Thread: Kristopher Jones Sentenced to 2 Life Terms in 2017 VA Slayings of Janice Lugo and Minnie Woodard

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar

Kristopher Jones Sentenced to 2 Life Terms in 2017 VA Slayings of Janice Lugo and Minnie Woodard

August 17, 2017

Pending crime lab evidence delays trial for suspect in Petersburg capital murder

PETERSBURG, VA (WWBT) - The man charged with capital murder after two people were killed in a crime spree in Petersburg will have to wait for a trial date.

Kristopher Jones, 32, was back in a Petersburg court room Thursday, where prosecutors decided not to pursue five of the charges he's facing - including grand larceny, car jacking, eluding police, robbery and the abduction of 76-year-old Pastor Alfred Woodard.

Jones is still facing capital murder charges for the deaths of his own girlfriend Janice Lugo, and the pastor's wife, 81-year-old Minnie Woodard.

Tony Woodard says it is painful to hear the details of his mother's murder and his father’s abduction, allegedly at the hands of Jones.

“My mother, she mattered. Minnie Woodard, she mattered. Janice Lugo, she matters. Those were two loving individuals,” said Tony Woodard.

On Jan. 18, police say Jones entered the Woodards' home and forced Alfred Woodard to drive him to the ATM. When Alfred Woodard alerted the bank to what was going on, Jones took off. Officers raced to the Woodard home, but when they go there, Minnie was gone - and there was signs of a struggle.

Lugo, who lived in the same neighborhood as the Woodards, was found dead the same day.

Jones was captured in Norfolk, and police say the information he gave officers lead to the discovery of Minnie Woodard’s body in Chesterfield.

Tony Woodard says his father is slowly recovering from the trauma of that day.

"It’s painful for him to think about, to know what happened," he said.

In court Thursday, defense attorney David Ball argued the eight months Jones sat in jail has infringed on his right to a speedy trial. Ball claimed prosecutors were stalling for tactical reasons.

"Everything they did could have been done faster, and he’s been sitting in jail this whole time," Ball said.

The Commonwealth’s Attorney said analysis of evidence from the state crime lab has taken longer than expect. The judge ultimately sided with the prosecution, saying they don’t have control over the lab.

Tony Woodard says he’s confident in the Commonwealth’s Attorney, and he hopes if the case does go to trial, it will bring his family closure. They plan to hold a rally next summer to try and put a stop to violence in their community.

"It's important for us to stand up and be counted, and to represent my mother, represent my father, represent my family. We're not going to take this sitting down. We're going to show up and hopefully heal from this," said Tony Woodard.

Jones is due back in court on Oct. 19.

http://www.nbc12.com/story/36158189/...apital-murder#

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    August 17, 2017

Abduction, other charges dropped against accused murderer Kristopher Jones

PETERSBURG, Va. (WRIC) — The commonwealth’s attorney in Petersburg has dismissed five charges against accused murderer Kristopher Jones.

They are no longer prosecuting Jones for the charges of abduction, robbery, carjacking, grand larceny and eluding police.

Minnie Woodard’s family was in court Thursday and said they’ll be there for every hearing every court date until this case goes to trial.

“It’s important for us to stand up, to be counted,” said Woodard’s son, Tony Woodard. “Represent my mother. Represent my father. Represent our family.”

Woodard’s son described what it’s like to face his mother’s accused killer in court and hear the details of both his mother and fathers attack.

“Very painful,” he said. “To have to relive this as many times as we’re going to have to relive it, this case is not going to be over in a week or two it’s going to be a while.”

In court Thursday, Petersburg Commonwealth’s Attorney Cheryl Wilson requested to dismiss those five charges in light of the capital murder charges he is facing.

Those charges all relate to the abduction of Pastor Alfred Woodard, Minnie’s husband.

Wilson cited the time it has taken to get evidence back from the lab that has delayed moving forward with the capital murder trial.

Jones’ attorney, David Baugh, argued the motion was an effort to further delay his clients right to a speedy trial.

It took eight months for an autopsy to be completed and at this time only one piece of evidence, related to fingerprints, has been returned from the lab.

“Everything they did could have been done sooner,” Baugh said in court. “And he’s been sitting in jail the whole time.”

The judge did not agree with Jones’ attorneys and said the commonwealth’s attorney had “no control over the lab.”

The family said their focus is on the capital charges and they have faith that justice will be served.

