Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Willie Cory Godbolt - Mississippi Death Row

Willie Cory Godbolt - Mississippi Death Row

Sheriff’s deputy among 8 dead in Mississippi shootings, police say[/B]

By Amy B. Wang
    The Washington Post

Eight people are dead, including a sheriff’s deputy, after shootings on Saturday night in three homes in rural Mississippi, the Associated Press reported.

A suspect was in custody, but no charges had been filed yet, Mississippi Bureau of Investigation spokesman Warren Strain told the AP on Sunday. He added that it was “premature” to discuss a motive.

As of Sunday morning, the name of the victims, including the deputy, had not been released.

The Clarion-Ledger identified the suspect as Cory Godbolt, who was arrested early Sunday in Lincoln County, in the southwestern part of the state.

A Clarion-Ledger reporter who was at the scene of the arrest took video of Godbolt slumped and handcuffed on a road as officers stood by.

In the video, Godbolt is heard talking about his “pain” over what sounded like a custody battle.

“My intentions was to have God kill me. I ran out of bullets,” Godbolt told the Clarion-Ledger reporter in the video. “Suicide by cop was my intention. I ain’t fit to live. Not after what I done.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.97822f119287

Is it just me thinking that everyone has flipped their lid lately? Hate crime/mass murders have really escalated the past few weeks.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Relative 'devastated' after shooting kills 8 in Mississippi

By Kevin McGill
    The Associated Press

BROOKHAVEN, Miss. – Head in hands, his voice strained, Vincent Mitchell sat outside his little yellow home and tried to make sense of how a family dispute led to a rampage that killed eight people, including the deputy who tried to keep them safe.

"I'm devastated. It don't seem like it's real," Mitchell said shortly after the arrest of his stepson-in-law, Willie Corey Godbolt. "Him and my stepdaughter, they've been going back and forth for a couple of years with that domestic violence."

Godbolt showed up at Mitchell's home in the southern Mississippi town of Bogue Chitto shortly before midnight Saturday to demand that his estranged wife give up their two children. She and the kids had been staying with them for about three weeks, Mitchell told The Associated Press.

"He'd come to get his kids. The deputy was called," and asked him to leave, and it seemed like Godbolt would comply at first, Mitchell said.

"He acted like, motioned like, he was fixing to go. Then he reached in his back pocket and grabbed a gun," Mitchell said. "He just started shooting everything."

Mitchell said he escaped along with Godbolt's wife, but Mitchell's wife, her sister and one of the wife's daughters were killed. Also slain was Deputy William Durr, a two-year sheriff's department veteran and former police officer in nearby Brookhaven, where authorities said Godbolt fled and killed four more people at two other homes.

Mississippi Bureau of Investigation spokesman Warren Strain said prosecutors plan to charge Godbolt, 35, with murder, but it's too soon to say what the motive was. Authorities gave no details on his relationship to the victims, but a member of Godbolt's church told the AP that everyone but the deputy was related to Godbolt by blood or marriage.

Godbolt himself shed some light on what happened, in an interview he gave to The Clarion-Ledger as he sat with his hands cuffed behind his back on the side of a road in Brookhaven, about 70 miles (110 kilometers) south of Jackson.

"I was having a conversation with her stepdaddy and her mama and her, my wife, about me taking my children home," he said. "Somebody called the officer, people that didn't even live at the house. That's what they do. They intervene."

"They cost him his life," he said, apparently referring to Durr. "I'm sorry."

"My pain wasn't designed for him. He was just there," Godbolt said. "I ain't fit to live, not after what I done."

Godbolt was hospitalized in good condition with a gunshot wound, though it wasn't clear who shot him.

"Everybody that got killed was related to him, except the deputy," said Johnny Hall Sr., a longtime member of the New Zion Union M.B. Church in Bogue Chitto, not far from the initial crime scene, where he said Godbolt also was a member.

At least seven hours elapsed between the first shootings and Godbolt's arrest near the final crime scene, in a subdivision of ranch houses.

"It breaks everybody's heart," said Garrett Smith, a 19-year-old college student who went to high school with one of the victims. "Everybody knows everybody for the most part."

Durr, 36, was married and had an 11-year-old son, Lincoln County Sheriff Steve Rushing said.

