Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gustavo Zavala-Garcia Sentenced to LWOP in 2016 TX Murder of 10-Year-Old Kayla Gomez-Orozco

Gustavo Zavala-Garcia Sentenced to LWOP in 2016 TX Murder of 10-Year-Old Kayla Gomez-Orozco

REPORT: East Texas Child Murdered by Previously Deported Illegal Alien

By Bob Price
    Breitbart News

Law enforcement officials in East Texas are reporting the alleged murderer of 10-year-old Kayla Gomez-Orozco is a previously deported illegal alien from Mexico.

Officials with the Smith County jail confirmed to Breitbart Texas that Gustavo Gonzalez, 24, is currently being held in the jail on an immigration detainer from Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers. Gonzalez was also confirmed to be a Mexican national by the jail official.

East Texas Matters reporter Michael Wesp reported an unnamed law enforcement official claimed that Gonzalez was previously deported in 2014 for a “violent crime.” Court records show that Gonzalez was arrested twice in 2014 on charges for assault causing bodily injury.

The previously deported criminal alien is also reported to be a family member of Kayla Gomez-Orozco, the young girl whose body was found on Saturday. The body of the young girl was found in a well at a home in Smith County Texas, according to Sheriff

Larry Smith. Gonzalez was initially reported to be Kayla’s uncle, but family members later clarified that he is a “cousin who acted like an uncle to Kayla.”

Kayla disappeared on Tuesday following a church service at the Bullard First Assembly Church. Her body was found wearing the same clothes on Saturday night in a well near a family member’s house.

The church were Kayla disappeared is located in Cherokee County. Officials with the Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office referred questions from Breitbart Texas to the FBI in Dallas. A spokesperson for the FBI was not immediately available Sunday afternoon to respond.

No motive for the homicide has been released by law enforcement officials.

Smith County jail records show that the arrest of Gonzalez was made by Texas Rangers assigned to assist Cherokee County in the investigation. Breitbart Texas reached out to the Texas Department of Public Safety for additional information. No spokesperson was immediately available for comment.

A vigil for the young East Texas girl is scheduled for Sunday evening at Jack Elementary School.

Gonzalez has been living in Bullard, Texas. He is currently being held on the immigration detainer as the Cherokee County and Smith County District Attorneys determine what additional charges will be filed.

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2016/...illegal-alien/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

pro pro
    What a terrible article firstly the people of Breitbart should practice the belief of innocent until guilty a more appropriate headline should have been "illegal alien charged with the murder of east Texas girl". That brings me too my second which is the fact that Breitbart had to highlight the fact that the man charged with an illegal so much. I mean 70% of that article is about how he is an illegal rather than the little girl who was murdered but Breitbart doesn't care about that girl all they want is another crime possibly committed by an illegal to sell that good for nothing wall. The reason they don't mention the girl much is because she us clearly Hispanic.

pro pro, I'm no fan of Breitbart, especially since Andrew Breitbart died.

But I think it's worth pointing out that Kayla Gomez-Orozco would be alive today if Gustavo Gonzalez had stayed deported.

Also, where in the article does the author mention the proposed wall? I didn't see anything about a wall.

With regard to your claim that the article doesn't "mention the girl much because she us [sic] clearly Hispanic," all the relevant facts are there, at least those available at the time the article was written.

If you look at a bunch of preliminary reports of murders such as this one (message 1 of many threads) you'll find that most of the articles have much more to do with the murderer and capture of same. And this is the case regardless of the race(s) of the victims and the murderers.

Quote Originally Posted by pro pro View Post
    What a terrible article firstly the people of Breitbart should practice the belief of innocent until guilty a more appropriate headline should have been "illegal alien charged with the murder of east Texas girl". That brings me too my second which is the fact that Breitbart had to highlight the fact that the man charged with an illegal so much. I mean 70% of that article is about how he is an illegal rather than the little girl who was murdered but Breitbart doesn't care about that girl all they want is another crime possibly committed by an illegal to sell that good for nothing wall. The reason they don't mention the girl much is because she us clearly Hispanic.
    I am not a fan of Breitbart news and their Alt-Right following, however upon looking at other articles I noticed that the illegal alien in question was kindly referred to as "A Mexican National". At least Breitbart doesn't white wash the story and try to down play the suspect's status as not only an illegal alien, but one that has a violent criminal record and has been deported previously.

You pose the question "why mention illegal alien at all". I say to you why not mention illegal alien?

