Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Markeith Damangzlo Loyd - Florida Death Row

Senior Member CnCP Addict maybeacomedian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen View Post
    I can't access this because of a paywall. Apparently, Markeith has hit some officers.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...rcreSNtLyPSjFw
    Fun Fact: Sometimes you can get around paywalls by archiving.

In this case, it worked: https://archive.ph/CX8Kh

Archiving also prevents link rot.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

March 14, 2022

Markeith Loyd hit Orange jail officers after dispute over time outside cell, records show

By Monivette Cordeiro
    The Orlando Sentinel

Before he was sentenced to death by a judge, convicted cop killer Markeith Loyd struck three corrections officers at the Orange County jail after a dispute over time outside his cell, records show.

Loyd, 46, was convicted in the 2017 killing of Orlando police Lt. Debra Clayton. After a jury unanimously recommended he should be executed for fatally shooting Clayton, Circuit Judge Leticia Marques sentenced him to capital punishment March 3.

Less than a week before the sentencing, corrections officers said Loyd attacked them “without provocation” after a Feb. 25 argument over “dayroom time,” according to jail records released by the office of Ocala-based State Attorney Bill Gladson in response to a public records request.

“Dayroom time” is when those incarcerated are allowed a brief period to use the phones and watch TV, jail spokesperson Tracy Zampaglione said.

In statements, Officers Alexander Rodriguez and Richard Salansky said they entered the administrative segregation unit where Loyd was housed around 8 a.m. to let those incarcerated out for dayroom time.

Earlier, Loyd had requested to be the first to leave his cell and told officers that former Seminole County Tax Collector Joel Greenberg, who is housed in the same unit as he awaits sentencing for several federal offenses, did not want to come out, according to the records.

After Rodriguez confirmed Greenberg did not want to come out, he released Loyd from his cell a few minutes after 8 a.m., the records said. Loyd began questioning why Rodriguez didn’t allow him out of his cell earlier, at 7:30 a.m.

When Rodriguez told Loyd that dayroom time always starts at 8 a.m., Loyd unexpectedly lunged at the officer, grabbing his neck and shoulder area, the officers reported. Rodriguez said he hit Loyd in the face then felt Loyd punching him repeatedly in the head area, which caused him to fall onto Salansky.

Rodriguez said Loyd stood over him and ordered him “not to get up,” according to the statement.

While on the ground, Rodriguez kicked Loyd and doused him with a chemical spray, records said. Loyd went back into his cell, but then came back out and was Tased by Salansky, though it had no effect.

Loyd then ran up to and struck another guard, Officer Robert Carter, who ultimately helped the other two officers take down Loyd.

Loyd was ultimately placed in restraints by more officers after “several minutes [of] continuous fighting,” according to the records.

No attorneys for Loyd could be reached for comment. Attorney Terence Lenamon, who led Loyd’s defense at both his trials, said he was no longer representing him.

After the incident, a supervisor noted Carter and Salansky appeared to look OK, though Rodriguez did have a red mark on his face and his shirt was ripped open, according to the records. Rodriguez declined to press charges against Loyd, though Loyd was given two disciplinary infractions for battery on a staff member and aggravated refusal to follow staff’s orders.

All three officers told the supervisor they were seeking worker’s compensation for the injuries experienced, records said.

Loyd is currently being housed on death row at Union Correctional Institution in Raiford.

“This has nothing to do with you,” Loyd told Carter during the altercation, according to the officer’s statement. “I’m going to knock you out.”

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...dr4-story.html
    https://archive.ph/CX8Kh
    Last edited by maybeacomedian; 03-14-2022 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Posting full body of linked article

Convicted cop killer Markeith Loyd appeals death sentence

Motion was filed to the Supreme Court of Florida on March 19

By Samantha Dunne
    clickorlando.com

ORLANDO, Fla. – Convicted cop killer Markeith Loyd filed to appeal his death sentence last Saturday for the murder of Orlando police Lt. Debra Clayton in 2017.

Loyd submitted the appeal to the Supreme Court of Florida regarding the death sentence he was served earlier this month.

Loyd was found guilty on Nov. 3 of five charges, including first-degree murder, for the shooting death of Clayton in 2017. At the time he was on the run after killing his pregnant ex-girlfriend Sade Dixon in December 2016, a crime for which he was already serving life in prison.

After a jury recommended the death penalty for Loyd back in December 2021, Judge Leticia Marques made her final decision on the matter months later.

The document does not explain on what grounds Loyd’s attorneys are appealing the sentence.

Markeith Loyd appeals death sentence on Scribd

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/lo...eath-sentence/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Florida Supreme Court has scheduled oral arguments in Loyd’s direct appeal for May 2, 2023

https://acis-api.flcourts.gov/courts...d-afcfc2b1a7d7
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Convicted killer Markeith Loyd wants death sentence, conviction overturned

By Bob Hazen
    wesh.com

ORLANDO, Fla. — Convicted killer Markeith Loyd will try Tuesday to get his death sentence and murder conviction overturned.

Loyd’s attorneys will make their arguments in front of the Florida Supreme Court. He’s currently on death row at Union Correctional Institution for the killing of Orlando Police Lieutenant Debra Clayton in 2017.

Loyd shot Clayton to death outside an Orlando Walmart as she tried to stop him. At the time, he was wanted for killing his pregnant ex-girlfriend Sade Dixon.

After his conviction and sentencing for Clayton’s murder, Loyd’s attorneys appealed to the state Supreme Court. They cite 13 reasons why the conviction should be overturned, or the death sentence dropped. Those reasons include issues with jury selection, the definition of "premeditation" that prosecutors presented to jurors, and the fact that Loyd was deemed competent to stand trial.

The Supreme Court will hear arguments starting at 9:30 a.m.

https://www.wesh.com/amp/article/mar...tence/43768140

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Conviction and death sentence affirmed on direct appeal.

https://supremecourt.flcourts.gov/co...C2022-0378.pdf

Motion for rehearing denied by the FSC 2/7/24.

https://acis-api.flcourts.gov/courts...d-4809d4999f5b

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread Information