Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Willie Cory Godbolt - Mississippi Death Row

Prosecutors say defense in capital murder case hasn’t shared information

By Donna Campbell
    The Daily Leader

With a capital murder trial set to begin Feb. 10 and a death penalty on the line, the state’s prosecutors are concerned at the lack of reciprocal discovery the defense has provided to them.

“I sound like a broken record again,” Assistant District Attorney Brendon Adams told Lincoln County Circuit Judge David Strong Thursday during a status hearing in the Pike County Courtroom.

It’s the same courthouse where the capital murder trial for Willie Cory Godbolt is set to be heard by a DeSoto County jury. Godbolt is accused of shooting to death eight people in a two-day killing spree in May 2017.

Jury selection is set to begin Feb. 10 in Hernando and the trial is expected to begin later that week in Magnolia.

“We are now less than 30 days out to trial and we have received no notice of any witnesses the defense intends to or potentially could call. We have received not a single document that it intends to introduce. We have received zero reciprocal discovery whatsoever. We have provided discovery. We have supplemented discovery,” he said, stopping when Strong interrupted to address Defense Attorney Allison Steiner with the capital defense counsel division of the state public defender’s office.

Steiner said Dr. Matthew Mendel, a licensed psychologist in North Carolina and Texas, performed a two-day psychological evaluation on Godbolt in December.

“We are awaiting a report from him that he has promised we are going to have on Monday, at which time, it will be provided,” she said.

She said the defense team’s investigators are attempting to make contact with witnesses and agreed to provide a list of witnesses as well as any documents that might be relevant on Monday.

“This is the first we’ve heard about Dr. Matthew Mendal but we’ll take them on their word that they are going to provide everything we need,” Adams said.

Steiner said some delays were caused by a lack of assistance in the latter part of 2019. Defense Attorney Katherine Poor was on maternity leave and the third person on her team left the Lincoln County Public Defender’s office and was replaced by attorney M.A. Bass of Hazlehurst.

“I was basically on solo watch from September until December. It was something I couldn’t do and keep up with the rest of my caseload,” she said. “We had moved for a continuance so that there might be more time to do this and the court has declined.”

No memorials

Steiner requested that audience members be reminded they cannot wear anything during the trial that would potentially sway the jury.

“I understand that members of the family — of the May, Blackwell and Edwards family — have asked to have T-shirts of some kind printed for their own memorial,” she said, which caused a murmur from the 20 or so individuals in the audience that was loud enough to prompt Strong to call for order.

“We won’t have any T-shirts, any memorials, (William) Durr’s badge number displayed. We won’t have any of that, Miss Steiner. Period,” he said. “I can’t think of a quicker way to get a case reversed than that.”

“Your honor, just for the record this is news to us,” Adams said.

“I think everybody out here understands that if they attend this trial they’re not going to wear anything that would try to sway or inflame the jury,” Strong said. “We will know what the audience has on before the jury comes out.”

The next status hearing is set for Jan. 28 at 9 a.m. in Lincoln County.

https://www.dailyleader.com/2020/01/...d-information/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Member Member
    This guy is a poster boy for the death penalty.

Judge allows more than a dozen 911 calls to be played for jurors in capital murder trial

By Donna Campbell
    The Daily Leader

A Lincoln County circuit judge Tuesday, hearing for the first time more than a dozen calls placed to 911 operators the night eight people were murdered in a two-day shooting spree in 2017, decided most could be played for jurors during trial.

Defense attorneys for Willie Cory Godbolt objected to the calls for various reasons, but mostly for the potential to sway jurors during the capital murder trial set to begin in February.

Jury selection will take place in DeSoto County Feb. 9 and could take most of the first week. The case will be heard in Magnolia in the Pike County Circuit Court.

Judge David Strong reserved ruling on some calls, while allowing most. At least one was allowed if portions of it were redacted.

Godbolt, 37, is charged with four counts of capital murder, four counts of first-degree murder, attempted murder and kidnapping charges in connection with the 2017, killings of eight people — Deputy William Durr, 36; Brenda May; 52; Barbara Mitchell, 55; and Toccora May, 34, on Lee Drive in Bogue Chitto; cousins Jordan Blackwell, 18, and Austin Edwards, 11, on Coopertown Road, and Ferral Burage, 45, and his wife Sheila May Burage, 46, on East Lincoln Road.

Godbolt was arrested early on May 28, 2017, by law enforcement near Super Jack’s at East Lincoln Road and Hwy. 84 as he was walking away from the Burages’ home. He has been held in the Copiah County Jail ever since, making several short appearances in court for status hearings.