Maybe you could ask the people who have been victims of crimes committed by "Illegals" how they feel about this article?
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Family member charged in death of 10-year-old girl

By WFAA.com Staff, David Goins
    KYTX, WFAA and KHOU.com, KHOU News

Authorities in Tyler charged a 24-year old man with capital murder in the death of a 10-year old girl that prompted an Amber Alert last week.

Gustavo Zavala-Garcia received a $10 million bond on Monday after detectives say he was responsible for the death of Kayla Gomez-Orozco.

The 4th grader was found in a well behind a home Saturday night in Bullard that Zavala-Garcia lived at, ending an exhaustive search that gripped much of East Texas for days.

Smith County Sheriff Larry Smith confirmed to WFAA on Monday that Zavala-Garcia was at the church where Kayla disappeared from on November 1.

"I've seen a lot of bad stuff but this is one of the worst," Smith said.

Smith says detectives continued to work the crime scene on Monday off FM2493, approximately 15 miles south of Tyler and were able to gather additional evidence from the well that led to the capital murder charge.

He says detectives do have a narrative of a possible motive they are working from, but will not release that to the public.

"We want a jury to hear that, and we don't want a change of venue," Smith said. "Smith County is not somewhere I would want to go in East Texas to commit a crime like this."

Zavala-Garcia was originally being held in the Smith County Jail on a Federal Immigration Customs detainer. Public records show he was arrested on assault charges in 2014.

Law enforcement sources told WFAA Zavala-Garcia was deported in 2014 but returned to Texas a short time later.

Officials said Sunday that a lead provided to law enforcement led to a search warrant being obtained. Kayla’s body was recovered after midnight.

“It was strictly a lead that was initiated by good investigative law enforcement,” Smith County Sheriff Larry Smith said.

Outside Jack Elementary in Tyler, where Kayla attended as a fourth grader, approximately 300 turned out for a vigil and prayer service Sunday night.

The brick pillars of the school and parking signs were adorned with bright pink ribbons, signifying Gomez-Orozco's favorite color.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/texas...ozco/349277179

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Family, community say final goodbyes to Kayla Gomez-Orozco

Several hundred people gathered Wednesday evening at Lanes Chapel United Methodist Church in Tyler as Kayla Gomez-Orozco was put to rest.

Friends, family, and community filled the room to say goodbye to the sweet little East Texas girl that touched so many hearts.

An inconsolable older brother, Kenneth Gomez-Orozco reminisced on the bond between he and his little sister.

"It breaks me to see my sister go," said Gomez-Orozco.

"Every night when I would come home from either work or school, she would wait on me, so that I could kiss her goodnight," he said.

Many mourning, but also celebrating a short, but beautiful life.

Kayla's uncle, Johnny Gonzalez, said Kayla was special.

"From the first moment until the last moment, she showed she was special," he said.

Many spoke of the 10-year-old who loved Jesus, loved to sing, and help her mother cook, and loved the color pink.

"She will continue being special, said Gonzalez. "Because she might not be with us physically, but she will forever live in our hearts," he said.

In the same way, she will live in the hearts of the entire community. A community that relentlessly shared her story, and helped search for her.

Gomez-Orozco shared a picture of the search, in which a red ray of light can be seen peeking through the clouds.

"This is early Saturday morning, some might say that's the rainbow, or the about to come out, but that happens to be the location where my sister was found.. she was making her way to heaven," said Kenneth.

Now, she's smiling down on all of us from heaven, just as she did on Earth.

"She transformed our lives," said Gonzalez.

http://www.cbs19.tv/news/local/final...ozco/350567775

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Officials release case details in Kayla Gomez-Orozco case

By Micah McCartney
    Bullard News

The arrest warrant for Gustavo Zalava-Garcia indicates that officials believe Kayla Gomez-Orozco was placed in a water well just 30 minutes after being reported missing from a Bullard church Thursday, Nov. 1.

Gomez-Orozco, of Tyler, was reported missing at approximately 8 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 1, from Bullard First Assembly of God church on Highway 69 S., after a prayer service that she and her mother attended.

According to witness reports, Gomez-Orozco was inside the lobby area of the church with other members of the church after the service ended. After talking to other church members, Gomez-Orozco’s mother was unable to locate her.

After issuing an AMBER Alert for Gomez-Orozco shortly after midnight Wednesday, Nov. 2, representatives from several local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies converged on the city of Bullard in an effort to locate the missing girl.

