Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Parole for Murderers

Senior Member CnCP Addict one_two_bomb's Avatar
    As far as I am concerned, at 15 or 16 everyone knows right from wrong, and if someone that age commits a murder, they should be tried as an adult and receive the same punishment as an adult.

Sure paying for sex with a minor is disgusting. But that guy was still a human being, he still has the same right to not be murdered as anyone. Every single human being has the exact same right not to be murdered, from the day they are born til the day they die. Children have this right just the same as adults do, and criminals have it as much as people who have never even had a traffic ticket. This is an undisputable fact in the law, as well as morally.

You think not every murder is the same? Maybe so, but every murder is a murder. You wanna weigh certain murders against one another and decide some deserve death, some deserve life in prison, and in others the killer should walk free? I guess that's your prison, but that mindset is the reason why we only have 20 something executions a year and 30 something death sentences. People with this kind of thinking are the reason why we have court rulings like Furman, Atkins, Hurst, etc. It is also the reason why mass murderers and rapist-murderers are getting lighter sentences.

So in short, you have a right to that opinion. But the next time someone like Brian Golsby is spared a death sentence, instead of getting mad at the jurors, you need to take a long, hard look in the mirror.

Well I guess you're not happy about this then.

https://www.npr.org/2018/02/22/58783...victs-in-limbo
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    All of them won't stay wise longtime , to live in society today ,it is an hard work. If they don't have the will, they will be back to jail soon or late.
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

Quote Originally Posted by one_two_bomb View Post
    Sure paying for sex with a minor is disgusting. But that guy was still a human being, he still has the same right to not be murdered as anyone. Every single human being has the exact same right not to be murdered, from the day they are born til the day they die. Children have this right just the same as adults do, and criminals have it as much as people who have never even had a traffic ticket. This is an undisputable fact in the law, as well as morally.
    I have to disagree with the "everybody has the same right not to be murdered" thing. By that logic, execution is immoral. The only difference between murder and execution is that one is lawful, and the one being killed absolutely deserves it in the latter.

There are plenty of cases to contradict the points raised. Jeffrey Dahmer deserved to be murdered in prison. Or the case of Gary Plouche killing Jeffrey Doucet for molesting his kid. Morally permissible, albeit not legally. Or lastly, I'd have a lot less pity for someone killed in a drug deal than someone killed by an armed robber at work.

Not all murders are the same, and neither are all murder victims. I don't disagree with everything you said, but I had to make this point.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Senior Member CnCP Addict one_two_bomb's Avatar
    I am going to challenge your thinking a little.

I have to disagree with the "everybody has the same right not to be murdered" thing.
    Impossible to disagree with. If it was worded, "some people do/do not deserve to be murdered," that could be argued as a matter of opinion. But under the law, everyone does have the same right not to be murdered. I could go out and murder anyone, and no matter who it is, I can face the same murder charge.

The only difference between murder and execution is that one is lawful
    But that is the difference, precisely.

Jeffrey Dahmer deserved to be murdered in prison.
    That is the one exception I would make. I believe murderers should be stripped of the title "human being," and unlawfully killing them should be treated as a property crime.

Or the case of Gary Plouche killing Jeffrey Doucet for molesting his kid. Morally permissible, albeit not legally. Or lastly, I'd have a lot less pity for someone killed in a drug deal than someone killed by an armed robber at work.
    While we lack sympathy for many murder victims, they still have the same right to not be murdered. I don't have sympathy for rapists or pedophiles, I don't care when they die. But they do have the same right under the law to not be murdered, and we should not be making exceptions for it being OK to murder people if they wronged you.

If Gary Plouche had taken Jeffey Doucet's wallet after killing him, that would make it a capital murder. The exact same charges as the armed robber who killed someone at work: Robbery-murder. Do you think that would change people's perception of the overall situation? Of course not. So why should the motive matter at all, and why should it be considered when applying a sentence to a crime?

James Reed was sentenced to death in California for murdering a man who raped his wife.

What if we take it a step further and start arguing that people should get lighter sentences if they murder someone who wronged them in other ways? Peter Capote and Benjamin Young were just sentenced to death in Alabama for murdering a gang banger who stole their Xbox. Should they be given a reduced sentence because the victim wronged them, and another dead gangbanger is no real loss to society? Or should we just execute them because they are scumbag gangbangers themselves? Now we are arguing irrelevant facts. When it comes to murder, or any crime for that matter, the motive should not matter, and neither should the social status of the victim or perpetrator.

Not all murders are the same, and neither are all murder victims.
    100% true, but every murder is a murder. And we should be punishing actions, not people.