During the months leading up to the capital murder trial prosecutors have sorted through 672 emergency calls — from individuals to 911 operators made the night of May 27 into the morning of May 28, 2017 as well as calls from dispatchers to law enforcement.

Strong chose to hear the calls Tuesday, but reminded both prosecutors and defense attorneys that it was difficult to rule without hearing the context of accompanying testimony.

The first call came from the daughter of one of the victims at Lee Drive, who was hiding in the back of a car that was sprayed with bullets while she was inside it. Godbolt, sitting between two of his attorneys, kept his head down as the calls were played.

“He’s shooting. He’s shooting everybody,” Tamayra May is heard frantically telling a dispatcher. There’s a pause, then she repeats slowly, “He’s shooting everybody.”

May is placed on hold as the dispatcher alerts deputies, although she continuously checks back with her and assures May she’s still with her.

Assistant District Attorney Robert Byrd said this call alerted authorities to the shooting.

Defense attorney Katherine Poor said the desperation and emotional pleas for help could cause jury sympathy. The facts of the call can be obtained through other means, primarily through the witness’ testimony, she said.

While Poor argued the call could prejudice the jury, Strong said May doesn’t mention the defendant’s name and ruled that the phone call would likely corroborate the witness’ testimony and allowed it.

Byrd played several calls, each time making an argument for why the call should be used, and Poor countering with reasons the defense doesn’t want the jury to hear it.

Two of the calls came from Sheena Godbolt, the estranged wife of the defendant, who was in the home on Lee Drive when the shooting began.

“Her exit was blocked so she could not run out the door the way her mother, the way her aunt and her sister tried to flee before they were shot down,” Byrd said.

Sheena Godbolt went to the back bedroom at her parents’ home on Lee Drive where her children were hiding and she placed the children outside the window and climbed out herself then ran to a neighbor’s house, he said.

She is heard frantically crying even before the dispatcher answers. She tells the dispatcher a deputy had been shot.

Poor wants it kept away from a jury.

“The caller is crying, obviously upset, hysterical saying repeatedly on the first call ‘Jesus, Jesus, Lord give me somebody.’ On the second call, she’s saying what sounds to me like, around 34 seconds, she is saying, ‘Lord, please tell me my mother and grandma are all right.’”

Byrd said the call is important because it describes what occurred and it’s the first time that Lincoln County authorities learned that an officer had been shot.

Strong agrees with the prosecution.

“All the things that the defense claims leads to unfair prejudice are the very things that make the call admissible under the excited utterance rule,” Strong said. “She just witnessed an officer being shot and doesn’t know whether others have been shot. She doesn’t know the condition of her family.”

Byrd played a call from LePeatra Stafford who said Godbolt kidnapped her at gunpoint and forced her to drive him to Coopertown Road.

“Cory Godbolt is there shooting,” she said.

Byrd said Stafford was kidnapped at Lee Drive and until this call was made at 2:19 a.m. on May 28, officers did not know for certain that the shooter had left the first residence.

Poor objected to the use of the call because Stafford didn’t witness the shootings on Lee Drive.

Strong will allow it.

Byrd played other calls from individuals involved in the night’s events including 15-year-old Caleb Edwards who called 911 from inside the house on Coopertown Road. Byrd said testimony will show that Edwards was hiding underneath his cousin Jordan Blackwell when Blackwell was shot and killed, and near his brother, 11-year-old Austin Edwards.

Another call came from Shayla Edwards, who left Lee Drive to go back to her sister’s home on Coopertown Road. She gives the address, the first time dispatchers have it, and then is heard screaming as she enters the home, “He shot my son, Austin.”

Poor calls it an “extremely prejudicial call” and argued that the fact Austin Edwards had been killed has been established in other 911 calls and this call doesn’t offer any additional information. She asked that the end of the call be redacted if the call is played to jurors, “the screaming of Miss Edwards is so likely to elicit sympathy of the jury.”

Several other calls were heard, including one from Angela Hardy who had been on the phone with Sheila Burage when shooting began at East Lincoln Road.

Poor asked for many calls to be disallowed or seriously redacted, adding that many of the calls could sway a jury because of “the continuous impact of hearing upset callers over and over again.”

https://www.dailyleader.com/2020/01/...-murder-trial/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    Jury being chosen for trial of man charged with killing 8

HERNANDO, Miss. (AP) — Jury selection continues Tuesday in north Mississippi for the death penalty trial of a man accused of killing eight people on the other end of the state in May 2017.

