Thread: Jordan Michael Hazel Sentenced to Life in Prison in 2017 TN Slaying of Keara Hazel and her Two Children

Jordan Michael Hazel Sentenced to Life in Prison in 2017 TN Slaying of Keara Hazel and her Two Children

Keara Hazel and family

3-year-old Kayden and 9-month-old Jaylynn

Clarksville man charged with homicide in deaths of mom, 2 young children

By WKRN Web Staff

CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – A 27-year-old man faces three counts of homicide in the deaths of a young woman and her two children on Thursday.

Clarksville police say Jordan Hazel was booked into jail around 9:30 p.m.

His arrest comes after officers were called to a home on Mills Drive shortly before 11 a.m. Police say he was detained outside and taken to be interviewed.

Inside the home, the suspect’s wife—Keara Hazel, 23—and his two young children—Kayden, 3, and Jaylynn, 9 months—were found dead.

Authorities say they had all been shot to death. A motive wasn’t immediately released.

The investigation is ongoing and evidence is still being processed. Anyone with additional information can contact Detective McClintock, 931-648-0656, ext 5465, call the TIPSLINE 931-645-8277.

http://wkrn.com/2017/09/14/2-childre...rksville-home/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Triple homicide suspect had history of drug arrests in Clarksville

By Stephanie Ingersoll
    The Leaf-Chronicle

A Clarksville man charged with killing his wife and two young children had a history of drug arrests and had been convicted twice on probation violations.

Jordan Michael Hazel, 27, was arrested Thursday on charges he fatally shot his wife, Keara Wynn Hazel and their two young children, 3-year-old Kayden, and 9-month-old Jaylynn.

At age 23, he was charged with simple drug possession and a probation violation, according to documents obtained by The Leaf-Chronicle.

He was stopped on Pembroke Road on Sept. 21, 2013, for not having a front bumper, and Clarksville Police officers could smell marijuana in his pickup, according to an arrest warrant.

Police searched the truck and found marijuana in a cigarette box and a black digital scale behind the front passenger seat.

He pleaded guilty to both charges, and a drug paraphernalia charge was dropped. He was sentenced to 11 months and 29 days in the Montgomery County Jail

He filed a motion in that case in June 2015, asking to have his fines and fees waived. In that motion, he said he had been incarcerated at the workhouse from April 21 to June 19 and said he had student loans to pay as well as household expenses for himself, Keara Hazel, and their then-11-month-old son.

He promised to "be a law-abiding citizen." That motion was denied but then granted a year later when it was heard before a different general sessions judge.

In April 2015, there was a petition to revoke Hazel's probation after he failed two drug screenings and tested positive for marijuana, according to court documents.

In a separate case, Hazel was charged with speeding, driving under the influence and violation of the state's implied consent law.

According to an arrest warrant, a Tennessee Highway Patrol trooper was running radar on Interstate 24 on March 19, 2014, when he observed Hazel speeding.

The trooper wrote that he stopped Hazel and smelled marijuana when he approached the vehicle. The trooper asked Hazel when he last smoked marijuana. Hazel told the trooper he had smoked marijuana earlier that evening, according to a warrant.

Hazel failed a field sobriety test and was arrested.

The speeding and implied consent charges were later dismissed, and Hazel pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of reckless driving and to a probation violation.

In a third case, Hazel was also charged with simple possession and speeding in January of 2014, but those charges were later dismissed.

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/stor...lle/669810001/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Man accused of killing wife, kids wanted to 'start over'

Before beginning a 12-hour attack that would leave his wife and two young children dead, Jordan Hazel walked to a friend's house to pick up a shotgun he'd left there, a detective testified Friday.

Hazel walked back home, stopping in his driveway to load the gun.

He then went inside and began firing, shooting his wife, 23-year-old Keara, their 3-year-old, Kayden, and their 9-month-old daughter, Jaylynn, at least twice each, he told police.

"The only motive I have is he said he wanted to start his life over," said Clarksville Police Detective Frederick McClintock during a preliminary hearing Friday. "He was trying to separate himself from his past."

