Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Willie Cory Godbolt - Mississippi Death Row

Senior Member CnCP Legend
    Mississippi man convicted in shooting deaths of 8 people

MAGNOLIA, Miss. (AP) — A Mississippi jury on Tuesday convicted a man in the 2017 shooting deaths of eight people, including some of his own relatives and a deputy sheriff who responded to a domestic disturbance call.

Willie Cory Godbolt, 37, was found guilty on all charges against him after jurors heard nine days of testimony and a partial day of closing arguments, WLBT-TV reported.

The trial enters a second phase Wednesday, with jurors deciding whether to impose the death penalty for four capital murder convictions. If they cannot reach unanimous agreement on that, the judge will sentence Godbolt to life in prison.

Godbolt spoke to the jury during closing arguments Tuesday, saying he expected to be killed himself on the night of the slayings.

“What came from that night was not the fruit of my heart, but of my perception,” Godbolt said. He denied that he tried to control his wife. “To the end of my life I will always adore Sheena Fay Godbolt.”

Godbolt was convicted of four counts of capital murder, four counts of murder, one count of attempted murder, two counts of kidnapping and one count of armed robbery.

According to testimony during the trial, Godbolt went to his in-laws’ home on May 27, 2017, and argued with his estranged wife about their children. Lincoln County deputy sheriff William Durr, Barbara Mitchell, Toccara May and Brenda May were shot to death at that home that night.

Two more people — 18-year-old Jordan Blackwell and 11-year-old Austin Edwards — were killed at a second home in the early hours of May 28, 2017.

Ferral Burage and Sheila Burage, a married couple, were shot to death at a third home a few hours later. Godbolt was arrested near a business as he walked from the Burages’ house, investigators said.

“Of any case out there, this one is full of the defendant’s deliberate design,” assistant district attorney Rodney Tidwell said, adding that “deliberate design” means “intent to kill.”

One of Godbolt’s defense attorneys, Alison Steiner, told jurors during closing arguments that Godbolt felt “genuine love” for his family. She also argued that Godbolt’s state of mind needed to be considered.

“No, he shouldn’t have been shooting at a police officer,” Steiner said. ” He shouldn’t have been there, he shouldn’t have done that, but who would not become passionate if they thought everything they loved was about to be taken away?”

Jurors on Sunday were shown video of Godbolt in the hours after he was accused of killing the eight people, the Daily Leader reported. In one of the videos, Godbolt said: “I’m completely sorry and heartbroken about that deputy.”

Lincoln County sheriff’s Deputy Chuck Francis testified that Godbolt spoke to him about Durr shortly after Godbolt’s arrest.

“If the deputy had family, let them know I’m sorry. He was not part of my plan,” Francis recalled Godbolt telling him.

Jurors also saw cellphone video of Godbolt sitting in handcuffs, bleeding from a gunshot wound to his right arm.

https://apnews.com/e5787b3ebc1f94cf16a28b7b130206ce

Mississippi man gets death sentence for multiple killings

A Mississippi man convicted in eight killings has been given the death penalty for four of the slayings

MAGNOLIA, Miss. -- A Mississippi man was given four death sentences by a jury on Thursday, hours after he spoke in court and blamed the devil for his actions the night eight people were shot to death.

Willie Cory Godbolt, 37, was convicted Tuesday of the May 2017 slayings of eight people. Four of the convictions were for murder, which carry a sentence of life in prison. Four other convictions were for capital murder — a killing committed along with another felony.

Capital murder is punishable by the death penalty, but jurors must agree unanimously to set that as the punishment. Without unanimous agreement, the judge would set sentences of life in prison.

The unanimous decisions for the death penalty were handed down after the same jurors who convicted Godbolt heard testimony from several people Wednesday and Thursday during the penalty phase of the trial, the Daily Leader reported.

Godbolt gave a rambling speech full of religious references in court Thursday, and at one point a spectator seated among the victims' families yelled at him to shut up, the Enterprise-Journal reported.

Godbolt said he had prayed to be a better man, “but the devil came to kill and destroy. He wasn’t going to let that be.”

On Wednesday, jurors heard from victims' relatives, including the widow of a deputy sheriff who was shot to death while responding to a domestic disturbance call and the mother of a teenager who was slain at another home.

Investigators said that on May 27, 2017, Godbolt went to his in-laws' home and argued with his estranged wife about their children. The deputy, Godbolt's mother-in-law and two other people were killed there. In the early hours of the next day, two young people were killed in a second house, and a married couple was killed in a third house.