Paroled murderer kills victim’s daughter near same crime scene 24 years later

By Lee Brown
    New York Post

One of Arkansas’ most notorious murderers returned 24 years later to the scene of his crime this week, killed his victim’s daughter — and then drowned as he tried to flee cops, according to officials.

Travis Santay Lewis was just 16 when he shot dead Sally Snowden McKay, 75, and her nephew, Lee Baker, 52, in Horseshoe Lake in 1996, getting sentenced to 28 1/2 years in prison after pleading guilty, according to the Memphis Commercial Appeal.

The murders became infamous in local lore because the Snowdens were an influential family, and because Baker was a famed Memphis guitarist who had played for Big Star and frontman, Alex Chilton, the paper noted.

Lewis was paroled in 2018 — and returned to the neighborhood Wednesday where he killed McKay’s daughter, Martha McKay, in a house just a few down from his original murder, said officials, who did not discuss the killer’s motive.

Lewis was spotted still inside the historic Snowden House — used in the 1994 movie of John Grisham’s “The Client” by deputies who responded to an alarm going off, the reports say.

The suspect “jumped from an upstairs window and ran to a vehicle that he drove across the yard” before he “jumped from the car and ran and jumped into the lake,” Crittenden County Sheriff Mike Allen said.

“He was observed going under the water and never came back up,” Allen said. It was confirmed to be Lewis after officials used sonar equipment to trace his body and pull it from the lake.

The body of McKay — who was in her 60s, according to the Commercial Appeal — was only found after deputies went back to the house following the chase, Allen said in his statement.

Some neighbors told the paper that McKay had been stabbed, while others say she was bludgeoned with a hammer.

Allen only said that McKay and Lewis were being “sent to the state medical examiners office for cause and manner of death.”

https://nypost.com/2020/03/27/parole...4-years-later/
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Vicitm, Derrick Robie

Now 41, killer of 4-year-old boy granted parole on 11th try

Eric M. Smith was convicted of second-degree murder in 1994

By Associated Press

Eric M. Smith, who was 13 when he killed a 4-year-old boy with a rock in western New York, has been granted parole, according to corrections officials.

Smith, now 41, appeared for the 11th time before the Board of Parole on October 5 and was granted release as early as Nov. 17, the Department of Corrections and Community Supervision said in an emailed statement Saturday.

Transcripts of the hearing were not immediately released.

Smith was convicted of second-degree murder in 1994 for luring Derrick Robie into woods near the younger boy’s home and striking his head with a rock. Robie was walking alone to summer camp at a park in the Steuben County village of Savona in August 1993.

At his trial, Smith’s lawyer unsuccessfully argued that Smith was mentally ill. Smith was sentenced to nine years to life in prison.

He told a parole board in 2014 that he had held in his rage and frustration after years of bullying and took it out on a little boy who didn’t deserve it.

Derrick’s parents, Dale and Doreen Robie, opposed Smith’s release each time it was previously considered and have lobbied for parole reforms that include extending the time between hearings for violent offenders from the current two years to five.

Dale Robie told local media the family did not want to comment on the latest decision.

Smith is housed at the medium-security Woodbourne Correctional Facility in the Catskills.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/now-41-ki...arole-11th-try
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

I know even many ardent supporters of capital punishment here may find what I say too extreme, but I don't care. A 13 year old that rapes, sodomizes, and murders a 4 year old should be executed.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

I always get nervous when they describe the killers as really enjoying it and not wanting it to end

Details of the crime:

Excerpt from CBS report in 2004

During the summer of '93, Smith attended a recreation program held a block from the Robie home. Derrick also attended the program.

On Aug. 2, Derrick was ready to head out to the program, but his mother wasn't ready to take him. "Normally, I would walk him to the end of the driveway, but Dalton that morning was very fussy," recalls Doreen Robie. "Derrick says, 'It’s OK, mom. I’ll go by myself.' … He gave me a kiss and I said, 'I love you,' and he says, 'I love you, Mom,' and he went hopping off the sidewalk."

He had only a block to go, and no streets to cross. The park was on a dead-end street. "It was the first time I've ever let him go anywhere alone," says Doreen Robie.

A short time later, as storm clouds moved in, Doreen says she felt something close to panic: "I swear that was the moment he died. I think he was letting us know."

"Derrick was very close to us," adds his father, Dale. "If there was any way he could have told us he was leaving, he would have tried."

What Doreen felt, but didn't yet know, was that five minutes after she kissed Derrick goodbye, he was dead. The most disturbing details of the crime, however, were never made public. But now, a decade later, with the fear that their son's killer could be set free, the Robie family wants the whole story to be told.

"People need to know what this kid did," says Doreen Robie.

