Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Otis Tyrone McKane - Texas Death Row

Otis Tyrone McKane - Texas Death Row

Detective Benjamin Marconi

SAPD officer shot, killed near police headquarters

SAN ANTONIO –- The officer shot and killed outside the San Antonio Police headquarters Sunday morning has been identified.

In a press conference Sunday, SAPD Chief William McManus confirmed that Detective Benjamin Marconi, 50, was the officer who was killed during a traffic stop on Sunday.

Marconi was a 20-year veteran of the force.

Authorities responded to the scene at 11:40 a.m. on West Nueva Street and Santa Rosa Street, SAPD Chief McManus said.

McManus said Marconi pulled over a vehicle outside of the Public Safety Headquarters. While he was inside his vehicle writing a ticket, a black vehicle pulled up behind him.

The driver of that vehicle got out, walked up to Marconi’s driver-side window and shot him in the head, McManus said.

Then the suspect reached into the window and shot Marconi a second time, he said.

The suspect then got back in his car and pulled away. Police believe the suspect’s vehicle was a black Toyota or Nissan sedan.

Police said Marconi was pronounced dead at San Antonio Military Medical Center around 12:30 p.m. Sunday.

McManus said the suspect is a black male around five-foot-seven to six feet in height, wearing a gray sweatshirt and black baggy pants. The suspect also has a beard.

Police said they do not know what the motive for the shooting was but are looking into every possible reason.

Chief McManus said in the press conference that they do not know if there was a connection between the car Marconi stopped and the shooter.

Until further notice, SAPF officers won't conduct traffic stops alone. They must have cover, said McManus in the press conference.

This is a capital murder case.

http://www.kens5.com/news/local/sapd...n-sa/354247590
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Related:

St. Louis police officer hospitalized after ambush shooting

A St. Louis police sergeant was rushed to a hospital Sunday evening after being shot twice in the face.

St. Louis Metropolitan Police Chief Sam Dotson said the officer was in critical but stable condition. He was talking to investigators and was expected to survive.

KTVI reported that the shooting occurred in south St. Louis at approximately 7:30 p.m. local time.

The officer was sitting in his car at an intersection with the windows rolled up when a silver vehicle pulled up. Someone inside the car opened fire at least twice. Bullets broke through the glass and struck the officer.

Dotson said the officer was not responding to a call and was targeted because he was sitting in a marked police vehicle.

"He didn't have any chance to react to this threat," the chief said of the injured officer.

The officer was not immediately identified, but St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay told reporters that he was married and had three children.

Investigators were searching the area for a suspect and were cavassing for video, Dotson said. The chief added that officers were temporarily asked to go on patrol in pairs.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/11/20...-shooting.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Suspect who fatally ambushed an officer Sunday morning entered SAPD’s downtown headquarters hours before shooting Det. Benjamin Marconi

SAPD: Suspect entered police HQ hours before ambush killing of officer, 'uniform was the target'

By Kolten Parker and Tyler White
    mysanantonio.com

SAN ANTONIO — The man police believe fatally ambushed an officer Sunday morning entered SAPD’s downtown headquarters hours before shooting Det. Benjamin Marconi in his patrol car nearby, officials said at a press conference Monday morning.

SAPD Chief William McManus said the suspect, now the target of a massive manhunt, entered the downtown headquarters at 315 S. Santa Rosa around 7:45 a.m.

About four hours later, police say, the suspect approached the 20-year SAPD veteran's car on the south side of the building as he carried out a traffic stop on another driver and shot him twice through the passenger window of Marconi's patrol cruiser.

"I think the uniform was the target," McManus said. “...We consider this suspect to be extremely dangerous to the police and the public."

RELATED: 13 things to know about the fatal shooting of SAPD Det. Benjamin Marconi

Surveillance footage released by police Monday morning shows a dark-skinned man, who police have described as approximately 5 feet 7 inches to 6 feet tall, pacing out front of police headquarters before entering the building.

McManus said the suspect spoke to a clerk for around 20 seconds before leaving. McManus said no officers were in the building at the time, but refused to elaborate on the interaction, citing an ongoing investigation.

Officials released few other details on the suspect, saying they're not sure whether he is from the area and warning people to report any sightings to police.

The suspect was driving a black Mitsubishi Galant with chrome wheels when he pulled up behind Marconi before opening fire, police said.

Local police, in coordination with federal agencies, have questioned a number of individuals, including the driver who was being pulled over by Marconi, since the incident, but all of have been released, McManus said.

McManus said the department is encouraging officers to pair up when they patrol neighborhoods and respond to 911 calls, although it’s not required.