"My life came to a screeching halt,” Godbolt said earlier Thursday, describing that night. “I couldn’t fight the battle that was raging inside me.”

He quoted words spoken by Jesus on the cross: “'My Lord, My Lord, why hast thou forsaken me?'”

He said he thought his daughter was in in danger from other relatives, and a woman in the audience screamed; “Cory, just shut up! Just stop!”

Circuit Judge David Strong halted proceedings and family members were led out of the courtroom.

Dr. Matt Mendel, a clinical psychologist from Raleigh, North Carolina, had testified Thursday that he interviewed Godbolt and several of his relatives on behalf of the defense. When Godbolt was 17, his stepmother shot and killed his father, which “led to enormous anger and resentment, especially toward women,” Mendel said.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...nalty-69269696
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Senior Member CnCP Legend
    Godbolt entered Mississippi's death row on 3/11/20.

https://www.mdoc.ms.gov/Death-Row/De...lie%20Cory.pdf

No new trial for Mississippi man convicted of killing 8

A Mississippi man convicted this year in the 2017 killings of 8 people appeared in court this week and asked for a new trial. A judge denied the request, saying he will issue a written ruling later.

Willie Cory Godbolt, now 38, was convicted in February of 4 counts of murder and 4 counts of capital murder. He received a sentence of life in prison for each murder conviction and a death sentence for each capital murder conviction. Mississippi defines capital murder as a killing committed along with another felony.

On Wednesday, Lincoln County Circuit Judge David Strong heard arguments from Godbolt, his attorneys and prosecutors about whether to grant a new trial, the Daily Leader reported.

Investigators said that on May 27, 2017, Godbolt went to his in-laws' home and argued with his estranged wife about their children. A Lincoln County deputy sheriff, Godbolt's mother-in-law and 2 other people were killed there. In the early hours of the next day, 2 young people were killed in a 2nd house and a married couple was killed in a 3rd house.

Just before he was sentenced on Feb. 27, Godbolt spoke in court and blamed the devil for his actions on the night he killed 8 people in the south Mississippi towns of Brookhaven and Bogue Chitto.

Godbolt is on death row at the Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman, and he was taken from there to Brookhaven for the Wednesday hearing.

One of Godbolt's attorneys, Alison Steiner, argued Wednesday that the judge "erroneously" allowed the trial's original schedule to proceed, even though the defense team had several changes that made it difficult to provide an adequate defense. Assistant District Attorney Brendon Adams argued there was time to prepare, and the judge agreed.

Steiner also argued that Godbolt should not have had a single trial that combined all the charges. Strong responded that the evidence overlapped and that all the crimes were committed in one sequence of assaults punctuated only by armed robbery and Godbolt riding around talking.

"The physical evidence, circumstantial evidence and direct evidence was so overwhelming that severance was not appropriate," Strong said.

Godbolt himself spoke for 15 minutes Wednesday, arguing that jurors should not have been allowed to see video of an interview that a reporter did with him as he was being arrested. He also argued that his wife should not have been allowed to testify against him during his trial, when their divorce was not yet complete.

Strong said that based on oral arguments, he would deny the request for a new trial. He said he would review documents before issuing a written ruling.

(source: Associated Press)
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Mississippi Supreme Court denies motion by death row inmate who killed deputy and seven others

By Magnolia State Live

A motion for new counsel in the appeal of convicted murderer Willie Cory Godbolt has been denied by the Supreme Court of Mississippi.

The ruling, filed May 25, was made public Tuesday afternoon, May 31.

In its ruling, the Court said Godbolt had provided no basis for his request. His counsel was presumed to be competent and “an indigent criminal defendant is not entitled … to counsel of his own choosing.”

The order was signed by Chief Justice Michael K. Randolph, and noted that all justices had voted to deny the motion.

Godbolt was convicted in 2020 of capital murder in the shooting death of a Lincoln County Sheriff’s deputy and three other people. He received a death sentence.

On Memorial Day weekend 2017, Godbolt took the lives of William Durr, Brenda May, Toccara May, Barbara Mitchell, Jordan Blackwell, Austin Edwards, Ferral Burage and Sheila Burage, tried to kill deputy Timothy Kees, kidnapped LaPeatra Stafford and Xavier Bishop and forced Henry and Alfred Bracey to hand over keys to a car at gunpoint.