Off duty, he was a ventriloquist who took his puppets to schools and churches. Two weeks ago, Durr entertained preschoolers at Brookhaven Academy, a Christian school in town. The message he shared was that — like fireflies — people can use their inner light to help those around them.

"His character: top-notch," said Page Nelson, the school's elementary principal.

Godbolt had a different message — he said he hadn't planned to be captured alive.

"My intentions was to have God kill me. I ran out of bullets," he said. "Suicide by cop was my intention."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/05/29...ssissippi.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Teen died a hero, saved cousin during shooting spree

BROOKHAVEN, Miss. — 18-year-old Jordan Blackwell shielded his 15-year-old cousin from bullets when a suspect now accused of killing eight people, including a sheriff's deputy, came into their home, Blackwell's father said.

The home was the second stop of three in a mass murder spree that began late Saturday and ended Sunday morning with the arrest of Willie Cory Godbolt, 35, of Bogue Chitto, Miss.

The problem at Blackwell's house started when his mother, Tiffany Blackwell, received a call from her best friend in the middle of the night. The woman, who is not being identified because she is a domestic-violence victim, said that her estranged husband had come over.

"When she called me she told me something had happened and somebody had gotten shot, I told my husband and my sister and my other friend who was here, 'I need to go be with (her),' " said Tiffany Blackwell, adding that she really hadn't processed what her friend was telling her late Saturday.

So Tiffany Blackwell; her husband, Shon Blackwell; the cousin's mother; and another friend left to go to Bogue Chitto, Miss., about 10 miles south. The four adults never thought leaving several grown children at home in the middle of the night would be unsafe.

After they left, shots were fired at the Blackwells' door lock.

Jordan Blackwell was walking down the hall, talking on FaceTime with his girlfriend. Cousins Caleb Edwards, 15, and Austin Edwards, 11, were in the living room, and Caleb dove behind a large chair.

Bullets caused pieces of the door, walls, floor and an aquarium stand to spray all over the room. Someone kept shooting until he could kick the door in.

Then Caleb recognized Godbolt. When the man got inside, Caleb said he looked at Jordan Blackwell.

"Where's your mama and daddy?" Godbolt asked.

"They're in Bogue Chitto," the 18-year-old said.

Then Godbolt shot him, Caleb said.

Austin also was killed. The boys had been playing video games with their friend Xavier Lilly, 16, in a house where family members said about 12 kids had gathered.

The offspring were all ages, from 3 to 21, and their parents had just been there.

"I never would have thought in a million years that he would hurt the kids," Shon Blackwell said of Godbolt. "He mentored both of them. They looked up to him. ... That's the part that hurts. That the part that penetrates you."

"I want him to wake up every morning and know what he's done. First thing in the morning," Shon Blackwell said. "I just want to ask him, 'Why my son, why Austin?' I want to look him in his face and say, 'Why the two kids, what purpose?'"

Jordan Blackwell was going to be a high school senior in the fall. A talented linebacker, he had started receiving interest from colleges, and his family was particularly excited about a letter he'd received from Jackson State University.

Trace Clopton, who played football with Jordan Blackwell, recalled his friend's character.

"He was always thinking of others," Clopton said. "He was selfless."

Godbolt was either related to or an acquaintance of each victim but one, the deputy who responded to a domestic disturbance call at about 11:30 p.m. CT Saturday, authorities said.

William Durr, 36, a Lincoln County deputy sheriff, died at Godbolt's first stop in Bogue Chitto. Also dead at that house were Goldbolt's mother-in-law, Barbara Mitchell, 55; her daughter, Toccarra May, 35; and Mitchell's sister, Brenda May, 53.

Godbolt's wife and their two children had been staying at Mitchell's Bogue Chitto home for about three weeks after she left her husband, said Vincent Mitchell, the stepfather-in-law of the suspect. When the sheriff's deputy arrived at the house, Godbolt looked as if he were about to leave, then reached into his back pocket, pulled a gun and opened fire.

"I'm devastated. It don't seem like it's real," Mitchell said. He and Godbolt's estranged wife were able to flee without getting shot.

At a third house in Brookhaven, Ferral Burage, 45; and Shelia Burage, 46, were killed.

Godbolt, who was arrested Sunday morning in Brookhaven, about seven hours after the rampage began, remains hospitalized at the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson. He is being treated for a gunshot wound.

