Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jecorian McCray Sentenced to LWOP in 2016 FL Murder of Joe Brenton

Man pleads guilty to 2nd-degree murder in 2016 shooting death of UNF employee

Dakarai Maxwell shot Joe Brenton, investigators say

By Frank Power
    News4JAXnews.com

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – A man who investigators said fatally shot a University of North Florida employee has pleaded guilty in the case, Duval County court records show.

According to court records, Dakarai Maxwell pleaded guilty Oct. 28 to second-degree murder in the 2016 shooting death of UNF information technology engineer Joe Brenton.

Maxwell has a sentencing hearing Dec. 12, but he won’t be sentenced at that time.

The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office responded to the homicide call on Sept. 21, 2016, where Brenton was found dead of several gunshot wounds. Investigators determined that through jail calls, Jecorian McCray, who was behind bars, ordered his brother, Maxwell, to kill Brenton.

According to investigators, the order against Brenton was due to Brenton’s scheduled testimony against McCray and Maxwell in a related burglary case in which the brothers were suspected of breaking into Brenton’s home and were caught on surveillance cameras.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...-unf-employee/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Man who pleaded guilty in 2016 shooting death of UNF employee sentenced to life in prison

Staff, News4JAX

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Man who previously pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the 2016 deadly shooting of a University of North Florida employee was sentenced to life in prison Friday.

Court records show Dakarai Maxwell, who was 17 years old at the time of the murder, was ordered by his stepbrother Jecorian McCray, who was already in jail, to kill UNF information technology engineer Joe Brenton.

Brenton was found shot to death in September 2016. According to investigators, McCray told Maxwell to kill the UNF employee because Brenton was supposed to testify against McCray in a 2014 burglary case in which the brothers were caught on camera breaking into Brenton’s home.

In court Friday, Maxwell apologized to his and Brenton’s family for his participation in the murder. He also denied being the shooter.

Judge Tatiana Salvador sentenced him to life in prison with review after 25 years and gave him credit for 5 years served in jail.

Maxwell believed he would get a lighter sentence and told the judge he wanted to withdraw his plea. She told him he could appeal the sentence.

McCray was convicted of murder in May 2022 and is serving life without parole.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...ife-in-prison/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information