Keara Hazel and the two children were found dead inside the family's home on Mills Drive shortly before 11 a.m. Sept. 14.

When police Sgt. Patrick Seay arrived, Hazel was outside, a woman was screaming that he'd killed Keara and the officers thought two children were still alive in the house, according to testimony.

Seay said he and another officer called for the children, but the house was quiet.

In the hallway, Seay saw a blanket covering something on the floor. A hand was visible, but when he touched it, it was cold. He lifted the blanket.

"It was a child, deceased," he said.

Keara Hazel was found on the floor of the bedroom, propped up against furniture. It was immediately obvious she was dead as well, Seay said.

In a crib against the wall, the officers found the infant. She, too, was beyond help.

McClintock said Jordan Hazel was taken in for an interview. He testified Hazel told him he had begun killing his family at about 8 p.m. the night before. Over the course of 12 hours, he said, he shot each one at least twice.

He was "calm and collected" as he talked, McClintock testified.

"He said he was trying to change his life, start a new life, start over," McClintock said.

McClintock said Hazel told him he was not under the influence of alcohol or drugs when he carried out the killings or during the interview.

He got emotional only once, when he talked about the deaths, but for most of the four-hour interview "his demeanor stayed the same," McClintock said.

McClintock said the crime scene team collected Hazel's shotgun, to-do lists and letters from the home.

The preliminary hearing was to establish probable cause for the case to move forward to a grand jury.

Judge Wayne Shelton said because of the "heinousness" of the crime, the multiple victims and the possibility that it could be a death penalty case, no bond would be set. The case was bound over to a grand jury.

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/stor...ver/872160001/
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Husband’s murder trial in slaying of wife, two young children moves forward

By Tavia Smith
    Clarksville Now

CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. (CLARKSVILLENOW) – A Clarksville man who confessed to murdering his family will stand trial this month after several motions asking for his case to be stayed and his trial continued were denied.

Jordan Hazel, 30, is charged with three counts of first-degree murder in the shooting deaths of his 23-year-old wife, Keara Hazel, and their two children, Kayden Hazel, 3, and Jaylynn Hazel, 9 months old.

On Sept. 14, 2017, Clarksville Police responded to the family’s home on Mills Drive, where they discovered the woman and two children shot to death. During the investigation, Hazel admitted to Detective Fred McClintock that he had murdered his family.

On June 9, Hazel’s attorney, Public Defender Roger Nell, argued in a competency hearing that his client was not mentally stable to stand trial. Judge William Goodman ruled Hazel was mentally capable to participate in his defense but had decided not to.

At his trial conference on Wednesday, Aug. 12, Nell filed several motions surrounding the ruling on Hazel’s competency and asked that the trial, scheduled to begin Aug. 24, be stayed or continued.

He also asked for a continuance based on COVID-19 related issues.

Assistant District Attorney Kimberly Lund said the state is ready for trial and has witnesses ready to move forward.

Goodman said the case has been pending for a substantial amount of time and denied all requests for stays and continuance.

Additionally, he said several provisions have been put in place to meet COVID-19 state regulations including social distancing when seating jurors, plexiglass installments at the witness box and podium, and masks requirements.

https://clarksvillenow.com/local/hus...moves-forward/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Jordan Hazel pleads guilty to murdering wife and 2 young children

By Tavia Smith
    Clarksville Now

CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. (CLARKSVILLENOW) – The courtroom was quiet as Kimberly Lund, assistant district attorney, explained how Jordan Michael Hazel shot his wife in the head with a shotgun and, after leaving the home, returned and then shot his two young children before taking a shower and going to bed.

The details moved many court onlookers to tears, including Keara’s family, investigators and police officers.

Hazel, who was scheduled to begin a jury trial on Aug. 24, entered a surprise guilty plea on Tuesday, Aug. 18, in Judge William Goodman’s court.

