Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brice Jamar Rhodes Sentenced to LWOP in 2016 KY Triple Murder

Louisville judge rules triple-murder defendant Brice Rhodes is competent to stand trial

By Jason Riley
    WDRB News

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- A Jefferson Circuit Court judge ruled Friday that triple-murder defendant Brice Rhodes is mentally competent to stand trial.

After hearing from witnesses for more than two hours, including a psychiatrist from the Kentucky Correctional Psychiatric Center (KCPC) in La Grange who evaluated Rhodes, Judge Julie Kaelin ruled "there has been no conclusive testimony that he is incompetent."

Kaelin set a trial date for Dec. 11 in the case, which has been slowly winding its way through the court system since 2016.

The competency hearing was unusual in many ways, including unsuccessful attempts by Rhodes' attorney Tom Griffiths to have several of Rhodes' previous attorneys testify about his conduct over the years, which include numerous outbursts and threats.

When Rhodes attempted to cut Kaelin off at one point, she told him he would be removed from the courtroom if he did it again. For most of the two hours, Rhodes sat quietly and calmly, yawning frequently.

And Griffiths also attempted to testify himself on Rhodes' behavior and actions since he began representing him, including the fact that Rhodes refuses to talk with Griffiths or acknowledge his defense team.

"I'm not excited about sitting in that chair but I believe I have evidence" the judge needs to hear about whether Rhodes would be able to assist in his own defense at trial, Griffiths said.

Kaelin did not allow Griffiths or any attorney who represented Rhodes in the past to testify, in large part because it would be a violation of attorney-client privilege. Several of the attorneys also said they would refuse to testify.

Dr. Timothy Allen, a psychiatrist from KCPC, testified that Rhodes is mentally competent to stand trial. Allen said Rhodes is articulate, understands what is happening and "pretty much did everything we asked of him."

Allen said Rhodes does have anti-social personality disorder, anxiety and substance issues. He also has a low IQ — 73 — but Allen said he did not believe Rhodes was giving full effort.

But Griffiths pointed out that in his competency evaluation, it was reported that Rhodes would put out traps in his rooms to make sure nobody was sneaking in, had hallucinations and that he believed the prosecutor in the case, among others, was trying to poison him.

The recommendation from Allen in the evaluation also notes that Rhodes can participate in his own trial "if he chooses to do so," Griffiths noted.

Rhodes would not meet with a psychiatrist from his own defense team, telling the man he believed he was a police officer.

Griffiths argued that Rhodes has run off multiple attorneys, does not speak to his current legal team, exhibits paranoia and believes there is a conspiracy against him.

Kaelin said it is not that unusual for a defendant to not trust the legal system.

Asked if he wanted to represent himself at trial, Rhodes told the judge he wants to hire new attorneys, a matter that will be taken up at a later date.

He also again argued that his case should be dismissed because of police misconduct. Kaelin denied the motion, saying there is no evidence of police wrongdoing in the case.

The high-profile case has been pending since 2016 and was scheduled for trial in January 2022 before Rhodes' defense asked for a competency evaluation, claiming Rhodes had an "intellectual disability."

Because of a statewide backlog, it took KCPC more than a year to evaluate Rhodes on whether he is competent to stand trial or should be eligible for the death penalty.

Rhodes is accused of shooting and killing Christopher Jones in May 2016. Later that month, he allegedly killed 14-year-old Larry Ordway and 16-year-old Maurice Gordon. Police have said the two were killed at Rhodes' home in Clifton. Their bodies were dumped in the Shawnee neighborhood and set on fire.

Rhodes allegedly killed the two brothers because he feared they would tell police about his involvement in Jones' murder.

Rhodes is being held on a $1 million full cash bond.

https://www.wdrb.com/in-depth/louisv...a32e7900c.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Defense attorneys for triple-murder suspect Brice Rhodes argue against use of certain evidence

By WDRB News

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Defense attorneys for triple-murder suspect Brice Rhodes argued against the use of evidence found in one of two search warrants during a court hearing Thursday afternoon.

