also sent a text saying, “Haha..popo [police] is on my side…record all you want.”

In addition to the six felony charges filed by the state, the FBI is also investigating the incident, as a possible hate crime.

http://lakeexpo.com/news/crime/man-s...ae5dc4953.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Camdenton Man Accused Of Double-Murder, Arson Appears In Court

By Al Griffin
    Lake Expo News

CAMDEN COUNTY, Mo. — It was a brief, yet tense appearance, when Steven Ray Endsley, accused of murdering two local women and burning their mobile home, showed up in Camden County court on Tuesday.

Endsley appeared in the courtroom of Judge Aaron Koeppen on Sept. 20. He waived his preliminary hearing, and Judge Koeppen bound Endsley over for trial. Endsley’s next appearance in court will be Oct. 7 at 9 a.m.

Family members of the victims were in court to observe. A member of Endsley’s family also sat in at the very back of the courtroom and waited several minutes for the Smith family to leave. However, apparently members of the Smith family waited in the hall of the courthouse, where there was a fiery exchange of words with Endsley’s relative. Deputies quickly restored order.

The allegations against Endsley are two counts of murder in the First Degree, two counts of Armed Criminal Action, 1 Count of Burglary in the First Degree, and one count of Arson in the Second Degree. His alleged victims were Danielle Smith and Theresa Jackson who lived near Endsley.

Smith and Jackson were found dead inside their burned-out mobile home on Aug. 29, 2016; autopsies revealed both had been killed before the fire began, authorities say. Court documents reflect an ongoing series of hostile contacts between Endsley and the two victims.

http://lakeexpo.com/news/lake_news/c...e66cecb0c.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

May 7, 2018

Double murder trial set for December

myozarksonline.com

The trial has been set for a Camdenton man accused of murdering a mother and daughter in August 2016. Steven Ray Endsley appeared in Laclede County Circuit Court today for a trial setting. Endsley is accused of stabbing Teresa Jackson and Danielle Smith, and killing them in their home, in Camden County. Investigators say that Endsley then used an accelerant to set their mobile home on fire. Endsley is scheduled to stand trial on December 17th, 2018 for 2 counts of first degree murder, 2 counts of armed criminal action, burglary and arson.

http://www.myozarksonline.com/double...-for-december/

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    More than two years after killing two Camden Co women accused killer still awaits trial

KSPR

CAMDEN COUNTY, Mo. - A family is frustrated that the Camden County man accused of killing 2 of their family members has still not gone to trial more than 2 years after the crimes.

Steven Endsley is charged with first-degree murder for killing Danielle Smith and her mother, Teresa Jackson. He was supposed to go to trial this week.

According to investigators the bodies of the women were found after Endsley burned their trailer home.

Investigators said Smith was stabbed to death before being burned. As for her mother, the medical examiner couldn't tell how she was killed. She was burned too badly. This happened during the summer of 2016.

However, Endsley has yet to face a judge and jury because of multiple delays including medical issues. The latest delay involves his attorney withdrawing from the case because of a conflict.

"I carry her in my car with me. Her urn is in my car. She's goes with me everywhere," said Heather Smith-Grosvenor, Danielle Smith's sister.

Her family continues to relive the horror of her sister's murder.

"It's still fresh and I think it's because we really haven't had closure because the trial hasn't happened," she said.

She tried to get her out of Missouri.

"I was trying to get Danielle to go with me to Wyoming because that's when she told me her neighbor was harassing her. Clearly it doesn't just stop at harassment. If somebody is not right in the head enough it's going lead up what happened to Danielle," she explained.

But it was too late. Several police reports were filed but Smith never got an order of protection. Smith-Grosvenor said it likely wouldn't have stopped Endsley.

"This could happen to anybody. It doesn't matter if you're black, Asian, straight, gay. It doesn't matter about somebody's sexual orientation, they could love who they want to. It does not make them a horrible person," she said.

Authorities we spoke to when the crime happened acknowledged that this could be why Endsley killed Smith and Jackson.