After working numerous leads for three days, law enforcement officials enlisted the help of the Bullard community, assisting investigators through the formation of several community-wide search parties Saturday, Nov. 5.

Despite the efforts of the search parties, Cherokee County Chief James Campbell, along with Smith County Sheriff Larry Smith, Smith County District Attorney Matt Bingham, and FBI Assistant Special-Agent in Charge Ryan Young announced at a press conference held Sunday, Nov. 6, that officials located the remains of Gomez-Orozco inside a water well at a residence in the 22000 block of Old Jacksonville Highway, approximately four miles from the last place she was seen alive.

The warrant in the investigation, which identifies Zavala-Garcia as an uncle of Gomez-Orozco’s, indicated that he “caused the death of an individual, namely, Kayla Gomez-Orozco, by homicidal violence, and the defendant was then and there in the course of committing or attempting to commit the offense of kidnapping of Kayla Gomez-Orozco.”

According to the warrant’s details, Zavala-Garcia stated that he arrived at Bullard First Assembly of God at approximately 7 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 1, staying about 30 minutes for the church’s service, and then left the church along with his three-year-old daughter.

The suspect also said that he returned to his house, located in the 22000 block of Farm-To-Market Rd. 2493 (Old Jacksonville Highway). Video surveillance of the area confirmed that his black 2006 Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck left the church’s parking lot about 7:35 p.m.

After leaving the church, Zavala-Garcia said he arrived at his residence and was inside the house with his wife, identified as Ester Zavala in the warrant, for a few minutes before receiving a call from Gomez-Orozco’s mother informing them of the child’s disappearance.

However, information received by investigators from a church member tells a different story than Zavala-Garcia told officials.

According to the warrant, the church member observed Zavala-Garcia, along with Gomez-Orozco and his three-year-old daughter, walk out of the sanctuary of the church as the church member entered the church building.

“Based on evidence located at the Suspected Place,” read the warrant, “investigators believed Suspected Party [Zavala-Garcia] took Victim [Gomez-Orozco] in his vehicle when he left the church.”

Officials interviewed Zavala-Garcia’s wife, who claimed that her husband returned home at approximately 8:04 p.m. saying that she had answered the phone and found out Gomez-Orozco was missing before he walked inside the house.

The warrant also says that the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Cellular Analysis Survey Team (FBI CAST) completed an analysis of call detail records received by Verizon Wireless on Wednesday, Nov. 2, determining that Zavala-Garcia’s cell phone connected with a cell tower located north of the church at 7:40 p.m. Seven minutes later, the phone connected with a cell tower in the vicinity of his residence.

According to the warrant, “investigators believe the 17 minutes of time difference between Suspected [Party’s] arrival [7:47 p.m.] and the time that Ester described Suspected Party entering the residence [8:04 p.m.] is when Suspected Party concealed the victim in the well.”

After agreeing to a consensual search of the residence by both Zavala-Garcia and his wife, the warrant indicated that “a child’s body with similar colored clothing, which was believed to be the victim, was located in a concrete pipe well on the property.”

Zavala-Garcia was given a consensual polygraph examination by officials, in which he answered “yes” to questions regarding causing the death of Gomez-Orozco. However, Zavala-Garcia later recanted his answer.

“Due to the inconsistencies in statements made by Suspected Party, cellular telephone record analysis, video surveillance, [and] locating the Victim in a well on the Suspected Place and confession to causing the death of the Victim,” according to the warrant, “sufficient probable cause exists that Suspected Party intentionally caused the death of the victim.”

Zavala-Garcia was booked into the Smith County Jail Sunday, Nov. 6 on an Immigration Detainer and later charged with one count of Capital Murder with bond set at $10,000,000, according to Smith County Jail records.

Jail records also indicate that Zavala-Garcia was arrested twice in 2014 for Assault Causing Bodily Injury. He was also held on an Immigration Detainer after his second arrest in 2014.

http://www.bullardnews.com/stories/o...co-case,104725

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

UPDATE: Gustavo Zavala-Garcia accused of sexually assaulting, killing Kayla Gomez-Orozco

By Emilia Guevara
    The Tyler Morning Telegraph

A Smith County grand jury has indicted Gustavo Zavala-Garcia on a charge of capital murder in the November death of 10-year-old Kayla Gomez-Orozco.

The indictment revealed he committed or was attempting to sexually assault her at the time. It further reveals severals ways he assaulted her including striking her with a blunt object, asphyxiating her and drowning her.

