Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phillip Michael Stroupe II Sentenced to LWOP in 2017 NC Murder of Thomas “Tommy” Bryson

Phillip Michael Stroupe II Sentenced to LWOP in 2017 NC Murder of Thomas “Tommy” Bryson

Body of missing man, Thomas Bryson, found in Buncombe Co.

By Scottie Kay Auton
    WSPA News

BUNCOMBE CO., N.C. – Authorities say the body of a missing man believed to have been kidnapped by a suspect on the run for six days has been found.

Thomas “Tommy” Bryson was reported missing on Wednesday morning. He disappeared during a manhunt for Phillip Stroupe II, a suspect who fled into the Pisgah National Forest, and led authorities on a five-day manhunt before his capture.

The Henderson County Sheriff’s Office said Bryson’s body was found around 8:30 p.m. Sunday in a corn field on Glenn Bridge Road in the Arden community.

Family said Bryson
    was planning to take his sister to a doctor’s appointment when he left his home in Mills River around 8:30 a.m. Wednesday. Bryson lived in the area where Stroupe had been spotted during the manhunt.

Stroupe was later found driving Bryson’s Honda Ridgeline truck and was arrested after a chase Thursday in McDowell County.

McDowell County Sheriff Dudley Greene
    says deputies found a firearm near the spot where Stroupe abandoned Bryson’s truck.

“Our deepest sympathies goes out to the family of Tommy Bryson,” Allison Nock with the Henderson County Sheriff’s Office said.

Authorities are expected to release more information on Monday.

http://wspa.com/2017/07/30/body-of-m...n-buncombe-co/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Stroupe charged with murder; DA will seek death penalty

Phillip Michael Stroupe has been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Thomas Bryson, and District Attorney Greg Newman said his office will seek the death penalty.

Sheriff Charles McDonald said Bryson’s body was found about 20 minutes from where Bryson was abducted on South Mills River Road, and he believes Bryson was killed soon after he was taken.

His body was found by a family member who was driving in the area trying to make sense of information searchers had received, McDonald said. He added that he believes it was divine intervention, as the location was out of the way and not easily found.

The first three suspects’ charges have now been upgraded to felony assisting after the fact.

Newman said the family had no hesitation against seeking the death penalty and supported the move.

Bryson’s body was found Sunday evening at the intersection of Glenn Bridge Road and Glenn Bridge Southeast.

The Sheriff’s Office is still investigating.

Stroupe’s next court date in District Court is Aug. 21, although Newman said he was looking to have the case moved to Superior Court instead.

McDonald said he believes Bryson was taken simply because Stroupe needed a vehicle.

Stroupe now faces 15 charges, including first-degree kidnapping, across Henderson, McDowell and Transylvania counties.

http://www.blueridgenow.com/news/201...-death-penalty

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    Bond denied for Phillip Stroupe II on First-Degree Murder charge

HENDERSON Co., NC (WSPA) – Phillip Stroupe II was denied bond on a new charge of First-Degree Murder in Henderson Co. court Tuesday morning.

Stroupe is accused of killing Thomas Bryson. Bryson’s body was found in a corn field in Arden, NC on Sunday night.

The district attorney will be seeking the death penalty against Phillip Stroupe II.

Stroupe is being charged with First Degree Murder in the death of Thomas Bryson.

FULL LIST OF CHARGES

Henderson County
    · First degree murder
    · First degree kidnapping
    · Felony larceny of motor vehicle

McDowell County
    · Possession of methamphetamine
    · Fleeing to elude arrest
    · Failure to stop for a steady red light
    · Reckless driving to endanger
    · Resisting a public officer
    · Possession of a firearm by a felon

Transylvania County
    · Felony carrying concealed
    · Possession of firearm by felon
    · Drive on closed/unopened highway
    · Reckless driving to endanger
    · Robbery with a dangerous weapon
    · Felony flee/ elude arrest with motor vehicle

Stroupe was on the run for days after he ran from law enforcement into Pisgah Forest.

He was captured Thursday in McDowell Co. He was found with Bryson’s truck.

Stroupe’s father, Phillip Michael Stroupe, 65, of Burnsville, has been charged with felony accessory after the fact of first-degree kidnapping and felony accessory after the fact of first-degree murder.

Jennifer Elaine Hawkins, 40, Frederick Aurther Badgero Jr., 45, and Larry Jay Hawkins III, 23, are charged with felony accessory after the fact or first-degree murder.