"The letter said something about thank you for being patient. We're still working on this case. They're still building a case. The FBI always takes forever," she said.

Though the feds are still on this case, the state has dropped the hate crime element. Under Missouri law it only enhances sentencing if convicted.

"It is frustrating, of course. I know that there have been questions about why this wasn't charged as a hate crime. It's mainly judicial efficiency. It will bring nothing. There is one punishment for this crime. By charging it as a hate crime, it does nothing to affect the outcome," said Camden County Prosecutor, Heather Miller.

The case file is still on her desk.

"While we go through these delays and re-settings of trials the state continues to work on the case and make sure we have the best case possible to bring to trial," said Miller.

"He thought it was okay to take somebody's life but how am I going to say it's okay to take his life. As much as I want to see him suffer, it's up to God what happens to him now," Smith-Grosvenor.

Endsley's case was moved from Camden to Laclede County at his request. He will be back in front of a judge to set a new trial date next month.

If convicted, Endsley will spend the rest of his life in prison.

This case was filed without the death penalty as a sentencing option.

https://www.kspr.com/content/news/Mo...503184311.html
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

Murder trial for Danielle Smith and Teresa Jackson delayed for the seventh time

By Chris Six
    Ozarks First News

CAMDENTON, Mo. – The trial date for a Camdenton man accused of double murder for the deaths of a woman and her mother in 2016 has been postponed again to mid-2020 over the objections of the Camden County prosecutor.

Steven Ray Endsley, 57, is charged with murder, armed criminal action, burglary, and arson in the deaths of Danielle M. Smith, 27, and her mother, Teresa A. Jackson, 61.

According to a press release from the sheriff’s office, Endsley and Smith had an ongoing disagreement regarding Smith’s identification as a lesbian. The release said the FBI was working with Camden County to see if the murders were part of a hate crime in connection with Endley’s disagreement.

Their remains were found in the burned-out hull of the mobile home they lived in at a trailer park in Camden County on Aug. 29, 2016.

The Camden County Sheriff’s Office said in 2016 that their bodies were found in their mobile home by firefighters battling a blaze at the trailer park.

According to the probable cause statement, Endsley was Danielle’s next-door neighbor. He and Danielle would fight frequently and on one occasion Endsley allegedly showed a firearm while at Teresa and Danielle’s property.

The probable cause also says after an autopsy showed Danielle was stabbed five times and Teresa was stabbed two times. Both died prior to the fire. The Missouri State Fire Marshall’s say there were two pours of accelerant that fueled the fire. one pour near where each victim was found.

On Tuesday (9/19/19), Endsley’s attorney’s requested a continuance of the trial set for that day. Prosecutors objected, but Judge Kenneth Hayden ruled in the defendant’s favor and reset the trial for June 8, 2020. A pretrial conference is set for May 4, 2020, according to online court records.

Tuesday’s trial delay is the seventh in the case.

Endsley is charged with two counts of the 1st-degree murder, two counts of armed criminal action, one count of the 1st-degree burglary, and one count of 2nd-degree arson.

https://www.ozarksfirst.com/local-ne...e-murder-case/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Endsley Double Murder Case Again Scheduled for Trial

By KRMS Newsroom

Legal wranglings in a double-murder case in Camden County filed in August of 2016 have, apparently, hit another standstill. Now 57-year-old Steven Ray Endsley remains in the Laclede County Jail without bond after the case was transferred on a change of venue in December of 2016.

At least of handful of scheduled trials since the alleged murders have been cancelled with several other motions filed over the history of the case. The most recent motion, seeking a bond, was filed in October of 2019 but has not been put on a docket.

Endsley is accused of stabbing a Camdenton-area mother and her daughter in an, apparent, dispute over sexual orientation before setting their trailer on fire trying to hide the murders. He’s facing two counts each of first-degree murder and armed criminal action and one count each of burglary and arson.