Rhodes was in court for a pretrial conference. He is accused of shooting and killing Christopher Jones in May 2016. Later that month, he allegedly killed 14-year-old Larry Ordway and 16-year-old Maurice Gordon. Police have said the two were killed at Rhodes' home in Clifton. Their bodies were dumped in the Shawnee neighborhood and set on fire.

Rhodes allegedly killed the two brothers because he feared they would tell police about his involvement in Jones' murder.

Louisville Metro Police carried out two search warrants of an apartment Rhodes shared with his mother, just hours a part. In court Thursday, his defense attorneys argued against using evidence found in the second search.

They argue the search was unfair because officers could have collected the same evidence the first time around and didn't. But despite the argument, Judge Julie Kaelin ruled the warrants will stand.

The defense also made a motion to rule out the possibility of Rhodes receiving the death penalty, but Kaelin didn't issue a ruling in that case Thursday.

In April, a Jefferson Circuit Court judge ruled Rhodes mentally competent to stand trial after hearing from witnesses. Rhodes was scheduled for trial in January 2022, but that was delayed after his defense asked for the competency evaluation, claiming their client had an "intellectual disability."

Rhodes' trial is now expected to begin in December. He's being held on a $1 million full cash bond.

https://www.wdrb.com/news/defense-at...a4ce6dc74.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Brice Rhodes won’t face death penalty in triple murder trial

By WAVE Staff

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WAVE) - The man arrested for the gruesome deaths of two teams and a man in 2016 won’t be facing the death penalty.

Brice Rhodes was arrested in 2016 for the deaths of Maurice Gordon and Larry Ordway in Louisville. The teens were stabbed to death and then set on fire.

Rhodes was also charged with the killing Christopher Jones a few weeks prior.

Although it was ruled that Rhodes was competent to stand trial, on Friday, a judge said he won’t face the death penalty for his triple murder trial.

The judge said Rhodes was found to be “intellectually disabled and has suffered from a serious mental illness for almost all of his life.”

That means the harshest sentence that Rhodes will now face is life without parole.

Jury selection for the trial is expected to begin on Dec. 11 and the trial will begin shortly after.

https://www.wave3.com/2023/10/27/bri...-murder-trial/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Intellectually disabled but was smart enough to eliminate witnesses after the target. It’s disgusting and an insult to the victims’ families and true intellectually disabled people
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Brice Rhodes found guilty on all counts in notorious 2016 triple murder case

By Rachel Smith
    Louisville Courier Journal

Brice Rhodes was found guilty on all counts Monday night in the murder of three people - including two teenage brothers who were brutally beaten and stabbed to death.

The Jefferson Circuit Court jury got the case about 5:30 p.m. following closing arguments and startling testimony in which Rhodes' alleged accomplices said he called for a vote on whether Larry Ordway, 14, and Maurice Gordon, 16, should live or die.

In their closing arguments, prosecutors asserted that Rhodes orchestrated the murders of the brothers in May 2016 because he feared they would "snitch" on him for the murder of Christopher Jones, 40, a few weeks earlier. Jones, prosecutors said, was killed by mistake because Rhodes thought he was another man with a bounty on his head.

But Rhodes’ defense told the jurors not to believe the prosecution’s key witnesses, Anjuan Carter and Jacorey "Corey” Taylor - cousins who both pleaded guilty to lesser charges related to the case. The defense earlier said they got sweetheart deals for implicating Rhodes and that Carter was the likely killer.

Prosecutor Elizabeth Jones Brown said Rhodes preyed on a “group of children” (the brothers, Carter and Taylor were between the ages of 14 and 17) whose admiration of Rhodes, an obscure local rapper, soon turned to fear.She said Ordway and Gordon were killed because Rhodes believed they would rat him out in Jones' murder.The prosecution said Carter's and Taylor’s recollections were corroborated by evidence, such as Gordon’s blood found on a discarded blanket.But in closing arguments defense attorney Tom Griffiths said, “Let’s talk about credibility for a second.” According to Griffiths, Carter and Taylor’s testimony had stark differences, such as how the 9 mm handgun that was allegedly used to kill Jones was purchased and how each of them voted when Rhodes asked whether Ordway and Gordon should be killed.Jones Brown argued the inconsistencies raised by the defense were inconsequential details difficult to recall seven years after the murders. When each took the stand, Carter's and Taylor’s testimonies were identical in the important details, Jones Brown said, in that they each said Rhodes was the driving force behind each murder and forced them to participate in the beatings and fatal stabbings of Ordway and Gordon.