Deputies say the three helped Phillip Michael Stroupe II evade law enforcement.

http://wspa.com/2017/07/31/prosecuto...ip-stroupe-ii/

McDowell trial date set for accused killer Phillip Stroupe II

By WLOS Staff

MCDOWELL COUNTY, N.C. (WLOS) — A man who's awaiting trial for capital murder will be in court for crimes investigators say he committed after the murder.

Phillip Stroupe II is accused of killing Thomas Bryson in Henderson County.

Investigators say Stroupe broke several laws while on the run, before he was captured in McDowell County.

During a hearing Monday in McDowell County Court, a trial date was set for Dec. 4 for the felonies he's charged with there.

http://wlos.com/news/local/mcdowell-...lip-stroupe-ii
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

DA asks for judge to oversee Stroupe case

By Derek Lacey
    BlueRidgeNow.com

A judge with death penalty certification will be requested to preside over the Phillip Stroupe II first-degree murder case, ensuring continuity and cohesion in the case, District Attorney Greg Newman said.

In Henderson County Superior Court Monday, Newman asked Judge Mark Powell to request that the judge be appointed, as Newman’s office is seeking the death penalty.

Newman asked Powell to formally request the North Carolina Administrative Office of the Courts appoint a judge, which Powell agreed to do. Powell said he will not request any specific judge or a judge from any specific part of the state, saying it’s all in Raleigh’s hands.

To hear a death penalty case, judges have to have certain training and certifications, Newman explained. That was the main reason for the request, but having a particular judge preside over the entire case also ensures continuity and cohesion, Newman added, as superior court judges are assigned to a region every six months.

Newman also said he’s been working with the county jail to have Stroupe brought back to Henderson County. This would allow Stroupe’s attorneys more access to their client and help move the case along.

If Stroupe were to remain in Raleigh, Newman said it could have the unfortunate result of delaying the case.

Stroupe was indicted in August on charges of first-degree murder, robbery with a dangerous weapon and first-degree kidnapping in connection with the July 26 homicide of 68-year-old Mills River resident Thomas Bryson. Stroupe was arrested July 27 in McDowell County, and Bryson’s body was discovered off Glenn Bridge Road in Arden July 30.

The Henderson County Sheriff’s Office has not provided Newman with all the evidence yet, the district attorney told Powell Monday. He said the Sheriff’s Office is still working with several counties in the area and even in Tennessee.

He said HCSO, in addition to the evidence it has collected, is serving as a clearinghouse for other counties involved in the case, including Transylvania, Buncombe and McDowell, and is almost finished.

Another court appearance was scheduled for Stroupe for Dec. 11, to update on the progress on the judge appointment and work on timetables for motions and the trial itself.

Newman said he’s hoping to announce the pretrial hearing and trial schedule before the end of the calendar year.

Stroupe waived his right to appear in court Monday.

http://www.blueridgenow.com/news/201...e-stroupe-case

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

'So much beauty and love' emerges from Mills River tragedy

By David Thompson
    The Asheville Citizen-Times

MILLS RIVER - Joey Bryson paced the driveway outside his Mills River home, the dark rings under his eyes revealing days of stress and uncertainty as authorities searched for his missing father.

It had been five days since Thomas “Tommy” Bryson had gone missing. Joey and his older brother Rick had not slept and barely eaten. Their father’s alleged kidnapper, Phillip Michael Stroupe II, had been captured in McDowell four days prior, but authorities said he would not cooperate in the search.

“The only way I can describe those five days was, hell on earth,” Joey said. “Where was my dad? Was he alive? Dead? Would he be walking up the driveway any minute? It was an absolute nightmare.”

That night, late Sunday, July 30, Henderson County Sheriff Charles McDonald would deliver news to the Bryson family that they had feared the most.

Tommy’s body had been found in a cornfield off Glenn Bridge Road in Buncombe County. Police reports would later state he had been shot in the head.

Joey’s wife, April Bryson, stood beside her husband, her hand on his back, as McDonald addressed the family.

“I watched for five days, the tension, the not knowing, and I think the possibility of never finding Tommy was really weighing on Joey,” April said. “When the sheriff told us the news, I felt his whole back release. It was this relief of no more wondering or guessing. We could bring him back home.”

Nearly four months since Tommy’s death, the wounds of a family and community continue to heal after a random act of violence and evil robbed them of a town patriarch and a sense of security.

