Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: State Supreme Courts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave from Florida View Post
    Good riddance.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

The article below is about the Ohio Supreme Court justice who always votes to overturn death sentences.

Ohio governor candidate boasts of sexual history with ‘approximately 50 very attractive females’

By Lindsey Bever and Marwa Eltagouri
    The Washington Post

An Ohio Supreme Court justice who recently declared his intention to run for governor defended “heterosexual males” Friday amid mounting accusations of sexual misconduct.

Justice William O’Neill took to Facebook on Friday morning to make a statement about what he described as the “national feeding frenzy about sexual indiscretions,” and in doing so he disclosed details about his sexual history.

“In the last fifty years I was sexually intimate with approximately 50 very attractive females,” O’Neill, a Democrat, wrote. “It ranged from a gorgeous blonde who was my first true love and we made passionate love in the hayloft of her parents barn and ended with a drop dead gorgeous red head from Cleveland.

“Now can we get back to discussing legalizing marijuana and opening the state hospital network to combat the opioid crisis.”

By Friday afternoon, after a storm of bipartisan condemnation from Ohio politicians, the post was deleted. Shortly before 6 p.m., O’Neill posted new comments.

“As an aside for all you sanctimonious judges who are demanding my resignation, hear this. I was a civil right lawyer actively prosecuting sexual harassment cases on behalf of the Attorney General’s Office before Anita Hill and before you were born,” O’Neill wrote.

“Lighten up folks. This is how Democrats remain in the minority,” he wrote.

In his latest Facebook post, O’Neill said he had made his initial comments in response to the allegations of sexual assault surrounding Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.). He wrote it was “morally wrong” for “the dogs of war to leap onto his back and demand his resignation.”

In an earlier interview with the Columbus Dispatch shortly after his first post went up, O’Neill mentioned the allegations surrounding Franken and Republican Senate candidate Roy Moore of Alabama. He told the Dispatch in a phone interview, “I’m a candidate for governor, and I assume I’m the next target.”

The initial Facebook post drew swift criticism from other Ohio judges — including the chief justice of the state’s Supreme Court.

“No words can convey my shock,” Ohio Chief Justice Maureen O’Connor said in a statement emailed to The Washington Post. “This gross disrespect for women shakes the public’s confidence in the integrity of the judiciary.”

Ohio Democratic Party Chairman David Pepper said O’Neill’s Facebook post was “terrible,” especially given its timing.

"We’re having a serious national conversation about rape culture and sexual harassment, and it’s crucial for men to take time to listen to women and consider their experiences and insights,” Pepper wrote on Twitter, adding, “Justice O’Neill’s Facebook comments both dehumanize women and do nothing but trivialize this important conversation, which is actually about harassment and abuse, not encounters between consenting adults.”

O’Neill could not immediately be reached for comment Friday by The Post. His campaign spokesman, Chris Clevenger, condemned O’Neill’s comments, calling them “both disturbing and misguided.” Clevinger said he was quitting the campaign.

The justice’s remarks came one day after broadcaster Leeann Tweeden publicly accused Franken of forcibly kissing her during a USO tour in 2006 and groping her breasts while she was sleeping on a plane during the trip home. Tweeden’s revelation was made shortly after an explosive congressional hearing on sexual harassment, which female lawmakers said is a pervasive problem on Capitol Hill.

O’Neill told the Dispatch that Tweeden should not have publicly accused Franken, as the senator “has accepted responsibility” — and called fellow Democrats’ calls for Franken to resign “outrageous.” He similarly questioned the timing of The Post’s extensive report last week detailing Moore’s alleged pursuit of teenage girls in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

“He’s in the middle of a Senate campaign,” O’Neill told the Dispatch.

O’Neill, who would not comment whether The Post should have written the story or whether he supports Moore in light of the accusations, said the accusations are a distraction that “trivializes the process” and diverts the race’s focus away from the issues.

Shortly after posting his statements to Facebook, O’Neill edited his comments to remove personal information about two of the women, according to the Dispatch.

The Facebook post isn’t the first time O’Neill stirred controversy in recent weeks. In late October, he announced his intention to run for governor in 2018 — but said he would hold his seat on the state Supreme Court until he submits his petitions for candidacy in February.

He wrote in the Star Beacon earlier this week that once his paperwork is filed, “I will resign from the Supreme Court. And not a day before. Here’s why”:

"In 2012, I was elected by over 2 million Ohioans to serve on the Supreme Court of Ohio. It has been a privilege, and nowhere will you find even a shred of suggestion that I have done anything other than a competent, impartial and professional job.

