View Poll Results: Are we getting too lenient concerning capital punishment?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 85.71%
  • No

1 14.29%

Thread: Are we getting too soft regarding the Death Penalty/Capital Punishment?

WillyB

Are we getting too soft regarding the Death Penalty/Capital Punishment?

I notice some states have got rid of the DP and I'm hoping other states don't follow.UK is in a terrible state with terrorism and if these people get arrested they have nothing to lose, just a ''time out'' and fed 3 meals a day by taxpayers.

I notice in the media there's all this talk about what is humane, and now the lethal injection needs to be banned because one guy's execution was botched. In the 1980's there were things such as firing squad, electric chair and gas chamber. The inmate couldn't choose. But most executions now seem to be LI which most of the time just sends them off to a peaceful slumber, snoring. I'll add they're going out of their way for these expensive drugs when a bullet or a jolt is much cheaper and strikes me much more of a punishment. If a death row inmate 'gasps' after being injected, there's an uproar. When Ted Bundy was electrocuted, people seemed happy.

In the UK there was a poll if we'd like death penalty for terrorists. Only about 60% voted 'yes' which to me seems like a low number. Maybe it's just my paranoia but I can't help but think we're coddling the worst of the worst here. Soldiers go out and kill terrorists because some people are beyond rehabilitation. Do I believe in rehabilitation for drug addicts, DUI's, bank robbers? Yes, but not for serial murderers who boast how they will kill again and kill other inmates. You don't rehabilitate a rabid dog and teach it not to be rabid. You put it down.

We seem to be moving to an era of ''love and tolerate'' and if you're against any of that in any context you're a 'sociopath' or something.

Humans don't have a primal fear of a ''time out'' and free meals each day. They do however have a primal fear of death which is why I believe in capital punishment very strongly, also the pain before death is linked to that. I'm scared of having a heart attack or falling and breaking my neck but I'm not so scared of falling asleep and dying.
    Last edited by WillyB; 07-21-2017 at 02:37 PM.

Yes we absolutely are getting too soft. We should have hundreds of executions every year. We should have capital punishment in all 50 states with judicial override. Executions should be carried out with nitrogen gas or firing squad. Also I believe we should copy Japan's system of no last appeals/little advanced notice. Also possibily strip death row inmates of citizenship so that the constitution doesn’t apply to them and they can't raise such claims. I'd also like to see Atkins v. Virginia, Kennedy v. Louisiana, and Roper v. Simmons as well as Thompson v. Oklahoma overturned.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

WillyB
    Hi there. I agree. We really need it in the UK right now because this year has been nuts for us. In terms of execution method, I don't believe nitrogen gas is appropriate for mass murderers or terrorists as it's an inert gas that sends them to sleep without any sense of asphyxiation (at all) while cyanide gas does (last gas chamber execution was in 1999, correct me if I'm wrong.). Firing squad is a good method as a bullet is cheap while it's also intimidating.

I was watching a documentary on Japan's penal system the other night which included a segment on this. The death row blocks are very drab and executions are carried out more quickly. Japan also has a very low crime rate.
    Last edited by WillyB; 07-21-2017 at 02:59 PM.

Senior Member CnCP Addict Richard86's Avatar
    The problem with hydrogen cyanide is the cost, the supply of the materials, and the risk it poses to people who aren't the condemned. Apart from the supply issue (which can be partly resolved with a nitrogen generator and training an in house service engineer) nitrogen doesn't have these problems, and even on the supply issue nitrogen is a far less regulated substance than the materials needed to generate cyanide gas. I agree, it's a pretty painless death, but for practical purposes it's far easier than other methods.

If nitrogen is too much of an easy way out I'd propose guillotine. That's quick, looks far more gruesome than it really is so provides a good deterrent, and provides a consistent death (no heads coming off like in hanging, veins collapsing like in lethal injection, the condemned trying to hold their breath like in gas chamber, fires and poor conductivity like in electric chair). The way the French did it upto the late 70s was pretty good. Turn up early one morning, tell the condemned their mercy petition had been refused, give them a meal and a glass of rum, walk them up to the guillotine, put them in there, boom, let the head and body roll into the coffin and hose down the guillotine.

WillyB
    I can see people protesting against the guillotine. Remember when Allen Davis was electrocuted and had a nosebleed which sent people whining about it being proof it's 'inhumane' and 'barbaric'?

Thread Information