Willie Cory Godbolt, now 37, said “I'm sorry” while a reporter was recording him after the shootings in south Mississippi's Lincoln County. The dead included a sheriff's deputy and Godbolt's mother-in-law.

Jury selection started Monday at the DeSoto County Courthouse in Hernando, which is near Memphis, Tennessee.

The public information officer for the Mississippi court system, Beverly Pettigrew Kraft, said 500 people were summoned for jury selection. Of the 206 who showed up in court, 75 were excused during questioning Monday.

Jurors and alternates be taken about 285 miles (460 kilometers) south to hear the trial at a courthouse in Magnolia, which is near Lincoln County.
    Godbolt has pleaded not guilty to four counts of capital murder, four counts of murder, one count of attempted murder, two counts of kidnapping and one count of armed robbery. He has remained in custody since his arrest on May 28, 2017, hours after the shootings. One of his attorneys has said Godbolt is unlikely to use an insanity defense at trial.

Investigators said Godbolt went to his in-laws' home in Bogue Chitto and got into an argument with his estranged wife and her family over the couple's two children. A deputy was called, and a witness said Godbolt shot and killed the deputy, Godbolt's mother-in-law and two other people. After that, Godbolt shot and killed four other people at two other homes, police said.

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/new...n-15043898.php
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

Senior Member CnCP Legend
    Defense attorney: Man accused of killing 8 ‘just snapped’

MAGNOLIA, Miss. (AP) — A man accused of killing eight people in Mississippi was fearful of the breakup of his family and “just snapped,” an attorney for the defendant argued Saturday during the first day of his death penalty trial.

The killings began after Willie Cory Godbolt entered his in-laws’ home in Bogue Chitto and got into an argument with his estranged wife and her family over the couple’s two children, witness Vincent Mitchell testified in a Pike County courtroom, according to The Daily Leader.

Mitchell said Godbolt fatally shot a responding deputy and then killed Godbolt’s mother-in-law and two other people. Godbolt then went to two other homes in south Mississippi’s Lincoln County, killing two of his teenage cousins and a husband and wife, investigators said.

Godbolt’s attorney Katherine Poor told the jurors that her client, now 37, was trying to protect his family and didn’t want his daughter staying at the home, since he believed she had been inappropriately touched by a family member there.

“Cory just snapped,” Poor said. “Cory couldn’t see the breakup of his family. He couldn’t fail to protect his children. In that moment in a haze of fear at the breakup of his family, Cory pulled his gun out.”

After being captured, Godbolt said “I’m sorry” while a reporter was recording him on a cellphone. Jurors were shown the footage Saturday in which he also said, “I just want to love my wife. I just want to love my family. I just want to love my kids.”

Godbolt has pleaded not guilty to four counts of capital murder, four counts of murder, one count of attempted murder, two counts of kidnapping and one count of armed robbery. He has remained in custody since his arrest on May 28, 2017, hours after the shootings.

Because of pretrial publicity in south Mississippi, jury selection was done in north Mississippi’s DeSoto County, 285 miles (459 kilometers) north of Lincoln County. The 12 jurors and three alternates were selected Friday. They are hearing the case in Magnolia, which is near Lincoln County.

The trial was scheduled to continue on Sunday.

https://apnews.com/4c9c4ee6094c104291316ab799cf6ceb

Ex-wife of man accused of killing 8 describes 1st shooting

MAGNOLIA, Miss. (AP) — The now ex-wife of a Mississippi man on trial in the shooting deaths of eight people testified Sunday about how a sheriff’s deputy was shot in the face by the man she described as “abusive” and “controlling.”

Sheena May was the only witness called Sunday at the trial in Magnolia, telling jurors her divorce had become final in recent days, The Daily Leader newspaper reported.

The woman’s ex-husband, Willie Cory Godbolt, 37, is charged with capital murder, accused of fatally shooting the eight, including the deputy who arrived at his in-laws’ home in the long Memorial Day holiday weekend of May 2017. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

May testified that she and Godbolt had been together 17 years, married seven of those, with two children. She said they had separated many times over the years and that she was living with her mother at the time of the shootings.

The killings began after Godbolt entered the in-laws’ home in Bogue Chitto and got into an argument with his estranged wife and her family over the couple’s two children, witness Vincent Mitchell testified earlier at trial, according to The Daily Leader.

Mitchell said Godbolt fatally shot the responding deputy and then killed Godbolt’s mother-in-law and two other people. Godbolt then went to two other homes in south Mississippi’s Lincoln County, killing two of his teenage cousins and a husband and wife, investigators have said.

In Sunday’s testimony, May said she had been at her mother’s house for two months at he time of the shooting. “I chose my life over my marriage. He was very abusive to me, controlling,” she testified.