There are about 99 cases pending before the Court. I have participated in them, conducted the research and consulted with my colleagues. They are nearly ready to be released. To simply walk away from those matters would be grossly unfair to the litigants, and a violation of my oath of office … which I cherish. As I indicated this week, I have already voluntarily informed the Court I will not be sitting on any new cases from this point forward. That is the right thing to do.

When I file petitions to run for governor I will be a candidate for governor. Anything short of that act is constitutionally protected free speech, which has been ratified by none other than the late great Justice Antonin Scalia."

Following O’Neill’s Facebook post, lawmakers and political leaders slammed him for his “crass” comments; some also called for the judge to step down.

“There’s a very serious conversation going on right now in this country about sexual harassment and @BillForOhio’s crass post is ill-timed and dismissive at best. We have to be better than this,” Lt. Gov. Mary Taylor (R) said Friday on Twitter.

O’Neill’s four rivals for the Democratic nomination also called for him to drop out of the race. Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley (D) tweeted that “sexual harassment, degrading and devaluing women is not a joke. Justice O’Neill should resign.”

Democrat Connie Pillich, who is also running for governor, agreed the justice should resign, tweeting that “there’s nothing funny about sexual assault.” Pillich said O’Neill “has been a friend” and donated money to her campaign — money she now says she will be redistributing to women’s organizations.

Betty Sutton, another Democrat in the race for governor, said she was “appalled” by O’Neill’s comments.

“As a democrat I’m horrified he would belittle victims of sexual harassment/assault this way and as a woman I’m outraged he would equate sexual assault with indiscretion,” she wrote, adding, “He should resign immediately.”

O’Neill’s fourth rival, Sen. Joe Schiavoni (D), tweeted “a spontaneous run for governor and now this ridiculous Facebook post” lead him to believe it’s time for O’Neill to “hang it up.”

O’Neill confirmed to the Dispatch that he would drop out of the governor’s race if Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Director Richard Cordray chooses to run — now a possibility, the Dispatch reported, because of Cordray’s announcement that he will resign from his federal office by the end of the month.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a2c4484edb61

I hope this derails him so he can't commute death sentences in the future, but people honestly need to lighten up. That was a pretty funny statement by a candidate.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

August 14, 2018

Not a DP state but newsworthy

West Virginia lawmakers vote to impeach all 4 state Supreme Court justices

Associated Press

West Virginia lawmakers completed the extraordinary move of impeaching all four state Supreme Court justices Monday night for spending issues, including a suspended justice facing a 23-count federal indictment. The state House of Delegates voted to impeach Justice Allen Loughry on eight articles, setting the stage for a trial in the state Senate.

Beth Walker became the final justice to be impeached when an article was approved stating all four justices abused their authority. It said they failed to control office expenses, including more than $1 million in renovations to their individual offices, and not maintaining policies over matters such as working lunches and the use of state vehicles and office computers at home.

Walker had dodged impeachment earlier Monday night when lawmakers decided to overlook her $131,000 in spending on office renovations. A short time later, another article was withdrawn against Chief Justice Margaret Workman, who spent $111,000 in renovations.

Justice Robin Davis was impeached for $500,000 in office renovations. And lawmakers approved articles against Loughry for spending $363,000 in renovations to his office; having a $42,000 antique desk and computers, all owned by the state, at his home; lying to the House Finance Committee about taking home the desk and a $32,000 suede leather couch; and for his personal use of state vehicles.

Loughry, Workman and Davis also were impeached for their roles in allowing senior status judges to be paid higher than allowed wages. Lawmakers say the overpayments violated state law and stopped when they were challenged by the Internal Revenue Service.

Another impeachment article was withdrawn dealing with an accusation Loughry used state money to frame personal items at his office.

Minority Democrats on the House Judiciary Committee that approved the articles last week had tried to speed up the impeachment process in the hopes of beating an Aug. 14 deadline for arranging a special election in November if any justice is removed from office or leaves office. Instead, the committee took its time, even conducting a tour of the state Supreme Court offices earlier this month.

Republican Gov. Jim Justice will be allowed to appoint new justices to replace any who are impeached — with no requirement that they be from the same party as the incumbent.

Democrats have accused Republicans of attempting to wrest the court away from voters, who elected the current justices in nonpartisan elections.

Delegate Barbara Evans Fleischauer of Monongalia County said Democrats agreed all along there was enough to recommend Loughry's impeachment. But she said going after the other justices "was a power grab, was a takeover of the court and using the impeachment process to take over another branch of government."

