Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Otis Tyrone McKane - Texas Death Row

Grand Jury Indicts McKane for Capital Murder

Grand jury indicts Otis Tyrone McKane on a capital murder charge in the death of Det. Benjamin Marconi.

https://twitter.com/elizabeth2863
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

DA to seek death penalty against accused killer of SAPD Det. Marconi

Otis McKane, 32, charged in 2016 ambush killing outside police headquarters

By Dillon Collier
    KSAT News

SAN ANTONIO - Bexar County District Attorney Nico LaHood confirmed Friday that he will seek the death penalty in the murder trial of the man accused of killing a veteran San Antonio Police Departmentdetective outside of public safety headquarters in late 2016.

As recently as last November, which marked the one year anniversary of Detective Ben Marconi's death, LaHood said he was reviewing the case to determine whether or not to pursue the death penalty against Otis McKane, 32.

McKane is accused of shooting Marconi twice in the head on Nov. 20, 2016, as the detective worked on paperwork inside a patrol cruiser downtown.

Surveillance video showed a car driven by McKane circle Marconi's patrol unit twice before the ambush killing, investigators previously said.

McKane was arrested in East Bexar County the following day after a massive manhunt.

He was indicted for capital murder of a police officer in February 2017, and remains in custody at the Bexar County Jail.

McKane is tentatively scheduled to go to trial Feb. 28.

LaHood has previously said that he intends to try the case himself.

Marconi, 50, from Floresville, was a 20-year veteran of SAPD and a father of two.

https://www.ksat.com/news/da-to-seek...pd-det-marconi
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    Detective Marconi's accused killer makes first court appearance

According to the district attorney's office, the prosecution will seek the death penalty.

KENS5

San Antonio — The man accused of killing a San Antonio police detective back in 2016 made his first court Wednesday morning.

Otis Tyrone McKane,32, has been charged with capital murder in the ambush-style shooting that claimed the life of Detective Marconi on November 20, 2016.

Officials believe McKane randomly shot the detective, who was sitting inside of his SAPD patrol car outside of headquarters downtown.

McKane reportedly shot Detective Marconi twice in the head. The 20-year veteran detective was transported to San Antonio Military Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.

McKane said he was having challenges against the court system at the time because of a custody battle.

According to the district attorney's office, the prosecution will seek the death penalty.

The hearing today was a court conference. McKane was expected to return to court sometime next year.

https://www.kens5.com/article/news/l.../273-579285306
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

New DA to seek death penalty against accused killer of SAPD detective

Otis McKane charged with capital murder in slaying of Detective Benjamin Marconi

By Dillon Collier
    KSAT San Antonio

SAN ANTONIO - The Bexar County District Attorney's Office confirmed Tuesday that prosecutors will seek the death penalty against Otis McKane, the man accused in the ambush killing of San Antonio police Detective Ben Marconi outside police headquarters in late 2016.

McKane is accused of shooting Marconi twice in the head in November 2016, as the detective worked on paperwork inside a patrol cruiser downtown.

Previous District Attorney Nico LaHood indicated in January 2018 that his office would pursue the death penalty in the case, but he was voted out of office two months later and his term expired at the end of 2018.

It remained unknown until now whether new District Attorney Joe Gonzales would also seek the death penalty.

Marconi, 50, from Floresville, was a 20-year veteran of SAPD and a father of two.

McKane remains in jail awaiting trial.

https://www.ksat.com/news/new-da-to-...pd-det-marconi

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Trial date set for man accused of killing Detective Benjamin Marconi

A trial scheduling order has been released in the capital murder case of Otis McKane, who is accused of killing San Antonio police Detective Benjamin Marconi.

McKane, 35, is accused of shooting Marconi to death at point blank range as Marconi sat in his patrol car outside police headquarters on Nov. 20, 2017. McKane was arrested the following day and charged with capital murder.

The district attorney plans to seek the death penalty for McKane. His trial is set to begin on April 27.

The 1st pretrial hearing is set for Jan. 24.

“They’re the most complex criminal cases that we deal with,” said regional administrative Judge Sid Harle, who is a veteran attorney that has served as both prosecutor and judge in death penalty cases.

The hearings will be followed by a lengthy jury selection process in which jurors will be interviewed individually after completing questionnaires.

“You know their feelings about the death penalty,” Harle said. “You know the chances of them being able to qualify based upon their beliefs.”

Jury selection could take up to 6 weeks.

Defense attorney Paul Goeke, though not involved in the McKane case, was the defense attorney in the Mark Gonzalez death penalty case.

Gonzalez was sentenced to death for the execution-style shooting of Bexar County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Kenneth Vann in 2011.

Goeke said that the lengthy pretrial process is justified, given the high life or death stakes.

“It gets the kind of attention that you would expect it would get, and that’s time, time, time,” he said.