Carter told the jury last week that he cast the lone vote for sparing the boys' lives. Taylor confirmed in testimony the next day that Rhodes put the teens' fates up for a vote but said none was taken and that he did not vote at all.

He said that he helped stab and beat Gordon to death at Rhodes' command, while Ordway listened to his half brother beg for his life.

Taylor said Rhodes told him earlier, "We've got to kill them all," after he heard they had told others that Rhodes fatally shot Jones.

The teens' bodies were found at an abandoned home 10 miles from the home they shared with their mother. Evidence suggested their killers attempted to burn their bodies, police said.

Besides the three murder charges, Rhodes was found guilty of tampering with evidence and abuse of Gordon's and Ordway's corpses.

Rhodes faces a maximum sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole.

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...s/71966164007/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Jury recommends life in prison for Brice Rhodes in 2016 triple murder case

By Alexis Mathews
    WLKY News

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — A jury has recommended three consecutive life sentences for a Louisville man convicted of a triple murder.

After a nearly two-week trial, Brice Rhodes was convicted of the 2016 slayings of three people, including two teenage brothers.

On Wednesday, the 33-year-old listened quietly as the sentencing phase continued.

Rhodes' intellectual disability and developmental delays were the focus of expert witness testimony.

The defense called psychologists who connected Rhodes' diagnosis of ADHD, bipolar disorder, and low IQ score to his life of crime.

His mental disability is also why he isn't eligible for the death penalty.

"He was described as quick to anger, and his mother at 15 rated him as functioning like a preschooler, essentially," said Joette James, an expert witness.

Prosecutors pushed back, attempting to disprove the correlation.

The state also called a psychiatrist to the stand, who evaluated Rhodes and testified he is not mentally impaired.

"He was never someone who needed special services. He could function fully with his peers, staff, throughout his nearly two months with us," said Dr. Timothy Allen.

Prosecutors argued for the harshest sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole. Meanwhile, the defense asked for leniency.

"I'm asking you to keep empathy of your heart when you decide what punishment to give him and have a little bit of hope for Brice," said Rhodes' defense attorney.

The jury recommended three consecutive life sentences without parole for each murder.

They also recommended five years for the tampering with physical evidence charge, and one year each for the abuse of corpse charges.

The victims' families were emotional at the outcome, and had differing views on the punishment.

The mom of the teenage brothers believes justice was served, but one of the women who has a child with Christopher Jones was not satisfied.

"He should've been put to death," said Jessica Martin. "He killed Chris for no reason and it's not enough. Now I'm taking care of my son by myself, and he does not have a daddy due to this man."

Prosecutors in the case tell WLKY they are relieved the years-long and stressful process has reached an end.

Rhodes' defense team says despite the outcome, they believe this was a win for them and Rhodes.

"She (the judge) excluded death in this case and everything since then has been a win in the Brice Rhodes case from my point of view," said Tom Griffiths. "We saved his life."

Rhodes' final sentencing date has been set for March 13 at 1:30 p.m.

https://www.wlky.com/article/brice-r...ville/46191658

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Brice Rhodes is 'pure evil,' lead detective in Louisville triple murder case says

By Stephen Johnson
    WDRB News

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Louisville Metro Police Detective Aaron Tinelli spent seven years investigating Brice Rhodes' triple murder case.

He interviewed Rhodes days after teenage brothers Maurice Gordon and Larry Ordway were murdered in 2016, attended every court case since then and hugged the boys' grandmother, Debbie Wren, earlier this month when Rhodes was found guilty of three murders.

"The hug that the grandmother gave me, that'll motivate you for years," Tinelli said.

Tinelli is the man who brought Rhodes to justice, but he said it was a team effort.