She said she had called 911 when her sister told her Godbolt had arrived and was outside the home. “I called the police because I was afraid of him,” she told jurors, adding she had sent her two children to stay in a bedroom.

She said she had gone into the living room and Godbolt was then coming in through the kitchen, telling her mother “it was time for them to listen.”

May said the arriving Lincoln County sheriff’s deputy, William Durr, entered the home and asked Godbolt to leave when those present saw Godbolt pull a gun from behind his back and shoot Durr in the face.

May testified that she ran to the bedroom, knocked out a window and ran with her children to a neighbor’s home, calling 911.

Godbolt’s attorney Katherine Poor told the jurors earlier in the trial that her client was trying to protect his family and didn’t want his daughter staying at the home, since he believed she had been inappropriately touched by a family member there.

“Cory just snapped,” Poor had said earlier. “Cory couldn’t see the breakup of his family. He couldn’t fail to protect his children. In that moment in a haze of fear at the breakup of his family, Cory pulled his gun out.”

Godbolt has pleaded not guilty to four counts of capital murder, four counts of murder, one count of attempted murder, two counts of kidnapping and one count of armed robbery. He has remained in custody since his arrest on May 28, 2017, hours after the shootings.

Because of pretrial publicity in south Mississippi, jury selection was conducted in north Mississippi’s DeSoto County, 285 miles (460 kilometers) north of Lincoln County. The 12 jurors and three alternates were selected Friday. They are hearing the case in Magnolia, which is near Lincoln County.

The trial was scheduled to continue Monday.

https://apnews.com/123432817adb2aedc0a6898aba7ceb02

Daughter of man accused of killing 8 describes his abuse

MAGNOLIA, Miss. (AP) — The daughter of a Mississippi man on trial in the shooting deaths of eight people testified Monday that he was abusive and beat her frequently.

My’Khyiah Godbolt took the stand at a courthouse in Magnolia, the Daily Leader newspaper reported, to testify against her father, Willie Cory Godbolt.

Godbolt, 37, is charged with capital murder, accused of fatally shooting eight people, including the deputy who arrived at his in-laws’ home over the Memorial Day in 2017.

Godbolt’s 12-year-old daughter told jurors that he “was very mean” and beat both her and her mother often.

The girl, nicknamed Bubble, didn’t look at her father during her testimony but he kept his gaze on her.

Godbolt appeared agitated, shaking his head and pursing his lips together tightly when she described an attack on her with a plastic bat once when they were practicing baseball outside.

She testified that he became angry when she asked to take a break and beat her repeatedly with the bat. She called to relatives for help, and he responded by threatening her.

“If you ever embarrass me like that again, it’s going to be worse,” she quoted her father as saying.

Jurors also heard testimony from Tamayra May, the adult daughter of victim Toccara May, who hid with her 11-year-old sister in her mother’s car when the shooting began. The jury listened to her 911 call, begging the dispatcher to send help, the Daily Leader reported.

Sheena May took the stand Sunday afternoon, announcing her divorce from Godbolt was final last week.

She said she suffered his abuse for years, leaving when he beat her but coming back because he swore he’d change.

“He said, ‘I love you and I won’t do it no more,’” she said.

On the day of the shootings, she had been living at her mother’s home for two months.

“I chose my life over my marriage” she said.

The killings began after Godbolt entered the in-laws’ home in Bogue Chitto and got into an argument with his estranged wife and her family over the couple’s two children, a witness testified earlier at trial, according to The Daily Leader.

The witness, Vincent Mitchell, testified that Godbolt fatally shot the responding deputy and then killed Godbolt’s mother-in-law and two other people. Godbolt then went to two other homes in south Mississippi’s Lincoln County, killing two of his teenage cousins and a husband and wife, investigators have said.

Because of pretrial publicity in south Mississippi, jury selection was conducted in north Mississippi’s DeSoto County, 285 miles (460 kilometers) north of Lincoln County. The 12 jurors and three alternates were selected Friday. They are hearing the case in Magnolia, which is near Lincoln County.

The trial resumes Tuesday.

https://apnews.com/3c427a1ba2e2aaac468eba9cbdf60793

Cory Godbolt’s sister testifies in day 4 of capital murder trial; Prosecutors seeking the death penalty

37 year old Willie Cory Godbolt is on trial for killing eight people

By Maggie Wade
    WLBT

JACKSON, Miss. (WLBT) - For the fourth day jurors hear testimony in the Willie Cory Godbolt capital murder trial.