Hazel, 30, was charged with three counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of his 23-year-old wife, Keara Hazel, and their two children, Kayden, 3, and Jaylynn, 9 months old.

On Sept. 14, 2017, Clarksville Police responded to the family’s home on Mills Drive, where they discovered the bodies. During the investigation, Hazel admitted to Detective Fred McClintock that he had murdered his family.

On June 9, Hazel’s attorney, Public Defender Roger Nell, argued in a competency hearing that his client was not mentally stable to stand trial. Goodman ruled Hazel was mentally capable to participate in his defense.

After asking Hazel if he was medicated and understood what he was doing, Goodman accepted the plea agreement and sentenced Hazel to life in prison.

Under the agreement, Hazel pleaded guilty as charged to three counts of pre-meditated first-degree murder and agreed to three life with parole sentences. The agreement ultimately gave him two life sentences, as two of the charges will be served at the same time, but in conjunction with the other. He will serve 110 years before being eligible for parole.

Before the hearing, Karen Griffin, the mother of Keara Hazel, hugged Clarksville Police investigators and thanked them for their hard work investigating the case.

“They went above and beyond,” Griffin said of the police and District Attorney’s Office. “To me it showed how this had impacted everyone’s life.”

Following the hearing, she hugged Hazel’s public defender, Roger Nell.

“I told him I prayed for (Nell) and it was no ill will. God used him to help, too,” Griffin said. “I’m not bitter, but I hate what Jordan did. I hate the sin, but not the sinner. I feel sorry for him, because he is going to live with this every day. I’m going to live with the last good memories I have with Keara, Kaden and Jaylynn. It was filled with hugs, kisses and I love you’s.”

Griffin said if she could speak to Hazel, she’d want him to know:

“This Bible verse was in Keara’s purse laying on top: 1 John 3:18: ‘My children our love should not be just words and talk, it must be true love which shows itself in action.’ Jordan, your actions were not love. Your actions were pure evil, but I serve a mighty God who forgives and redeems. My prayer for you is that my God saves your soul and his mercy be upon you before you reach God’s final judgement.”

The confession

The investigation determined that Hazel premeditated the murders and, despite later claiming to be mentally incompetent, he killed his family to start a new life.

Hazel told police he went to his friend Logan Price’s home on Sept. 13 and got his Mossburg shotgun.

When he got to the family’s home at 221 Mills Road, he sat in his driveway and loaded the shotgun.

He went in the home, called Keara from their bedroom and, as she started to come out of the room, he shot her at point blank range in the head and neck, killing her.

His son, Kaden, began following Hazel around the home.

Hazel told police he left the home and went back to Price’s home, leaving his kids alone with their dead mother.

Hazel went back to the home, called Kaden to him and shot him in the head, killing him.

He then murdered Jaylynn, shooting her in the face as she lay in her playpen.

After shooting, his baby, he took a shower, called his family and went to bed around 11 p.m.

Around 3 a.m., he woke up and shot his already deceased family members again.

After showering and cooking breakfast, he went for a drive in the country towards Stewart County.

He stopped to buy sweet tea from McDonald’s and threw his cell phone out of the car on his way back home. He stopped to get gas but couldn’t because his card was declined.

Then he drove near Tennova hospital, parked and read the Bible and a men’s devotional before returning to the home.

He made more phone calls and then took a nap.

He was awakened by Keara’s mother, Karen Griffin, who was knocking on the door.

Hazel told police he could “solve everyone’s problems and he wanted his past to die so he could start a new life.”

Griffin drove from her home in Stewart County that day and found Jordan Hazel at home and her daughter’s car in the driveway. She soon discovered her daughter dead and called 911. She later learned the children had been murdered too.

Lund said it was a tough case, and a lot of people were affected by it.

“This case has been especially difficult for everyone involved,” Lund said. “I’m grateful to the Clarksville Police Department for all the hard work during the investigation. The loss of Keara, Kaden and Jaylynn has impacted many in this community. I hope that this brings a little peace to those hurting.”

https://clarksvillenow.com/local/jor...oung-children/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information