"We're taking away from the people," she said

Some legislators said they didn't support impeaching any justice for wasteful spending, only for articles pertaining to lying, cheating or stealing.

But John Shott, a Mercer County Republican who chaired the House Judiciary Committee hearings that drew up the impeachment articles, asked whether there is public confidence in the court, and if not, "we need to take action to try to rebuild that trust."

Several lawmakers noted the Supreme Court has a separate budget and is currently allowed to spend as it sees fit. But Shott said the court should spend that money wisely "and for the benefit of its citizens."

A proposed constitutional amendment this fall would bring the state courts' budget partly under legislative control.

Loughry, who wrote a 2006 book chronicling West Virginia political corruption, was indicted in June on 23 counts of mail fraud, wire fraud, lying to federal law enforcement, witness tampering and obstruction of justice. Justice and legislative leaders have asked him to resign. Loughry has not responded and did not testify at the committee hearings.

One impeachment article accused Loughry of lying to the House Finance Committee in January about his involvement in his office renovations, including a custom-designed wooden-inlay map showing all 55 West Virginia counties embedded in the floor.

Loughry was suspended earlier this year. Justice Menis Ketchum retired and agreed to plead guilty to a federal wire fraud count involving the personal use of state-owned vehicles and fuel cards.

A special election already is set in November to fill the remainder of Ketchum's term.

Circuit judge Paul T. Farrell has been sworn in to act as the court's chief justice for the Senate trial, whose timeline is uncertain. The court's fall term starts in early September. In the event that one or more justices is on trial in the Senate, the court said last week it would hear all cases on the docket as scheduled.

The last time the Legislature was involved in similar proceedings was 1989, when state Treasurer A. James Manchin was impeached by the House of Delegates after the state lost $279 million invested in the bond market. Manchin resigned before the state Senate took up the impeachment measure. He was never charged and the state recovered $55 million from lawsuits against nine New York brokerage firms involved in the losses.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/west-vi...ourt-justices/

Thanks for the post Mike. WV has been trying for years to bring the DP back.
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

I hope to see that WV evolve back into a DP state. What does the governor or the WV Supreme Court have to do to, to bring back the death penalty in a reformed unanimous judicial vote? Assuming the Senate Committee would approve of such a move, it could be years for a bill to come to fruition.

Senior Member Frequent Poster Shep3's Avatar
    Well with the new GOP lead legislative branch and gov and hopefully a GOP dominated court a new DP law can be passed and then any liberal lawsuits will be rejected by the court.

Senior Member CnCP Addict johncocacola's Avatar
    Sadly, while we have a republican president who's putting pro death penalty judges on our federal bench, it's likely to sweep the democrats into power in a lot of states that can either weaken/abolish the death penalty(Washington State, New Hampshire, Florida) and tilt the state supreme courts to the left, further weakening the death penalty.

It is frustrating that Governors wield the power to issue moratoriums and the Legislatures do nothing to stop it in any of the states. Texas and Georgia have the best laws limiting the ability of a rogue Governor. I believe in Florida, the Governor needs the majority of the Cabinet to concur in reducing a death sentence. I have my own opinion on how the Governors of Florida handle their secret clemency proceedings.
    So much for the highly touted "Timely Justice Act." If Gillum beats DeSantis, there won't be executions for years. Gillum will authorize a study and it will drag out for years like Pennsylvania.
    In addition to that, there are several justices on the Florida Supreme Court set to retire soon.

Quote Originally Posted by johncocacola View Post
    Sadly, while we have a republican president who's putting pro death penalty judges on our federal bench, it's likely to sweep the democrats into power in a lot of states that can either weaken/abolish the death penalty(Washington State, New Hampshire, Florida) and tilt the state supreme courts to the left, further weakening the death penalty.
    Simmer down Darlin' Strong DP states have the vote of the citizens. It will never be abolished. All state Supreme Courts are not appointed by said Governor ex.. KANSAS

Quote Originally Posted by Dave from Florida View Post
    It is frustrating that Governors wield the power to issue moratoriums and the Legislatures do nothing to stop it in any of the states. Texas and Georgia have the best laws limiting the ability of a rogue Governor. I believe in Florida, the Governor needs the majority of the Cabinet to concur in reducing a death sentence. I have my own opinion on how the Governors of Florida handle their secret clemency proceedings.
    So much for the highly touted "Timely Justice Act." If Gillum beats DeSantis, there won't be executions for years. Gillum will authorize a study and it will drag out for years like Pennsylvania.
    In addition to that, there are several justices on the Florida Supreme Court set to retire soon.
    Y'all got some shit going on down there Dave. How did the vote go yesterday?
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information