"I think that this case — in particular the horrific scenes and the just unbelievable ... evil that was involved in it — just truly honestly brought the best out and every single one of us," he said Friday.

Earlier this month, Rhodes was convicted of killing Christopher Jones as well as Gordon and Ordway in 2016. The charges included one count of tampering with physical evidence and two counts of abuse of a corpse in the brutal beating and stabbings of Gordon and Ordway.

After less than an hour of deliberation earlier this month, a jury recommended Rhodes spend the rest of his life in prison without the possibility of parole.

"Me personally, I looked at it as those are kids, and that's a devastation not just to the family but to the community," Tinelli said.

Rhodes, according to prosecutors, heard that Gordon, 16, and Ordway, 14, were telling family members about the Jones murder, so he brought them to his home on May 22, 2016. After the brothers' burned bodies were discovered in the backyard of a home in the Shawnee neighborhood, Tinelli questioned Rhodes.

"In 18 years of doing this job, I know evil," he said. "And that man is evil."

Testimony during the trial showed police found very little in an original search of Rhodes' home and it took a second search later when they found splotches of blood on his carpet, attorney Tom Griffiths told jurors. There was no video of the scene for either search.

Rhodes forced other teens to help kill the brothers and clean up the crime, which is why there wasn’t a bloody murder scene, Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney Elizabeth Jones Brown said in her closing statements.

Two of those men involved with the murders, teenage cousins Anjuan Carter and Jacorey Taylor, cut deals for lesser sentences and testified during the trial that Rhodes was the mastermind, forcing them to take part in the killings. After a brief scuffle, Gordon was tied up and a toboggan placed over his head, while Ordway was moved into a bathroom where he listened to his brother scream and "beg for forgiveness," Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney Critt Cunningham said in his opening.

Rhodes – and other men at the home – beat and stabbed Gordon, then rolled his body out of the way and brought Ordway in and "the process was started over," Cunningham told jurors.

The three then allegedly put the two brothers into a car and dumped them in the backyard of an abandoned house in the 400 block of River Park Drive, east of Shawnee Park, and burned the bodies. Carter has told police he stayed behind and cleaned up after the murders.

"Getting the justice that we deserve, the families deserve, this community deserves, is gonna make everybody sleep better," Tinelli said.

Rhodes had a history of outbursts in court, threatening at least one judge, accusing a prosecutor and another judge of having an affair, lashing out at several of his attorneys and calling several court officials racist. He was told by Jefferson Circuit Court Judge
    Julie Kaelin at the beginning of the trial that he would be removed from court or shocked by an ankle monitor if he is disruptive during his trial starting next week.

"Spitting on people, threatening judges' lives, that's violent," Tinelli said. "That's pure evil."

Tinelli said from 2016 to now, he's never seen any contrition from Rhodes.

"I've yet to see a single amount of remorse, and that's just a testament to the level of evil that we're dealing with," he said. "... I think there's probably more victims than that. I don't want to speculate."

Tinelli said he's happy with the outcome of the trial, but he had a message Friday for family members of the victims, some of whom were disappointed Kaelin took the death penalty off the table.

"I'm sorry it took so long," he said. "I'm sorry that you had to suffer through years and years of not knowing what we knew, that Brice Rhodes was guilty."

https://www.wdrb.com/news/crime-repo...24dc97f4c.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Brice Rhodes sentenced to life in prison for 2016 triple murder conviction

By Jason Riley
    WDRB News

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) – Nearly eight years after Brice Rhodes was charged with brutally murdering three people, including two teenage brothers, his case finally concluded Wednesday with a judge following a jury’s recommended sentence that he spend the rest of his life in prison without the possibility of parole.

"This has been by far one of the most tragic cases I've ever been involved in," Jefferson Circuit Court Judge Julie Kaelin said during the sentencing. "It really stands out for how profoundly sad it is on every level. ... Everything about this case is horrific."

In December, a jury deliberated for less than an hour before convicting Rhodes of the murders, one count of tampering with physical evidence, and two counts of abuse of a corpse in the shooting of Christopher Jones and brutal beating and stabbings of teenage brothers Maurice Gordon and Larry Ordway. Their bodies were burned.