“My mother mattered,” T. Woodard said. “Minnie Woodard, she matters. Janice Lugo, she matters.”

Kristopher Jones is set to appear again in court on October 19. A trial date has yet to be scheduled.

http://wric.com/2017/08/17/abduction...stopher-jones/

March 14, 2019

‘I deserve to have closure’: Mother wants justice for daughter’s murder

“It’s been too long, I deserve to have closure”: Mother waits for justice more than 2 years after daughter’s murder

By Jasmine Turner
    NBC 12 News

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - It has been more than two years since 52-year-old Janice Lugo’s life was taken. Her boyfriend at the time of almost five years, Kristopher Jones, is accused of her murder.

“I want people to know that she does have somebody that cries for her and loves her unconditionally,” Lugo’s mother, Aida DeCosta-Gomez, said. “She was sunshine, when she smiled she radiated.”

Decosta-Gomez says the last two years have been full of suffering as she misses her daughter and waits for justice.

“It’s been torture. There’s not a day I don’t think about that girl,” said said.

Jones is charged with capital murder, accused of killing Lugo, as well as 76 year-old Minnie Woodard, the wife of a Petersburg pastor, in January 2017.

“I am truly sorry for them, I understand their pain,” DeCosta-Gomez said.

No trial date has been set in the case. Tuesday, there was a motions hearing, which ended with Jones’ defense team requesting at least two more hearings until the case can move forward and a trial date can be set.

“It breaks my heart to see the condition and the things that are going on with this trial,” she said. “This trial has been drawn out. It has made the families of the victims suffer.”

Jones appeared in Petersburg circuit court Tuesday afternoon. During a motions hearing, Jones’ attorneys presented several motions to the judge, including a motion to dismiss the death penalty, which was denied. The 90-minute hearing ended with the decision to hold at least two more hearings before a trial date could be set. The next hearing is scheduled for June.

“I’m mad at myself because I have forgiven him,” said DeCcosta-Gomez. “If he lives, he will remember what he did to Minnie Woodard and he will remember the girl who did everything good and not good to make sure he had food to eat and clothes on his back.”

Decosta Gomez said Lugo was intelligent and charitable. She is often reminded of her daughter’s laugh and smile.

“She was a good-hearted human being, and that’s how I want her remembered,” she said. “Janice was a feisty, loving, kind young lady who would give the shirt off her back to help anyone.”

In her home are several photos of her daughter. DeCcosta-Gomez admits that many days are hard to get through thinking about her daughter’s life ending too soon, but she tries her best to find glimpses of good to hold onto, while she waits for the closure she is seeking.

“I have to ask God everyday to give me the peace," DeCosta-Gomez said.

https://www.nbc12.com/2019/03/14/its...ghters-murder/

Jun. 21, 2021

5 years is too long for justice’: Trial set for man accused of Petersburg crime spree

By Jasmine Turner
    (NBC 12)

PETERSBURG, Va. (WWBT) - Four years after a deadly Petersburg crime spree, the victims’ families are still waiting for justice as a trial date has been set for 2022.

Kristopher Jones is accused of abducting Petersburg Pastor Alfred Woodard and later killing his 76-year-old wife Minnie Woodard. He is also accused of killing his girlfriend, Janice Lugo, in January 2017.

Jones is charged with capital murder in both deaths, and in Feb. 2019, he was found competent to stand trial after evaluation from Central State Hospital.

Monday, a trial for Jones was set for June 27-July 1, 2022, which will mark five and a half years since the crime. The families of both victims continue to ask the court system for justice.

The Woodard family started “Minnie Steps 4 Justice.”

“Here at Minnie Steps 4 Justice, we give voices to the unheard victims of crimes committed against the elderly and minority women,” the families explained online. “Minnie steps for justice campaign addresses the unfair and unjust practices of the legal system to delay or deny the families of the victim’s justice!!!!”

In a statement to NBC12, the Woodard family wrote:

“Although this is a year out, we are relieved to finally have a date set for trial. Five and a half years is too long for justice, but we’ll take the progress made today and keep a watchful eye

Senior Member CnCP Legend
    June 23, 2022

‘We can begin to heal and move on’: Man sentenced to 2 life sentences 5 years after murders in Petersburg

By Jasmine Turner
    NBC 12 News

PETERSBURG, Va. (WWBT) - The man accused of killing two people in 2017 pleaded guilty Thursday to several charges, including murder.