As it stands, a pre-trial conference is now scheduled for early May with a jury trial on the docket in June.

https://www.krmsradio.com/endsley-do...led-for-trial/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Trial set for 2016 Camden County double murder suspect

By Joyce Miller
    Lakenewsonline.com

Nearly five years after the crime, the man accused of killing a 27-year-old Camdenton woman and her mother - then trying to cover it up with fire - is scheduled to go to trial on June 15 in Laclede County.

Steven Ray Endsley was 54-years-old when he was arrested in September 2016 and charged with two counts of murder, armed criminal action, burglary, and arson. Endsley is accused of killing his neighbors, Danielle Smith and her mother, Teresa A. Jackson.

Endsley has been held without bond since his arrest.

Endsley was a neighbor of the women who lived in a trailer park near Camdenton on Floyds Drive off of South Business Route 5.

The bodies of Jackson and Smith were discovered in the remains of their burned-out trailer home on the morning of Aug. 29, 2016. According to autopsy results, the women were murdered - stabbed multiple times - prior to the home being set on fire. In addition to both women being stabbed, Jackson also had injuries consistent with strangulation.

At the time of the murders, the Camden County Sheriff’s Department, assisted by the FBI, indicated the murders and fire were being investigated as a hate crime stemming from an ongoing disagreement with a neighbor over sexual orientation. Police had been called to the trailer on previous occasions and one of the victims had made social media posts about incidents.

In an interview in 2016, Danielle Smith’s sister, Heather Smith, said there were numerous incidents involving Endsley with Danielle going so far as to talk to law enforcement about the harassment though nothing came of it.

In court documents, it appears the threats escalated over time. Statements given by friends to investigators indicated Danielle’s lifestyle seemed to be the catalyst for the alleged harassment.

On Aug. 28, the evening before Jackson and Danielle Smith were murdered and the fire was set, Endsley was allegedly shining a green light through the window of Jackson’s home while banging on her door, yelling for her to come outside. Jackson called a friend who later reported the conversation to investigators, describing Jackson as very upset.

That same evening, Endsley had allegedly been drinking and made threats during a conversation to another person that he would burn the trailer down “if I could get away with it,” referring to Jackson and Danielle’s home. He was also heard making derogatory statements about Danielle, based on information in the probable cause statement.

On Aug. 29 shortly after midnight, Endsley allegedly started texting Danielle, sending her a total of five text messages in a matter of minutes. All derogatory, even one that seemed to taunt Danielle that said, “move” and “Haha popo is on my side...record all you want.”

Endsley allegedly texted his son shortly before the fire broke out and told him to “bring shine.” According to investigators moonshine can be used as an accelerant.

The court documents did not identify what was used as an accelerant in the fire. The probable cause statement indicates two different areas of the mobile home showed signs of accelerant, one near where each of the victims’ was found.

Mid-County Fire Protection District personnel responded to the fire around 5 a.m. Aug. 29.

That same morning, Endsley had left town during the early morning hours. He was found later that day at his sister’s house. Court records did not identify where the sister’s house was located but there was a reference to Endsley calling his sister around 4:30 that morning to tell her he was coming to her house.

In her statement in the court documents, she told investigators she had not seen Endsley in two years and had not spoken to him since early spring of 2016.

Video surveillance tape pulled from several locations near the trailer home showed two vehicles leaving the area around the time of the fire. One of the vehicles matched the description of Danielle Smith’s car that was taken from the home, later found abandoned in Laclede County. Another vehicle in the video matched that of Endsley’s tan van.

Endsley’s case was moved to Laclede County on a change of venue. Five days have been set aside for the trial.

https://www.lakenewsonline.com/story...ct/5186474001/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Endsley Trial Changed To Cass County – Taking Place January 2022

By KRMS Radio

The double murder trial of a Camdenton area man accused of killing a mother and daughter, now, more than five years ago will be heard in Cass County.

The Camden County case, filed against Steven Ray Endsley, was first transferred on a change of venue to Laclede County with a second change of venue to Cass County being granted by the court in early July of this year.

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/23938...e-january-2022

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information