Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Thomas Hubbard Sentenced to LWOP in 2016 AL Murder of Ki-Jana Freeman

Hubbard found guilty of capital murder

By Tom Smith
    Times Daily

TUSCUMBIA — For the first time during the week-long trial, Thomas Hubbard showed emotion Thursday when a Colbert County jury found him guilty of capital murder.

Hubbard, who wiped away tears, will find out today whether he will be put to death or spend the rest of his life in prison without the possibility of parole. Colbert County Circuit Judge Jackie Hatcher said the sentencing phase of Hubbard’s trial will begin at 9 a.m.

The jury deliberated just over an hour Thursday before reaching their decision.

Hubbard, 33, 1100 Midland Ave., Muscle Shoals, was found guilty of capital murder and first-degree assault. He is accused of planning the shooting death of Ki-Jane Freeman, 19, of Tuscumbia, as retaliation after someone broke into his residence.

Freeman and a friend, Tyler Blythe, 19, Tuscumbia, who was 17 at the time, were both shot March 1, 2016, while sitting inside Freeman’s blue Ford Mustang.

The shooting took place around 11 p.m. in the parking lot of Spring Creek Apartments in Tuscumbia.

Freeman died at Helen Keller Hospital in Sheffield. Blythe continues to recover from his injuries.

“(Thomas Hubbard) caused the death of Ki-Jana Freeman through or by the use of a deadly weapon. This makes him accountable for the behavior of another,” Assistant District Attorney Angela Hulsey said during her closing remarks. “He helped facilitate it, he encouraged it, helped others commit the crime.

“Under the law he is accountable for the behavior of those others.”

Peter Capote and Benjamin Young, two members of the Almighty Imperial Gangsters, which Hubbard was said to lead, were identified as the ones who shot Freeman and have both been found guilty of capital murder and sentenced to death.

“(Hubbard) gave the order for Freeman to be murdered. He provided the SKS rifle. He gave them black plastic bags to put their clothes in and he went and hid the rifle,” Hulsey said. “Tommy 'Imperial' Hubbard gave the order to kill KJ and it was carried out. Thomas Hubbard made the decision to kill KJ, no one else.”

Defense attorney Jamy Poss, who along with David Bradley and Charlton Pope represented Hubbard, told the jury the state’s case was based on “circumstantial” evidence.

He then painted a scenario that it was Austin Dewayne Hammonds, who was the mastermind behind the shooting death as a way to coverup a break-in at Hubbard’s house.

Poss said it was Hammonds, Young and Young’s girlfriend who broke into Hubbard’s house on Feb. 28, while Hubbard and his family attended his grandmother’s funeral.

Police said Hubbard had Freeman killed in retaliation for someone breaking into his residence and taking money, a television, an Xbox and another computer gaming system.

Hammonds, a member of the gang, testified it was his Xbox stolen from Hubbard’s house. He said he came up with Freeman’s name as a possible suspect after Freeman posted an Xbox on Facebook for sale. He told Hubbard it was his, but it turned out it wasn’t.

Poss said Hammonds and Young planned the burglary and then planned on killing Freeman.

“(Hammonds) picked KJ to die. I wish I knew why,” Poss said. “(The prosecution) wants you to believe that Hubbard was the head of the gang and gave all the orders.

“This was a gang within a gang. Austin and Young got a plan to rob Hubbard and kill KJ. The mastermind, the leader, the one who picked KJ to die is Austin Hammonds, not Thomas Hubbard.”

Chief Assistant District Attorney Kyle Brown warned the jury about believing what he called a fantasy.

“There is zero proof of what (Poss) just told. His closing is fantasy land,” Brown said. “Don’t let the defense sell you reasonable doubt.”

He said there was no evidence to back up any of the defense’s theory. “It doesn’t matter who broke into the house, it’s about who ordered the killing.”

“There were no Sunday school teachers or community leaders in (Hubbard’s) bedroom hanging out with the Almighty Imperial Gangsters when they planned this killing.

“The facts are not fantasy. Thomas Hubbard sent them out to do his dirty work. This was an intentional murder. The evidence is clear, (Hubbard) intended for KJ Freeman to be killed.”

http://www.timesdaily.com/news/hubba...bef38e05f.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Hubbard will spend the rest of his life in prison

By Tom Smith
    Times Daily

TUSCUMBIA — Thomas Hubbard will serve the rest of his life in jail without the possibility of parole.

A Colbert County jury made the recommendation to Circuit Judge Jackie Hatcher Friday afternoon.

The jury delivered 35 minutes before returning its decision.

Hatcher has not set a sentencing date for Hubbard.

Thr 33-year-old Hubbard was found guilty of capital murder Thursday afternoon in connection with the March 1, 2016, shooting death of Ki-Jana Freeman, 19, of Tuscumbia.

Police said it was Hubbard who planned and ordered Freeman’s shooting death.

“We respect the jury’s decision, but we were obviously disappointed with the original verdict. However, I believe they came to the right decision today, determining there were no aggravating factors (in Freeman’s death) and life without parole is the right sentence,” said defense attorney David Bradley, who along with Jamy Poss and Charlton Pope represented Hubbard.

Colbert County Chief Assistant District Attorney Kyle Brown said the jury’s recommendation is reasonable.

“They did not find there was an aggravating circumstance in the case, and in that regard their only option was life without,” Brown said.

Brown said murder by shooting into a vehicle while the victim is there is not an aggravation factor by law.

“It’s a capital crime, but not an aggravating factor,” he said.

Testimony during the trial indicated the shooting was in retaliation after someone broke into Hubbard's residence.

Witnesses testified that Hubbard was the head of the Almighty Imperial Gangers, and he had two members of the gang — Peter Capote and Benjamin Young — commit the shooting.

Capote and Young have both been convicted of capital murder and sentenced to death.

Freeman and a friend, Tyler Blythe, 19, Tuscumbia, who was 17 at the time, were both shot while sitting inside Freeman’s blue Ford Mustang at Spring Creek Apartments.

http://www.timesdaily.com/news/crime/hubbard-will-spend-the-rest-of-his-life-in-prison/article_dd95a1c8-2a90-5eaa-bfef-3c093674947b.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Hubbard gets life in prison without parole

By Tom Smith
    Times Daily

TUSCUMBIA – Thomas Hubbard was sentence to life in prison this morning by Colbert County Circuit Judge Jackie Hatcher.

Hatcher announced her decision during a sentencing hearing.

Hubbard, 33, Muscle Shoals, was found guilty of capital murder on June 28. The following day, the jury recommended that he be sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Hatcher could have gone against the jury’s recommendation and sentenced Hubbard to death.

Hubbard was found guilty of capital murder in connection with the March 1, 2016, shooting death of Ki-Jana Freeman, 19, of Tuscumbia.

Police said it was Hubbard who planned and ordered Freeman’s shooting death.

Testimony during the trial indicated the shooting was in retaliation after someone broke into Hubbard's residence.

Freeman and a friend, Tyler Blythe, 19, Tuscumbia, who was 17 at the time, were both shot while sitting inside Freeman’s blue Ford Mustang at Spring Creek Apartments.

http://www.timesdaily.com/news/crime...05a5c6816.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Riley Hamm was sentenced to LWOP on October 17, 2019

http://www.doc.state.al.us/InmateHistory
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information