For the first time in many people’s lives, doors and windows were locked and firearms were kept loaded at arm’s length. The wound of losing Tommy has slowly subsided, but for many the scar it left on the town of Mills River will remain.

“It tests your faith that something so senseless and random can happen to someone you love so much,” Joey said. “But through this tragedy, we’ve received so much beauty and love.”

After Bryson’s killling, thousands of residents holding candles lined the highway into town. His funeral at Hendersonville First Baptist Church was standing room only as people from all over came to visit the Bryson family, bringing kind words and casseroles.

Nearly 500 hand-written letters were delivered to the family, many addressed to Tommy’s widow, Lynn Bryson.

“It’s funny because my dad would’ve never wanted something like that. He was such a low key, humble guy,” Joey said. “But it was a good lesson to teach my kids. This is the kind of impact you can have on the world when you live life the right way.”

A missed phone call and special voice mail

John Thorsland keeps a single voicemail saved on his cell phone. It’s from Tommy, on the morning he was kidnapped.

Thorsland owns a local business, Thorsland Concrete and Construction, and visited the Bryson property earlier in the week to talk about installing a basketball court for Bryson’s grandkids. Tommy was a die-hard North Carolina Tar Heels fan and an avid supporter of the West Henderson High Falcons, where Joey and April work as the boys’ and girls’ basketball coach.

“It’s eerie looking back at it,” Thorsland said. “I remember April saying she wanted to leave the house because that Stroupe guy was on the loose. Tommy laughed it off.”

Police had followed Stroupe into Pisgah National Forest on the suspicion he broke into a building in Henderson County and then robbed a man of his mountain bike at gunpoint, according to authorities.

Stroupe had spent most the past two decades behind bars on charges including robbery with a dangerous weapon and false imprisonment, according to North Carolina prison records.

The six-day manhunt forced authorities to close popular sections of the forest and led Stroupe toward Mills River and Bryson’s property.

On Wednesday morning, July 26, Tommy left the house to pick his sister up for a doctor’s appointment. On the way down his steep rocky driveway, Tommy called Thorsland to talk more about the basketball court. Thorsland missed the call.

“I called him back that night and Joey picked up the phone,” Thorsland said, his voice shaking with emotion. “I realized later that this was probably the last call he made before he was abducted. I’ll never erase that voicemail.”

Thorsland said he wanted to pour the concrete for the basketball court as a surprise for Tommy when he returned. When he didn’t, he felt responsible to finish it for the family. He completed the court for free.

Outside of the Bryson’s home now sits a West Henderson themed red and blue sports court. Joey, April and their three kids all put hand prints on the court and the date “1970” – the year Tommy and Lynn married – as well as “thank you paw paw” written in by his grandkids.

“Through the tragedy, you can see a ray of hope through a family like the Bryson's,” Thorsland said. “I walked away hoping that the court will remind me how important life is and how important family is. I’m a father, I have children. I think we could all look at their family and see our own.”

Safety for the community

The community of Mills River was shaken after the news of Bryson’s killing. Many for the first time in their lives felt unsafe in their small mountain community.

Aurelie Taylor, a Mills River city employee, said she was afraid to leave the house for several days after Bryson was kidnapped

“It just felt like things were different all of a sudden,” Taylor said. “Like things weren’t as safe as they used to be.”

City Manager Jeff Walls called Bryson's killing a “devastating tragedy” and hopes his plan to add cell towers in the area will help communication if another situation like this arises.

“When you get way out to some of these places, your cell phone simply cannot make calls,” Walls said. ‘I don’t know if something like this would’ve saved Tommy’s life, but it probably would’ve aided in the communication of the people trying to find him.”

Walls said he believes local landowners must first agree to put cell towers on their property before cell service will improve.

“All I want is for people to feel safe in their community,” Walls said.

Never missed a home game

Days after their father’s death, Joey and Rick sat silently on a bench at Mills River Park, contemplating the events of the week before. It was the same park where they had regularly met with local police officers during the search for their father.

Rick broke the silence.

“What kind of park in North Carolina does not have a basketball court?” Rick said.

Joey thought back to his father introducing him to basketball in the third grade, driving him to practice and attending every game.

Tommy – a 1967 graduate of West Henderson High School – sat in the stands as Joey set the scoring record for the Falcons in 1995. He never missed a home game when Joey played college basketball at Western Carolina University, even driving nearly two hours once to find a radio signal for a road game in Missouri.

“We decided right then and there that the perfect way to remember my father was to build basketball courts at Mills River Park,” Joey said.