It says he impeded her air flow and blood flow by a means unknown to the grand jury.

Kayla’s body was found Nov. 5, four days after she went missing, in a well on the property where Zavala-Garcia, 24, lived in the 22100 block of Farm-to-Market Road 2493 (Old Jacksonville Highway) in Bullard.

Zavala-Garcia, who was related to Kayla by marriage, was reportedly among the last people to see her before she went missing from the foyer of Bullard First Assembly on U.S. Highway 69.

Her disappearance and subsequent death prompted a huge outpouring of support from the community, with hundreds turning out for a communitywide search the Saturday after she went missing.

However, the outcome was not as people had hoped. Kayla’s body was recovered from a well in the early morning hours of Nov. 6, five days after her disappearance.

Smith County Precinct 4 Justice of the Peace Mitch Shamburger held an inquest at the scene and ordered the body taken to the Southwestern Institute of Forensic Sciences in Dallas for an autopsy.

Officials have declined to release the cause of death to this point, but the arrest warrant affidavit sheds some light on the time frame of the alleged crime.

It reveals about 30 minutes passed between the time Kayla is believed to have gone missing and the time law enforcement officials believe she was placed in the well. Smith County Sheriff Larry Smith previously said she is believed to have died the night she went missing or early the next day.

The affidavit indicates Zavala-Garcia arrived at the church with his 3-year-old daughter at 7 p.m. and left 35 minutes later.

Investigators believe he placed Kayla in the well sometime between 7:47 p.m. and 8:04 p.m., according to the affidavit. This is based on the time cellphone records indicate Zavala-Garcia arrived at the property and the time his wife said he entered the residence. His wife was interviewed multiple times and investigators said they did not believe she was involved in the crime.

This is not the first time Zavala-Garcia has had a run-in with the law. In 2014, he was sentenced to 30 days in Smith County Jail on a Class A misdemeanor charge of assault causing bodily injury to a family member. He pleaded guilty to pushing, grabbing, striking and kicking his wife.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

http://www.tylerpaper.com/TP-News+Lo...la-gomezorozco

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Sheriff seeks change in jail procedures after incident

Smith County Sheriff Larry Smith said he would ask the Texas Commission on Jail Standards to allow the jail to keep certain inmates in handcuffs during state-mandated recreation, after a high-profile inmate charged with capital murder climbed atop an old basketball goal and refused to come down Friday afternoon.

Smith County Jail inmate Gustavo Zavala-Garcia, 24, who is charged with capital murder in the death of 10-year-old Kayla Gomez-Orozco, was removed from the roof of the Smith County Jail downtown after about 30 minutes.

At one point, Zavala-Garcia could be seen resisting and punching a jail lieutenant who attempted to bring him down.

Smith said the inmate was not at risk of escaping, but he put himself and officers in danger.

The Texas Rangers arrested Zavala-Garcia, and he was booked into the Smith County Jail on Nov. 6, after Kayla’s body was found in a well on property where he was living.

Smith said there had been no outbursts or incidents involving Zavala-Garcia prior to Friday afternoon, and he cited a recently changed procedure as a contributing factor in Friday’s incident.

Smith County Sheriff’s Office Public Information Officer Darrell Coslin said Zavala-Garcia had been on his scheduled recreation time, which is required by state law.

As recently as two weeks ago, the county kept certain inmates - those it deemed “an immediate threat” - in handcuffs during recreation, Smith said. Zavala-Garcia was one of those inmates.

However, during its most recent visit, the Texas Commission on Jail Standards told the county it needed to let all inmates out of handcuffs during recreation. So, it did.

Smith said to his knowledge this was the first time Zavala-Garcia had recreation without handcuffs, and this is what happened.

“We’ll be in contact with the jail commission to again express our concern about having to take handcuffs off of him,” Smith said.

Zavala-Garcia, who is being held in segregated housing (a one-person cell), has his recreation time alone in the confined courtyard on the roof of the jail. The area is entirely enclosed by a double chain-link, tension-grade fence, Smith said.

Two detention officers escort him from his cell to the courtyard and back each time he has recreation. The state commission requires a minimum of three hours of recreation per week for inmates. Smith said inmates usually go for one hour three times per week.

At some point in his recreation time, Zavala-Garcia climbed up the fence and onto framework attached to the roof that formerly held a basketball goal.