He is currently imprisoned at the Mississippi State Penitentiary in Parchman.

https://www.magnoliastatelive.com/20...-seven-others/
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Convicted Killer Of 8 In Bogue Chitto Still Terrorizing, Communicating From Parchman

By THERESE APEL
    Dark Press Horse

In 2017, Corey Godbolt killed his then-wife Sheena May’s mother, sister, aunt, her cousin and her husband, and her best friends’ sons along with a Lincoln County Deputy because she was trying to leave him after a marriage full of abuse and manipulation.

The victims’ names are Barbara Mitchell, Toccara May, Brenda May, Sheila Burrage, Ferral Burrage, Jordan Blackwell, Austin Edwards, and William Durr.

And on Sheena’s birthday, which was Monday, he posted about her on Facebook, seemingly as if to deny her pain and desperate desire to put him out of her life. Looked at with fresh eyes by someone who didn’t know the situation, it was an overly sweet post from an adoring husband; but viewed by anyone who knows the former couple and their history, it is macabre, ominous, even almost terrifying in its audacity.

“I adore you and I honor you. I appreciate your care of our children. You have been a great mother to our babies. I want today to bring the best possible outcome for you imaginable. I salute you I praise you. I thank you from the bottom of my heart,” Godbolt wrote, along with more pontificating and two photos of them from the good days.

Sheena will tell you, however, there really weren’t good days. There were days before he massacred eight people to punish her for leaving him. And to those who question the word “massacre,” loved ones of the deceased point out that evidence and testimony revealed that Godbolt was deliberate. He did not leave anyone wounded. Everyone Godbolt shot that night is dead.

Now in spite of somehow posting on an illegal device from Death Row at Parchman, Godbolt is pretending that either none of it actually happened, or that it just wasn’t important enough to cost him his life, family members say.

Corey acted like a narcissist most of his life, Sheena said, and not only did he bully and manipulate and control her during their marriage, he did the same to a lot of other people throughout his life, including teachers, family, and his own mother.

Every time Godbolt reaches out to her, Sheena blocks the account, but soon enough another one pops up. While sometimes they don’t admit to being him, there are personal touches, such as calling her “Sheena Faye.” She doesn’t use her middle name on any of her social media accounts, plus, she said, you just know the moves of a man you were involved with for most of your life.

Besides his continued ability to contact his family directly, Sheena said, his evil still has impacts on the lives of she and her children in other ways. It’s hard to stay employed once they learn who you are.

“I got fired from a job and they found out who I was, and some people said they don’t want to deal with me,” Sheena said, adding that one of her supervisors was complimentary until it started to circulate who her husband was. “When that name rings a bell, who we are, they don’t like us.”

Her children have faced issues at school, she said, between bullying by other children and scrutiny from school administrators. They didn’t ask for this trouble, Sheena said, and don’t even claim him as their father anymore.

Yet he still looms, no further away than a mobile device.

“It infuriates me”

Godbolt has posted on his Facebook page 37 times since Sheena’s Monday birthday post as of 1 p.m. Wednesday.

It’s time for it to stop, Sheena said. In her opinion, but more accurately in her dreams to one day have a peaceful life that feels safe again, he should not be able to access Facebook or any other way to continue to terrorize his former family.

“My head is pounding right now,” she said. “I’m so tired. When he went to jail that was the best thing, but it feels like he’s still here with me, it feels like he hasn’t hurt me enough, and he has. I’m so tired of Corey right now.”

According to evidence in Godbolt’s 2017 murder trial, after he fatally shot Jordan Blackwell, 18, and his 11-year-old cousin Austin Edwards, the now-convicted murderer texted her.

“Payback bitch. You f*** up my family, now it’s yours, ho.”

Tiffany Blackwell said every time her son’s killer posts to social media, the old fear and trauma raise their heads.

“We’re never going to get over it, but we learned to live with the fact that our family is gone, and there was closure with him locked up,” she said. “But every time a Facebook post is made, it brings it all back up to us, like it will never end.

“You didn’t do enough by taking our family members, you still need to enact pain on us?”

Assistant District Attorney Brendon Adams said his office and the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Department have both reached out to the Mississippi Department of Corrections trying to get Godbolt’s access to the outside world limited so he can’t continue to bully Sheena and her family and friends.

“They’re trying to figure out how he’s getting access to this stuff. Every time we call, it slows down for a little while and then picks back up again. It infuriates me as well,” Adams said.