MORE: SAPD officers who have died in the line of duty

The San Antonio Police Department headquarters is a multi-story building located on the corner of Santa Rosa Avenue and Nueva Street. The building has two sets of glass doors that lead to a spacious lobby with couches, an information center and a security check, which leads to the rest of the building. The information center, where the suspect is seen in video surveillance talking to a clerk, is enclosed in glass.

Crime Stoppers is offering up to $10,000 for information leading to the arrest of a suspect in the capital murder, while Texas Gov. Greg Abbott announced Monday morning his office is offering an additional $15,000 for that information.

McManus described the situation as everyone’s "worst nightmare."

"It's always difficult, especially in this day and age, where police are being targeted across the country," McManus said.

http://m.mysanantonio.com/news/local...photo-11841900

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

SOURCES: Police make arrest in murder of SAPD Det. Benjamin Marconi

SAN ANTONIO -- Police have made an arrest in the murder of San Antonio Police Det. Benjamin Marconi, multiple sources confirmed to KENS 5 Monday.

Police identified him as Otis Tyrone McKane, 31. McKane has a criminal record and was in a different car than the one he allegedly committed the crime in.

Sources began reporting the arrest Monday just before 4:30 p.m. The suspect was reportedly captured near an overpass at Interstate 10 and FM 1516 in far east Bexar County, near Converse.

Det. Marconi was shot twice in the head while sitting in his patrol car outside of police headquarters late Sunday morning. He was taken to SAMMC where he was pronounced dead.

Marconi was a 20-year veteran of the department.

Further details on the suspect or a possible motive were not immediately available. Refresh this page for the latest information.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/sourc...coni/354672796

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Accused police officer killer: ‘I lashed out at somebody who didn't deserve it'

Otis McKane says he has been involved in custody battle

By Chris Shadrock
    KSAT News

SAN ANTONIO - The man police say shot and killed a San Antonio police detective on Sunday morning faced the media cameras for the first time Monday.

Detective Benjamin Marconi was shot and killed Sunday outside Public Safety Headquarters while writing a traffic citation.

Otis McKane was arrested Monday afternoon.

McKane mentioned he was involved in a custody battle. He also said he was mad a society for not letting him see his son. When asked why Marconi was responsible for not letting him see his son McKane said, "I've been though several custody battles and I was upset at the system I was in and I lashed out at somebody who didn’t deserve it.”

When asked ‘Do you have anything to say to his (Detective Marconi) family?’ McKane replied, “I am sorry.”

The last question McKane was asked, “You were upset and took it out on someone?” “Yes sir,” he replied.

Marconi was a father of two and 20-year veteran of the force.

The family of slain San Antonio police Detective Benjamin Marconi on Monday released the following statement:

"At this time, the Marconi family would like to give thanks from the bottom of our hearts for the outpouring of support, prayers and love we have received. At this time, we would appreciate privacy to mourn the loss of a wonderful father, brother, grandfather, friend and last but not least, a peace officer. Thank you to the San Antonio community and nation as a whole for your support."

http://www.ksat.com/news/accused-pol...nt-deserve-it#

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Detective Benjamin Marconi: A smiling grandfather and community protector

Mourning: Kin, friends knew happy, helpful man

By Silvia Foster-Frau and Alia Malik
    San Antonio Express-News

Growing up, Detective Benjamin Marconi was both energetic and introspective.

In one moment, he would run through rooms in the house, earning him the nickname “the tornado” by his grandfather. Alternately, he was quiet and collected, praying for his family on his own accord. When he was 7 or 8 years old, he wanted to be a priest, his aunt said.

“He was so loving, so caring. Ever since he was a little boy, he would pray for everyone. If he knew somebody was sick or even if they weren’t, he would pray, for everyone,” said Estela Ayala, 67.

And now, she said, she’s praying for him and the rest of their family. Marconi, a San Antonio police officer and detective in the Special Victims Unit, was shot and killed while writing up a ticket in his patrol car near police headquarters downtown Sunday.

On Monday afternoon, authorities announced the arrest of Otis Tyrone McKane, 31, who is accused of pulling up behind Marconi’s car, approaching the passenger window and shooting the 50-year-old detective in the head. Then he leaned in and shot a second round, authorities said. McKane was taken into custody around 4 p.m. Monday. A motive for the killing was not immediately known.

A father, Marconi left behind his adult-age children, Jacy Lewis Marconi and Dane Gregory Marconi. He is the first San Antonio officer to be killed in the line of duty this year. His slaying comes amid heightened concerns for police officers’ safety across the nation. On Sunday, three other officers were shot in separate shootings: two in Missouri and one in Florida.