Authorities plan to charge him with one count of capital murder in Durr's death and seven counts on first-degree murder in the others. Mississippi Bureau of Investigation spokesman Warren Strain said those charges could change as the investigation continues.

His first appearance in court will be decided when he is released from the hospital.

As deputies held Godbolt on the ground following his arrest, Godbolt talked freely to a Clarion-Ledger reporter. He said he just wanted to "live and let live, and they wouldn't let me do that."

"My pain wasn't designed for him. He was just there," Godbolt said of the deputy. "We was talking about me trying to take the children home. ... Somebody called the officer. ... That's what they do. They intervene. It cost him his life. I'm sorry."

Even before authorities decided to make this a death-penalty case, Godbolt said his next step is death.

"Suicide by cop was my intention," he said Sunday. "I ain't fit to live, not after what I've done."

Durr, married and the father of an 11-year-old son, was a two-year veteran of the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Department and a four-year veteran of the Brookhaven Police Department.

"It's a small community, and everybody's hurting in one way or another," said Sheriff Steve Rushing of Lincoln County, which has a population of about 34,000 about 70 miles south of Jackson. "To me, he died a hero doing his job."

Durr’s family is still in distress.

“He was a good Christian man,” Debbie Durr, the deputy's mother, said at her rural home near Brookhaven. “He was a youth minister and a pastor before going into law enforcement.”

http://www.khou.com/news/nation-now/...pree/444102845
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Suspect Willie Cory Godbolt charged with capital murder, seven counts of first degree murder; denied bail

A Lincoln County Justice Court judge denied bail for a Bogue Chitto man accused of killing eight people in a weekend shooting spree.

The first court appearance for Willie Cory Godbolt, 35, of Bogue Chitto, was held Tuesday afternoon in Copiah County Justice Court in Gallman. The hearing was moved to Copiah County due to safety concerns, officials said.

Godbolt was charged with one count of capital murder and seven counts of first degree murder.

The capital murder charge is for the death of deputy William Durr, 36. The first degree murder charges are for the deaths of Barbara Mitchell, 55, her daughter, Tocarra May, 35, and Mitchell’s sister Brenda May, 53, all of Bogue Chitto; Austin Edwards, 11, and his cousin, Jordan Blackwell, 17, of Brookhaven; Ferral Burage, 45, and Sheila Burage, 46, of Brookhaven.

The court documents detailing the charges against Godbolt state that he knew Durr was a law enforcement officer when he killed him.

Godbolt’s case now goes to Lincoln County Circuit Court. He is expected to get a court appointed attorney Wednesday.

A court official said it would likely be the end of the year before a Lincoln County grand jury hears Godbolt’s case.

If found guilty Godbolt could face the death penalty or life without parole for the capital murder charge. First degree murder can carry a penalty of life in prison with the eligibility of parole. His next appearance in Circuit Court is expected to be at the end of next month.

About 35 people were present for Godbolt’s hearing Tuesday. Several law enforcement officers were in attendance.

Godbolt arrived in an orange jumpsuit with his ankles in shackles. He had a cast on his left arm from a shooting injury he received before being captured by officers Sunday morning.

He stood before Lincoln County Justice Court Judge Roger Martin in silence as the charges were read. He looked directly at Martin and down at the floor at times during the hearing, which lasted about five minutes.

Cameras were not allowed in the courtroom during the hearing, and the windows on the doors were blocked to prevent cameras outside the doors from recording the hearing.

The courtroom was largely empty. There was seating for about 100 people.

Godbolt’s shooting rampage began around 11:30 p.m. Saturday at 2871 Lee Drive in Bogue Chitto, where he allegedly shot to death Durr and three other people — Barbara Mitchell, Tocarra May and Brenda May, said Warren Strain, a spokesman with the Mississippi Bureau of Investigations.

Godbolt arrived shortly after that at Coopertown Road. That’s where he is accused of killing two juveniles, Strain said. The two have been identified by school officials as students in the Brookhaven School District. Edwards was a sixth-grader at Lipsey Middle School. Blackwell was a senior at Brookhaven High School and a linebacker on the Ole Brook football team. Godbolt is accused of killing Ferral and Sheila Burage at their home at 312 East Lincoln Road a short time later, Strain said.