(source: KSAT news)

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Jury selection begins in San Antonio for man accused in brutal shooting of police detective inside patrol vehicle

Otis Tyrone McKane, 33 looks around the courtroom Thursday, May 9, 2019, during a bail hearing. McKane is currently waiting trial on one count of capital murder of a police officer, accused of shooting Detective Benjamin Marconi on Nov. 20, 2016. The judge denied bail.

Jury selection is expected to begin Friday in the capital murder trial of a San Antonio man accused of killing a 20-year veteran of the San Antonio Police Department more than 3 years ago.

Otis Tyrone McKane, 34, is charged with killing Detective Benjamin Marconi, 50. On Nov. 20, 2016, the officer was working an overtime shift on patrol when he pulled over a motorist in front of Public Safety Headquarters shortly before noon. As Marconi sat in his patrol vehicle, a man approached him from behind and shot him twice in the head, killing him.

Security camera video captured McKane at police headquarters the day Marconi was shot. The next day, McKane was spotted on video again, this time entering the Bexar County Courthouse to get married.

(source: San Antonio Express-News)

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Accused cop killer's trial to be postponed amid coronavirus concerns

Otis McKane is charged with capital murder of detective Benjamin Marconi. The Bexar County District Attorney's Office said they will seek the death penalty. The capital murder trial of the man accused of killing San Antonio police detective Benjamin Marconi in 2016 will be postponed for a month after judicial leaders on Friday suspended jury service and trials.

Judge Ron Rangel, the administrative district court judge who is also presiding over the case, initially said Otis McKane's trial would continue as scheduled but in a text message Friday afternoon, Rangel said he would suspend the trial for 30 days.

Jury selection, which can take several weeks, began in McKane's case last week. Rangel said they will pick up with the same panel after 30 days.

Bexar County District Attorney Joe Gonzales said in 2019 he would pursue the death penalty in McKane's case.

"When I ran for District Attorney in 2018, I promised the citizens of Bexar County that I would seek the death penalty only in the worst of the worst cases. The facts of this case meet that standard. After months of reviewing all of the evidence in this case, as well as meeting with and considering the wishes of Detective Marconi's family, my capital crimes committee and I have elected to seek the death penalty. This decision was made after much debate about the options available to me and I believe that the cold and calculating nature of the defendant's conduct in this case deserves the death penalty."

McKane is alleged to have killed Marconi in an ambush-style attack outside of San Antonio Police headquarters in November 2016. McKane confessed to killing Marconi, saying he was angry with the police for not helping with his custody battle.

"Whatever motive was behind the shooting, it doesn't matter," Marconi's daughter, Jacy Lewis, said last week.

It was announced earlier in the day on Friday that all jury trials in Bexar County would be suspended until April 16.

(source: KENS news)

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

That sucks. He’s definitely going to death row eventually but I guess we have to wait
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Jury selection to resume in capital murder trial of accused cop killer

Jury selection delayed due to pandemic in Otis McKane trial

By Paul Venema
    KSAT San Antonio

SAN ANTONIO – Jury selection in the capital murder trial of a 31-year-old man charged in the execution-style shooting death of a San Antonio police officer will resume Oct. 26, according to 379th District Court Judge Ron Rangel.

“This just seemed to be the right time,” Rangel said Monday. “The courthouse has slowed with in-person hearings and we can go slow.”

Jury selection in a capital murder trial in which the death penalty is being sought by the district attorney normally takes about five weeks to complete, Rangel said. “Picking this jury will take about 3 times longer than usual,” he said.

In early March, prospective jurors had completed questionnaires in the trial of Otis McKane, but the pandemic set in and jury selection was halted. McKane is accused of shooting San Antonio Police Department Detective Ben Marconi as he sat in his patrol car outside Public Safety Headquarters on the morning of Nov. 21, 2016.

Rangel explained that COVID-19 safety protocol will be in place during jury selection.

“We’re to make sure that between every juror everything in the courtroom is cleaned in the courtroom,” he said. “Making sure that we follow all protocol as it relates to safety.”

Rangel said each prospective juror will also be allowed to share any COVID-19 related concerns.

Testimony in McKane’s trial is not expected to begin until early 2021.

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2020...ed-cop-killer/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Otis McKane on trial for execution-style killing of SAPD Detective Benjamin Marconi

First death penalty case in Bexar County Courthouse in five years

By Alyssa Medina and Paul Venema
    KSAT News

The trial of Otis Tyrone McKane, 35, is the first death penalty case in the Bexar County Courthouse in five years.

McKane is accused of shooting and killing San Antonio Police Detective Benjamin Marconi in 2016.

The trial was expected to begin in April 2020 but was put on hold due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Jury selection in the case is now underway.

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2020...jamin-marconi/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information