Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Everett Glenn Miller - Florida Death Row

Man guilty of killing 2 Kissimmee police officers to be sentenced Friday, may receive death penalty

Everett Miller was convicted in 2019

By Christie Zizo
    clickorlando.com

KISSIMEE, Fla. – A hearing Friday could result in a death sentence for the man accused of killing 2 Kissimmee police officers in 2017.

Evertt Miller was convicted in 2019 for the murders of Sgt. Sam Howard and Officer Matthew Baxter. A jury at the time recommended the death penalty.

A motion filed by Miller’s attorneys tried to take the death penalty off the table but was denied.

Miller is a Marine veteran who worked as a private defense contractor in Afghanistan.

In 2017, witnesses said he started arguing with Officer Baxter. Baxter called Sgt. Howard to the scene. There was an argument, and later Miller ambushed the two officers and killed them.

Miller did not have a criminal history prior to his arrest for the murders of Baxter and Howard.

Sentencing is set for 2 p.m. Friday.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/lo...death-penalty/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Same county as Markeith Loyd iirc.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member CnCP Legend
    Man convicted of killing 2 Kissimmee police officers sentenced to death

By Christy Turner
    WFTV.com

OSCEOLA COUNTY, Fla. — A judge in Osceola County sentenced a man convicted of killing two Kissimmee police officers to death.

It’s been nearly five years since Kissimmee police officers Matthew Baxter and Sgt. Sam Howard were killed in the line of duty.

In 2019, Everett Miller was convicted of their murders. Three years later he has now been sentenced to death for the crimes.

The death penalty was unanimously recommended by a jury.

At a hearing back in September, Baxter’s widow talked about the impact the murder had on her life.

“One of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do in my life is forgive someone who is not sorry for their actions,” Sadia Baxter said.

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/happ...MWSIMMQKYZYLY/

Miller entered Florida's death row on 5/17/22.

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/OffenderSe...rowroster.aspx
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Judge Greg Tynan handed down a death sentence to Miller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rNpU7wKmzM
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Oral arguments in Miller’s direct appeal are scheduled for September 6, 2023 at 10:40 AM EST.

https://acis.flcourts.gov/portal/cou...7-96a2e1d91306

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Florida Supreme Court hears death penalty appeal over 2017 police murders

By Tom Urban
    WCJB 20 News

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (NSF) - The Florida Supreme Court on Wednesday heard a death penalty direct appeal by Everett Miller, convicted of the 2017 murders of two Kissimmee police officers.

A jury last year unanimously recommended Miller receive the death penalty for the killings of Officer Matthew Baxter and Sergeant Sam Howard. According to prosecutors, Miller shot the officers in their heads, before moving both bodies and shooting them again in the face.

Attorney George Burden is representing Miller during his automatic death penalty appeal. Burden says there is no doubt about his client’s guilt. However, he says the killings were not premeditated. Burden says PTSD from serving in the Marines and other untreated mental health issues helped lead to the killings.

“This is a tragic first-degree murder, where the system failed everybody. The system failed Mr. Miller. The system failed these officers”, said Burden. “He felt threatened. He was paranoid. He wasn’t taking meds anymore. He was unshaven, unshowered, wearing the same clothes every day, like somebody who is mentally ill.”

Representing the state of Florida, attorney Patrick Bobek says Miller initiated contact with the deceased officers, with the goal of killing them.

“These were execution-style killings. Both officers were shot in the back or the side of the head. They never even got a chance to unclip their guns from their belts,” said Bobek. “The evidence doesn’t show that he was scared of police. The evidence shows that he hated them, and he wanted to strike back. He kept saying he wasn’t going to be a statistic. He said if they came for him, he was ready.”

Every person sentenced to death receives an automatic direct appeal to the Supreme Court. There is no timetable for when the court will make its ruling.

https://www.wcjb.com/2023/09/06/flor...olice-murders/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Conviction and death sentences affirmed on direct appeal.

https://supremecourt.flcourts.gov/co...C2022-0745.pdf

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information