Godbolt was arrested by law enforcement near Super Jack’s at East Lincoln Road and Hwy. 84 as he was walking away from the East Lincoln home, authorities said. He’d been shot in the arm, most likely by someone in one of the three homes where the shootings occurred, Strain said.

Lincoln County Sheriff Steve Rushing said Godbolt eluded police by leaving the scenes quickly and changing vehicles multiple times. He said two other sheriff’s departments and the highway patrol helped his department.

Dee Bates, district attorney for the 14th Circuit Court district, said his office has no comment on the pending investigation involving Godbolt.

“We are working closely with all law enforcement agencies involved,” he said in a statement to the media. “Once the investigation has been completed, the case will be presented to the Lincoln County grand jury for consideration. All persons are entitled to a fair and impartial day in court and are presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.”

Bates offered condolences to the families of those killed.

“Our heartfelt sympathies go out to all families involved in this horrific tragedy. We are working closely with the families of all of the victims that were involved,” he said. “We would also like to commend all law enforcement agencies that have handled this tragic incident with the utmost professionalism.”

Evidence from three crime scenes has been submitted to the State Crime Laboratory for analysis and the State Medical Examiner is conducting autopsies on victims while investigators conduct interviews in the on-going investigation.

http://www.dailyleader.com/2017/05/3...r-denied-bond/
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Mother of Willie Cory Godbolt, suspect in 8 Mississippi murders, killed his police officer father

By Associated Press

Willie Cory Godbolt, the man accused of killing a sheriff's deputy and seven people he knew in rural Mississippi, has led a life marked by violence.

When Godbolt was 17, his mother shot and killed his father, a Brookhaven police officer, after the two had separated, Brookhaven Police Chief Bobby Bell said Tuesday. In the two decades since, Godbolt was charged with misdemeanor assault or similar crimes at least a dozen times, and convicted in at least six of them, Lincoln County court records show.

Last June, his wife accused him of choking and punching her, and putting his hand down her mouth so she couldn't scream.

Investigators say his most violent act yet happened over the weekend when a domestic violence dispute spiraled into a killing spree that left eight people dead at three separate homes. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

About two decades ago, Godbolt's mother accused his father of domestic violence but the charges were later dropped. In 1999, using her ex-husband's police revolver, she shot him to death and pleaded guilty to manslaughter and burglary. She is no longer in prison.

Godbolt, shackled at his hands and feet, appeared in court briefly Tuesday afternoon and was denied bail. He was being held at the Copiah County jail.

His left armed was bandaged from a gunshot wound, but it's not clear who shot him. Investigators say it wasn't police.

Godbolt, who in the past has worked for a grocery distributor, showed little emotion and barely spoke during the hearing. A judge said the court will appoint an attorney for him.

Slain were Lincoln County Sheriff's Deputy William Durr; Barbara Mitchell, 55; Brenda May, 53; Toccara May, 35; Ferral Burage, 45; Shelia Burage, 46; Austin Edwards, 11; and Jordan Blackwell, 18.

Funeral services were scheduled over several days starting Thursday.

In the last four years, Godbolt had been cited repeatedly for making threats or assaulting family members and others. He was convicted after punching a husband and pushing a wife out of the bleachers at a school football game in October 2013.

Godbolt's in-laws, the May family, pressed charges against him multiple times, with Godbolt being convicted of death threats in November 2015.

His wife, Sheena Godbolt, obtained a restraining order against her husband last June after accusing him of felony domestic violence. Sheena Godbolt swore in court papers that her husband harmed her "by punching her in the stomach repeatedly and by choking her. She states he also put his hand down her mouth where she couldn't scream for help."

On Saturday, the initial call came at 11:30 p.m. to remove a person involved in a domestic dispute. Investigators say Godbolt had gone to a home to demand that his estranged wife give up their two children. Durr, the deputy, had told him to leave, and relatives said it seemed Godbolt was going to comply when he opened fire.

"We've handled calls like that a thousand times," Lincoln County Sheriff Steve Rushing said. "At some point, it went really bad."

After killing four people there, Godbolt continued an all-night rampage where he killed the two boys at a second home and then the Burages in a third location around sunrise.