“He was taken up there for recreation and tried to climb out, but it’s totally enclosed, so he’s just on top of a basketball goal,” Smith reported during the incident. “He is not in any danger unless he jumps. If he does jump, we have people with suicide netting, and we’ve even put some mattresses down. Right now, we just want to wait him out.”

Once alerted to the incident, jail staff, Tyler fire and rescue and a crisis intervention officer responded to the scene. The officer tried to negotiate with Zavala-Garcia.

A ladder was set up so Zavala-Garcia could come down if he desired, and an inflatable airbag was placed under the area in case he fell. However, Zavala-Garcia refused to cooperate and come down, Coslin said.

At that point two people, one of them a jail lieutenant who had a helmet on, climbed up the ladder to try to remove the inmate, but Zavala-Garcia fought back, punching his arms and swinging his legs, before falling to the inflatable airbag and out of sight.

Coslin said the inmate would be taken to the jail’s medical ward to be examined. Smith said that was just to ensure he had no physical injuries. None were visible nor did Zavala-Garcia say he had any, Smith said.

After his initial arrest, Zavala-Garcia was on suicide watch and he remained on it with someone checking in on him every 10 minutes, Smith said.

Smith said the only thing the county planned to change about Zavala-Garcia’s jail confinement is keeping him in handcuffs during future recreation periods, if the state commission allows it.

“We’re going to revisit the way he does recreation with the jail commission,” Smith said, adding that Zavala-Garcia would not face any additional charges as a result of this incident.

Zavala-Garcia faces arraignment Tuesday in the capital murder case, though he may not have to appear in court if his attorney files a waiver of arraignment.

During the arraignment, the judge informs the defendant of the charges against them and the defendant enters a formal plea of guilty or not guilty.

If he is present, this would be the first court appearance for Zavala-Garcia after a Smith County grand jury indicted him Jan. 23. Six pre-trial hearings are scheduled in the case starting in April and going through September. The docket call and trial is scheduled for Oct. 2.

SAFETY

How do officials contain an inmate who has nothing to lose?

Retired Smith County Sheriff J.B. Smith held scores of high-risk inmates, some facing capital murder charges, during his 30-year tenure.

He said keeping inmates safe - from others and from themselves - is a sheriff’s hardest task.

“The responsibility of the sheriff when it comes to the jail is enormous,” said Smith, who retired in 2012. “It’s his No. 1 major concern. Inside that jail, you’ve got people with every problem you can imagine. It’s a 24-hour thing. There’s no rest from it.”

That’s especially true of inmates who are charged with capital crimes. They’re often despondent and desperate, he said.

“When you’re holding a capital suspect, they require a lot more supervision, for a number of reasons,” Smith said. “Often, it’s not just to protect them from other prisoners, but to protect them from themselves. We have a tendency as citizens to say ‘who cares?’ - but the sheriff has to care. That individual is their responsibility. We have to keep them safe and get them ready for trial.”

http://www.tylerpaper.com/TP-News+Lo...ecreation-time
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Suspect in murder of Kayla Gomez-Orozco waives right to arraignment

EAST TEXAS (KLTV) - A man suspected of murdering an East Texas girl has waived his right to an arraignment.

Gustavo Zavala-Garcia was set to be arraigned at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday in the 241st District Court in Tyler, according to Smith County judicial records.

Zavala-Garcia is charged with capital murder in the death of 10-year-old Kayla Gomez-Orozco, whose body was found inside a well on his property. Gomez-Orozco had been missing for four days at the time her body was found by law enforcement.

Suspects in Smith County crimes are arraigned once upon arrest, and again when indicted. Tuesday’s arraignment came after Zavala-Garcia was indicted by a Smith County Grand Jury in January.

On Friday, Zavala-Garcia became the subject of a rescue of sorts after he refused to climb down from the roof of a caged enclosure atop the Smith County Jail. The caged structure is used to provide physical activity for inmates.

After several hours, Zavala-Garcia came down after a lieutenant with the Smith County Jail met him in the rafters. No injuries were reported, and Sheriff Larry Smith said they do not believe it was an attempt to escape.

Zavala-Garcia is also being held on an immigration detainer according to Smith County Jail records.

According to the U.S. Department of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Zavala-Garcia illegally entered the U.S. at an unknown date and unknown location. ICE officers first lodged a detainer on Zavala-Garcia on Oct. 10, 2014, after he was convicted in Smith County for assaulting a family member.

He entered ICE custody on Oct. 21, 2014, and was released on bond the same day.

http://www.kltv.com/story/34555993/s...to-arraignment

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information