Godbolt’s posting and contacting has not been limited to the loved ones of his victims. He also contacted a podcaster who claimed particular prowess in helping innocent people on death row get exonerated. After she posted that she planned to host a podcast about his innocence, Sheena reached out to her. That resulted in a 30-minute conversation in which the podcaster admitted to not having even googled the case. She didn’t know Godbolt had killed Sheena’s family members, she didn’t know there were child victims, she didn’t know Willie C. Godbolt’s name was Corey, and she didn’t know there was video evidence. She ended up taking down the post and canceling the podcast.

He could be seen commenting on her posts and sharing the initial post about the podcast on his own page multiple times with a caption proclaiming they were going to “speak the truth about all of it.”

MSSC says no

Sheena said she was told Godbolt is still trying to establish a case that his attorneys were incompetent. He was represented by attorneys Alison Steiner and Katie Poor with the Mississippi Office of the State Public Defender, Capital Division.

The convict had claimed in letters to the Mississippi State Supreme Court that he didn’t want anyone from State Public Defender Andre De Gruy’s office making anymore decisions for him or representing him at all.

But the MSSC was unimpressed. They said he provided no basis for his request for new counsel. The convict, who is indigent, was by most accounts given a dogged defense by his state-appointed attorneys. They were up against video confessions uttered by the convict at the scene of his arrest, as well as dozens of eyewitnesses who had seen the killings, seen circumstances surrounding the killings, and heard the convict say that the next time his family called the police on him, he would “kill the police and then kill everyone,” which is what he did.

But in the midst of proclaiming his innocence and his alleged unfair trial, Godbolt posts on Facebook from a prison cell on Death Row about how “I made some mistakes I can’t change, but I changed so I won’t make the same mistakes.”

Another post Godbolt made on the day after Sheena’s birthday says, “I said this ❓ I said that ❓Hell Ask Me ‼️ I ain’t shy and won’t lie.”

But some of Godbolt’s words were immortalized by video taken on scene at his arrest after he fled the home of Sheila and Ferral Burrage, his final victims. As he was being taken into custody, he never took advantage of his right to remain silent, making comments like, “I ain’t fit to live, not after what I done,” and “somebody called the officer … that’s what they do, they intervene. It cost him his life. I’m sorry.”

“…They came together like nothing I’ve ever seen…”

Adams sees Godbolt’s virtual presence as simply a way to try to remain relevant to a family and a community that have begun to heal and function not only without him, but in spite of him.

“One of the things I personally witnessed is a community was torn into pieces, families, people from all different walks of life and everything. It wasn’t just one family, it was the Durr family, it was Sheena, it was the Blackwells, the Mays, the Edwards. But one thing I don’t think anybody really expected is the way they came together like nothing I’ve ever seen before,” Adams said. “They stayed strong together, had meetings together, and it started with two, three, four families, but a whole county came together to support these people and it still shows today.”

It’s the attempt of someone who has lost control over everything else to assert some dominance, to once again punish Sheena and those who love her, and those who dared to come to her aid, but it’s not going to work, Adams said.

“We had a trial and you saw the record was clear that Corey got up even in his own closing arguments and I think he still thought he could control people even then,” Adams said. “I think the jury verdict showed differently and I believe that the strength these families have had shows differently.”

https://darkhorsepressnow.com/convic...from-parchman/
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

I actually went to Facebook and found his account and that post. No angry reacts or comments. No mention of the murders, it’s like all his “friends” are bots or delusional antis.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Bogue Chitto Death Row inmate petitions Supreme Court for oral arguments

By Brett Campbell
    The Daily Leader

A Bogue Chitto man on Death Row for multiple murders in Lincoln County has petitioned the Mississippi Supreme Court to make oral arguments. Willie Cory Godbolt was convicted in February 2020 of capital murder for the 2017 slayings of Lincoln County Deputy William Durr, and three other people — Austin Edwards, Jordan Blackwell and Sheila Burage. Godbolt also received life in prison for the murders of Brenda May, Toccara May, Barbara Mitchell and Ferral Burage, life in prison for the attempted murder of Kees and life for the kidnapping of Xavier Lilly, 20 years for the kidnapping of LaPeatra Stafford and 20 years for armed robbery. Now 41, Godbolt wrote a petition in pencil on yellow legal pad paper, dated it Oct. 9, and mailed it from the Mississippi State Penitentiary to the Office of the Clerk, Supreme Court, Court of Appeals. The Court filed the petition Friday, Oct. 13, 2023.