Marconi’s immediate family declined to comment, citing the ongoing investigation, but he was remembered by aunts and friends as an upbeat protector of the community and anyone in need.

“I always knew he was going to be something very special,” said Elsie McGuire, his aunt and Ayala’s sister. “He had this beauty about him that was always with people — working with people, talking to people. He was always being there. I knew when he became a policeman, it was like that’s his calling. To protect others. And that’s what he loved. That’s the biggest thing he loved, doing his job.”

An officer for 20 years, Marconi took protecting the community very seriously — on and off duty. Former state Sen. Leticia Van de Putte was a longtime friend of Marconi — they met in the late 1990s through mutual friends at a birthday party at a club, she said. Later, during her failed campaign for lieutenant governor, he worked privately for her as a security guard.

Always keeping safety in mind, Van de Putte said, Marconi would keep an eye on people at bars whom he deemed unfit to drive.

“He was always the first one to tell somebody, ‘I’m taking your car keys away. Time to stop.’ He never stopped being the protector, even in a social situation,” Van de Putte said.

And he tried to pass that on to her grandchildren.

“He was so good with little ones. He would say, ‘You make good choices, because I have to deal with people that don’t make good choices, and then they have to go to the big time-out. You know what the big time-out is, don’t you?’” she said.

Marconi was described as a private man. He didn’t use Facebook, though two years ago he took up Twitter, where he shared Human Rights Campaign posts, police advocacy notices and LGBT community information. His Twitter profile is a quote from Maya Angelou: “The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”

His aunts and his friend Mike Bobo, owner of WD Deli, called Marconi genuine and generous. When they picture him, they see him wearing the expression he wore most: a full-faced, squinty-eyed smile.

“My nephew Ben was the most lovable person you could think of. He always had a smile on his face, never had any bad feelings or words to say about anybody. Nobody,” Ayala said.

“You come across people in your life that will judge or demean or say things about other people jokingly or not,” Bobo said. “He would never be that person. He’s just the nicest guy. He was very much a do-the-right-thing kind of guy.”

Marconi kept in impeccably good shape: His Twitter posts detailed how many miles he ran, for example. Last week, Bobo said he saw him eating healthy at, of all places, Luby’s.

“He was a very health-conscious guy. Like, at Luby’s, I’m eating mashed potatoes and gravy, and he’s eating some meat and vegetables,” Bobo said.

While Marconi took law enforcement and physical fitness very seriously, he also had a playful side. When Van de Putte was elected president pro tem in the Senate and had to occasionally fill in for the governor, he’d text her and ask, “How’s the governor?” Van de Putte said.

And to Ayala, he’d sometimes call her “auntie dearest,” referring to the movie “Mommie Dearest,” or even “auntie dearest without the wire hanger,” Ayala said.

“He used to make faces, he was always trying to be a clown. He was a happy person. He didn’t deserve to die the way he died, nobody does. Nobody deserves that,” Ayala said.

Marconi moved in with his father, who was also a police officer, during his dad’s final months of life and helped fix one of his aunt’s roofs, Ayala recalled. When McGuire needed surgery and was disabled, he found a program that would offer her a free caretaker after surgery.

Marconi texted his aunts regularly, they said, even if it was just to say he was thinking of them.

“The last one he sent me was a selfie because I was bragging about him. I mean how could you be in a church gathering and not brag about him? Because he was so handsome,” Ayala said.

“I texted him back and said ‘Well, all these ladies want your number now,’” she said.

Marconi’s death sent a shock wave of grief throughout his family, the police community and his friends. An outpouring of support followed from local, state and national leaders, including Mayor Ivy Taylor, Gov. Greg Abbott, outgoing Bexar County Sheriff

Susan Pamerleau, U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz and the New York Police Department.

“I just somehow think that the world is off its axis,” Van de Putte said, referring to Marconi’s death and the other three nationwide.

McGuire said she already misses him. She lives alone near Austin, and his texts were a source of love and connection.

“When I hear my phone give that little one beep, it means it’s him,” McGuire said. “And it’s not going to be him anymore. I’m going to miss that. But I know he’ll still be with me in prayer all the time. He will be.”

The last time she saw him was last month at the funeral of his uncle Hector Ayala, who had worked as a San Antonio police officer for 37 years. Marconi was playing with his grandson, Mason Marconi, “just as proud and happy as can be,” McGuire said.