On Aug. 2, 1993, Derrick's body was found in a small patch of woods, halfway between the park where he was headed, and his home.

"He chose to end Derrick Robie's life, and he chose to do it in a way that was much more than just killing," says Tunney, who vividly remembers the crime scene and the brutality of the murder.

Evidence showed that Derrick was lured from the sidewalk and strangled. But at the time, the killer's identity was unknown.

"He discovered and dug up one very large rock and one smaller rock. And he battered Derrick with those rocks," recalls lead investigator Charles Wood.

"He went into Derrick's lunch bag and he smashed a banana and took Derrick's Kool Aid, and he actually poured that Kool-Aid into the – that had been made by the large rocks. And he sodomized Derrick with a small stick that he had found."

According to Wood, the killer then arranged Derrick's body: "The left sneaker had been removed and was lying near Derrick's right hand. And his right sneaker had been removed and was lying near Derrick's left hand. It almost looked like the body had been posed in that position."

"Eric continued to deal with Derrick’s body because he wanted to," says Tunney. "Because he chose to. And most frighteningly, because he enjoyed it."

The word "enjoy" would come up again and again in the course of the investigation. The first time was four days after the murder, when Smith walked into the police command center to see if he could be of help in solving the crime.

"[He] totally enjoyed it. Totally enjoyed it. Didn't want it to end," says investigator John Hibsch, who repeatedly talked with Smith, and had no idea the killer was sitting right in front of him. "He's looking right at me. He's very upbeat, very happy. He likes the fact that he's being talked to."

https://murderpedia.org/male.S/s/smith-eric-m.htm

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

New York Man Who Murdered and Sodomized a 4-Year-Old When He Was a Teenager Granted Parole

By Marisa Sarnoff
    Law & Crime

A New York man who was a teenager when he murdered and sexually assaulted a child has been granted parole.

Eric M. Smith murdered four-year-old Derrick Robie in 1993, as Robie walked through a park on his way to summer camp in Steuben County, New York. Robie was walking alone when Smith lured him into woods near the boy’s home and hit him in the head with a rock, strangled him, and sodomized him with a stick.

Smith was 13 years old at the time of the murder. He is now 41.

Smith’s parole hearing—his 11th—was on Oct. 5, according to the New York Department of Corrections and Community Supervision (NYDOCCS) website. NYDOCCS records show that Smith may be released as early as Nov. 17.

“The case got wide publicity because of the tender age of the victim and suspect, along with a widely circulated photo of the adolescent Smith in court, wearing a Bugs Bunny sweatshirt and a mop of red hair,” the Associated Press reported Monday.

At Smith’s trial, his lawyers argued that Smith suffered from “intermittent explosive disorder,” the Buffalo News reported at the time of Smith’s verdict. The disorder is “a rare condition characterized by discrete episodes in which a person cannot control violent impulses,” the Buffalo News said.

The Buffalo News also reported on testimony from a doctor who interviewed Smith and his family, and implied that Smith’s stepfather “probably hit Eric much more than he admits.” But one of Smith’s attorneys at the time acknowledged that “there wasn’t really any evidence” of abuse.

In 2014, Smith told the parole board that he was “angry he’d been abused by family and bullied by classmates so he took his frustration out” on Robie, according to a Democrat & Chronicle report.

“He didn’t deserve anything that I did to him; no one deserved that kind of violence,” Smith said of Robie, according to parole hearing transcripts cited by the Democrat & Chronicle. “What I did to him was brutal.”

“Who I was at age 13 does not exist,” Smith also said at his 2014 parole hearing. “That child that committed that crime, he’s gone. He’s never coming back.”

Smith said in 2014 that he killed Robie “because he thought he would get into trouble if the boy got up and told on him,” according to the Democrat & Chronicle. “He claimed he thought that by inserting a stick into the boy, it would reach and ‘stop his heart.'”

At the time, parole officials said that Smith appeared to be making progress in institutional programs and had a clean discipline record, but ultimately concluded that his release would be “incompatible with the welfare and safety of society,” the Democrat & Chronicle reported.

At the time of his 1994 conviction, Smith was sentenced to nine years to life in prison. He was housed in a juvenile facility until 2001, and is currently housed at a medium-security prison in Woodbourne, New York.

Derrick’s parents, Dale and Doreen Robie, have opposed Smith’s release each time it was previously considered, according to the AP. They have also advocated for parole reforms that would extend the time between hearings for violent offenders from the current two years to five, the AP reported.

Dale Robie told local media that the family didn’t want to comment on the parole board’s decision, the AP also reported.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...ole/ar-AAPFKbj

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information