In January 2017, Pastor Alfred Woodard was abducted from the Petersburg home that he shared with his wife of more than 50 years. Police say Kristopher Jones forced Pastor Woodard to go to an ATM and withdraw money. Pastor Woodard was able to get away and get help, but Jones took off.

Pastor Woodard’s wife, Minnie, later went missing. Her body was eventually found in Chesterfield. Jones’s girlfriend, Janice Lugo, was also found dead in her home the same day Minnie Woodard went missing.

The family says Jones was familiar to the couple because the Woodards helped him in the past. Janice Lugo’s family says she was trying to get out of an abusive relationship with Jones, at one point telling loved ones, “if you don’t hear from me, [Jones] killed me.”

Jones was charged with both murders after he was captured in Norfolk.

On June 23, Jones pleaded guilty to murder, robbery and abduction. He was sentenced to two life sentences plus 15 years.

In Petersburg Circuit Court, the Commonwealth presented a summary of evidence saying Jones went to the Woodards’ house with plans to rob them. Jones told the Woodards he had killed his girlfriend. After running for several days, police say he asked if he would go straight to jail for murder on the day he was arrested. Jones told police Minnie Woodard’s body was at a property in Matoaca.

Jones’s attorney says questions about his client’s mental health, as well as the pandemic, were behind the delay in the case concluding but said, “[Jones] has waited for this day so he could accept responsibility.”

When asked by the judge if there was anything he wanted to say, he simply said no.

“Two families still suffered great loss. He has an opportunity to do what Mother Woodard preached for so many years, receive forgiveness,” explained the Woodards’ son-in-law, Andrew Clement.

Several family members of Janice Lugo and the Woodards spoke through tears as they gave victim impact statements.

Janice Lugo’s mother, Aida De Costa Gomez, says Janice would do anything for anyone. She says Janice was the love of her life and has been in therapy since her death.

Freddie De Costa Gomez, Lugo’s stepfather, told the court, “putting a man in jail for the rest of his life is one thing, but it doesn’t bring back my stepdaughter.”

During her statement, the Woodards’ daughter Malisa Clement looked at Jones and said, “I know that my mother did nothing but treat you with kindness.”

“When they say closure, I don’t know if it is really closure, but it allows the family to no longer have to go motions hearings and to know the judicial system has entered a sentencing and recognized the value of my mother’s life, Janice’s life, and my dad’s life,” said Clement after court. “It may be hard for people to comprehend, but my mother would want us to forgive.”

In court, Clement also spoke about how she used to call her mother every day, saying she was a God-fearing, generous woman.

Clement and two of her six siblings say the stress and sadness of losing their mother have taken a toll on them emotionally and physically. Several of the Woodard children have developed physical and mental health challenges such as vertigo, depression and even hearing loss in Clement’s case.

The children say Alfred Woodard has not been the same since January 2017. Alfred Woodard Jr. says their father suffered a stroke after his wife of 56 years death. They say in some ways, the family feels they lost both their father and mother. Alfred Woodard told his children he did not want to come to court for Jones’s plea hearing Thursday.

Tony Woodard told the court they had been waiting for the day they could begin to move on. He told the judge, “I pray there is some remorse with this young man that decided to take a life from all of us.”

“After five-plus years, we were able to come and bring some closure to what happened on that one terrible day in 2017, " said Tony Woodard. “My family, we are healing; every day is a healing process. The process has been long, but to finally come to this point where we can begin to heal and move on, I think my mother would appreciate that.”

Tony Woodard says his mother’s mantra in life was “owe no man nothing but to love them.” He says despite the heartbreak of the last five years, she would want them to focus on love, especially in the family.

The Woodards’ granddaughter, Alexis, says her grandmother was the best person in the world. Growing up in Georgia, she would spend summers in Petersburg. She remembers her grandmother being a great cook, a powerful preacher and ‘a songbird,’ singing a song called ‘His Eye Is on the Sparrow.’ Alexis Woodard says she doesn’t think she will ever again experience the pain she felt losing her grandmother.

“She was home base. She was the core. We have to do the work to find that core [again] and figure out what it means to keep her alive and to honor and rebind. She was the best. If you had three seconds with her, you would feel it,” Alexis Woodard explained.

https://www.nbc12.com/2022/06/23/we-...rs-petersburg/

Thread Information