“I love him so dearly, and I always will,” she said. “I surely do hope that all the other officers serving us can be safe and never be harmed in any way like this. Ever.”

The San Antonio Police Officers Association has set up a memorial fund in Marconi’s name at Generations Federal Credit Union. To donate, go to any bank branch or online at www.mygenfcu.org/MarconiMemorial

http://www.expressnews.com/news/loca...d-10629182.php

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Related:

Legislation Promises Stiffer Punishment For Targeting Police Officers

By Ryan Poppe
    tpr.org

New legislation filed at the state capitol aims to provide stiffer punishment for those caught targeting police and first responders.

Following the shooting of San Antonio Police Det. Benjamin Marconi, the city's police Chief William McManus said that it was obvious, the uniform, not the officer was the target.

It's that idea that has spurred the creation of new legislation ahead of the January session that would enhance crimes against a police officer.

Charlie Wilkinson is the executive director for the Combined Law Enforcement Associations of Texas also known as CLEAT. Wilkinson says CLEAT is in support of the bill because it creates a new class of hate crimes when police officers and first responders are the intended target.

"This was Detective Marconi doing his job and filling in in a place where he was needed and he was targeted simply because he was a police officer," Wilkinson says.

The bill's author, Dallas Republican State Rep. Jason Villalba says it wouldn't only apply when an officer is targeted and shot.

"Let's say you are driving a car and you see a cop and you take your truck and you plow into their car, and the police officer isn't harmed. Obviously that isn't a case that is going to be a capital crime that results in the death penalty. It's going to be a crime that results in a 2nd degree felony. If we have a 2nd degree felony under our statute it moves up to the next highest class," Villalba explains.

The bill will be introduced in the legislative session that begins in January.

http://tpr.org/post/legislation-prom...icers#stream/0

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

LaHood: Otis McKane 'will be held accountable'

By Alicia Neaves
    KEN5 News San Antonio

SAN ANTONIO -- Otis Tyrone McKane, the accused killer in the ambush of a San Antonio police detective, got married just hours before his arrest.

Detective Benjamin Marconi was shot twice inside his patrol vehicle as he wrote a traffic ticket in front of police headquarters.

KENS 5 obtained a copy of the marriage license Tuesday morning from the Bexar County Clerk.

The license, between 31-year-old Otis Tyron McKane and Christian Chanel Fields, says they married Monday, November 21 at 9:57 a.m.; That's less than 24 hours after Detective Marconi was murdered.

McKane is accused of pulling up behind Marconi's patrol car, walking up to the officer's window and shooting him twice in the head.

"This is cold, calculated murder. This was an execution. This was evil," Bexar County District Attorney Nico LaHood said.

LaHood was a part of the conglomeration of law enforcement agencies who tracked McKane down to the area of I-10 just inside 1604 about 28 hours after the ambush.

"It was a war room. I mean, think about that. That's the best way I could describe it. It was a war room. We had stuff on the walls," LaHood described. "The bad pride, the selfish pride, it was checked in at the door. What do we do? Everybody said, 'Ok, there's a lead. We're gonna listen to the captain."

Hours after his picture had appeared all over the media in the manhunt, McKane walked into the Bexar County Courthouse and married Christian Chanel Fields.

"It tells me that there was very little, if any thought, into what [McKane] did and clearly no remorse for what he did," San Antonio Police Chief William McManus said.

Fields is no stranger to crime, herself. She was arrested on theft charges in Harris County.

In a press conference on Monday evening, Chief McManus would not identify the relationship between the woman and child found inside the white Buick with McKane. But in pictures of the arrest, the woman with McKane does look like a mugshot of Fields.

"The ultimate decision on whether this office will seek death or life will be my decision," LaHood said.

SAPD continues to sift through evidence before the case is handed over to the DA's office for an arraignment.

LaHood says, in practicality, there will not be an arraignment of a plea of guilty or not guilty.

"There will be a first court setting, but in cases like this they kind of get on a different track," LaHood noted. "It doesn't go down the normal track in any court and all the judges know that because you're not gonna have normal settings. If this goes forward, depending on what I ultimately decide, death or life, that will put us on a different track."

Once the case is handed over to the DA's office from SAPD, it will go through layers of evaluation before a final decision is made: Life without parole or the death penalty.

"I believe this individual has a depraved heart, what I call a seared conscience. They don't look at the world the way that we do,” LaHood said. “This is not acceptable. I can assure you my tendency is to hold this individual accountable for the max."

LaHood added that he plans to meet with Marconi's family as this capital murder case moves forward.