The Bryson family created the Tommy Bryson Legacy Fund which has since raised nearly $20,000 for the new basketball courts at the park.

The family, with the help of West Henderson cross country coach Greg Price, will host the Tommy A. Bryson Memorial 5K Deer Dash run on Dec. 2 with all proceeds going towards the Tommy Bryson Memorial Basketball Court.

The race is one of many ways the community has supported the Bryson family.

Vicki Price, the wife of Greg Price, works at Elaine’s Beauty Nook in town, where Lynn Bryson gets her haircut every three weeks. Price said they emptied the shop for Lynn’s first haircut after her husband’s death.

“We knew it was going to be emotional for her, but we all wanted to be there for her in any way we could be,” Price said. “That’s what makes a community great: support and love.”

Price said she and the rest of the employees at Elaine’s Beauty Nook will walk with Lynn during the event.

“We’ll always be there for her, and this family,” Price said.

Acceptance

The grief is still fresh for Joey and his family. Many nights are spent tearfully reminiscing about Tommy and the senseless crime that took his life.

Stroupe is facing capital murder charges in Henderson County and District Attorney Greg Newman said in August he plans to pursue the death penalty.

Joey said he plans to accept the outcome of Stroupe’s case and move on with his life. He said a recent dream helped him come to that conclusion. A dream that helped ease some of his anger.

“I was walking down this brightly lit hallway and I saw a man. When he turned around, it was my dad when he was younger,” Joey said. “He walked over to me and said, 'Hey son' and hugged my neck. I woke up in tears and I was so happy. I called my mom and I told her, 'I just saw my dad in heaven.'”

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/s...edy/779986001/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

DA: Murder trial set for Phillip Stroupe II

By Savannah Sandov
    Fox Carolina News

HENDERSONVILLE, NC (FOX Carolina) - District Attorney Greg Newman has set the murder trial for Phillip Stroupe II. The trial will begin on Jul. 23, 2018 at the Henderson County Courthouse, the district attorney's office said.

Stroupe is accused of the Jul. 26 murder of Thomas Bryson, the office said. According to the district attorney, Stroupe is also charged with robbery with a dangerous weapon and first degree kidnapping.

District Attorney Newman said he plans to seek the death penalty if Stroupe is convicted.

“The only pending motion at this time is the defendant’s request to change the county where the trial is held. There will be other motions filed, perhaps by both sides, that will be addressed by the judge on May 28 of next year,” said Newman.

According to the district attorney's office, Stroupe's father is also facing charges in relation to the incident.

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/367...lip-stroupe-ii

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    Change of venue request denied in Stroupe trial

By WLOS

HENDERSON COUNTY, N.C. (WLOS) — A judge on Tuesday denied a request to move the murder trial of Phillip Stroupe II from Henderson County.

Stroupe is charged with the murder in the shooting death of Thomas Bryson, of Mills River, last July.

Proseuctors say they will seek the death penalty.

Superior Court Judge Gregory Horne, of Watauga County, will preside over the trial. On Tuesday, Horne heard pretrial motions, including the change of venue request and a motion to delay the trial.

The trial, which was supposed to start in July, will now begin no sooner than Jan. 28, 2019.

http://wlos.com/news/local/change-of...-stroupe-trial
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

Related:

Thomas A. Bryson Memorial Court to open on Tuesday

By Joey Millwood
    BlueRidgeNow.com

It’s been nearly a year since the Bryson family lost its patriarch.

Phillip Stroupe II is awaiting trial for the murder of Thomas Bryson, who was found in a cornfield last year on July 26.

From the sadness, however, the Bryson family is trying to bring something positive.

On Tuesday, the Brysons and the Mills River community will commemorate Thomas Bryson with a new basketball court at the Mills River Park. The Thomas A. Bryson Memorial Court will be dedicated after nearly a year of fundraising that netted over $40,000.

“That’s the most important thing for us is the legacy that my dad left behind,” West Henderson basketball coach Joey Bryson said. “He loved Mills River Valley. He loved basketball. He loved West Henderson basketball. I think it’s a pretty awesome tribute to him.”

All of those things that Thomas Bryson loved will be celebrated at Tuesday’s ribbon-cutting ceremony.

The court has six goals and one main court that is lined. It’ll be there, Joey Bryson said, for the Mills River community to enjoy because there are no other public courts to be played on.