The case stalled for years as Rhodes cycled through numerous attorneys, who Rhodes either refused to work with or threatened. He waited more than a year for a mental competency evaluation and the case languished through the pandemic when courts were shut down.

His bizarre outbursts in the courtroom, including threatening judges and attorneys, implying the lead prosecutor and a previous judge were having an affair and calling several court officials racists, angered family members of the victims and prompted even more publicity in the high-profile case.

On Wednesday, Kaelin told Rhodes it would be a "dishonor" not to follow the jury's recommendation and formally sentenced him to life in prison without the possibility for parole. Rhodes never said anything and quietly left the courtroom, in stark contrast to his behavior during much of the last eight years.

Kaelin had previously ruled that while Rhodes was competent to stand trial, he was ineligible for the death penalty, finding he has a documented history of serious mental illness or intellectual disability.

Defense attorney Tom Griffiths told the judge they will appeal the guilty verdict.

Rhodes’ attorneys had acknowledged in December that jurors had found Rhodes accountable for "horrible things" done in May 2016 but argued that they should show empathy and not lock him up for life in prison without parole.

"No matter what he did on his worst days, Brice is still a human being," said defense attorney Thaisa Howorth during the jury sentencing. "I'm asking you to have just a little bit of hope with Brice," who she said has struggled with childhood abuse, bipolar disorder and intellectual disability.

However, Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney Elizabeth Jones Brown told jurors to consider "the horrific nature of these murders” and noted this wasn't Rhodes' first criminal convictions, pointing out he had already been found guilty of assault, burglary, robbery and other charges before the murders.

"I don't think the family (of the brothers) should ever have to go to sleep again without knowing where Brice Rhodes is," Jones Brown said.

After the sentencing on Wednesday, Jones Brown said "it was a good feeling to bring justice" to the victims and their families.

Jackie Partee, the grandmother of one of the teens, told the judge that Rhodes treated the kids “like trash. … They was very good boys.”

She says she hopes Rhodes finds God while in prison.

“God says vengeance is mine," she said.

Debbie Wren, who is also the grandmother of one of the brothers, said she "wanted to hear that life sentence with no parole ever, so he can't hurt another child, anyone. He's evil, and he needs to be in prison."

Chastity Stoner, Christopher Jones' son's mother, told the judge her son has thrived despite Rhodes' actions.

"What he didn't cause is for my son to lose his mind," she said. "He didn't cause my son to drop out of high school. ... He caused my son to be a 4.0 GPA student, to get an offer from the University of Louisville football team."

During the trial, Jones Brown told jurors that eyewitnesses testified that in early May 2016, they saw Rhodes kill Jones, who he believed was another man that had a bounty out for his death.

Rhodes shot Jones on May 4, 2016, on South 41st Street. A co-defendant, Anjuan Carter said he was in the passenger seat, Gordon was the "getaway driver" and Rhodes and Ordway were in the back seat when the shooting occurred.

Jones died at the hospital.

Rhodes heard that Gordon, 16, and Ordway, 14, were telling family members about the murder, so he brought them to his home on May 22, 2016, according to testimony in the trial.

After a brief scuffle, Gordon was tied up and a toboggan placed over his head, while Ordway was moved into a bathroom where he listened to his brother scream and "beg for forgiveness," prosecutors told the jury.

Rhodes – and other men at the home – beat and stabbed Gordon, then rolled his body out of the way and brought Ordway in and the "the process was started over," according to the prosecution.

The three then allegedly put the two brothers into a car and dumped them in the backyard of an abandoned house in the 400 block of River Park Drive, east of Shawnee Park, and burned the bodies. Carter testified he stayed behind and cleaned up after the murders.

Two of those men involved with the murders, teenage cousins Carter and Jacorey Taylor, cut deals for lesser sentences and testified during the trial that Rhodes was the mastermind, forcing them to take part in the killings.

https://www.wdrb.com/in-depth/brice-...bb0cd6309.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information