Thread: Raymon Murrell Sentenced to 30 Years in 2014 KY Beating Death of Phillip Schulz

Raymon Murrell Sentenced to 30 Years in 2014 KY Beating Death of Phillip Schulz

Phillip Schulz

Raymon Murrell

LOUISVILLE, Ky. —A murder suspect faced more than a judge at his arraignment Wednesday.

Previous Stories:

http://www.wlky.com/news/employee-be...-dies/25456692

http://www.wdrb.com/story/25255333/l...sts-suspect-in

Raymon Murrell is accused of beating a 63-year-old Louisville man who later died.

Mobile users: Tap here for video

It was an emotional morning for the families of both Murrell and the victim.

A not guilty plea was entered and a $250,000 bond set for Murrell.

He has been charged in the death of Phillip Schulz, which resulted from an attack at a warehouse at Packaging Unlimited at 12th and Kentucky streets.

The victim's son was at Louisville Metro Corrections for the arraignment, as was Murrell's mother.

"I know he's guilty. I can't talk about about it. I know there's a ton of evidence. I know it's going to come out in court," said the victim's son, John Schulz.

"No, no, my son didn't do it. I know my mother is looking down at me (saying he) didn't do it," said Murrell's mother, Shawanda Murrell.

Police said the attack occurred around 4:30 a.m. Friday. They contend Murrell was breaking into vending machines when he was confronted by Schulz.

Schulz was badly beaten and died the next day.

"We got a lot of work ahead of us, make sure this guy stays in jail. That's my focus right now. I'm sure I will have my grieving period later," said John Schulz.

Phillip Schulz and Raymon Murrell both worked at Packaging Unlimited.

John Schulz said the murder weapon was a pipe. He is demanding justice, and for him that means the death penalty.

Read more: http://www.wlky.com/news/man-charged...#ixzz2z8qLaQdx
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Family of murder victim says staffing company should have known suspect's violent history

By Dalton Main

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) – A wrongful death lawsuit was filed against a staffing company Friday in the case of a man murdered during a burglary at Packaging Unlimited in April. The victim's family claims Malone Staffing should have known the suspect had a violent history and that he was "unfit" to be on the job.

Police say Phillip Schulz was beaten to death by Raymon Murrell on the morning of April 11 after Schulz walked into work and witnessed Murrell breaking into vending machines at Packaging Unlimited.

According to the complaint, filed in Jefferson County Circuit court Friday, Raymon Murrell was an employee of Malone Staffing at the time and was "placed as a temporary worker" at Packaging Unlimited.

The family says Raymon Murrell had access to the facility because he was an employee and the company should have exercised greater care given his history.

The victim's family alleges Malone Staffing "should have known Mr. Murrell had an extensive criminal background," and that he was capable of harming other workers. In the lawsuit, the family seeks a jury trial and unspecified monetary damages for both punitive and compensatory purposes.

63-year-old Schulz died on April 12 a day after he was allegedly struck in the head by Murrell upon arriving at work.

According to timesheets attached to the lawsuit, Murrell was an active employee the week of April 11, 2014. However, that could not be independently confirmed by Malone Staffing.

A representative of the staffing company said they do not comment on pending lawsuits.

Schulz's family claims Murrell had "previously received mental health and/or behavioral treatment and counseling."

According to the Malone Staffing website, the company provides "In-Depth Behavioral Based Interviewing," "Reference Checks" and "Criminal Background Checks," in order to "determine eligibility for representation."

Murell is charged with first degree murder, Burglary and tampering with physical evidence.

A pre-trial conference for Murrell is scheduled on Dec. 15.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/27617456/f...iolent-history
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information