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

Godbolt is accused of killing eight people including seven family members and a Lincoln County deputy.

Godbolt’s sister, Shelly Godbolt Porter, on the witness stand says her brother called her and admitted shooting an officer, his mother-in-law and her sister.

LaPeatra Stafford testified Godbolt showed up at her home with assault rifles under his arm and told her he killed a deputy.

She says she drove Godbolt several places pleading with him to give himself up.

The trial continues Wednesday morning in Magnolia at 8:30.

https://www.wlbt.com/2020/02/19/cory...death-penalty/

Autopsy photos shown in trial of man charged with killing 8

MAGNOLIA, Miss. (AP) — A deputy sheriff responding to a domestic dispute was killed by a shot to the left side of his head, a forensic pathologist testified Friday in the death-penalty trial of a man charged with killing the deputy and seven other people in Mississippi.

The defendant, Willie Cory Godbolt, kept his head lowered as photos of the deceased Lincoln County deputy, William Durr, were shown on a screen in the courtroom during the seventh day of testimony, the Daily Leader reported.

Godbolt, 37, previously pleaded not guilty to four counts of capital murder, four counts of murder, one count of attempted murder, two counts of kidnapping and one count of armed robbery. According to testimony earlier in the trial, law enforcement was called after Godbolt went to his in-laws’ home on May 27, 2017, and argued with his estranged wife about their children.

Durr, Barbara Mitchell, Toccara May and Brenda May were shot to death that night. Two more people — 18-year-old Jordan Blackwell and 11-year-old Austin Edwards — were killed at a second home in the early hours of May 28, 2017. Ferral Burage and Sheila Burage, a married couple, were shot to death at a third home a few hours later. Godbolt was arrested near a business as he walked from the Burages’ house, investigators said.

Jurors and about 75 other people in the courtroom Friday saw autopsy photos of Durr, Brenda May and Blackwell. Circuit Judge David Strong warned people about the graphic nature of the photos, and about 10 spectators left before they were shown.

J. Brent Davis with the state medical examiner’s office said Durr was shot three times — in his face, his back and the back of his head. Earlier in the week, Sheena May, Godbolt’s ex-wife, testified she saw Godbolt shoot Durr in the face.

Davis said small hemorrhagic marks on Durr’s face produced by the impact of unburned or partially burned gunpowder particles show the assailant was close to Durr when the gun was fired. The autopsy photo showed an exit wound on the back left of Durr’s neck.

Davis said all gunshot wounds are potentially fatal, but in his opinion, the face shot wouldn’t have killed the officer.

“With medical treatment, could he have survived this?” Assistant District Attorney Brendon Adams asked.

“I believe so, yes,” Davis said.

The shot to Durr’s back also could have been treated and may not have been fatal, Davis said.

However, the shot to the left side of his head, and the exit wound to the top of his head, killed the officer instantly, Davis said.

The jury also saw autopsy photos of Blackwell and May that showed multiple bullet entry and exit wounds to torso, arms and head.

https://apnews.com/42033b22c3d995499499ca3819232279

Jurors see video of accused killer apologizing after 8 slain

BROOKHAVEN, Miss. (AP) — Jurors in a capitol murder trial are seeing video of Cory Godbolt in the hours after he was accused of killing eight people including a sheriff’s deputy in 2017.

In one of the videos seen by jurors on Sunday, Godbolt is seen and heard saying “I’m completely sorry and heartbroken about that deputy.”

Lincoln County sheriff’s Deputy Chuck Francis testified that Godbolt spoke to him about slain Lincoln County Deputy William Durr shortly after his arrest, the Daily Leader reported.

“If the deputy had family, let them know I’m sorry. He was not part of my plan,” Francis recalled Godbolt telling him.

Godbolt, 37, has pleaded not guilty to four counts of capital murder, four counts of murder, one count of attempted murder, two counts of kidnapping and one count of armed robbery.

Jurors also saw cell phone video of Godbolt sitting in handcuffs, bleeding from a gunshot wound to his right arm.

According to testimony earlier in the trial, Godbolt went to his in-laws’ home on May 27, 2017, and argued with his estranged wife about their children. Durr, Barbara Mitchell, Toccara May and Brenda May were shot to death that night.

Two more people — 18-year-old Jordan Blackwell and 11-year-old Austin Edwards — were killed at a second home in the early hours of May 28, 2017.

Ferral Burage and Sheila Burage, a married couple, were shot to death at a third home a few hours later. Godbolt was arrested near a business as he walked from the Burages’ house, investigators said.

https://apnews.com/f0fac096aa1293fb9f05ed24968db27a

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information