"I'm not looking to waste any time, but I need to make sure things are done appropriately," LaHood said.

Otis McKane requested a court-appointed attorney. His bond has been raised to $2 million.

http://www.kens5.com/news/crime/laho...able/355110487

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Related:

60 law enforcement officers fatally shot this year, 20 in ambushes, report says

Fox News

A total of 60 law enforcement officers have died in firearms-related incidents in 2016, marking a 67 percent increase since 2015, the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund reported.

Citing a preliminary report from January 1 through November 23, the organization said that Texas has seen the most fatalities this year with 18. So far, 130 officers have died nationwide.

The worst single attack was in July, when a black military veteran killed five white officers at a protest in Dallas — the deadliest day for American law enforcement since Sept. 11, 2001. Ten days later, a former Marine killed three Baton Rouge, Louisiana, police officers.

WAYNE STATE UNIVERSITY POLICE OFFICER DIES AFTER SHOOTING

San Antonio Detective Benjamin Marconi was the 60th officer shot to death this year, compared with 41 in all of 2015, and the 20th to die in an ambush-style attack, compared with eight last year, Craig W. Floyd, president of the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, said.

An ambush-style attack
    does not necessarily involve someone lying in wait for police officers; it's any shooting designed to catch police off guard and put them at a disadvantage, Floyd said.

"There usually is an element of surprise and concealment involved," he said, and it's unprovoked.

Police have been killed while writing reports, like Marconi was, or eating in restaurants. They've responded to 911 calls, only to have people shoot them as they get out of their cars. And in the Dallas shooting, they were targeted by someone in a building.

"In all the cases, the officers were essentially assassinated before they had any contact with the suspect or placed that suspect in jeopardy," said Nick Breul, the Memorial Fund's director of officer safety and wellness.

This year's targeted killings are the most since 1995, Floyd said. In fact, Marconi's was the fourth targeted slaying of an officer this month: On Nov. 2, two Iowa officers were killed in separate but related attacks. And on Nov. 10, a Pennsylvania officer was targeted as he responded to a domestic disturbance.

The attacks on police in Dallas and Baton Rouge came amid protests over the shootings of black men by white officers, and were carried out by black gunmen — but race is not always a motivating factor, Floyd said.

In fact, he said, white men are responsible for most police slayings, and the majority of people shot and killed by police are white.

Some officers have been killed by people who identify with the so-called sovereign citizen movement, whose adherents believe they're immune to most state and federal laws, including paying taxes and getting driver's licenses. Gavin Long, the Baton Rouge shooter, had filed documents last year declaring himself sovereign.

The man who shot and killed the two Iowa officers earlier this month as they sat in their patrol cars had a history of contacts with police, including a recent confrontation with officers at a high school football game.

Others have been mentally ill.

"So much dialogue has centered around race relations, but there is a hatred in this country right now that's just gotten out of control," Floyd said. "There is a lack of respect for government in general, and the most visible and vulnerable symbol of government in America is patrolling our streets in marked cars."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/11/24...port-says.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Family, friends say final goodbye to fallen SAPD detective Benjamin Marconi

Family, friends say final goodbye to Benjamin Marconi

KPRC Houston News

SAN ANTONIO - Family, friends and members of the community said a final goodbye Monday to fallen San Antonio police detective Ben Marconi.

Police said Marconi was killed writing a traffic citation when Otis McKane, 31, allegedly walked up to his window and shot him twice after getting upset about a child custody case that had nothing to do with him.

Marconi's funeral was held at Community Bible Church near Loop 1604 and Gold Canyon Road and was open to the public.

There was a private procession from the Porter Loring Mortuary downtown to the church prior to the service. The procession traveled on Interstate 35 to Highway 281 and then onto Loop 1604.

Sgt. Michael Davis, who worked with Marconi in SAPD's special victim's unit, said the slain detective was "a rock" who worked on cases involving the worst crimes imaginable. He said Marconi had a calming spirit.

Marconi's daughter, Jacey Lewis, said her father was "true role model" and someone who was fun to be around. She said she'll miss "his big belly laughter."

Lewis also joked about how her father would eat half of the baked goods that she prepared for school fundraisers.

Several hundred people first paid their respects during both a viewing and rosary on Sunday night.

State Sen. Carlos Uresti, accompanied by state Sens. Jose Menendez and Donna Campbell presented the Marconi family with a Texas flag that once flew over the state capitol.

Uresti said the Texas Senate will file a joint resolution in the Texas Legislature in January that Nov. 29 be recognized as Marconi Day in Texas.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/fa...sapd-detective

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information