With no edits, the petition states in part: “Appellant Counsel have been granted a Motion to make Oral Arguments on November 14, 2023. Godbolt ask for due consideration that he be allowed to make oral arguments as well. Godbolt is recognized in this Court as Pro Se. Godbolt solely did preparation and the completion of his Appellant Brief. Therefore Godbolt Counsel whom did not submit the Pro Se issues. Can not have dual allegiance over Oral Arguments. Respectfully Godbolt request the he be allowed an allotted portion to make argument of his own. Godbolt pray that this motion be granted.” On Sept. 29, the Court Administrator Hubbard T. Saunders IV had granted the attorneys’ request for oral argument, which was then scheduled for Nov. 14 at 1:30 p.m. Oral arguments may be viewed on the Court website at http://courts.ms.gov. The State and Godbolt’s attorneys will each have 30 minutes to speak before the Court on that day. If Godbolt is granted an opportunity to speak, it will be within the time allotted for his attorneys. Lincoln County Circuit Court Judge David Strong originally set July 15, 2020, as the date for Godbolt’s execution to be carried out at the Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman, though direct appeal was automatic, and multiple avenues of appeal were expected to be followed by the convicted. Godbolt’s attorneys previously petitioned the district court for a new trial in July 2020. Judge Strong said he would not grant a new trial based on any point presented during that court session.

https://www.dailyleader.com/2023/10/...ral-arguments/

High Court denies death row inmate’s request to argue his own case

By Anthony Warren
    WLBT

JACKSON, Miss. - Willie Cory Godbolt will soon have his case argued before the Mississippi Supreme Court.

He just won’t be granted permission to make arguments himself.

This week, the state’s highest court rejected the death row inmate’s request to make oral arguments on his own behalf.

Godbolt, who is now at the Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman, filed his request on October 13.

The order denying his request was signed off on by Chief Justice Michael Randolph, and Justices Josiah Coleman, James Maxwell, Dawn Beam, Robert Chamberlin, David Ishee, and Kenneth Griffis.

Opposed were Justices Jim Kitchens and Leslie King. King, a presiding justice, said denying Godbolt’s motion “is disharmonious with a defendant’s right to be heard under Article 3, Section 26 of the Mississippi Constitution.”

Godbolt was found guilty in 2020 in connection with the shooting deaths of eight people. He was sentenced to death for killing Deputy William Durr, Jordan Blackwell, Austin Edwards, and Sheila Burage.

He was sentenced to life in prison for the deaths of Brenda May, Barbara Mitchell, Toccara May, and Feral Burage.

Godbolt also was sentenced on two counts of kidnapping, one count of armed robbery, and one count of attempted murder.

Godbolt appealed his conviction, saying the trial court erred on several fronts, including denying his right to sever by trying him on multiple crimes at once, and by denying him the right to an impartial jury.

According to a 37-page filing, he said four of the 12 jurors assigned to hear his case had ties to law enforcement.

Oral arguments are slated for Tuesday, November 14 at 1:30 p.m.

https://www.wlbt.com/2023/11/03/high...outputType=amp

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Mississippi Supreme Court affirms a death row inmate's convictions in the killings of 8 people

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — The Mississippi Supreme Court has affirmed the convictions and death sentences of a man in the killings of eight people, including his mother-in-law and a deputy sheriff, at three different crime scenes one long night in 2017. Justices turned away all 19 points of appeal on Thursday, including claims of an unfair jury and ineffective defense.

Willie Cory Godbolt was convicted in February 2020 of four counts of capital murder, four counts of murder, two counts of kidnapping, one count of attempted murder and one count of armed robbery.

A jury sentenced Godbolt to death for each of the capital murders. For the other convictions, Godbolt was sentenced to six life sentences and two 20-year terms.

Godbolt spoke in court just before his sentencing, blaming the devil for his actions on the night he killed eight people in the south Mississippi towns of Brookhaven and Bogue Chitto.

Investigators said the violence began when Godbolt went to his in-laws' house on May 27, 2017, and argued with his estranged wife about their children.

The family called for help, and a Lincoln County deputy sheriff who responded was fatally shot in the face. Godbolt’s mother-in-law and two other people were killed there. In the early hours of the next day, two young people were killed in a second house and a married couple was killed in a third house.

Godbolt, now 41, is on death row at the Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman.

Seven justices affirmed Godbolt's conviction, but justices Leslie King and Jim Kitchens dissented. King wrote that Goldbolt was deprived of the constitutional right to a fair and impartial jury because the pool included a large number of people with connections to law enforcement, and four were selected as jurors.

https://www.newstimes.com/news/artic...w-18712054.php

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information