Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alabama Execution Team Discussion

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar

Alabama Execution Team Discussion

With the present thread, I would like to start a little discussion about one big problem apparently emerging in the State of Alabama.

Theoretically speaking, the State of Alabama could become the best death penalty state right now. Prosecutors are open to seek the death penalty steadily and frequently, every year we have a guaranteed number of new death sentences (do not forget about the non-unanimous jury rule) and new executions, and there are no kangaroo courts like the TCCA giving out stays like candies. Still, we have a problem, a huge problem: the extreme and absurd incompetence of the execution team.

It is not acceptable that EVERY SINGLE TIME the execution team has to take hours to establish an IV line, a process that - in a normal person and in other states, like Texas - is completed in a matter of minutes. We're supposedly talking about professionals here, not amateurs. I can concede that Doyle Hamm's veins were extremely compromised by his cancer and his drug-addiction past, but he should have been the exception, not the norm. Every single time, media witnesses report of abnormally long waits, obscure communication, and unjustified delays which tarnish the entire process with an incomprehensible shade, and often happen to imperil it. This time, Alan Miller execution has been called off. Last time, Joe James' sentence has been carried out on the razor's edge. What will happen next time?

I would like to discuss this matter with you all. What can be done about it? What do you think about it? Are my worries justified on exaggerated? I look forward to hear your opinon on that.

I mean this is only the third time out of many. James was a shock but it was somewhat predictable with Hamm and Miller, though I think Texas would have found one. They were able to successfully execute Arthur when SCOTUS ruled with 80 minutes left. The real problem here is that 6 measly hours is too damn short. The legislature should immediately change it to 24 hours, from 6 to 5:59, like it is in Missouri.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Senior Member Frequent Poster Steven AB's Avatar
    "If ever there were a case for a referendum, this is one on which the people should be allowed to express their own views and not irresponsible votes in the House of Commons." — Winston Churchill, on the death penalty

The self-styled "Death Penalty Information Center" is financed by the oligarchic European Union. — The Daily Signal

Senior Member CnCP Addict johncocacola's Avatar
    SCOTUS lifted the stay with only 1 hour and 20 minutes left before the warrant expired, I’m surprised they even tried with that little time left.

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    To be honest, I don't get the "timeline excuse" that much. In my teenage years, I had very bad health problems, and in those years I had to have IV lines established extremely often. I've never seen an IV line needing hours to be established. At the very maximum, in certain extremely problematic patients, 20-30 minutes.

Therefore, I still don't understand how Alabama execution team - theoretically a team of medical professionals - would need hours to establish an IV line on an apparently healthy man, strapped to a gurney.
    Last edited by Mastro Titta; 09-23-2022 at 10:37 AM.

Miller is obese. They should put them all on a diet.

There are also many differences with a medical procedure, such as that they must establish two lines, and that's only one part of the whole execution process.
    Last edited by Steven AB; 09-23-2022 at 11:06 AM.
    "If ever there were a case for a referendum, this is one on which the people should be allowed to express their own views and not irresponsible votes in the House of Commons." — Winston Churchill, on the death penalty

The self-styled "Death Penalty Information Center" is financed by the oligarchic European Union. — The Daily Signal

SCOTUS denied with more than two hours left.

It took like 30 minutes before they left the media center and they had to sit in the van for nearly an hour before they were let inside the prison.

That right there is unacceptable
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Lack of adroitness notwithstanding, the 6 hours has ruined execution dates before - Christopher Price's first execution date for instance.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Here’s what I think: All states should perform executions at 10:00 AM and have a 7 day window

Also Ohio executed a guy that was nearly 500 pounds and had no issues. So Miller must have had some other problems other than his morbid obesity
    Last edited by Bobsicles; 09-23-2022 at 11:44 AM.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Night executions are a way to emphasize their solemnity.

True as well that obesity does not completely preclude the establishment of IV lines, but it is often a problem and the essential cause of too much executions delayed or called off. The state should nourish death row inmates in such a way to avoid that.
    Last edited by Steven AB; 09-25-2022 at 02:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information