Rushing said Godbolt changed cars at least three times. Witnesses say he forced a woman and then a 15-year-old boy to drive him around for much of the night. Mississippi Bureau of Investigation spokesman Warren Strain declined to confirm those reports.

Aside from the deputy, everyone who died was a relative or acquaintance of Godbolt.

A story of heroism emerged from the carnage. A witness at the second shooting said Blackwell used his body to shield his cousin, Caleb Edwards, 15, from the gunfire.

"He loved me enough to take some bullets for me," Caleb said Sunday.

Caleb's 11-year-old brother, Austin Edwards, was also shot to death in that living room early Sunday.

Godbolt told The Clarion-Ledger that he hadn't planned to be captured alive.

"My intentions was to have God kill me. I ran out of bullets," he said. "Suicide by cop was my intention."

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/201...rt_river_index

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

“Suicide by cop was my intention. I ain’t fit to live. Not after what I done.” - NO KIDDING

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    Lincoln County could spend $85K on possible capital murder trial

LINCOLN COUNTY, Miss. (WJTV) – Corey Godbolt, the man accused of the deadliest shooting spree in Lincoln County, is awaiting to hear whether a grand jury will indict him of seven murder charges and one capital murder charge.

The county is preparing for the possibility of hosting the most expensive trial in county history.

Supervisors voted on Friday to increase the criminal justice budget by $85,000 to cover expenses for the possible Corey Godbolt trial.

“We talked to the D.A. and he said you know anywhere from $60,000 to $100,000 would be his guess,” County Adminstrator Dave Fields said.

He added the criminal justice budget covers operating courts, the sheriff’s department, their jails, and the public defenders office.

The $85,000 bill would also cover expert witnesses, which the county circuit clerk says could cost anywhere between $10,000 to $25,000 each.

To compare, we’re told a typical one day trial with jurors is about $3,000 for the county. “I’ve always heard until this happened that a capital murder charge could bankrupt a county,” Fields said.

Police say Godbolt went on a shooting rampage that left eight people dead at three murder scenes.

If this case goes to trial, there is a possibility it won’t be held at the courthouse in Lincoln County. If that happens, it could add more costs on to the bill.

If the grand jury doesn’t indict Godbolt, he would have already cost the county thousands of dollars. “We spent about $10,000 on attorney fees just to do his preliminary hearing,” Fields said. And according to the circuit clerk, it costs the county around $30 each day he’s in jail.

Lincoln County’s district attorney says the state crime lab is about halfway through processing evidence. He hopes to present the case to the grand jury by December.

http://wjtv.com/2017/09/20/lincoln-c...-murder-trial/

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    Mississippi man to face judge in fatal shooting of 8 people

The Associated Press
    The Sacramento Bee

BROOKHAVEN, MISS. - A Mississippi man is scheduled to be arraigned on charges that he shot eight people to death, including a deputy sheriff.

Willie Cory Godbolt is scheduled to go before a judge Monday in Brookhaven to answer to the charges after being indicted Thursday.

Charges include four counts of capital murder, which could carry the death penalty; four counts of murder, one of attempted murder, two of kidnapping and one of armed robbery.

Godbolt has been jailed without bail since his May 28 arrest, hours after the Lincoln County killings.

Deputy William Durr responded to a disturbance call at the home of Godbolt's in-laws. Durr, Godbolt's mother-in-law Barbara Mitchell, and two others were killed there.

Two people were killed at a second home. Two others were killed at a third home.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-wo...204645859.html
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

Death penalty sought in case of 8 Mississippi killings

By Jeff Amy
    The Tribune

BROOKHAVEN, MISS. - Prosecutors will seek the death penalty against a Mississippi man accused of shooting eight people to death, including a deputy sheriff.

Willie Cory Godbolt pleaded not guilty Monday.

He's been indicted on four counts of capital murder, four counts of murder, one of attempted murder, two of kidnapping and one of armed robbery.

Assistant District Attorney Brendon Adams says prosecutors will seek the death penalty on the capital murder counts.

Godbolt has been jailed without bail since his May 28 arrest, hours after the killings in Lincoln County.

The first shootings happened at the home of Godbolt's in-laws. His mother-in-law, Barbara Mitchell; sheriff's deputy William Durr; and two others were killed there.

Two people each were killed at the second and third homes.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/na...204645859.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information