Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If the UK were to bring back capital punishment what methods would likely be used?

WillyB

If the UK were to bring back capital punishment what methods would likely be used?

I bring this up since we're leaving the European Union (Brexit) which is something that forbids capital punishment under human rights laws governed by the EU. This got me thinking, what kind of methods would be used. A majority of us want the DP back since murderers are getting off so easily now and get to live life in prisons that are more like hotels. I think we need to go harsher on criminals. As far as I know the modern method was hanging. It had a good deterrent effect, considering that crimes permitting the death penalty skyrocketed right after the death penalty was abolished in the 1960's.

US seems to mostly use lethal injection now, but those drugs are very expensive, all so the condemned gets to fall asleep in bliss and there's no pain for even a fraction of a second.
    I would like to see the death penalty for the Lee Rigby killer, public place bombers/shooters, serial killers/1st degree murder, child killers, and terrorists.
    Last edited by WillyB; 08-02-2017 at 12:14 AM.

Senior Member Frequent Poster Alfred's Avatar
    Brexit is just one of the conditions before capital punishment could return to the UK. The UK is a member of the Council of Europe (which is a seperate organisation, apart from the EU).

The council established the European Court of Humans Rights, which prohibits the use of capital punishment. Russia, for example, is a member of the council as well, and is therefore also unable to execute.

WillyB
    I looked up the issue and it's likely will rewrite laws to be UK laws.

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    I think UK has not have the number of crimes like we can see in US but if it run again I am for death penalty I don't care if abolishers keep on saying it won't bring back the victims

WillyB
    Nothing will, locking them up doesn't bring back the victims either.
    I notice abolishers frequently use buzzwords such as 'barbaric' and 'uncivilized'.

Does that mean that soldiers shooting terrorists in the face is barbaric?
    By comparing the US to Asian or Middle Eastern countries, they're calling it uncivilized, which is basically calling most of the world, including Asian countries (Japan included, which has DP) uncivilized which comes across as hypocritical and racist...

Junior Member Stranger Don Sterk's Avatar
    Hate to break the mood here, but let's face it, countries which have abolished the DP and which are not close to becoming a dictatorship, will not bring back the DP. It doesn't matter what abolishers think, it matters what the average voter thinks. The USA and Japan are the only countries in this world who use the DP not for the sake of political power, but for the sake of the good of mankind. No offense to the US, but they can give us a clear reason why we shouldn't reinstate the DP: the legal struggles are bloody exhausting and very time consuming, not to mention the financial problems. A simple life sentence is far easier, cheaper and less time consuming than going through countless of legal battles and the like.

I wholeheartedly support the reinstatement of the DP, but the problem is, so many people do not. Especially in my country, The Netherlands, people don't feel like it's the right thing to take one's life, no matter how harsh their crime was. I always like to put myself in another position: what if it happened to one of yours? Many people, however, do not. I mean, sure, every person in their right mind would recommend the death penalty for known terrorists, but the fact is, we got past that station. Many people believe that it hasn't gone so bad since the DP was abolished, and I must admit, they're not so wrong. To me, however, it's not a matter of money or time, it's about morales and justice.

I can tell you right now, that the DP will never be reinstated anywhere in Europe (that includes the UK), unless an autoritharian regime gets on the rise, which obviously needs it to consolidate its power. The problem with this is, in my country it's a constitutional law that no one can ever be sentenced to death. Therefore, it would actually require an autoritharian (or rogue) regime to reinstate the DP. We all know that dictatorships use the DP in a wrong manner, unlike the USA and Japan, which use it for actual justice. This is exactly why it is so very important to make sure the DP doesn't get abolished. Because if it does, it will never come back, especially if it isn't a legal decision.

To go back to your question: Lethal injection would be the most likely candidate for execution. If the UK ever reinstates the DP, many european companies which provide the lethal injection drugs would be given a new light and would be keen to sell their drugs to prisons, as long as public support is sufficient (which it would most definitely be in case of a reinstatement). Hanging is probably a good second too, but the bullet is by far the easiest, cheapest and least painful method.

Member Newbie
    A Royal Commission sitting between 1949 and 1953 looked into the method of execution as well as other death penalty issues. After consider lethal gas, shooting, injection, guillotine and hanging. They concluded that the English method of hanging was Rapid, Clean and Dignified. The two modifications recommended were first, that the body removed after after death was certified rather than hang for one hour, and second that in double hangings that each of the condemned be afforded a seperate executioner and assistant.
    Albert Pierrepoint a exampler the craft, demonstrated an execution for the Commission. I am not aware of any complaints from the several hundreds that had received his ministration.
    Last edited by Cole; 10-26-2017 at 02:29 AM.

bluejayway
    The UK would never imho bring back the DP, I think there is more chance of it being abolished in the USA than it ever returning here.

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    at best I know uk used the rope for his death row

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder...alty)_Act_1965

Senior Member CnCP Addict Richard86's Avatar
    Britain won't be bringing back the death penalty anytime soon because the UK is planning to remain in the Council of Europe and therefore the European Convention of Human Rights, which also prohibits it (at least it does today, the original convention written by David Maxwell Fyfe contained an exemption to the right to life clause in cases of judicial execution, although this has since been superseded by later articles explicitly prohibiting capital punishment.)

But if they did, it would probably be by hanging. Let's face it, the equipment and training required are straightforward, it's the way the British have done it for a long time, and it doesn't have the problems associated with involving medical and other associated professionals who are more likely to refuse to take part that lethal injection has.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information