At the ceremony, all six of Thomas Bryson’s grandchildren – ages 8-to-18 – will take shots to christen the courts. After that, the first game to be played will be by the West girls’ and boys’ varsity basketball teams.

The fundraising efforts began last October with a 5k and has included a golf tournament and many people in the community donating money, Joey Bryson said.

Tuesday will not only be a culmination of those efforts, but it will also be one more step in the healing process for a family that was hurt by a tragedy.

“I think it’s part of the healing,” Bryson said. “We’re trying to do some positive things out of the tragedy.”

The ceremony is set for 6 p.m.

http://www.blueridgenow.com/sports/2...pen-on-tuesday

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Citing shutdown, defense seeks delay of Stroupe murder trial

By Bill Moss
    Hendersonville Lightning

Chalk up another unintended consequence of the government shutdown. The shutdown has prevented defense lawyers representing accused murder Phillip Michael Stroupe II from receiving a potentially key piece of evidence from the federal government, a lapse in service that the public defender cites to support a request to postpone the trial for a second time.

The attorneys for Stroupe, charged with the murder of Thomas A. “Tommy” Bryson in July 2017, filed a new motion last week asking Superior Court Judge W. Robert Bell to delay the murder trial a second time. One reason for the delay, Public Defender Paul B. Welch III said, is that the federal government shutdown has delayed the government’s response to the defense’s Freedom of Information request for sensor data from a federally owned helicopter involved in the manhunt for Stroupe.

The defense “is informed and believes” that the data, “if and when received, will indicate the searchers knew or should have known where Mr. Stroupe could be located” well before he abducted Bryson and failed to act on the information.

For that and other reasons, Welch said, the defense needs more time to prepare a defense of Stroupe, whose first-degree murder trial is currently scheduled to start Jan. 28. In the motion, Welch repeated his earlier arguments that the defense needed more time to prepare an effective defense of a client on trial for his life. The time constraints that existed last May persist, Welch said.

Noel E. Nickle, a mitigation specialist assigned to the case by the state Capital Defender, said last May that she would need 18 months to complete the amount of work needed for “an effective mitigation investigation.” Since then, some tasks have been completed and some remain, she said, and some of what she’s found has led to the need for follow-ups such as interviews and records requests. Nickle said she needed at least nine more months to complete the mitigation investigation, which produces evidence a defense team uses to argue against a death sentence for their client.

“The amount of time the defense has defense has had to prepare is quite simply inadequate,” Welch said, even with the additional six months Superior Court Judge Robert Bell granted last summer. “It is well outside the norm for a capital case to be tried only 18 months after the alleged defense.”

Welch asked for at least 12 more months to prepare, given that the defense team needs to review, organize and evaluate more than 30,000 pages of evidence and hundreds of gigabytes of digital records obtained through discovery.

“We’re working to schedule a hearing next week” on the public defender’s motion, District Attorney Greg Newman said. “The answer is as we sit here right now it’s still scheduled to go (to trial on Jan. 28). As things stand right now we will oppose” the motion to postpone the case.

The public defender also filed a motion asking Judge Bell to disqualify Newman from prosecuting the case because an attorney Newman hired had represented Stroupe’s father, Phillip Michael Stroupe Sr., while in private practice.

Stroupe II and his defense attorneys believe the attorney, Jason Hayes, “acquired confidential information” from the senior Stroupe about the murder defendant, Welch said. The information, he added, “could be used to the detriment” of both Stroupes.

Because the alleged conflict of interest “extends by imputation to the elected prosecutor and all his attorney staff,” the entire office should be disqualified, Welch said.

“Most of the information if not all information is duplicative for both of those cases,” Newman said. “I don’t think he possesses any information that would help us prosecute the case but he would not violate that confidence anyway. That is sacrosanct. You cannot pass it on. He certainly would not and we would not expect him to.”

On Dec. 17 Judge Bell granted the defense team’s request to return Stroupe from Central Prison to the Henderson County jail for “more frequent contact with his defense team.” He also granted Welch’s request requiring jail personnel to administer regular doses of medication for their client. An earlier experience of withdrawal from “one of more of these medications” was “strongly negative, and may have contributed to a suicide attempt.”

Stroupe is prescribed three capsules per day of Gabapentin, which can be used for nerve pain; two tablets a day of Hydroxyzine and two 50-mg tablets of Tramadol every 12 hours as needed for pain, according to records the public defender filed with the motion.

https://www.hendersonvillelightning....8-stroupe.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information